Possibility of Vick to Pats still looms

At a time when most coaches, General Managers, or owners who are addressing publicly the question of whether their respective teams will make a run at quarterback Mike Vick suggest that a relationship isn’t in the offing, the ever-vague Bill Belichick offered up some of his patented ambiguity on Thursday.

“Michael is an outstanding player, you know, hasn’t played in a couple years,” Belichick said, per Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald.  “But right now, our focus is on our team and our player, trying to get the New England Patriots ready.  That’s where my attention has been.  But exactly where he is right now, I don’t know.”

You’ll notice it’s not a “no, not now” or a “no, not ever” from Belichick.  Using the same word-parsing that Belichick applied two years ago to the rules regarding the videotaping of defensive coaching signals, all Belichick really said was that he’s not aware of Vick’s current geographic location.

Meanwhile, Jeff Darlington of the Miami Herald is convinced that the Pats will make a run at Vick, based on Darlington’s belief that the Patriots wanted to land Pat White in round two of the 2009 draft.

We’ve previously heard a rumor or two linking Vick to the Patriots.  The sticking point, if there’s mutual interest, could be that the Pats will want a multi-year deal, and that Vick would prefer a one-year arrangement, which would allow him to pursue a starting job elsewhere in 2010.

Others believe that Vick is destined for New England.  LaVar Arrington, formerly of the Redskins and Giants, said during our spot on his new D.C. radio show that he thinks the Pats are the odds-on favorites to get Vick, given that Belichick can provide the right structure — and that the fan base will be inclined to get in line behind the team.

Hey, even if acquiring Vick would end up being a distraction, the Pats proved a couple of years ago that they tend to thrive when they occupy the center of attention for not-so-good reasons.  Indeed, in the aftermath of Spygate, they only went on to win every game of the regular season.

Of course, the ultimate irony of a Vick/Pats marriage would be that Belichick would have to collaborate with one of his primary antagonists of the past seven seasons — former Colts coach Tony Dungy, who is serving as a mentor and advisor to Vick.  Though the relationship isn’t quite at the Belichick-Mangini level, Dungy’s comments in the wake of the 2007 cheating scandal likely haven’t been forgotten by Belichick.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
53 Responses to “Possibility of Vick to Pats still looms”
  1. pfii63 says: Jul 30, 2009 4:46 PM

Not. Going. To. Happen.
    Vick is not added value to the Patriots roster. Brady is a better passes and O’Connell can run just fine. They don’t employ enough plays from the Wildcat to merit sacrificing a roster spot for this punk.

2. Citizen Strange says: Jul 30, 2009 4:47 PM

Then if things go bad Robert Kraft can swear up and down that he never knew Vick was EVER involved in ANYWAY with dog fighting and make Belichick promise to tell him him if he ever hires an ex-con QB who served prison time for dog fighting again. Robert Kraft is a very moral man.

3. ceed says: Jul 30, 2009 4:48 PM

Of course they’ll go after him they take any scumbag they can get and then ESPN will talk about how the environment of the Pats will change them and that they’re actually great now that they’re a Patriot after trashing them and any team interested. Just like when they traded for Moss and drated Merriweather.

4. Matt Walsh says: Jul 30, 2009 4:50 PM

Stay Classy NE, do whatever it takes to win an untainted SB. ***

5. Shawn says: Jul 30, 2009 4:54 PM

it will be interesting to see how la familia kraft handles BB’s recommendation to sign Vick (if he indeed does so), especially Myra’s position…

6. pmarshall says: Jul 30, 2009 4:57 PM

Wait…I think we have missed the real story here. LaVar Arrington has a RADIO SHOW?!

7. doublestuffflorios says: Jul 30, 2009 5:00 PM

So will the QB position be an open competition?

8. FinFan says: Jul 30, 2009 5:01 PM

Randy Moss distraction in the superbowl helped them THRIVE?? Seems to me they lost! Thank you anonimous women in Miami (whom ever you were).
    But… the Pats were eyeing up Pat White to run a wildcat offense again the AFCeast. But it was Miam whom drafted him.

9. rcunningham says: Jul 30, 2009 5:01 PM

WHY WOULD THE PATRIOTS SIGN VICK WHEN THEY HAVE TOM FREAKING BRADY??
    I have yet to see ANYONE give me a logical answer to this. Stop pulling at straws Florio!!

10. Raiders757 says: Jul 30, 2009 5:01 PM

Most of the country doesn’t even need a reason to hate the Patriots and their fans, but if this were to happen, the hate train will need some extra cars.

11. AmhaTek says: Jul 30, 2009 5:01 PM

perhaps as you suggested they’re putting out this vague notion in order to gauge the fan’s and sponsors response, who knows but i could see Pats doing it

12. Provance1 says: Jul 30, 2009 5:02 PM

All speculation and BB’s comments today are in no way an indication that the Pats are interested in Vick. BB is not the type of guy to say, “never”, and he won’t tip his hand. So, I would not read too much into his comments as so many have.
    Darlington’s column about the Pat’s intention to sign Pat White and how Miami snatched him away with an early 2nd rounder I think fell into the Pats plans. Part of the plan is making your opponent believe you are going to do something so they indeed waste a high draft pick on a questionable talent.
    I’m not saying Vick would not add a dimension to the Pat’s offense, but this is an offense that is already stacked with weapons. If he can be had at a discount price….go for it.

13. rusH1023 says: Jul 30, 2009 5:03 PM

Some of these dumbdumbs make it sound like Belichick would take Vick as a favor to Vick or even the league. He provides the right ‘structure’ and that the fan base would ‘get behind him’. Since when do those things ever figure into Belichick’s reasoning of picking up a player? Besides, he’s got Julian Edelman. :)

14. danlinker says: Jul 30, 2009 5:08 PM

PLEASE let this happen. I can’t think of a better paring. I would LOVE it.
    Florio is right about one thing…the pats fans wouldn’t mind. If they can stomach Belichick, they can handle this guy.

15. realityonetwo says: Jul 30, 2009 5:09 PM

Anytime you hear “but right now our focus is on,” it means they’re salivating like dogs in heat to do the exact thing they’re pretending not to be interested in.
    Ousted CEO: “Right now my focus is on my family, not finding a new cushy job.”
    General manager on the fact that his star player just killed someone while driving drunk: “Right now our thoughts and prayers are with the victims’ family.” (Gee, I thought it was politically incorrect to PRAY.)
    Dumbass NFL player who takes an unregistered handgun into a bar and shoots self in leg: “Right now I’m truly remorseful for what I’ve done and my focus is on getting my life in order.”
    I say look for BeliVick to begin lowering the standards of decency in Boston by about, oh, Week 3.

16. TFBuckFutter says: Jul 30, 2009 5:17 PM

Has this news sparked a deal with the Vikings yet?

17. CsanBoySmith says: Jul 30, 2009 5:24 PM

Yea guys, the Pats would bring in Vick to replace Brady. Think before you type! They wanted a guy like Pat White in the draft…. was a rookie going to replace Brady? Frickin’ numbskull idiots.
    I think this would be the perfect fit, have him run maybe 5 or 6 plays a game out of the WC or some other ridiculous formation. Hell, if I was the Packers, I would take a one year chance on him to let him run a couple plays like that and in the event Rodgers goes down, do you want Brian Brohm in there, I don’t think so.
    Of course, Favre’s plan is to wait it out until Rodgers gets hurt so that make my theory less likely.
    SKOL LOSERS

18. Devils Advocate says: Jul 30, 2009 5:25 PM

rcunningham says:
    July 30, 2009 5:01 PM
    WHY WOULD THE PATRIOTS SIGN VICK WHEN THEY HAVE TOM FREAKING BRADY??
    _______________________________
    I hate to admit it BUT I agree with you guy!

19. winkel33 says: Jul 30, 2009 5:26 PM

Your last paragraph says it all = If Dungy is as involved with Vick as it appears, no way he winds up in New England, unless it is Vick’s only option.

20. troy brown80 says: Jul 30, 2009 5:26 PM

there is absolutely no evidence to support the notion that the pats are even interested in vick. this is based off of some miami sports writers whim (which, by the way, doesnt make sense…the pats drafted julian edelman to fill a wildcat type roll). i will say that as a pats fan i will find it extremely difficult to root for them if mike vick is on the roster.

21. Sooners says: Jul 30, 2009 5:30 PM

I just don’t see this happening, and it’s a stretch of major proportions to suggest it based on Belichick’s comment.

22. rcunningham says: Jul 30, 2009 5:31 PM

“# CsanBoySmith says: July 30, 2009 5:24 PM
    SKOL LOSERS”
    Of course he isn’t going to replace Brady, where did I ever say that?
    But what’s the point of doing OMG WILDCAT plays with him when you already have the best quarterback in the league throwing touchdown bombs to Moss and Welker?
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

23. blackglass says: Jul 30, 2009 5:37 PM

As a Pats fan, I would be more disgusted with Vick being signed because he would bring Hate Monger Dungy with him that with what Vick did.
    But then again, I am not a dog person.

24. penguininbondage says: Jul 30, 2009 5:39 PM

I live in MAss now. This would be hilarious. I’ll taunt the shit out of pats fans.

25. Alpheratz says: Jul 30, 2009 5:44 PM

I don’t think the coach would do it, and if he did, I’m even more certain the owner wouldn’t.
    But if they do, I’m done with the team I’ve followed for over 30 years.
    I know that doesn’t matter to anybody.
    It sure as hell matters to me.

26. gameday says: Jul 30, 2009 5:46 PM

Seems like a perfect fit to me. A convict joining a team of dopeheads, HGH users, women assaulters, informants, and cheaters.

27. Bellicheat says: Jul 30, 2009 5:49 PM

If Bellicheat signs Vick presumably it would be to run a few gadget plays. That would be a confession that Brady isn’t that valuable or isn’t the clutch player of legends yore.
    I hope he does sign Vick. It would be amusing to watch the Cheatriots fans rationalize the dichotomy of “If Brady is so great, why do we need Vick’s schtick”?

28. Etl868 says: Jul 30, 2009 5:54 PM

Looks like Vick will become the “Barry Bonds” of football.
    Even when Bonds could still knock out home runs easily – no team wanted him, even all the AL teams that could play him as a DH.
    At this time, I cannot see an NFL team that would be willing to take the PR risk. If the economy was better, there would be less to lose but the economy won’t help Vick either.

29. Ralphie says: Jul 30, 2009 6:06 PM

gameday, you know those retarded facial expressions Philip Rivers makes during games? Does he make them when he’s with you also? Then again, you probably can’t see his mug too clearly when your eyes are squinted and you’re biting that pillow.

30. Jackal138 says: Jul 30, 2009 6:09 PM

31. TFBuckFutter says: Jul 30, 2009 6:11 PM

“Bellichick says:
    July 30, 2009 5:49 PM
    If Bellichick signs Vick presumably it would be to run a few gadget plays. That would be a confession that Brady isn’t that valuable or isn’t the clutch player of legends yore.”
    Really? That’s brilliant.
    If they signed Mike Vick, who has never won anything nor posted anything close to average stats as a QB….it would be because they thought he was better than Brady.
    You should probably consult a chiropractor before shoving your head so far up your ass. It can’t be good for your back longterm.

32. Bell63 says: Jul 30, 2009 6:17 PM

I bet they all look the same to you, Jeff.

33. darwin says: Jul 30, 2009 6:18 PM

To all of you haters , get over yourselve’s,
    If your a steeler fan I’ll listen , otherwise win some games then we’ll talk! 11-5 with a high school QB HA HA HA , and a depleted secondary BB is a god! If we showed up as YOUR head coach you would say no thanks -DONT THINK SO , as far Mike Vick goes I would love it
    in this system he would learn from the BEST (Tom Brady) I know you dont know anything when you say things like replacing Tom with Mike , wont happen! , but so what if MV plays 6-10 plays that only extends TB’s career with us . Last time I checked he’s not getting any younger!
    Just remember Troy Brown WR/DB , Vrabel LB/TE , Seymore DE/HB , 3-4 or 4-3 .
    BB loves versatility Mike Vick could show up on the field on ANY play . IN BB WE TRUST

34. RexRyan'sStressedLapband says: Jul 30, 2009 6:20 PM

The guys who comment that nobody is going to want Vick really need to take a look at reality. Sure, there are few teams willing to take a sniff right now, but let’s not forget that he may not be available until week 6. I personally think the commyish will reinstate him before week 1, but that’s just my opinion.
    The fact of the matter is that Vick is too interesting an option for all 32 teams to pass on him. If you’re hoping he sits at home all season, you are in for a disappointment. They may be taking a wait and see approach right now, but you just watch. Sooner or later, if nobody decides to take him now, the veteran minimum will begin to look REAL good to both Vick AND one or more teams. And the veteran minimum is much higher in the NFL than the MAXIMUM in the UFL.
    If, by some miraculous showing of moral integrity, all 32 teams pass on him before the season opener, I guarantee that as soon as a signal caller goes down he’ll get a call. Hell, he might be better off to wait until then, because the veteran minimum will only be the starting point for negotiations.
    Any way you slice it, my money is on Vick playing SOMEWHERE in the NFL this season. Sorry to all the dog lovers out there, but this has always been an overblown case, and when he finds employment in the NFL, it will be proven.

35. Paul_R. says: Jul 30, 2009 6:29 PM

No, the Patriots are not interested in signing Michael Vick. As was already mentioned, they’re already stocked on offense and don’t need to bring a guy in for a few “specialty” plays.
    Who’s going to stop the offensive juggernaut as it is?

36. TFBuckFutter says: Jul 30, 2009 6:36 PM

“Etl868 says:
    July 30, 2009 5:54 PM
    Looks like Vick will become the “Barry Bonds” of football.”
    Umm….Barry Bonds was good at baseball (even before he “bulked up”)…..
    So how is that a realistic comparison?

37. CKL says: Jul 30, 2009 7:05 PM

I’m with the other Pats fans who would be disgusted as HELL if they signed him. Even to the point of writing Kraft a letter to tell him how disappointed I am in the decision. But then again, I didn’t want Moss or Dillon on the team either. And no, we Pats fans don’t all think some guy is a saint or like him just because the Pats signed him. Sheesh. Some of you people can’t let go of your jealousy or bitterness so you stereotype.

38. bills9951 says: Jul 30, 2009 7:16 PM

The Pats suck, even with Vick they ain’t beating Buffalo this year. Cheaters

39. empty13 says: Jul 30, 2009 7:38 PM

i dont think belecheat is that stupid.
    i also dont think saint dunghole is a saint or a father figure and i dont think he would deliver vick to NE if he really thought vick was any good.

40. JaggedMark says: Jul 30, 2009 7:43 PM

Dungy’s 2007 comments will have no bearing on Belichick and Kraft deciding whether or not to take on Vick.
    If Belichick thinks they’ll be better with Vick, and that it won’t be a financial fiasco sponsorship wise for Kraft, he’ll bring on Vick in a heartbeat.
    And Belichick is one of the few coaches that could definitely talk the owner into taking on Vick, even if the owner initially didn’t want to.

41. HarrisonHits says: Jul 30, 2009 7:53 PM

IIRC Kraft’s wife is an animal rights acivist, I doubt and very glad that we will probably never see that scumbag in a Pats uni.
    bills9951 thanks for the laugh. A more spineless bunch of players I have never seen than some of the Bills teams the last few years. Especially the group that laid down 5 minutes into the 56-10 bashing you took. Have another year enjoying the cellar of the AFC east.

42. TFBuckFutter says: Jul 30, 2009 8:58 PM

“Jackal138 says:
    July 30, 2009 6:09 PM
    The most amoral team in the league gets the most amoral man in the game. A perfect combination!”
    Amoral means an absence of morals. As in, morally neutral….neither moral nor immoral.

43. The Real Shuxion says: Jul 30, 2009 9:56 PM

I wish I was able to sit at my computer and make the same tired Belichick and Brady comments in every article about the PATS like you guys.
    I mean you guys must have done this enough to the point you might 1% believe it and are not just bitter.
    Unfortunately I have a full time job, a house, a yard a now future wife and a daughter who is about to be born taking up my time and life.
    BTW not a huge fan of Vick going to the PATS. I love how the Steeler fans call him a piece of crap when there is a linebacker in Pittsburgh who beats women and who should have his child taken away by DSS, kudos tards.

44. Pastabelly says: Jul 30, 2009 10:16 PM

Belichick isn’t going to say anything bad about anybody. Vick will wind up with a team that has denied having an interest in him. Maybe if Vick were a linebacker then Belichick might take a closer look. This offense is going to be scoring 30 points a game without any help from Vick.

45. BigBear123 says: Jul 30, 2009 10:41 PM

Check out this site dedicated to encouraging NFL players to make life rough for Vick once he returns.
    smackmyvickup.com

46. stanjam says: Jul 30, 2009 11:19 PM

The Pats don’t have the need for Vick. The fans don’t WANT Vick. The Pats are still looking to resign players like Vince Wilfork, so they don’t have the money to throw at Vick. They have a much greater need in signing more valuable players that they need to retain!
    Vick comes to NE, I just may go to a game this year, so I can chuck stuff at him!

47. JoeSixPack says: Jul 30, 2009 11:40 PM

Regardless of who he signs with, can you imagine the irony when he reports to a team and is placed on the PUP list?

48. Brohamma says: Jul 31, 2009 6:01 AM

Florio… seriously now. Stop floating this stuff. If the Pats are looking for a “third” option for QB then you and I both know that Doug Flutie #2 (a.k.a. Brian Griese) is that body.
    Hell, you know what… I’m wondering when you are going to float the “Jeff George to the Pats” angle.
    Also, you should know that if the Patriots had truly “coveted” Pat White then they would’ve pulled the trigger on him with one of their second round picks. I personally believe that the brain-trust in Foxboro knows that the media hangs on every word that comes from the podium there and they use that to influence the oppositions draft, player contract values and general approach to the entire season.
    Never underestimate the value of disinformation and the media’s ability to turn nothing into something.

49. RexRyan'sStressedLapband says: Jul 31, 2009 1:55 PM

Reading these comments from all the certain fans saying no way takes on new meaning today…

50. DolFan! says: Aug 1, 2009 1:39 AM

WOW!! This is amazing! First of all Vick’s paid his debt to society by the same laws we’re all bound by!! Give him a break!! Wouldn’t you want someone to do that for you, all of us have done something in our lives we need forgiving for…many of us on here have had a lil too much to drink and on the way home at some time or another hit an animal when driving and not had any concern (I know some of ya) so stop please!! Not to mention all the wrong that HAS or IS STILL being done to SOME HUMANS in this country/world!! Priorities People!! Not to de-value any pets or anything but MAN was created first and in God’s image!!
    Secondly Brady is OVERRATED!!!!! THAT’S RIGHT I SAID IT!! The fact that Matt Cassell could lead the Pats to an 11-5 season with less than Brady HAS EVER had shows it’s not ALL Tom Brady…it’s linemen, coordinators, coaches and receivers. If his receivers dropped every pass thrown to them, his offensive coordinator didn’t put in schemes he can be productive with, and his managers and coaches didn’t get him quality players…..HE WOULD NOT BE SPOKEN SO HIGHLY OF AS HE IS NOW (Look at McNabb, and Marino) Also it might be evident to the Pats now that Brady isn’t invulnerable to injury (who’d have thunk it) and since they couldn’t keep his replacement they just want to have a back up…if you can get what was 2 years ago – the most electrifying QB in the game – and if it doesn’t cause any waves in the locker room, why wouldn’t you? I personally (even being a Dolphin Fan) would love to see Vick go there and the Pats win the SB with Vick running the WC offense and throwing a pass to Tom Brady!
    When it’s all said and done it’s about $$$ and Vick will get people to watch games too, he didn’t have the highest selling jersey in the league for so long for nothing, afterall we’re all JUST FANS we have little to no say anyway PERIOD!!

51. Brohamma says: Aug 1, 2009 11:54 AM

No Pats fan has ever said that Brady was “invulnerable.” He’s a football player for christ’s sake! Injuries will happen. But as a Dolphin fan.. I can imagine that you would like to see Brady going out for a pass from Vick. As a Patriots fan I’d have loved to see Marino lining up for a pass back in his day… just so he could be PLANTED!!
    And by the way, you know as well as I do that you would jump for joy if the Fish somehow signed Brady. So please, save the OVERRATED stuff. Sit back and take a look at the QB’s around the league these days and at least give the guy the credit he is due. Hell!! Even as a Pats fan I still have respect from Peyton, he deserves it.
    Also, the Wild Crap is highly overrated. It was a surprise gimick last year but not this. Enjoy watching your players getting planted!

52. DolFan! says: Aug 1, 2009 5:23 PM

Brohamma, Brohamma, Brohamma…
    Invulnerable, untouchable same thing…never said but ALWAYS implied. My desire to see Brady catch a game winning pass has NOTHING to do with him getting hurt btw…it’s about showing his SKILL!(Like Favre did for the Jets last year when they ran the WC) And desire to do whatever to win! and the irony of seeing the “WORST” guy in the sport win a game by passing to it’s “Golden Boy” in this “dilapidated” offensive scheme.
    OH! and the WC may have been a gimmick but it got us the AFC East ‘ship! It remains to be seem if it can be stopped this year, I think NOT! As far as Tom Overady coming to the Fins, as I said he’s average if the schemes are right I would be cuz he would fit and so would any other QB, if not he’s not going to be any better than Cleo Lemon!! Men and women lie the facts don’t and the FACT that Cassel had the year he had after only playing in 14 pro games over 3 years prior shows Brady is OVERRATED!!
    Also, Brady should not be mentioned in the same breath as Manning…Manning picks defenses apart calling audibles at the line Brady runs the plays given w/efficiency. My point is this: Switch the two and you have a Patriots organization that has not lost a game in 5 seasons or something ridiculous like that and a Colts squad that’s still mediocre…..PERIOD!

53. SixBurghDude says: Aug 4, 2009 10:25 AM