For those of you who missed it, our FOX News debut

The last thing we envisioned upon joining forces with NBC Sports as of July 1 was that, before ever littering the airwaves of NBC, MSNBC, or CNBC, we’d land on FOX News.

But that’s precisely what happened Tuesday, as all hell was starting to break loose (except in portions of Connecticut) regarding the Ben Roethlisberger civil sexual assault lawsuit.

It all happened pretty quickly.  The request from FOX came via e-mail, the folks at NBC gave the appropriate blessing (or, more accurately, dispensation), our pal John Breen of WDTV/WVFX said that he could have the satellite equipment ready quickly, and so I hastily changed from my stay-at-home-in-basement blogger uniform and donned the attire of my former day job, making the two-minute drive (literally) to the WDTV/WVFX studio.

Here’s the final product, if you’re interested.  And we’re posting this only because our friends at Deadspin previously have determined that “there’s nothing funny or embarrassing to show you from [the] segment.”

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “For those of you who missed it, our FOX News debut”
  1. The Wishbone says: Jul 24, 2009 12:03 AM

so, you’re paid by NBC, appearing on FOX, and there’s a giant CBS logo in the background.
    And you have a problem with ESPN?

2. bigjoey46us says: Jul 24, 2009 12:13 AM

Awe look at Florio making it in the big time. Just a matter of time before your making spot appearances on NBC Football Night in America.

3. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Jul 24, 2009 12:15 AM

If it takes 2 minutes to drive to the TV studio, just walk instead. Or take Florio Jr.’s bike. Or skateboard. All healthier alternatives.

4. MasterShake says: Jul 24, 2009 12:16 AM

Big Time Florio! Outside of the initial look (you looked like the picture of that dude that was signed a few days ago, sorry for not having name, date, etc.) And the fact that you had your mouth open when you weren’t spewing, I thought you were outstanding! Where do I send my resume to get on the Florio wagon. Or should I say VW Bus! You keep keeping it real! Your tie was better than Shep’s but that patch of hair over your right eye needs to go. Holy shit! I sound like that TMZ hilton thing. That’s what PFT gets for cross-referencing.

5. brusta2002 says: Jul 24, 2009 12:56 AM

There wasn’t a satellite delay. It’s just the classic deer caught in the headlights look

6. JuicyMelon says: Jul 24, 2009 1:23 AM

Florio making the big time! I am happy it was on Shep’s show, he seems like a good guy. How come you never made an appearance on any NBC related news program? Did you and I missed it?
    What’s up with the comment login? I have to try like 4-5 times, then go to the main page, click on the story again, and finally the comment section posts.

7. mnmaverick says: Jul 24, 2009 1:25 AM

Maybe now you can convince all the clueless liberals that record spending and tax increases are not a good idea during a recession and teach the Prez proper grammer like how the cops acted “Inappropriately” while he talked “Stupidly”. ; ) Barack and Emmitt (Smith) talkin’ down to Amelica….

8. SpartaChris says: Jul 24, 2009 1:26 AM

Careful Florio. You’re getting dangerously close to being called a racist and a redneck, since you appeared on a “right wing” news station.

9. Shackman v2.0 says: Jul 24, 2009 1:32 AM

Not a bad segment at all, Mike, but now that you’ve hit the big time it’s about time you update your tv wardrobe. Maybe a couple of Brioni’s or Dolce&Gabana’s. You still look like you’re getting your stuff from the Mens Warehouse.

10. denver_high says: Jul 24, 2009 1:42 AM

Congratulations! I wish a national cable tv channel cared enough about my opinion to have me on their show. Good for you. Wonderful to see how this site has grown, in many aspects, during the time I’ve read it. I have enjoyed the ride.

11. mashoaf says: Jul 24, 2009 2:10 AM

The look on your face made it seem like you had more than Coco Puffs in the morning Florio. Are you sure you didn’t have any “special” brownies before going on Fox News?

12. johnthehillboy says: Jul 24, 2009 4:26 AM

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I know you have read so many emails from so many people over the years Mike so I don’t expect you to remember me.
    But, I have given my 2 cents here and there.
    One time you were even so kind that you helped me with some legal advice.
    So I guess what I am trying to say is that I am so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You have provided me with the best typy of NFL news for years and the NFL matters to me. So much so that I check your site 2 to 40 times a day.
    I am not only just happy for you but NFL fans all over the world.
    The NFL along with NBC should be writing you a check because you are good for them.
    So, really, were your first words on one of the “Big Five” (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, ESPN), “Thank-you to be with you Shep”.
    And ya, I put ESPN, “The World Wide Leader in Sports” in the Big Five even though they were all drinkin’ Whiskey this week instead of being jurnalists.
    Thanks again for all you do Mike. I am sure your family is proud.

13. brian_21 says: Jul 24, 2009 5:52 AM

Congrats on being on Fox, Mike.
    I can’t believe Shep ended by saying “We report. You decide.” Yuck! Especially coming from Fox News.
    But, luckily, Shep had one of the greatest moments in all of television history: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcKUN_0Cp0s
    Right on.

14. Darth Ringo says: Jul 24, 2009 7:12 AM

Good job on Fox. And nice to have a YouTube video again that actually, you know, plays.
    I can watch videos on ESPN, YouTube, NFL.com, Yahoo, MSN, CNN, the old ProFootballTalk… but not here.
    I’ve mentioned it a few times already: on the swanky new NBC player, videos stop and start replaying at 50 seconds.
    Maybe fix that??

15. rifraf66 says: Jul 24, 2009 7:30 AM

ok let me get this straight President Obama uses the word “Stupidly”(I dont beleive the police did by the way) and your going to attack him after 8 years of stuff like this
    ”I want you to know. Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me.”
    —President George W. Bush, Nashville, Tenn., May 27, 2004
    ”If you don’t stand for anything, you don’t stand for anything! If you don’t stand for something, you don’t stand for anything!”
    –George W. Bush, Bellevue Community College, Nov. 2, 2000
    ”I don’t particularly like it when people put words in my mouth, either, by the way, unless I say it.”
    —President George W. Bush, Crawford, Texas, Nov. 10, 2007
    ”You can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you need to concentrate on.”
    —President George W. Bush, at the 2001 Gridiron dinner
    i can go on and on and on

16. tt0074958 says: Jul 24, 2009 7:50 AM

Well, I guess congratulations are in order. You pushed a story hard, and even though you disregarded good journalistic practices or even a fundamental sense of decency, at least you got on TV. It’s that attitude which has already ruined conventional journalism. You’ve reached for that golden ring, and maybe you’ll get it.

17. PatsRPerfection says: Jul 24, 2009 7:52 AM

Love it Florio, good to see you on the only fair and balanced network out there. Everywhere else has that left wing spin.

18. tj.52 says: Jul 24, 2009 7:57 AM

Way to class up Fox News, Florio.
    Was that glimmer in your eye for ole’ Shep Smith?

19. Devils Advocate says: Jul 24, 2009 8:40 AM

Ben will you never learn? No means No.
    …..as the BIGBEN SEXGATE continues to roll.

20. Ravens Fan says: Jul 24, 2009 8:53 AM

Great job Mike. Glad to see some media are fair and balanced unlike the media in CT.

21. Bob S. says: Jul 24, 2009 8:57 AM

Good job!

22. Siddharta says: Jul 24, 2009 9:19 AM

Go head Florio with your bad self!

23. GoBears84 says: Jul 24, 2009 9:55 AM

if its only a two minute drive why doesn’t your lazy ass just walk? let me guess, you drive a prius (loaded to the max with navigation, i thought u bought it to SAVE money), and you only have to fill up once every 3 months?

24. Boom Boom Boom says: Jul 24, 2009 10:24 AM

rifraf, live in the now…

25. Desides says: Jul 24, 2009 11:04 AM

Florio, aren’t you an MSNBC/Olbermann fandrone? Appearing on FOX News must have felt like giving aid and comfort to the enemy.

26. Winston Wolfe says: Jul 24, 2009 11:18 AM

For the first time you looked Fair & Balanced Florio. This could be the highlight of your career.

27. JuicyMelon says: Jul 24, 2009 11:25 AM

rifraf66,
    Get over it. He’s not the President anymore.

28. Lord Norton says: Jul 24, 2009 11:39 AM

Rock it, Florio! Good job and congrats.

29. beaver1312 says: Jul 24, 2009 12:19 PM

Dude, there’s nothing you reported in this situation that makes you even remotely worth speaking about.

30. Abe Froeman says: Jul 24, 2009 2:10 PM

I watch FAUX News all the time. It lets me know what the nuts in the country are saying.

31. The Centurion says: Jul 24, 2009 2:24 PM

I cant believe you sold your soul and went on FOX News, so does this mean you were reporting slandered and biased news Florio?

32. cboatner says: Jul 24, 2009 3:51 PM