Ware: "I picture myself a lifetime Cowboy"

NFL_ware1_250.jpg

Dallas Cowboys outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware’s gigantic payday is looming.

And the star pass rusher expressed confidence today that a lucrative contract extension is an eventuality, not a possibility.

During a radio interview with 1310 The Ticket in Dallas, per Tim MacMahon of the Dallas Morning News, Ware said he’s certain that something will be hammered out soon enough.

“I picture myself a lifetime Cowboy,” Ware said. “Yes, I do.”

It’s unclear exactly how rich a deal is in the offing for Ware, but it’s reportedly expected to be finalized within the next month.

Not that Ware is sweating it, though.

“There’s not a deadline at all,” Ware said.  “But at the end of the day, I’ve got one more year, so it’s got to be done in a year. Right?”

Presumably, the Cowboys could always apply the franchise tag to retain Ware.

However, that’s not their stated plan.

Throughout this offseason, Cowboys team owner Jerry Jones and his son, Stephen Jones, have made it abundantly clear that Ware remains their top priority at the bargaining table.

So, Ware will eventually become a very rich man.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Contracts, Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
14 Responses to “Ware: "I picture myself a lifetime Cowboy"”
  1. houskat says: Jul 9, 2009 4:04 PM

how do I logout from this site?

2. jimicos says: Jul 9, 2009 4:05 PM

Here’s more lifetime cowboys:

3. titan87 says: Jul 9, 2009 4:15 PM

Haynesworth said he pictured himself to be a lifetime Titan as well

4. Bill In DC says: Jul 9, 2009 4:15 PM

Ware is a class act and my personal favorite Cowboy player (I now am the proud owner of a D Ware game jersey – replica)
    To think that Jerry Jones had to overrule Parcells in 05 and force him to take Ware at #11 instead of Marcus Spears (the guy Parcells was hot for).
    Ware handled the Ellis situation with equal class, declining to get into a pissing match thru the media. Ware simply stated that he played in over 95% of the defensive snaps last season and left it at that. There doesn’t appear to be much room for Ellis’ story to be true.

5. WarLoxx says: Jul 9, 2009 4:45 PM

Good news for Cowboys fans but it is hard to call this anything new. I guess maybe Ware has never said “I picture myself a lifetime Cowboy”. No secret he will be signed and will remain a Cowboy.

6. Vox is an Idiot says: Jul 9, 2009 4:48 PM

Looks like DeMarcus Ware will never win a playoff game.

7. dakotah says: Jul 9, 2009 5:27 PM

What a coincidence. Years ago, Greg Ellis probably pictured himself as a lifetime Cowboy. Hope it works out for you DeMarcus.

8. JimmySmith says: Jul 9, 2009 5:32 PM

He might want to picture himself winning a playoff game. Its been over a decade since that happend to the Dallas Cowboys. He also might consider holding the other team to below 44 points when the playoffs are on the line.

9. VoxVeritas says: Jul 9, 2009 5:52 PM

Haynesworth is a criminal of a tool. Don’t mention him in the same discussion with Demarcus Ware.
    Hey JimmySmith, the Packers may want to consider whether they belong on the same field as the Dallas Cowboys. They’ve only won like two of the last 15 games against them. With or without BertFarve.

10. MrNatural says: Jul 9, 2009 6:47 PM

# houskat says: July 9, 2009 4:04 PM
    how do I logout from this site?
    ————————————————
    Throw an anchor overboard while hanging on tight. Do not let go!

11. KingJoe! says: Jul 9, 2009 7:40 PM

“…if they pay me more then anyone else.”

12. ppdoc13 says: Jul 9, 2009 8:40 PM

Well said JimmySmith. If DeMarcus pictures himself on a Superbowl or playoff winning team, he better find a different uniform. As long as Jerrah Jonz is the GM and still trying to prove that his 4th appendage is bigger than Jimmy Johnson’s, the Cowboys are doomed to falling short of the mark. The only way Jerrah Jonz could get the job of GM was to have enough money to own the team. Otherwise he is as qualified to be a NFL GM as I am. Maybe less so.

13. houskat says: Jul 10, 2009 12:17 AM

MrNatural says: July 9, 2009 6:47 PM
    Throw an anchor overboard while hanging on tight.Do not let go!
    —————————————
    LOL!

14. MasterShake says: Jul 11, 2009 4:43 PM

Rhinestone Cowboy for life!