Cooley has a message for Cowboys fans

So in the Vick/Favre/Plaxico excitement of the week, we managed to miss some important  entertainment from everyone’s favorite player/blogger Chris Cooley.

Cooley posted a pair of videos at his website, where he and a masked man dressed up as Jason Witten a/k/a “J-Wit Dog” and Tony Romo, respectively.  (Tim McMahon of the Dallas Morning News has the videos on one convenient page and believes Colt Brennan is playing the part of Romo.)

The content of the videos is amusing — decide for yourself — but the reaction to posting them is even more interesting.

It turns out that a number of Cowboys fans have commented on Cooley’s blog about it, and he’s not happy about it.

“If you’re a Cowboys fan don’t try to make a point by asking when the
last time the Skins won the Super Bowl,” Cooley writes.  “Instead ask yourself when the
last time Dallas won a playoff game.”

Burnt!  [Editor’s note:  Actually, “Boom, roasted!” is the preferred usage in the PFT Style Book, but we’ll make an exception.]

Cooley also went off about the culture of negative commenting in general.

“If you don’t like the content on
our website, simply don’t read it.  Calling me a douche and an idiot
does not hurt my feelings and neither do fabricated stories.  All you do when you comment garbage is offend normal fans and readers.  And seriously, the videos are just for fun.”

Cooley goes on to say that he and “Wit Dog” are actually friends, but not before Cooley makes sure to defend his ability compared to Witten.

“I don’t want to give gratification to guys who call me the biggest
douche they have ever met.  Guys who comment to show their uncanny
knowledge of football by telling me that Wit Dog is not only an
unbelievably superior player (he is not — go watch game film), but a
better teammate.”

Agree with Cooley’s broad points or not (we do), the interaction is fascinating.

A decade ago, it would have seemed insane for pro athletes to be issuing responses to opposing fans who didn’t like the athlete’s trash-talking, self-made videos.  (Light-hearted trash talking at that.)

Now, it’s just part of a world where athletes start their own web shows, and head to Twitter to fight battles with the media or to let us know that a meeting is boring

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
48 Responses to “Cooley has a message for Cowboys fans”
  1. Idle Hands says: Jul 30, 2009 3:44 PM

Most Cowboys fans are d-bags anyway!

2. AmhaTek says: Jul 30, 2009 3:48 PM

I saw that video a couple days ago and it was hilarious, it was forwarded to me by a Dallas fan and and he found it funny. And the masked man is Colt Brennan.

3. El Colon says: Jul 30, 2009 3:58 PM

It’s the end of the World as we know it – and I feel fine

4. SirSuperSouthern says: Jul 30, 2009 3:59 PM

“Calling me a douche and an idiot does not hurt my feelings… SO CUT IT OUT OR I’LL TRACE YOU TO YOUR HOMES USING YOUR IP ADDRESSES AND KILL YOUR WHOLE GODDAMN FAMILY! WHHHAAAAAAAAARGBL!!!!”
    Shaddap, douche…

5. NightTrainNeckTie says: Jul 30, 2009 4:00 PM

I am an intense Cowboys fan(to say the least). I grew up in the DC metro area, I have nothing but hate for the Redskins. However, I couldn’t care less what Cooley does on his web-site because I don’t look at it. My only issue would be if the masked character is Colt Brennan. I mean seriously, who the F#CK is Colt Brennan to say sh!t, I actually laughed out loud when I read that (as I am doing now while wirting this). COLT BRENNAN, hahahaha.
    But in all honesty, I did see Cooley score 3 touchdowns in person on my beloved Cowboys and he does tend to have good games against them, so he can pretty say what he wants.
    But despite my bias, I do believe Witten is the better player overall. I’d say Cooley is probably number 6 in the league for Tight Ends. Witten is probably top 2 or 3.

6. TiltnSpill says: Jul 30, 2009 4:02 PM

“A lot of folks think this marks the end of civilization as we know it, but it seems like a lot of fun to me.”
    I believe it’s the former………

7. golongboyee says: Jul 30, 2009 4:02 PM

ummm……i think the Cowboys have had much more recent success (and success overall for that matter) than the Redskins……..

8. Mangy66 says: Jul 30, 2009 4:03 PM

That’s definitely Brennan.
    And anyone who talks trash about Cooley’s sense of humor doesn’t get out much.
    If you haven’t figured out that he’s a bit of an odd-ball, I suggest you take a shower, put on some clean clothes, venture out of mommy’s basement, and get a clue.
    Is it cuz he’s white? Is there a standard he needs to uphold or something.
    People didn’t seem to have as much of an issue with the Martellus Bennett stuff. Is that cuz Martellus is held at a lower standard?
    Stupid bigotted Cowboys fans. ;)

9. Jackson says: Jul 30, 2009 4:07 PM

people need to lighten up. I’m a C0wboys fan and I think it’s hilarious.

10. jjared1101 says: Jul 30, 2009 4:15 PM

“I don’t want to give gratification to guys who call me the biggest douche they have ever met. Guys who comment to show their uncanny knowledge of football by telling me that Wit Dog is not only an unbelievably superior player (he is not – go watch game film), but a better teammate.”

11. Popeye says: Jul 30, 2009 4:20 PM

Cooley compares himself to Witten? HAHAHAHHAAHAHA…………what a d-bag!!
    Witten = hall of fame
    Cooley = wuss
    what a joke!!!

12. HailtotheRedskins says: Jul 30, 2009 4:26 PM

Coooooooooooo!!!!!

13. maddencurse2010 says: Jul 30, 2009 4:36 PM

I remember the day when Cooley was known for his play on the field. Now he’s Jeremy Shockey without the bad tattoos.

14. creelington says: Jul 30, 2009 4:38 PM

Cooley says witten isnt a better TE?
    “Wit Dog is not only an unbelievably superior player (he is not – go watch game film), but a better teammate.”
    I have a better idea mr cooley, go look at career stats. Conversation over, but thanks for coming out today…..
    Now how about you go pose nude again on some random website…Chris cooley, What a joke this guy is. Next he’ll tell us jason campbell is a better QB than romo….

15. Dewey Axewound says: Jul 30, 2009 4:40 PM

I heard Cooley said Witten said Simpson said Romo was a pus$y.

16. RexRyan'sStressedLapband says: Jul 30, 2009 4:42 PM

LMAO – “Like what I see…Like what I see.”
    Priceless.

17. rawisdan says: Jul 30, 2009 4:45 PM

Probably wouldn’t have caused such a stir if people knew they were friends to begin with.

18. VoxVeritas says: Jul 30, 2009 4:52 PM

Who is Chris Cooley?

19. VoxVeritas says: Jul 30, 2009 4:59 PM

“It turns out a number of Cowboys fans have commented on Cooley’s blog about it, and he’s not happy about it.”
    So he’s thin-skinned as well as hung like a hamster.

20. Gweez says: Jul 30, 2009 5:07 PM

Wait cowboy fans who can’t take a joke? Nah.
    His point was that Witten isn’t an “unbelievabely superior player” It’s a valid point. Over the last two years Cooley has had more td’s in one season and catches in another. Witten is ahead of Cooley but not by a wide margin.
    In other articles CC also stated his respect and admiration for Witten.
    If you are taking Cooley seriously your missing the point. If someone made fun of him like that he’d probably laugh his arse off.

21. rawisdan says: Jul 30, 2009 5:11 PM

Where has he been lately? Fans have always gone to other teams sites and talked smack.

22. flips_220 says: Jul 30, 2009 5:18 PM

I could care less about the Redskins (or the Cowboys or the NFC East) but Cooley and Brennan have been two of my favorite players for some time now, and this only helps their case in my book.

23. Jackson says: Jul 30, 2009 5:23 PM

Gregg Rosenthal is a doosh nozzle

24. screaming sheep says: Jul 30, 2009 5:37 PM

4597 days since the Cowboys won a playoff game.

25. Kevin from Philly says: Jul 30, 2009 5:43 PM

Don’t know if Cooley is as good/better than Witten. However, Colt Brennan HAS won as many playoff games as Tony Romo.

26. realityonetwo says: Jul 30, 2009 5:44 PM

VoxVeritas says:
    July 30, 2009 4:52 PM
    Who is Chris Cooley?
    VoxVeritas says:
    July 30, 2009 4:59 PM
    So he’s thin-skinned as well as hung like a hamster.

Way to prove Cooley’s point. Dumbass.

27. wdhart3 says: Jul 30, 2009 5:56 PM

WIN A PLAYOFF GAME WITH ROMO COWBOYS FANS!!
    Let’s see how well witten does this year now that he doesn’t have T.O. commanding double coverage.

28. ham1 says: Jul 30, 2009 6:14 PM

That was a good solid comeback wdhart 3.
    Gave me a good laugh.
    Vox fed right into it.
    HAHAHA

29. VoxVeritas says: Jul 30, 2009 6:15 PM

“His point was that Witten isn’t an “unbelievabely superior player” It’s a valid point. Over the last two years Cooley has had more td’s in one season and catches in another.”
    Now add those two seasons together for both guys. Of course Witten does have the built-in advantage of getting to play against the Redskins defense twice per season. Unbelievable? Not really? Is Witten a superior player? Definitely. It’s not as close as you might think when you add the two seasons together.
    Receptions
    TDs
    Cooley 9
    Witten 11
    Fumbles
    Cooley 4
    Witten 1
    “Way to prove Cooley’s point. Dumbass.”
    So I guess it’s not just Cowboys fans that apparently cannot take a joke.

30. mrogers18 says: Jul 30, 2009 6:16 PM

31. Jackal138 says: Jul 30, 2009 6:28 PM

I knew there was a reason I liked Cooley, and it wasn’t just because he’s on the least threatening team in the NFCE.

32. PSU COWBOY says: Jul 30, 2009 6:32 PM

Cooley would beg for the Star on his helmet if he had the chance!
    On that note, as a die hard Cowboys fan, I thought the videos were priceless. There is nothing wrong with a little fun!
    But Cooley being as good as Witten? Give me a break(screw film, I’ll do the numbers for you Cooley)!
    Last 2 years:
    Yards: Witten 2,097 / Cooley 1,635
    Rec: Witten 177/ Cooley 149
    1D Rec: Witten 106/ Cooley 89
    TD: Witten 11/ Cooley 9
    Yards/Game: Witten 65.55 /Cooley 51.1
    Sorry Cooley… WITTEN OWNES YOU!

33. sandman7 says: Jul 30, 2009 6:44 PM

realityonetwo says:
    July 30, 2009 5:44 PM
    Way to prove Cooley’s point. Dumbass.

His point was he’s thin-skinned as well as hung like a hamster??? So sad…

34. VoxVeritas says: Jul 30, 2009 6:51 PM

“WIN A PLAYOFF GAME WITH ROMO COWBOYS FANS!!”
    That’s not going to satisfy any of us. The Redskins have won a playoff game since the Cowboys have, does it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? Don’t let it go to your head, the Cowboys have gone 17-7 against the Redskins since they won their last playoff game.

35. jjared1101 says: Jul 30, 2009 7:41 PM

“WIN A PLAYOFF GAME WITH ROMO COWBOYS FANS!!”
    That’s not going to satisfy any of us.
    ————
    Exactly. If the Cowboys won a playoff game, the new saying would go something like “Only one playoff win in 13 years” or “Cowboys need to concentrate on winning more than 1 playoff game”. The banter will always be there…sometimes it’s fun, most of the time it’s regurgitated crap from fans who don’t think for themselves. Oh…and for the poster who said something about Witten proving himself without TO getting double teamed, help yourself to his stats pre-TO and let me know what you see.

36. empty13 says: Jul 30, 2009 7:50 PM

6-44*

37. Herman Brood says: Jul 30, 2009 8:03 PM

I believe the skins won a playoff game in 2005(over Tampa Bay) How have the skins and boys played each other 24 times in 4 seasons?

38. hollywoodeggers says: Jul 30, 2009 11:01 PM

herman brood:
    duuuuuuude… really??? you totally missed that one… i’m hoping you realized what the post your referring to was talking about right after you submitted that and felt like a total retard immediately. i’ll clarify anyhow.
    they are talking about the cowboys record against the skins since the COWBOYS had last won a playoff game.
    in all seriousness, i believe witten is better. i don’t know what the hell rosenthal is smoking, but everyone has their opinion. the video is hilarious. go easy cowboys and skins fans.

39. CooperManning says: Jul 31, 2009 1:48 AM

I just looked this up, it turns out “Cooley” is Irish for “douchebag.”
    Now let’s take a look at those NFC East standings (if the world ended today):
    DAL 5
    NYG 3
    WAS 3
    PHI 0

40. tomko6 says: Jul 31, 2009 6:23 AM

1st of all this is just cooley being cooley,and cowboy fans need to open there eyes get some knowledge of the game and realize how witten and cooley are equally as talented.No TO this year,no double coverage, no big year from WIT-DOG!!!!! oh and any moron cowboy fan that asks who is chris cooley should already know cause he smokes your squad every year!!!!! Hail!!!!!

41. Mangy66 says: Jul 31, 2009 11:19 AM

Dang!!! While Cooley could give a rat’s arse about what people think…
    …this thread seems to have really gotten under Vox Veritas’s skin.
    Maybe he wants a cookie or something.

42. rawisdan says: Aug 1, 2009 11:41 AM

Well apparently Cooley forgot to ask Jason if they are friends. Witten responded to the DMN about the video….
    “I mean, we’ve met a couple of times, if that’s what you call friends,” – Jason Witten.
    BURN !

43. VoxVeritas says: Aug 1, 2009 11:55 AM

While Cooley is out making videos and showing off something that resembles a 1/4 scale model of the male anatomy, Witten is working hard:
    “I know Chris is into the web site deal and draws a lot of traffic, but my focus is on training camp and being the best player I can be and help this team be the best we can be. That’s where my focus is.”

44. VoxVeritas says: Aug 1, 2009 12:07 PM

“Any sentence that reads the Cowboys have had recent success is ludicrous. They haven’t been to the playoffs since Monica Lewinsky was giving the Mark (Dirty) Sanchez to Big Papi Clinton!”
    They went to the playoffs after the 2007 season, idiot.

45. VoxVeritas says: Aug 1, 2009 12:13 PM

“cowboy fan that asks who is chris cooley should already know cause he smokes your squad every year”
    Really.
    In two games last year Cooley gained 75 combined yards and scored no TDs. He’s scored exactly two TDs in his last six games against the Cowboys with numbers usually around 2 or 3 catches for 30 yards or so.

46. tomko6 says: Aug 1, 2009 10:47 PM

yeah really not just stats but guys like randle el and james thrash score because cooley draws alot of attention in the red zone!!! JAMES THRASH!!! LOL LOL LOL DALLAS SUCKS ROMO WAYYYYYY OVERRATED LAST PLACE IN NFC EAST THIS YEAR!!!! HAVE FUN WATCHING THE STAR GET DESECRETED!!!!! AS ALWAYS HAIL!!!!!!

47. Gweez says: Aug 3, 2009 1:53 PM

# CooperManning says: July 31, 2009 1:48 AM
    I just looked this up, it turns out “Cooley” is Irish for “douchebag.”
    Now let’s take a look at those NFC East standings (if the world ended today):
    DAL 5
    NYG 3
    WAS 3
    PHI 0
    I assume you mean Superbowls. (Those Texas School Systems…) Take into account all NFL Championships and we have 6 you have 5. But then we have been around about 50 years longer than you guys.

48. CooperManning says: Aug 5, 2009 9:44 PM

Mr. Gweez,
    I assume you mean “Super Bowls” (I’m pretty sure it’s two words). Yeah, those NFL Championships were really meaningful. After all, you had to be better than the other 10 teams or so in the entire league.