Favre factor doesn't result in quick sellout of Vikings games

Single-game tickets for six Vikings regular-season home games went on sale at 10:00 a.m. EDT Monday, amid incredibly strong indications that quarterback Brett Favre will emerge from his Second Annual Retirement to play in Minnesota.

Ninety minutes after the ticket window went up, seats still remain for every game.  (Tickets to home games against the Packers and Bears have not yet been released for purchase.)

Moments ago, we tried via the Vikings’ web site (and its link to TicketMaster.com) to purchase two seats together for each of the six games:  September 27 against the 49ers; October 18 against the Ravens; November 15 against the Lions; November 22 against the Seahawks; December 13 against the Bengals; and January 3 against the Giants.

And, in each case, we still were able to score seats.

So maybe the locals are taking a wait-and-see approach regarding Favre’s apparent arrival.

Or maybe the locals simply don’t care.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
45 Responses to “Favre factor doesn't result in quick sellout of Vikings games”
  1. Desides says: Jul 20, 2009 11:39 AM

Why would Vikings fans cough up to watch the quarterback they rooted against since the early 90s throw INTs that damage their team? They’re used to being on the receiving end of those INTs.

2. jarfitz says: Jul 20, 2009 11:41 AM

or maybe it’s that the locals dont want to pay to go sit in a big inflatable toilet

3. pkrjones says: Jul 20, 2009 11:42 AM

Maybe the Vikings fans aren’t as stoopid as the rest of the civilized world thinks, although by electing Al “I’m good enough, I’m smart enough” Franken to the Senate I still have my doubts.
    Favre’s “aw shucks” routine has gotten old, and most are now seeing him as the spot-light-seeking liar that he is. IF he signs and reports the rest of the tickets will sell, otherwise there will probably be blackouts.

4. olcap says: Jul 20, 2009 11:50 AM

Or, maybe the locals feel that having this pompous drama queen on the team will not help them, and may hinder their chances for success.

5. realityonetwo says: Jul 20, 2009 11:52 AM

Or maybe you’re an idiot.

6. LBPACKFAN says: Jul 20, 2009 11:53 AM

Vikings suck.

7. houskat says: Jul 20, 2009 11:54 AM

I’am glad the Saints won’t face Farve in the RS….

8. akuehn713 says: Jul 20, 2009 11:55 AM

Vikings fans are the most fair weather fans in sports. They won’t sell squat until a win or two is in the books and then they are THE GREATEST TEAM EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! until they lose a game.

9. tarken10 says: Jul 20, 2009 11:55 AM

The problem is that the “locals” know an over-rated team when they see one, and don’t need to spend money/watch it in person, to appreciate the train wreck to come.
    Favre, or no Favre, the Vikings still have Childress at the helm, and no one, but no one, believes he’s capable of commanding a successful run to the Superbowl. He simply doesn’t have enough grey matter to lead the team to a championship.

10. coach carl says: Jul 20, 2009 11:59 AM

Shouldn’t be a surprise….vikes fans make a lot of noise, and are highly visible most of the time, but if they have to pay for tickets, they become VERY scarce….after all, they’d rather be “out in the yard”, or fishing or something……
    It’s no wonder they were nearly blacked out six ( yes SIX) times last season, seven if you count the home playoff game…..

11. Bud Grant says: Jul 20, 2009 12:02 PM

You’ve had some stories on the Favre situation that were clearly aimed at generating site traffic, but this story is pure bullshit. You have created your own standard of success for Vikings’ ticket sales and then, surprise, they fail to meet that standard. How do other teams’ ticket sales go on the first day? How have Vikings’ ticket sales gone in past years, good economy or bad, good team or bad? Without an independent standard for comparison, there is no reasonable, intelligent way to pass judgment. Or perhaps you simply don’t care.

12. cliffcla says: Jul 20, 2009 12:08 PM

And there are still special lower level reserved seats for federal employees. There are enough open seats together for church groups also.

13. longrodvanhungendong says: Jul 20, 2009 12:09 PM

How are ticket sales for the other 31 teams for comparison? I’m not seeing the story here.

14. swede700 says: Jul 20, 2009 12:09 PM

It’s more than the team, it’s the place they play. It’s an awful stadium to go see a game. It takes a half-hour to wait in line for the bathroom and you can’t move an inch in the concourse without running into someone.

15. Fan_Of_ Four says: Jul 20, 2009 12:11 PM

Hmmmm…. so the Vikings didn’t sell out all their games in ninety minutes, could it be that there is a recession going on and it has nothing to do with Brett Favre ? Hard to buy tickets to games when you don’t have a job. I’m just saying…

16. Lockmode says: Jul 20, 2009 12:12 PM

True, tickets are still available, but iin horrible sections. I guess it’s fine if you dont mind sitting in the 20th row of the end zone in the upper level. Plus theres nothing there if you want more than 3 or four seats. THE BEST WAY TO GO IS GETTING SEASON TICKETS SO YOU CAN GET THE PACKERS AND THE BEARS GAMES! For the price of them its in your best interest. And i can guarantee as soon as Favre signs they will sell out the season.
    GO VIKES!!!!!

17. cliffcla says: Jul 20, 2009 12:15 PM

Yes, Favre is not a Viking yet. Even if he was I could not perchase a single game greenbay ticket or chicago ticket. Then there are some games that are not availible unless you purchase a preseason ticket also… Why would I pay full game price for a preseason ticket?

18. vikes4ever says: Jul 20, 2009 12:16 PM

Best seats available for the Ravens game are upper deck row 14. Given the fact that the Vikings quitely announced that tickets would be on sale today, they are not afraid of not selling out every game. Usually it is a big hype when tickets first go on sale. Maybe you should check and see how fast other teams are selling out tickets before you start critizing the Vikings!

19. Ralph says: Jul 20, 2009 12:18 PM

Thank goodness you’ve made a home for the pondscum from Wisconsin to post about what great fans they are.
    The other 357 days when there isn’t a Packer game, the fans from Green Bay have two choices for entertainment.
    1. Sit in the garage, drinking turpentine and talking about games they can’t go to.
    2. Come to the Twin Cities for real entertainment.

20. 38yrVikingFan says: Jul 20, 2009 12:24 PM

It is amazing how all these Vikings Haters and these so called Vings fan, that’s right so called, post these comments bashing Favre, Childress and the Vikes. The bottom line is Chidress is the coach, the Vikings are either going to be Superbowl Champions, or they are not. A TRUE fan is going to support their team regardless, and if they do not succeed, then get ready for next year. I definitly know what that’s like, but am not going to bash a member, coach or future member of my favorite team. If you do not like the possibilitys of Favre with the Vikings, and you call yourself a Viking fan, than show your true colors and pull for whoever wins the S.B. If you are tired of the Favre saga, then stop coming on these post. If you are a TRUE fan, than LET’S GO VIKINGS! “

21. ZombieRevolution says: Jul 20, 2009 12:25 PM

Since Favre has yet to actually sign with the Vikings, anyone buying tickets because of him is going to wait. Once again your bias against Favre shows and your need to generate web traffic.
    And to the guys once again pointing out all of Favre’s INTs- yep, all 310 of them, Favre did have 464 TDs. In how many of those TDs did a DB celebrate- knowing he just got schooed?

22. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Jul 20, 2009 12:25 PM

The Vikings have had bandwagon fans for years. Not caring when they are winning is a new low–even for Vikings fans, especially not being able to sell a home playoff game! In the past years, corporations would buy up the tickets to prevent blackouts, but when that gravy train dried up, the local TV stations bought them to save their advertising revenue.
    Season tickets were sold out once and that as after Randy Moss came to town and the Vikings went 15-1. 2 years later, you could buy season tickets without a problem. Anyone blaming the economy is way off base and would have to explain why they’ve had problems over the past 15 years.

23. empty13 says: Jul 20, 2009 12:26 PM

isnt “favre factor” a new tv show? talk about overexposure!

24. longrodvanhungendong says: Jul 20, 2009 12:26 PM

You need some new material guy! Why don’t you write about Chad Pennington. Where will he be after next year? He is a capable starting QB but the Phins said they are gonna give it to Henne after 2009. Or Addai and Maroney, will they be resigned or are they gonna hit the market? I don’t think they have earned a big contract/extension.

25. zygi milf says: Jul 20, 2009 12:28 PM

There is no Favre factor. As of now, there hasn’t been any announcement that he is employed by the Vikings, or any other team.

26. 38yrVikingFan says: Jul 20, 2009 12:31 PM

27. Marty says: Jul 20, 2009 12:34 PM

what a joke..

28. J.Cannon says: Jul 20, 2009 12:43 PM

29. Devils Advocate says: Jul 20, 2009 1:08 PM

OMG! Florio couldn’t even hold it for 12 hours and 14 minutes before he sharted his pants!
    The “Days Without a FART/FAVRE Meter” is still reading zero.
    Farted by Mike Florio on July 20, 2009 11:26 AM ET
    PS- who gives a flying fart in space except the 3 amigos – and you three know who i mean.

30. BrownsFanMan420 says: Jul 20, 2009 1:13 PM

or maybe you should wait a day or two

31. rcunningham says: Jul 20, 2009 1:17 PM

“# J.Cannon says: July 20, 2009 12:43 PM
    I agree with Bud Grant. This “story” is disingenuous. Not to mention that Mr. Florio’s argument has been that the Vikings are more likely to sell out games after Favre has signed on the dotted line not before that time. I’m going to be 100% honest I haven’t bought tickets because I cant afford them for one (I just graduted from college and am still waiting on my signing bonus) and two I work on sunday’s. There’s nothing fair weather or don’t care about me. I was a fan of the Vikings when Sean Salisbury, Warren Moon, Brad Johnson, Randall Cunningham, Jeff George, Daunte Culpepper, and Tjack, and Gus Frerotte, were the quarterbacks and will be even if Favre does not sign with the Vikings.”
    But were you fan when Spergon Wynn was our QB?

32. samh says: Jul 20, 2009 1:26 PM

What, couldn’t blame this on on Jack Del Rio or Jacksonville’s crappy fans?

33. sportfan1234 says: Jul 20, 2009 1:37 PM

longrodvanhungendong says:
    Great Thoughts! There is just so many possible stories and the old media & new media (Bloggers like Florio) concentrate so much on what they get the most hits for instead of what would be the most interesting. They are letting the tail wag the dog so to speak. If someone actually wrote well thought out football articles not just fluff and rumors there would be a following. Maybe not as huge a following and thus not as much money but there would be a following.
    As a result…the writer might actually be respected by his readers and also the reader might actually be respected by the writer.
    It’s hard to imagine Florio or others who write this type of crap sitting back and watching the number of hits…then reading some of the comments and saying to themselves “I would really like to meet my readers and spend an evening with them”…no way! They have created a following of lemmings who they love to mock which in turn makes them feel like they know so much more about football than those reading…ugg what a vicious circle.

34. SteveC says: Jul 20, 2009 1:43 PM

who wants to pay to watch the career INT leader in action? Nobody cares about Favre anymore unless he is playing your team and throwing pick 6’s like it’s his job…oh wait a minute it is!!

35. jrmbadger says: Jul 20, 2009 1:53 PM

“Bud Grant says:
    July 20, 2009 12:02 PM
    … How do other teams’ ticket sales go on the first day? ”
    Well, the Packers don’t sell individual game tickets. Season tickets have been sold out for years and the waiting list for them is so long my granddaughter probably will be the one to finally get them.

36. Bud Grant says: Jul 20, 2009 2:32 PM

rcunningham,
    I was a fan when Gary Cuozzo, Bob Lee, and Norm Snead were the quarterbacks on the roster, as well as for years before that and every day since. Don Riley of the Pioneer Press always referred to Cuozzo as “Unitas’ caddy.” Bob Lee was a better punter than quarterback, and he wasn’t that great as a punter. Norm Snead had one good year left, but it wasn’t in Minnesota. He is best remembered as the guy traded for Sonny Jurgenson and the guy traded for Fran Tarkenton. BTW, we still were 11-3 that year, largely thanks to the Purple Gang.

37. grannyvi says: Jul 20, 2009 2:38 PM

Holy crap! Not every Vikings fan is enamored with the idea of the egoist, Lord Favre, gracing us with his presence this year. I believe he’ll do us more harm than good on the field and in the locker room. He’s already making noise about not wanting to go through the rigors of training camp (why doesn’t that surprise me?). What…he’s too frigging special? Typical of someone who believes all the glowing things written about him in the past (WAY in the past) and who’s been given every free pass there is from every sports reporter in the country. He hasn’t been “about the team” for many years. He’s been all about Favre and no one but Favre.
    Good God, Florio. Get over your freaking man-crush on this has-been.

38. purpleguy says: Jul 20, 2009 4:35 PM

The Giants and Jets can’t even sell out their new stadium without reducing prices. Before all the usual suspects trash Viking fans, wait and compare the Vikings’ ticket sales (and the time tickets take to get sold) to those of other comparable teams. They haven’t hardly publicized ticket sales yet for cripes sake. I’m a season ticket holder — I bet 75% of those posting above trashing the Vikings don’t buy season tickets for their team, yet still have the gonads to “call the kettle black”.

39. wilson says: Jul 20, 2009 5:07 PM

The only tickets left are the crappy 30 row back, upper deck ones. It’ll all sell.

40. Philtration says: Jul 20, 2009 7:29 PM

Maybe L.A. will get another team after all.
    After seeing those pics of that fruity looking new stadium that they want the Vikings uniforms will fit right in.

41. MN Viking in NY says: Jul 20, 2009 8:45 PM

I’m curious about something. To everyone out there questioning the loyalty of Vikings fans… who is your team?
    I am asked what I think about Brett every day. My response since day 1 has been as follows:
    “As a football fan, the man is a hell of a lot of fun to watch every week… except 2 (or 3) times a year. On the days that he stares down purple jerseys, I would have been just as happy to watch him go down with a broken leg.”
    The truth is that I’m not sure how I would feel to see Favre in a Vikings jersey. I won’t know how I feel until I see him gel with the team. If he makes the Vikings a better team, I’m a happy camper. If he becomes an obvious distraction, I’d be happy to see him sit on the bench or go away all-together.
    Don’t believe me? Ask a Vikings fan how they felt about Randy Moss leaving. I know many were happy to see the distraction leave Minnesota (despite his unquestionable level of skill).
    Skol Vikings!

42. MasterShake says: Jul 21, 2009 12:05 AM

Sellout and Favre used in the same sentence? Stellar!
    I am more relevant than Favre for Christ’s sake! I’ll be posting on another subject in less than five. Minutes! Not days, weeks, freeking sign already you piece of crap! Sure, you’d rather see Favre make a supposed ass out of himself on Sundays than me on here daily basis, but have some gumpshun(sp). Bless you!

43. GoBrettGo says: Jul 21, 2009 4:44 PM

Basically, would you rather stay home, drink a beer (with your pool stick in your hand) and watch the game or travel through the freezing (understatement) weather to watch the all time great Brett Favre command revenge against the F*U*D*G*E Packers?

44. PFTFuctme N. Changedmyname says: Jul 21, 2009 5:35 PM

J.Cannon says:
    July 20, 2009 12:43 PM
    I agree with Bud Grant…I’m going to be 100% honest I haven’t bought tickets because I cant afford them for one (I just graduted from college and am still waiting on my signing bonus) and two I work on sunday’s.
    _______________________________
    I LOVE this.
    What college did you just “gradute” from?
    CLOWN college?
    At your college, did they teach you anything about run-on sentences?
    How and when to use a comma?
    Or did you just do a Doogie-Howseresque skip right from Elementary school into college?
    (which might explain why you missed the lesson the lesson that should have taught you when and where to use an apostrophe (OR, even better, when NOT to use one!!)
    “I’m a gradute.”
    Classic.
    Now go buy your ticket, Stuart.

45. jimicos says: Jul 24, 2009 8:56 PM

Devils Advocate says:
    July 20, 2009 1:08 PM
    The “Days Without a FART/FAVRE Meter” is still reading zero.
    Farted by Mike Florio on July 20, 2009 11:26 AM ET