Broncos ink fifth-round wide receiver

NFL_mcdaniels1.jpgWith the clock ticking down to training camp, the Denver Broncos struck a deal with fifth-round wide receiver Kenny McKinley.

That leaves the Broncos with eight unsigned draft picks.

Per Mike Klis of the Denver Post, it’s a four-year deal. No financial details were mentioned.

McKinley caught 207 career passes for 2,781 yards at South Carolina.

UPDATE: McKinley received a signing bonus of nearly $200,000, and his deal has a base value of $1.95 million, according to a league source.

Meanwhile, the Broncos, who have previously signed center Blake Schlueter (seventh round), are working on first-round defensive end-outside linebacker Robert Ayers’ rookie deal.

Ayers is optimistic that his contract will be finalized prior to training camp with rookies and injured players scheduled to report Monday.

“I think I’ll be there on time ready to go,” Ayers told the Post. “They’ve all been working on it a lot and I think I’ll be in there the first day. I’m living close by and already moved in so I don’t have to come far when I get the word.”

An All-Southeastern Conference selection last season at the University of Tennessee, Ayers is expected to start at either outside linebacker or defensive end as new Broncos defensive coordinator Mike Nolan installs a 3-4 base defense.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Contracts, Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
7 Responses to “Broncos ink fifth-round wide receiver”
  1. hoipolloi says: Jul 22, 2009 10:15 PM

This might be the most useless piece of information you have ever posted.

2. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Jul 22, 2009 10:17 PM

Kenny McKinley will be pumping gas for a living soon enough.
    Sincerely,
    Lane Kiffin

3. INVAIDUH says: Jul 22, 2009 10:37 PM

Now piss him off and trade him.

4. Forevercorr says: Jul 23, 2009 1:04 AM

The problem is, McKinley only thought he had a contract after speaking with Bowlen. Bowlen might misremember later.

5. Al Davis' 40 Time says: Jul 23, 2009 2:08 AM

[Insert douchebag comment here]
    I love how people think their shit is so cool that they can criticize every piece of football news. Despite the fact that most of these guys own a fleshlight.

6. VegasBronco says: Jul 23, 2009 9:59 AM

Love the TROLLs when Bronco news is good. Kenny McKinley will run slot behind Brandon Stokley. Good that he is ready to go.

7. Forevercorr says: Jul 23, 2009 2:12 PM

Oh boo hoo. People make jokes. Thank goodness you guys are here to protect the internet. Look, I’m a huge Broncos fan, I just think that sometimes, jokes are funny. I think McKinley might be a bit of a steal, actually. But I also think after this offseason, anything, and I mean anything is possible.