Report: Favre "conflicted"

nfl_favre1.jpgIs Brett Favre getting a case of cold feet?

According to Ed Werder of ESPN.com, the perpetually indecisive veteran quarterback “remains anguished” about his pending decision on whether to end his retirement and sign with the Minnesota Vikings.

Favre’s concern about his surgically-repaired biceps tendon in his throwing arm has reportedly subsided since he’s experiencing less pain now.

What Favre is reportedly worried about is potential criticism if he should return only to not be physically capable of performing at a high level for the entire season.

Per the report, which cited anonymous sources, Favre’s mindset is being influenced in a positive way by encouraging calls and texts from several Vikings players, including defensive end Jared Allen and running back Adrian Peterson,

“If it weren’t for the involvement of the Vikings players directly telling Brett they want him on their team, I think he might have already decided against playing again,” a source told ESPN.

According to Werder, Favre feels like he has a responsibility to the Vikings at this point.

In another piece of news, ESPN is reporting that Favre and the Vikings have agreed to terms on a one-year, $10 million contract.

However, Favre has yet to make up his mind, a recurring theme, about if he’ll ultimately sign off and join the Vikings officially.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Contracts, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
49 Responses to “Report: Favre "conflicted"”
  1. Buttered Izel Jenkins says: Jul 23, 2009 1:48 PM

The most.
    Dramatic.
    Rose ceremony.
    EVER.

2. rcunningham says: Jul 23, 2009 1:48 PM

Don’t back out now dammit, we need to see the fireworks!!
    But by all accounts, this looks like the deal is basically sealed.

3. AlanSaysYo says: Jul 23, 2009 1:50 PM

So PFT is reporting on an ESPN report that says Brett Favre is unsure of whether he wants to play again. That’s three layers of non-news.

4. Devils Advocate says: Jul 23, 2009 1:50 PM

WWWOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW-
    as soon as I mentioned it Aaron Wilson let’s one blast!!!!!!!! whhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwww
    that was some serious windage.
    “Days Without a Fart/Favre Meter” is now reset to zero.
    Farted by Aaron Wilson on July 23, 2009 1:45 PM ET
    Way to go Aaron – what a ripper!

5. nosferatu says: Jul 23, 2009 1:50 PM

Big shock here and to show how well Ed does his homework, in the original piece he states that Bevell was OC in Green Bay but he really never progressed higher than QB coach. Come on Ed your better than that…. aren’t you?

6. AmishGangsta says: Jul 23, 2009 1:50 PM

Dude’s not worth 10 mil. Not even close.

7. Rapistburger says: Jul 23, 2009 1:50 PM

This is just a puff piece by ESPN to take the heat off them and the Rapistberger fiasco.

8. Desides says: Jul 23, 2009 1:53 PM

“What Favre is reportedly worried about is potential criticism if he should return only to not be physically capable of performing at a high level for the entire season.”
    As opposed to the criticism he receives for his annual (un)retirement? We’ve been on Favre Watch for five years. Enough is enough.
    How about the criticism from Packers fans? They’re supposed to be his most devoted group of supporters, but instead he’s getting flak from them because he’s going to play for their biggest rival, the Vikings. And not just because he wants to keep playing football, but because he wants to beat the Packers, thus making Ted Thompson look bad by extension. That’s it.
    It’s a little late to start worrying about what people think of you, Brett.
    “Until Favre actually shows up wearing a purple Vikings uniform, we’re going to retain a healthy dose of skepticism.”
    Florio, you started the “Favre has a postdated contract” story. WHAT skepticism?

9. AllDay28GreenBaySucks says: Jul 23, 2009 1:54 PM

Favre will be in Mankato next weekend. Guaranteed.

10. Bob Nelson says: Jul 23, 2009 1:55 PM

Aaron check with the boss.
    The boss has put his lawyerly reputation, this sites, and now NBC’s reputation on the hundreds of Favre stories here. Especially how “Favre to the Vikings was a sure thing.”
    When a deal has never been agreed upon.

11. HarrisonHits says: Jul 23, 2009 1:55 PM

Drama Queen in action. He’ll keep playing games throughout the season if he signs and plays. Every week we’ll hear this sh*t.

12. Big Stretch says: Jul 23, 2009 1:55 PM

Ed Werder is an idiot. This story contains nothing new at all.
    I can’t believe it….Favre may stay retired….or unretired…wait is he retired?
    Seems like Brett Famewhovre was feeling left out with all the Big Ben and Mike Vick attention, perfect time to release absolutely nothing new to the world in an attempt to get some of the spotlight back on himself.
    I can’t wait for this guy to go away…..I just wonder if when it’s his time for the H.O.F. will he decide not to go in and then a week later decide not to go in, and then 3 days later announce he will make an announcement about going in..and then…and then…..and then…..and then….

13. Samuel L. Bronkowitz says: Jul 23, 2009 1:57 PM

oh dear god Bret STFU and go away

14. Contra says: Jul 23, 2009 1:57 PM

Lets see…would anyone else in America be anguished over deciding whether or not to make $10 million within 6 months? I want Brett on the Vikes but this just goes to show that he wants/loves the attention he is getting from not only the media but now also the players.

15. rollerball says: Jul 23, 2009 1:57 PM

“No! This can’t be true” “Please, someone tell all the Viking players to text, call Favre and beg him if need be.” “Or maybe we shouldn’t push him-what?-. I’m upset.

16. Dolphinatic says: Jul 23, 2009 1:57 PM

He should do us all a Favre and make up his mind.

17. vbeach31 says: Jul 23, 2009 1:58 PM

I’m actually refreshed to hear Farve news again..lol. Anything to get away from the Vick bashing. I hope Farve does play. All he has to do is hand the ball off to the best back in the league, and if opposing teams, dare to stack the box, and play man to man, they have 3 receivers who will run pass any corner in the league in: Berrian, Harvin, and Rice.

18. fc1_87 says: Jul 23, 2009 1:59 PM

What a drama queen.

19. pantherdan89 says: Jul 23, 2009 2:01 PM

OMG!!! A 13 yr. old girl is less indecisive. Do us all a favor and just go away you pansy ass.

20. billygoat says: Jul 23, 2009 2:02 PM

He needs to stay retired.

21. Abe Froeman says: Jul 23, 2009 2:03 PM

Breaking news!!!!!!!

22. billygoat says: Jul 23, 2009 2:03 PM

10 million for 1 yr. What are they drinking in Minny?

23. roofles says: Jul 23, 2009 2:10 PM

i dated a drama queen like this in high school, she had the stubble as well.

24. grannyvi says: Jul 23, 2009 2:11 PM

MAKE……..IT…………STOP!!!!!

25. favrecansuckit says: Jul 23, 2009 2:15 PM

Real shocker, most chicks can’t ever make up their mind, this one isn’t any different. Favre’s just waiting for Homecoming to break out his new purple dress. What a drama queen….

26. green&bold says: Jul 23, 2009 2:19 PM

And so it begins….I wanna play, but I’m not sure. I wanna play, but I don’t wanna practice. I wanna play, but if I drag my feet I can get my name in the paper some more. I wanna play, but now I would like the Vikings players to stroke my…..ego. Thanks for the memories but good riddance.

27. promichael says: Jul 23, 2009 2:20 PM

Please Bret come back this year 2009. This
    way we the football fan public will not have to
    listen to or hear anything about you playing
    football again after this season……..so please
    make your last hurrah the 2009 season. Now
    he’s acting like a neurotic old man. When the
    season starts he will need therapy big time.

28. ozzie says: Jul 23, 2009 2:21 PM

Great….Now Favre has another excuse if he stinks it up. “I didn’t want to play but the Vikings made me feel obligated to come out of retirement….again. That Jared Allen is so sweet and convincing I just couldn’t say no.”

29. LawDog says: Jul 23, 2009 2:29 PM

Florio, How do you go from “Favre to Vikings all but certain” to “a healthy dose of skepticism” in about 3 stories?
    Make up your mind.

30. LawDog says: Jul 23, 2009 2:31 PM

Sorry Florio, Please re-direct my comment to PFT in general.

31. VikingsPimp says: Jul 23, 2009 2:35 PM

The Vikings arent the Packers biggest rival, the Bears are the Packers biggest rival. That being said, being a Vikings fan I can speak for most of us when we say the Packers are our biggest rivals, though Packers fans hate the Bears much more

32. Sasquatch says: Jul 23, 2009 2:40 PM

Brett + Favre= Douche

33. rcunningham says: Jul 23, 2009 2:47 PM

“WWWOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW-
    that was some serious windage.
    “Days Without a Fart/Favre Meter” is now reset to zero.
    Farted by Aaron Wilson on July 23, 2009 1:45 PM ET
    Way to go Aaron – what a ripper!”
    You’ve posted this like 2000 times and still no one thinks it’s funny. OMFG HIS NAME IS FART LOLOLOLOLOL.
    I also like how everyone is saying “Screw you Florio!” when Florio didn’t post this story…

34. E-money says: Jul 23, 2009 2:47 PM

I don’t really blame Favre for being indecisive. After all, I have a tough time deciding whether to have ham and cheese or peanut butter and jelly for lunch.

35. packerfanfornot4life says: Jul 23, 2009 2:51 PM

hes just doing this annual routine of will I or wont i, just to make the headlines. If he is really second guessing himself this should tell everyone how committed he really is and that his only real reason is to stick it to the Packers. As a Packer fan this is great news, because it could tell the other QBs on the team that the big men on the team do not trust them and on the flip side if he signs then he may not be fully committed to the team and that will show on the field.
    Brett i love you for what you did for 16 years but you are a fool and a drama queen (Or is that a Vi-queen?)
    my new favorite bumper sticker read “we’ll never forget you Brent” (because u wont allow us to)

36. DePack says: Jul 23, 2009 2:51 PM

How does Ed Werder reporting and PFT copying that report that Favre is still undecided make Favre the drama queen. Favre wasn’t even quoted in the article.
    Until you dickless idiots realize that you are being played for ratings/hits on a website these non-stories will continue. Everytime somebody hits a website Florio makes cash from his sponsors. Don’t you dumbasses get it. FAVRE SELLS!!!
    Your welcome Mike!!

37. cliffcla says: Jul 23, 2009 3:07 PM

Come’on Brett………….We need something to make the games interesting…………………Even an old out of shape Favre is better than most QB’s

38. Gallagher says: Jul 23, 2009 3:18 PM

And the Mike Vick watch commences in Minnesota.

39. TNCM333 says: Jul 23, 2009 3:25 PM

“How does Ed Werder reporting and PFT copying that report that Favre is still undecided make Favre the drama queen. Favre wasn’t even quoted in the article”.
    Exactly. People lap this sh!t up w/o even thinking.
    Besides, everytime ESPN reports something the opposite usually takes place. Expect Favre to sign soon.

40. SpartaChris says: Jul 23, 2009 3:40 PM

VikingsPimp says:
    July 23, 2009 2:35 PM
    ====================================
    Every Packer fan I know hated the Vikings more. We at least respect the Bears. The Vikes on the other hand…

41. TheBaySay says: Jul 23, 2009 3:58 PM

“Anguished” my aching, dying butt. After the reports that some of the boys in lavender thought Jackson should be the QB, Bert just needed to get it out that a lot of them were begging for his presence. And so the heroic gunslinger “reluctantly” goes out to do battle and save the townsfolk one more time… yeah, right. The number of people who don’t know that you’re a self-absorbed prima donna dwindles with each day that passes, Bert. Step up and get ready to be knocked down.

42. Permission Denied says: Jul 23, 2009 5:03 PM

SpartaChris says:
    July 23, 2009 3:40 PM
    VikingsPimp says:
    July 23, 2009 2:35 PM
    ====================================
    __________________________________
    Funny, I was about to say the same thing!:
    Every Bears fan I know HATES the Vikings more. We can at least respect the Pack.
    The Vikes on the other hand…

43. ElCabong says: Jul 23, 2009 5:11 PM

Who would have thought that this post would bring Packers and Bears fans together in their mutual loathing of Minnesota? Now if we can only get Bert to work the Middle East peace process…

44. Jerimiah says: Jul 23, 2009 6:01 PM

If Brett Favre decides to play this year then good for him. If the Vikings decide to pay him the sum that is being reported then good for them. All of you sorry sorts that armchair these decisions need to get a life. I for one hope he does play and I hope he does well. If he doesn’t, too bad. Go for it Brett if you really want to and don’t let these losers make your mind up for you. They don’t know what they’re talking about anyway.

45. SpartaChris says: Jul 23, 2009 6:06 PM

Permission Denied says:
    July 23, 2009 5:03 PM
    Funny, I was about to say the same thing!:
    The Vikes on the other hand…
    ====================================
    Heh, amen to that!

46. ZombieRevolution says: Jul 23, 2009 6:13 PM

Let’s hammer Favre on being wishy-washy and use “a source”. Yea- sterling journalism on all fronts again….

47. empty13 says: Jul 23, 2009 7:08 PM

sure he is conflicted. he thinks he might ought to pimp them for more cash. and fewer contract clauses…

48. ChiTown85 says: Jul 23, 2009 11:03 PM

I was a lifelong, long-suffering Pack fan when Brett took over…..he made that team…period. I became a Brett fan because he did something that Majkowski, Lynn Dickey, Turdel Middleton (sp?) and a whole bunch of largely forgettable players couldn’t, made the Pack relevant and Winners! Look up the winning percentage of all NFL teams during Brett Favre’s career in GB…..pretty damn impressive!!! We were freakin’ lucky to get to 8-8 prior to Favre’s tenure. I do have to put out a huge shout for Reggie because his spirit and presence was also huge for those early accomplishments including the Super Bowl – the man was a stud.
    The Packers will be nothing for a very long time without him. I live in Chicago and the Vi-Queens are a natural object of derision for both the Pack and the Bears, however, I am looking forward to Brett joining the Vikings because I think he deserves to play it out. I really don’t think he is a prima donna. I just think he doesn’t really care what clowns that frequent Florio’s self-love fest think about him (including me).
    I hope the Vikes run the freak away with the Central and the NFC this year. Go Brett’s (Vikes!).
    Peace

49. texasPHINSfan says: Jul 24, 2009 11:52 AM

jesus.
    i really wish the vikings players were NOT sending him encouraging texts & messages. then he would stay retired and we wouldn’t have to hear from him again.
    i’m sick of favre. no one has tarnished their legacy more than he. I’d rather hang out with Pacman and Vick together than Favre. At least they’re decisive with their misgivings.