Andre Rison is still looking for attention

Former NFL receiver Andre Rison still considers himself to be the greatest wideout to ever play the game.

Per the Altoona (Pa.) Mirror, roughly 10 to 20 kids have signed up for the two-day camp to be held later this week by Rison, in conjunction with former Michigan State teammate and NFL running back Lorenzo White.

The event takes place at the satellite campus of the University of Pittsburgh, in Johnstown.

On the first day of the camp, Rison won’t say anything about his on-field exploits.  On day two, he’ll show them his highlight reel.

“That’s when I really let them know, in my eyes, I was the best to ever play the game,” Rison said.

Wow.

Frankly, we don’t know what’s more sad — a guy like Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite who thinks he was a break or two away from making it as a pro athlete (and who buys a time machine on the Internet in the hopes of getting there) or a guy like Rison, who simply can’t move on beyond a good career that he believes to have been much better than it really was.

Rison spent 12 seasons in the NFL, appearing on seven different teams:  the Colts, Falcons, Browns, Jaguars, Packers, Chiefs, and Raiders.  He last played in 2000.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Cleveland Browns, Green Bay Packers, Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Andre Rison is still looking for attention”
  1. jmh0203 says: Jul 14, 2009 1:48 AM

This is the football version of Kenny Powers. Mike, I hope you have seen Eastbound & Down.

2. JustinG says: Jul 14, 2009 2:02 AM

Who?

3. Display Name says: Jul 14, 2009 2:12 AM

Andre who? Please post a link to his Hall of Fame profile so I can read about his ‘hall of fame’ career… how long should I wait for that link?

4. ihateskelator says: Jul 14, 2009 2:47 AM

5. webman says: Jul 14, 2009 6:50 AM

Nothing worse than some loser who can’t even type a sentence without a spelling error (Uncle Rico had nothingto with the time machine. Wha?) Kip found the machine, Uncle Rico bought it, little dummy.

6. Fan_Of_ Four says: Jul 14, 2009 7:16 AM

Andre Rison ?
    Oh you mean the Dude that hung out with MC Hammer on the sidelines in ATL ? I’m shocked that he found 20 kids who would actually pay him to attend ?

7. IStateYourName says: Jul 14, 2009 7:23 AM

I wonder if he dresses like a TV anchor and pretends he’s on TV when he shows them the clip…how pathetic…

8. saturn111 says: Jul 14, 2009 7:30 AM

@ ihateskelator
    go to 2:00.
    know that of which you speak before you open your fool mouth.

9. Heinekenfun says: Jul 14, 2009 7:36 AM

Andre Rison…, the greatest ever? I don’t think so…, Rison had his chance to show us all what he had. And he was a pretty good Wide Receiver. But until he can throw a football over that mountain from here…, then I say he’s one place behind Uncle Rico on the all-time greatest list.

10. EdReed4prez says: Jul 14, 2009 7:55 AM

Uncle rico totally bought the time machine. Remember him limping from the electrodes on his nuts? “I bet I can throw a football clear over them mountains.”

11. tristate says: Jul 14, 2009 8:05 AM

I wonder if his girlfriend burning down his house will be on the highlights?

12. JMClarkent says: Jul 14, 2009 8:07 AM

“nothing worse than getting a movie reference wrong. Uncle Rico had nothingto with the time machine. Minature dummy. ”
    Nothing worse than being wrong about someone getting a movie reference wrong. Also note that spell check is your friend. “Miniature” dummy.

13. TFBuckFutter says: Jul 14, 2009 8:16 AM

“ihateskelator says:
    July 14, 2009 2:47 AM
    nothing worse than getting a movie reference wrong. Uncle Rico had nothingto with the time machine. Minature dummy.”
    Aside from buying it on the internet?
    Your mom goes to college.

14. Bud Grant says: Jul 14, 2009 8:24 AM

Highlights of Andre Rison’s career: Chris Berman’s nickname for him and a burning mansion.

15. urbusted says: Jul 14, 2009 8:33 AM

Oh yes, what fond memories of Mr. Model and Mr. Rison I have as a Browns fan! Yes, I remember Model taking out a loan to sign Rison to an absurd contract that Model couldn’t afford and Rison couldn’t live up to. That bit of stupidity could easily serve as the incident that marked the beginning of the end of the Browns in Cleveland. It was more a symptom of mismanagement and poor talent evaluation however.
    As far as Rison being the best ever to play, I would say that he wasn’t even in the top ten or so of Browns wide outs from the 80s to present day.

16. Big Stretch says: Jul 14, 2009 8:50 AM

Rison 743 rec 10205 yrds 84 tds
    Irvin 750 rec 11904 yrds 65 tds
    Maybe he is on to something

17. hayward giablommi says: Jul 14, 2009 8:53 AM

Florio, its funny how you write a headline stating “Andre Rison is still looking for attention” and proceed to bury the guy because he has an inflated sense of self importance.
    Yet you report on every lame thing that Chad Johnson does like it is actual news, when his antics are much more lame and over the top than anything Andre Rison did on or off the field during his career.
    Consider your own reporting before you out yourself as a hypocrite.

18. thediggler says: Jul 14, 2009 8:58 AM

ihateskelator,
    nothing worse than getting a wise-a$$ comment wrong about someone else getting a movie reference wrong.
    what movie were you watching? kip and uncle rico definitely bought a time machine in napoleon dynamite.
    freakin’ idiot.

19. patsSB44champs says: Jul 14, 2009 9:14 AM

Evidently he retired so that he could get high and not be subject to the league’s substance abuse program.

20. tv says: Jul 14, 2009 9:25 AM

There is, obviously, some kind of ego disease that afflicts NFL WRs.
    Someone should look into a corrective drug.

21. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Jul 14, 2009 9:35 AM

♪ I see, bad moon Rison!
    ♪ I see, trouble on da way!
    ♪ I see, earthquakes and lightnin’!
    ♪ I see, bad times today!
    ♪ Don’t go around tonight!
    ♪ Cos’ it’s bound to take your life!
    ♪ There’s a bathroom on the right!…….

22. rcunningham says: Jul 14, 2009 10:10 AM

“hayward giablommi says:
    July 14, 2009 8:53 AM
    Consider your own reporting before you out yourself as a hypocrite.”
    I find it funny how much you have to reach to try and insult Florio. At least Ochocinco’s antic are entertaining, Rison is just an idiot if he thinks he’s the best who ever played.

23. Kevin from Philly says: Jul 14, 2009 10:14 AM

Freddie Mitchell is laughing as he reads this story.

24. Jackson says: Jul 14, 2009 10:19 AM

# SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: July 14, 2009 9:35 AM
    ♪ There’s a bathroom on the right!…….
    _________________
    that’s the wrong lyric, here is what you mean
    ♪ There’s a bad moon on the rise.

25. tom skiffington says: Jul 14, 2009 10:29 AM

i think freddie mitchell might have something to say about that…

26. jkr says: Jul 14, 2009 10:34 AM

Better numbers than that crackhead Michael Irvin and he’s in the hall,look it up.

27. ZombieRevolution says: Jul 14, 2009 10:54 AM

“And he’ll tell anyone who’ll listen — even if it’s a sparse audience of youngsters who have paid to attend his football camp.
    Per the Altoona (Pa.) Mirror, roughly 10 to 20 kids…”
    This is why this site will remain high on the “Lame-o-meter”. A) its not your story (so what else is new). B) The other recent story on this site about Rison (oddly again, not originally your story) states “The Atlanta Journal-Constitution caught up with him (Rison)”, meaning they sought him out, they gave him the attention. C) this site does the background work level of a high school newspaper: “roughly 10 to 20 kids…” . So you could not be bothered to check out the details of the story?
    Florio hammers ESPN, yet his laundry is just as soiled…..

28. Agent Michael Scarn says: Jul 14, 2009 11:26 AM

So these kids are paying money to go to a camp where Rison is going to show them highlight videos of himself. Well spent money right there.

29. gameday says: Jul 14, 2009 11:36 AM

A.R. – 10,205 yards
    ********************
    M.I. – 65 Td’s
    A.R. – 84 Td’s

30. accidental_overdose says: Jul 14, 2009 12:04 PM

@jkr,
    True, he put up some impressive numbers; but keep in mind that a lot of his stats were padded due to the fact that his best years came playing in the Run-n-Shoot in Atlanta. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan, but the team was terrible and they always had to throw. In Dallas, they had a run-oriented offense. Just sayin.
    And as for highlights, let’s not forget the slap-fest he had with Deion Sanders the year Deion was with the 49ers and proclaimed the GA Dome to be “my house!”

31. JSpicoli says: Jul 14, 2009 12:17 PM

No one is the greatest. Most productive? Sure. The insulant debate as to who owns the title of GOAT is stupid and ignorant to the team aspect of the game.
    To say Rison was just another “good” receiver is to show you do not remember that he was great for most of his career. I’ll give him that. dude was in the top 20 all time, all of your snark comments aside.

32. mrmagoo says: Jul 14, 2009 12:30 PM

Big Stretch says:
    July 14, 2009 8:50 AM
    Rison 743 rec 10205 yrds 84 tds
    Irvin 750 rec 11904 yrds 65 tds
    Maybe he is on to something
    ___________________________
    Only if the point is that Mike shouldn’t be in the hall.

33. hayward giablommi says: Jul 14, 2009 12:32 PM

@ rcunningham
    I am not one of these geniouses who constantly comes on here to bash Florio. If I thought he sucked, I wouldn’t waste my time here.
    I do not find Chad Johnson, err, Eightfive funny or entertaining in the least bit. He is an annoying douchebag with diminishing skills who has never won a playoff game. He is the only one who thinks of himself as a future Hall of Famer, he has accomplished NOTHING and is a far bigger douchebag than Andre Rison ever was.

34. Bobarian says: Jul 14, 2009 1:51 PM

@ hayward
    “Therefore, I find it odd that PFT bashes Rison while glorifying and promoting Eightfive.”
    Only if you think ridiculing “Ocho-stinko” as glorifying and promoting.

35. JayBot says: Jul 14, 2009 2:19 PM

Irvin is not the right comparison if Rison is arguing that he’s the greatest of all time.
    J.R. – 303 games (284 as a starter)
    A.R. – 186 games
    *********************
    J.R. – 1,549 receptions
    A.R. – 743 receptions
    *********************
    J.R. – 22,895 yards
    A.R. – 10,205 yards
    ********************
    J.R. – 207 Td’s
    A.R. – 84 Td’s
    For the sake of amusement, let Andre Rison continue to try to impress the world 20-30 children at a time, but we all know Andre is not even in the G.O.A.T. team picture.

36. HEPennypacker says: Jul 14, 2009 3:37 PM

Napoleon Dynamite sucked

37. peteo says: Jul 14, 2009 6:11 PM

who cares?

38. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Jul 14, 2009 9:25 PM

# SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: July 14, 2009 9:35 AM
    ♪ There’s a bathroom on the right!…….
    _________________
    that’s the wrong lyric, here is what you mean
    ♪ There’s a bad moon on the rise.
    I did actually know the correct lyrics. I occasionally change them around for my own amusement, and to not infringe on copyright laws (any more than I have already).

39. MasterShake says: Jul 16, 2009 11:28 PM

Is this story real? Can’t be. Where’s the LeftEye comments? I call shenanigans!