Jags preseason home games likely will be blacked out

For anyone in Jacksonville who is sick of watching preseason NFL games this year, we have good news.

There will be two fewer preseason games on local television.

The reason?  According to Paul Kuharsky of ESPN.com, the Jaguars’ two preseason home games are expected to be blacked out.

This means that the games won’t be aired live, or on a tape-delayed basis.

“The cost to produce the game is exactly the same whether it’s in prime
time or on tape delay at 11 or midnight,” WTEV general manager Jeff
Whitson told Kuharsky.  “From a recouping-our-costs standpoint, advertisers are
not going to get the same value and can’t be charged the same.  The
economics of the game’s whole plan change except for the expenses.”

But the games will be re-aired on NFL Network, along with the league’s other 63 preseason games.

The bigger question is whether the Jags can sell enough tickets to avoid a blackout of their regular-season home games.

Or whether they can make a bigger tarp by September.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
11 Responses to “Jags preseason home games likely will be blacked out”
  1. TealDeal says: Jul 16, 2009 10:46 AM

I think they should replace the tarps with slip-n-slides for the 1pm Sept-Nov games.
    That’s entertainment!

2. Horatio says: Jul 16, 2009 10:47 AM

Just move this team to Los Angeles already. For those who want to bash me for this, consider that the Jaguars couldn’t even sell out their stadium when they were on their way to the playoffs in 2007. Maybe it’s bad karma left over from 1999 when the Jags players recorded a “Super Bowl Shuffle” during the season…and then failed to make it to the Super Bowl.

3. J. Clayton says: Jul 16, 2009 11:06 AM

The stadium was built way too large.
    It’s a really simple concept – meditate for a few days and try to absorb it.

4. J. Clayton says: Jul 16, 2009 11:14 AM

Horatio – I was at the game where the Jags wrecked the Raiders in December of 2007, and it was sold out.
    Where’d you get your info?
    Here?

5. DCViking says: Jul 16, 2009 11:34 AM

Will anybody miss this if it’s not televised?
    This is not a dig at Jags fan, but other than maybe the first 5 – 10 minutes of any pre-season, how many people actually watch these things?

6. Horatio says: Jul 16, 2009 11:48 AM

J. Clayton, please read[url]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/179620-jaguars-need-new-strategy-to-sell-tickets[/url]
    For the first few years, the stadium was the center of all entertainment in Jacksonville for ten weeks out of the year.
    As the newness wore off, and the team went through various cycles of success and struggle, the Jaguars saw a portion of the season ticket base peel off. These numbers grew each year until rock bottom was hit in 2002.
    The team was eventually forced to reconfigure the stadium to remove nearly 10,000 seats from their non-premium seat inventory in an effort to stem the tide of potential blackouts.
    The move to tarp over those seats paid off for the Jaguars by allowing them to get the stadium more in line with what the market could support, avoiding blackouts as a result.
    From 2005 through the 2008 season, ticket renewal rates increased by double-digits annually, giving the team an indication that the strategy was paying off.

7. JaxPhillyPhan says: Jul 16, 2009 12:02 PM

I’m a transplanted Eagles fan living in Jacksonville and the truth is that this town is still a college football town, period. The Jags are well loved, but the hardcore football fans around here care far more about the Florida, FSU & Georgia seasons than they do about the Jags. Or in other words, there’s enough football fans in this city to support the Jaguars, they just don’t. Sad, but true.

8. Heinekenfun says: Jul 16, 2009 12:24 PM

Moving the Jags to Los Angeles would only appease the NFL Suits who want to have a NFL team in the second largest media market in the country. I have yet to hear about NFL fans in Los Angeles asking for a new team there. I’ve never heard ANY fans asking for a team in LA.
    It’s just a revenue generating move the NFL wants. If LA gets a team.., it’ll be the same problem Jacksonville has. Other interests prioritized and potential blackouts of the local broadcast. LA has had and lost two teams already. Why waste the effort again, when there’s probably a more viable market available like Norfolk/Hampton Roads, VA? or Birmingham, AL? San Antonio, TX? I’m sure there are stronger markets where a NFL team could survive

9. joe.attaboy says: Jul 16, 2009 5:22 PM

JaxPhillyFan:
    You couldn’t be more wrong. This issue has been studied over and over. The plain fact is, based on local television viewing, NFL football swallows college football by huge margins in this market. Your theory also compares apples-to-oranges: there’s ONE NFL team in Jacksonville, but there are fans of the three teams you mentioned, plus a few more.
    Your not-buying-Jags-tickets theory also makes no economic sense for another reason. Gainesville is up to an hour from Jacksonville. Tallahassee is almost three. Same for Albany, Georgia. Miami is six hours away, at best. The cost to travel to any of those schools and get tickets, eat, park and stay over night (which many would do) far exceeds the cost of going to a single Jaguars game for two local people.
    I’ve had season tickets for the Jaguars since the beginning. My daughter just graduated from Florida State, so I’ve four years of experience doing both stadiums. My costs for my wife and I to go to Tallahassee on a Saturday were not cheap. Single-game tickets could run $50 or more each. The trip back and forth is an easy 360 miles from my home. If you stay the night, that’s another $100 minimum easy (especially for parents’ or homecoming weekends). Add in food at the game, and taking the child and a few of her friends out for dinner after the game…well, you do the math.
    My tickets at the Jack cost $65 per game each (we have two). We use the city shuttle to get to the games, and that’s now about $6 per game each with the season pass. We don’t eat or drink a lot, but we might spend $15-2o on food and beer between my wife and I. So the cost of a local game is often cheaper, if not at least *comparable* to traveling to a school on a Saturday for a college game.
    Your theory is also specious based on the fact that you mentioned three universities. There’s one NFL team. There aren’t enough fans of each team collectively to have that great an impact on the NFL team.
    The issues the Jaguars have selling tickets are well-known. The stadium was built too big (ironically, part of the reason was to support bigger crowds for the Florida-Georgia game each year). Covering the seats has worked, as another poster mentioned. The team has kept ticket prices reasonable. While season ticket sales may slump, the team sells a lot of walk-up seats on Sundays, and the place is usually crowded even for blacked out games.
    But, the economy being what it is, it’s going to be a while before some folks will buy tickets again. Plus, it’s a well-known fact that this team has been dismantled for a rebuild. None of us really know what we’re going to see on the field this season. In my case, I don’t care. I love football, and this team. I work in Washington DC and I fly home for every home game.
    The team can also solve a lot of it’s problems by doing one thing: winning. If this team’s rebuilding plan works, either now or in the coming seasons, and they begin to play well, it will be just like the Coughlin playoff years here. They’ll be beating the fences down to get in.
    We’re no different than any other market that’s struggled in bad economic times.

10. Jim says: Jul 17, 2009 5:00 PM

One reason the Jags don’t sell out when they are not in playoff contention (or if they are) is that this is a transient town. There are probably more transplanted Steeler/Packer/Bear/Dolphin/Falcon fans than native Jacksonville. These fans end up at a sports bar at 1:00 on a Sunday afternoon instead of buying season tickets to the Jags.

11. JaxPhillyPhan says: Jul 20, 2009 4:04 PM

joe.attaboy:
    Studied by who…The Times Union? Gimme a break.
    Just because these schools are not located in Jacksonville, does not mean that my argument makes no economic sense. I agree, it’s not cheap to make the trek out to Tally or Gainesville. What I’m asserting is, many fans who cannot afford to attend both, will have to choose one or the other. And its my opinion that the college games often prevail in that choice. Granted, I am not using a scientific study. I do however know lots of people in this town (including several alumni of said schools) who will bend over backwards to go to a Gators or Seminoles game, but will only go to the Jags if someone gives them a FREE ticket. I’m not saying its everybody, but I personally know more than one.
    If there’s not enough college fans “collectively” to impact the Jags then why was the stadium built “too large”, oh yeah to hold all the Florida & Georgia Fans! It seems that you’re the one who’s not making sense pal.
    I’m not comparing apples to oranges, I’m comparing football fans to football fans.
    Finally, the whole blame-it-on-the-economy thing is crap. The Eagles sell out every game, every year, win or lose, rain or shine, good economy or bad, good team or bad, playoff-run or rebuild. That city loves that team so much that the fans will pack the place just to boo if the birds are sucking it up. ***another sign of legitimate fans – booing – I’ve never heard anyone boo the Jags even when they deserve it and I’ve been to many Jags games*** I can’t believe I’m going to use this as an example, but the Cowgirls haven’t won a playoff game since 1996, and I don’t believe they’re having trouble getting butts in the bleachers.
    This is typical, a Jags fan defending and making excuses for the Jags poor attendance, insteading acting like a real fan and giving your own team crap for doing a half-assed job.
    Dude, I’m sure you are a hard-core Jags fan and I respect that. The larger point is that the college football programs have been entrenched in the culture of this area for year and years and years. Generations have gone to these schools and watched these teams play. The Jags just don’t have that kind of love going for them.