Mason speaks about his return to Ravens

Our own Aaron Wilson, whose primary gig consists of covering the Ravens for the Carroll County Times, has passed along a statement from Ravens receiver Derrick Mason, who rejoined the team today after a brief retirement.

“It was a tough decision, but I think it was a good decision for me to come back,” Mason said in comments provided by the team.  “I needed to evaluate my life, football and my career. The last several weeks thinking about it and talking with my family was an important time for me and them.

“I still have an intense fire inside me, and I want to play.  My family and I wanted to finish it out the right way.  I felt like I had left something undone, and I wanted to finish it.  I believe this is a good example for my son and my daughter on how to be thoughtful and also follow through.”

Frankly, his son and daughter likely also will appreciate the fact that dad will be making $3 million this year in football salary — and that he won’t have to raid their eventual trust funds for $1.4 million in signing bonus money that the Ravens could have forced Mason to repay if he had retired.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
22 Responses to “Mason speaks about his return to Ravens”
  1. Tony Dent says: Aug 1, 2009 2:27 PM

good news!

2. stiller43 says: Aug 1, 2009 2:49 PM

Good. I don’t want any excuses when the Ravens get beat down twice* more this season by the Steelers.
    *I would say maybe 3 times, but they’re not going to the playoffs…So yes, twice.

3. 90ragtop says: Aug 1, 2009 2:59 PM

Did anybody ever think his “retirement” was anything but a media ploy from an underperforming drama llama attention “horse” (to use a olite euphemism)?

4. Crabcake says: Aug 1, 2009 3:08 PM

I, for one, am extremely happy. Mase proved himself last year as a warrior. He burned a lot of folks with one arm tied behind his back! Good to have him back!

5. Ravenmaniac says: Aug 1, 2009 3:12 PM

Excellent news…..

6. The Jugulator says: Aug 1, 2009 3:13 PM

If he wanted to teach his children follow-thru, shouldn’t he have stayed retired?

7. Shackman v2.0 says: Aug 1, 2009 3:30 PM

C’mon, Derrick, you weren’t fooling anyone. You were angling for a little contract bump for some extra cash. We all saw what you did there.

8. pocket says: Aug 1, 2009 3:42 PM

stiller 43, nice attempt at trying to be clever STEELER palumalu, probably the only player on that team that is actually intelligent. You and your fans are so ignorant, I have yet to meet a real fan with a lot of substance and not just over anxiety and ignoramous toughness that you preach. It’s about being bright and putting in the work time.
    Anyway, If anything to be realistic… Ravens D with the rejuvinated back end.. all of our Dlinemen back which was a reason that you got allowances and that awkardberger got soo lucky. Not too mention the 4th string corners against you noobs. And you still barely beat a team in a new regime coach/ qb/ staff etc. Look at the facts if anything purple and black would sweep you shlubs. But I see Bmore 2 – steelers 1. Because you know that a squeeler will always get allowed 100 penaltys and might affect a game. No substance, just blind ignorant toughness.

9. Westminster Ravens says: Aug 1, 2009 3:49 PM

Derrick is a real warrior last season he played with a seperated shoulder. He also has tremendous respect for Steve McNair and this loss affects him deeply.
    I respect that Derrick took his time in making the decision and letting the Ravens know early on about his decision and when they could not find anyone of his caliber to replace him he re considered and came back for at least one more year.
    Stiller43 watch out FLACCO to MASON… TOUCHDOWN!!!! Mason just burned Polomalu on a deep route and the Ravens take a 21-3 lead.
    OH sorry just thinking about November when we play the Stillers

10. notlisteninganymore says: Aug 1, 2009 4:37 PM

I have never met a Raven fan who knew anything about football. You are however very good and whining and making up excuses.

11. i'm president charlie! says: Aug 1, 2009 5:13 PM

old balls is still old.

12. gonzolo4 says: Aug 1, 2009 5:16 PM

I’m not a Ravens fan or anything, but Mason is one of those guys that I always find myself rooting for, seeing him back for one more season should good, but I don’t see him sticking around after that.

13. number1ravensfan says: Aug 1, 2009 5:22 PM

This is really a good thing now we dont have to worry about if clayton can make some plays
    All you fake steelers fans need to shut up tour gonna beat us three times again yeah right the three games you did win were suspect roethlisberger is the only QB who scrambles in the pocket for an hour an amazingly the line blocks the whole time without any holding yeah whatever

14. tleg81 says: Aug 1, 2009 6:48 PM

Geez Ravens fans you will come up with any excuse in the freaking book as to why you lost.
    you all do realize that you lost not once, not twice, but three freaking times………THREE!!
    Make all the excuses you want about a “new regime”, or penalties, or whatever else you have up your ignorant sleeves. Fact is the game is 60 mins… your team in those games had the ball how many times??? If maybe you would have scored more points…..you might have won…..The fact is you lost to a superior team….each game was close yes, but you lost 3 freakin times……3 times.
    That means that you were not as good, plain and simple…stop making excuses. there is always another year and maybe, just maybe, you will win 1 this year….but then again maybe not.

15. i'm president charlie! says: Aug 1, 2009 7:13 PM

Remember when Polamalu intercepted Flacco in the AFC Championship game and took it to the house? That’s my favorite memory from that game…post yours!
    Is it safe to call Derrick Mason a poor man’s Hines Ward?

16. Bmore Styles says: Aug 1, 2009 7:36 PM

17. ppdoc13 says: Aug 1, 2009 10:19 PM

I love you Squealer fans. Yes, yes we lost 3 in a row, but we split the season before, crushed you twice the season before that and split the season prior to that. Your margin of total victory in the last 3 games was less than any of the a$$ kickings we gave you 2 years ago. In any case, its all history. Let the games begin. Lets see how Rapistburger deals with the press asking him if he used his Jimmy in the correct way all during the season.

18. SixBurghDude says: Aug 2, 2009 2:18 AM

Bmore Styles says:
    “I’ve lived in Pittsburgh…. They’re like this because they have NOTHING else to be proud of in Pitt… The Steelers is all they have. Just let them be, they feel inferior. Mind you, it’s more than a feeling, it’s a reality;)”
    And we thought you’d never leave!
    By the way FOOL, by my count the City of Champs (that’s right TOOL, don’t forget our Stanley Cup Champ Pens) OWN your Cesspool on the Bay, to the tune of 7-0 ALL-TIME in post season play…..Bal. Colts 3x LOSERS in NFL playoffs in the 70′s to the STEELERS, Orioles 2x LOSERS in the ’71 & ’79 World Series to the PIRATES & BEST of all, your RatBirds/ PurpleBrownies 2x LOSERS in the NFL playoffs this decade to the STEELERS & would be 2x more to the Colts had they not had the brains to pull out of that open sewer you live in!!!
    So I ask, how exactly does it feel for you & yours to have no choice but to root for the sorry-ass team that once was your hated enemy, since that clown Modell was even smart enough to realize that even your deplorable town was an upgrade from the Mistake by the Lake, albeit a slight upgrade at best ???
    You can change their colors to that manly shade of purple, but those of us that know better still know that they smell like the bile that was once one of their primary colors!!!

19. DigBickPlaya says: Aug 2, 2009 9:49 AM

doucheburghdude: No surpise that you didn’t understand Bmore Styles. What he was saying is the reason Shittsburgh fans are so blindly proud of their sports teams is because sports is all you have to hold on to when you live in a shitbox where the only people who stay around are the ones who are too dumb to know any better.

20. Steelers 3:16 says: Aug 2, 2009 12:01 PM

DigBickPlaya sputters:
    “because sports is all you have to hold on to when you live in a shitbox where the only people who stay around are the ones who are too dumb to know any better.”
    Brother, I’ve visited both Pittsburgh and Baltimore frequently. I live in neither of the two cities. Please don’t mistake my being a Steelers fan as bias (because I have closely followed the Orioles for a long time as well), but the City of Baltimore has absolutely nothing on Pittsburgh.
    If you leave the Inner Harbor of Baltimore, you are taking your life in your hands. I think of the Inner Harbor as the demilitarized zone.

21. Steelers4Life says: Aug 2, 2009 5:46 PM

Bmore Styles says: August 1, 2009 7:36 PM
    ————————————————-
    No, we have the Pens too. And our AAA Minor League baseball team…they are totally awesome. Hey 2 outta 3 ain’t all bad lol. I’m happy here though, good job with benefits, house that’s paid off and my favorite bar…what more could I want!
    Good news for the Ravens though, glad Mason returned. He’s definitely a trooper and I was always impressed with his work ethic.
    I still don’t want them to win though of course, nothing personal lol.

22. SixBurghDude says: Aug 2, 2009 11:23 PM

Colts ’75 NFL Playoffs = L
    Colts ’76 NFL Playoffs = L
    Orioles ’79 World Series = L
    Ravens ’01 NFL Playoffs = L
    Ravens ’08 AFC Title Game = L
    ***ALL-TIME IN POST-SEASON***
    And never forget that the greatest player in your city’s history came courtesy of none other than the City of Champions!!!