Words of wisdom from . . . Michael Irvin?

We’ll admit that we gave Michael Irvin a hard time during his stint at ESPN.  But we’ll also admit that we were moved by his Hall of Fame acceptance speech from 2007, and that we have viewed him in a much different light since then.

He is now in danger of making it onto our short list of living heroes, based on his recent appearance on NFL Network’s Total Access.

Despite his own bad behavior during his playing days (or possibly because of it), Irvin speaks with authority and wisdom when he discusses the current state of bad behavior in the NFL, and Commissioner Roger Goodell’s role in trying to minimize it.

Irvin particularly is close to earning a spot on the list of men we deeply admire because, unlike so many other former players, he understands the difference between a mistake and a lifestyle.

Irvin pointed out that he uses the term “bad decisions,” not “mistakes,” because no one accidentally does something they shouldn’t do.

And he’s right.  And we hope he keeps sending that message to anyone who’ll listen, regardless of whether they play in the NFL.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Legal, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
16 Responses to “Words of wisdom from . . . Michael Irvin?”
  1. madtowner11 says: Jul 21, 2009 9:20 AM

2. Skoal Brother says: Jul 21, 2009 9:23 AM

Aint no saint like a sinner saved

3. Perno says: Jul 21, 2009 9:24 AM

I’ve got a whole new respect for Irvin since watching his reality show 4th and Long on Spike. The man is quite a motivator. I like him a lot and now have a good deal of respect for him.

4. Bigbluefan says: Jul 21, 2009 9:33 AM

As someone who dislike Mike I saw his interview on Total Access and was impressed I have to say I have changed my mind it does look like he has grown up
    He said he would have made fewer bad decisions if Rodger was running the show back then.
    And he was 100% behind what the commish was doing to get the players under control.
    Will never like him as a player can not like a cowgirl but I can respect him as a man.
    Way to go Mike

5. empty13 says: Jul 21, 2009 9:36 AM

Saved
    (Leiber / Stoller)
    (I wanna soothe my my heart, I wanna ease my mind
    I wanna move my shoes and see what I can find
    I wanna stand up tall and open up my eyes
    I wanna reach out my hand until I touch the skies
    I was a poor lost lamb in a deep dark hole
    But now Ive found that light Im gonna save my soul)
    I used to smoke, I used to drink
    I used to smoke, drink and dance the hoochy-coo
    I used to smoke and drink, smoke and drink and dance the hoochy-coo
    Oh yeh! and now Im standing on thius corner praying for me and you
    I-i-i thats why Im saved Im saved
    People let me tell you bout kingdom come
    You know Im saved Im saved
    Well I can preach until youre deaf and dumb
    Im in that soul saving army beating on that big bass drum
    I used to cuss, I used to fuss
    I used to fuss, cuss, worry all night long
    I used to cuss and fuss, cuss and fuss,
    Cuss and fuss and worry all night long
    Well now Im standing on this corner, I know right from wrong
    I-i-i thats why Im saved Im saved
    People let me tell you bout kingdom come
    You know Im saved Im saved
    Well I can preach until youre deaf and dumb
    Im in that soul saving army beating on that big bass drum
    I used to lie, I used to cheat
    I used to lie, cheat, step onpeoples feet
    I used to lie and cheat, lie and cheat and step on peoples feet
    Well now Im steppin on to glory salvation in my beat
    Because Im saved, Im saved
    People let me tell you bout kingdom come
    I am saved Im saved
    Well I can preach until youre deaf and dumb
    Im in that soul saving army beating on that big bass drum
    Im in that soul saving army beating on that big bass drum
    Oh yeh! because Im saved, Im saved
    People let me tell you bout kingdom come
    You know Im saved Im saved
    Well I can preach until youre deaf and dumb
    Im saved, Im saved Im saved

6. Citizen Strange says: Jul 21, 2009 9:46 AM

I know that sometimes I sing too loud in church .

7. Travis_Henry's_Connect says: Jul 21, 2009 9:50 AM

Whats next? The Dom DeLuise Diet..

8. Brat Favre says: Jul 21, 2009 9:54 AM

FLORIO,
    Who is the “we” and “our” that “you” always refer to when “your” name is posted at the top of one of “your” posts?
    Just wondering if everybody at PFT really does agree with everything that you refer to as collective opinions.

9. sdffa11 says: Jul 21, 2009 9:58 AM

f that cokehead hypocrite. its easy for him to tell others to obey the law but he couldnt even do it himself. f him and the cowboys

10. VoxVeritas says: Jul 21, 2009 10:02 AM

“If they threw a flag every time he pushed off a DB to get open, he would have only had 10 catches his entire career in the NFL.”
    If your aunt had balls she’d be your uncle.

11. jwinn006 says: Jul 21, 2009 10:19 AM

I thoroughly enjoy listening to Michael Irvin. He is a passionate man who really seems like he is aware that he has made some major mistakes in his life. It’s nice to see someone bounce back every now and again. And well, as a Cowboys fan I will never forget his Hall of Fame speech. It was memoriable.

12. Coughlins Happy Pills says: Jul 21, 2009 10:27 AM

As a giants fan I will say my respect for the man has grown.
    He has taken full responsibility for his actions and that is the most he can do. He can never undo what he did, but he can move on and help people.

13. Jackson says: Jul 21, 2009 11:38 AM

# VoxVeritas says: July 21, 2009 10:02 AM
    If your aunt had balls she’d be your uncle.
    ——————————–
    bwaaaahahahaha. BURN
    Irvin has admitted his mistakes and tries to teach others not to follow the same road. I don’t know how else the man can do much else, but it will never be enough in some people’s eyes. His HOF speech was the best of all-time. even haters will agree with this.

14. Jackal138 says: Jul 21, 2009 4:05 PM

Michael Irvin has grown. Instead of smoking crack and stabbing teammates with scissors he’s smoking heroin and stabbing people with pruning shears.

15. sevendollarbologna says: Jul 21, 2009 6:49 PM

I’ll have to agree, I hated him as player, (and all his teamates on the crackwagon) but he’s really turned a new leaf! But, i’m sure his “words of wisdom” fall on deaf ears, with the NFL’s new thug generation.

16. Smush Rodrigez says: Jul 22, 2009 7:34 AM

Bad decision = coke off of a hookers ass.
    Misake = getting caught.