Witten steers clear of Cooley fray

Redskins tight end Chris Cooley created a bit of an Internet stir this week, without posting any photos of his twig-and-playbook or blowing up dead animals, Independence Day style.

Cooley took some jabs at Cowboys tight end Jason Witten, both via videos posted on Cooley’s web site and then a follow-up post in which Cooley knocked Witten’s abilities, sort of.

Witten is taking the high road, according to Tim MacMahon of the Dallas Morning News.

“I kind of got wind of it,” Witten said after practice on Friday.  “I
haven’t really seen it myself yet.  You know, I know Chris is into the
blogging and that deal.  It’s not really my style.  My focus is here in
camp and trying to be a better team.  I don’t know why he’s doing that.
I haven’t really looked into it that much.  I haven’t had much time.”

Possible translation?  “While Chris is dicking around with that sort of stuff, I’ve been getting ready to play football.”

Once Cooley’s videos drew the ire of Cowboys fans, Cooley claimed that he and Witten are friends.

“I mean, we’ve met a couple of times, if that’s what you call friends,”
Witten said.  “He’s a good player.  He really is.  I just try not to get
involved it just right now with my focus being here and trying to help
my team.  I have enough focus on my job and trying to be the best player
I can be.”

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
29 Responses to “Witten steers clear of Cooley fray”
  1. Diggs says: Aug 1, 2009 12:09 PM

I like how Witten infers that because Cooley made these jokes, that he isn’t getting ready for the season as well. Players have free time when they are away from the game. Some choose to fish, others dabble in real estate, some do drugs/drink and drive, and some like to be goofy and joke on blogs. It just so happens that Cooley has a sense of humor and Witten is this:
    Both are great players and aren’t hurting anybody so who really cares IMO.

2. CaptainFantastik says: Aug 1, 2009 12:10 PM

I’m the furthest thing from a Cowboys fan there is, but i would venture to say that Witten’s game film is far more impressive than Cooley’s.

3. ncm42 says: Aug 1, 2009 12:27 PM

Witten and Cooley are fairly comparable players, only Witten seems much tougher and far less douchey…

4. mvlonergan says: Aug 1, 2009 12:30 PM

“I mean, we’ve met a couple of times, if that’s what you call friends.”
    Translation: Unlike most public figures, my standards for friendship are the same as before I became famous.
    I have to agree with CaptainFantastik. Cooley’s never had a 1,000-yard season, and hasn’t outperformed Witten since 2005. Besides, when was the last time Cooley bounced off two tacklers, lost his helmet, and continued running downfield like a maniac?

5. VoxVeritas says: Aug 1, 2009 12:37 PM

“It just so happens that Cooley doesn’t like being the second, perhaps third best TE in the division”
    Fixed.
    You keep worrying about showing off your playbook and your 1/4 scale model of the human reproductive organ, Cooley, and Witten will keep making the Redskins wish they’d drafted him instead of all of the guys they took in their 2003-2004 drafts combined.

6. rawisdan says: Aug 1, 2009 1:20 PM

So much for just being a video razzing a friend. Cooley’s a tool and not a funny one at that.

7. Pete Kaufmann says: Aug 1, 2009 1:22 PM

Cooly has to look good cause his quarterback dosent have the arm to reach a wideout

8. hail2theskins98 says: Aug 1, 2009 1:39 PM

i like how all these bandwagon cowboy fans are acting like witten is better than cooley
    has witten ever had an 8 TD season?
    romo broke up with jessica simpson cuz witten was getting jealous

9. Hillbilly Coach says: Aug 1, 2009 2:26 PM

Redskin.
    Cooley is like Portis. Big mouth. Big character. Big ego. Rarely plays to potential on a consistent basis. Guess that makes Cooley a bit of a child who needs his binky.
    Witten is the consummate NFL player. He stays out of trouble because he is a man rather than a goofball that engages mouth before brain.
    We’ll see who’s the real deal when the season begins.

10. jarhead_jed says: Aug 1, 2009 2:55 PM

@ hail2theskins98 “has witten ever had an 8 TD season?”…..
    do you really want to compare stats, really? Okay, Witten hasn’t had an 8 TD season but he had 7…wow. Cooley gets more attention in the red zone due to the scrubs that the Redskins call wideouts. Has Cooley ever had a 90+ reception season? Has he ever had a 1000+ yard season….no, Cooley has only surpassed the 800 yard mark once in his career.
    Take away last season from Witten, one that he also out performed Cooley, and compare both TE’s stats over the first 5 seasons of their career. Witten -348 receptions 3989 yards, 3 fumbles
    Cooley – 314 receptions 3457 yards, 7 fumbles
    oh yeah, but Cooley had 8 TDs that one year….he does have that going for him. Don’t get me wrong, Cooley is a top tier TE but if an NFL head coach had to choose between Cooley and Witten, all 32 would choose Witten hands down.

11. bbq says: Aug 1, 2009 2:58 PM

I don’t like the Cowboys or Jason Witten, and Witten is no Tony Gonzalez.. but Chris Cooley is certainly no Witten.
    Jason Witten is, at worst, the 3rd best tight end in the league right now.
    So basically this nonsense from Cooley is laughable. That being said.. take a joke, Jason.

12. killachap says: Aug 1, 2009 3:00 PM

hail2theskins98 says:
    August 1, 2009 1:39 PM
    has witten ever had an 8 TD season?
    romo broke up with jessica simpson cuz witten was getting jealous”
    ARE YOU RETARTED?????? you have to be drinking Cooley-aid to think he is even in the category below Jason Witten. Take a look at last years numbers, Cooley had 1 TD by the way last year, hell look at their CAREER numbers. COOLEY IS A DAMN OVER RATED WASHINGTON DC TOOL! I have been a Cowboys fan since they were 1-15 and I now live in DC and you clowns think this team is great. They blow and will be at the bottom of the NFC East… as always.
    Hey Florio, new rule please… NO IGNORANT MORONS ALLOWED TO POST COMMENTS!

13. hail2theskins98 says: Aug 1, 2009 3:06 PM

portis and cooley are very consistent at their positions dumass. check your references b4 you post something and make yourself look stupid
    i cant wait til the season starts. heres my prediction
    Redskins 13-3
    Giants 10- 6
    Eagles 8-8
    Cowboys 6-10

14. philgrek says: Aug 1, 2009 3:17 PM

yeah, ‘hail2theskins98’…traditionally when you have one season in which you catch 1 more TD than another player…that makes you better.
    Especially when that player had over 400 more receiving yards.
    Anyone who tries to argue that Cooley is better than Witten deserves no respect and therefore will get none. Ignorant statement.

15. brewcrewe says: Aug 1, 2009 3:41 PM

Kind of Sad really. Cooley thought Witt-Dog was his friend. The Redskins suck so bad, I sometimes forget to hate them as much as the Eagles and Giants. It is nice to get back to this rivalry, thanks Cooley.

16. THEredskin says: Aug 1, 2009 4:38 PM

17. Route36West says: Aug 1, 2009 5:38 PM

Im kinda dissappointed in you Florio. You missed a perfect opportunity for one of your trademark sarcastic marks at the end of this story.
    “It’s a shame that these guys don’t play on opposite sides of the ball, because reading between the lines we get the distinct impression that Witten is pissed off, and that it’s not his way to say so.”
    you could of finished it with something like (Hes more of a go tell a reporter onimously then act like he didnt do it type of guy)
    Now Im not claiming its a good as what you might have said but damn man you missed a golden one.

18. EdFromAnywhere says: Aug 1, 2009 6:26 PM

Is Cooley making fun of Witten or trying to say something about himself? I didn’t realize that grown NFL players got so bored they needed to play dress up with each other and vidoetape it. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
    Geez… one guy even wore a mask… kinky. Is there a version of them wearing chaps with no pants we havn’t seen yet?

19. DBL says: Aug 1, 2009 7:16 PM

Redskins suck and are mad they are not relevant in today’s world…
    Its okay, Cooley looked awfully gay in that video, and was that Colt Brennan? I mean is it responsible to be hiking darts at your 2nd string QB? I hope Colt Brennan isn’t your 2nd string QB…hahahaha
    Gurode dominates Haynesworth, thats why he got pissed at him. DOMINATES HIM! hahahahaha
    Honestly guys, I am beginning to think your whole team has gone sweet… a bunch of fruity little frolicsome girls is what I see…
    I think Cooley, is just lashing out because he could never sniff the Hall of Fame, maybe he will go kiss Wittens bust in Canton, I am sure he would like to kiss his butt…hahaha
    Kinda like he tried to kiss his butt when he said he was Witten’s friend, hahahahah
    Trust me Witten isn’t friends with that little girl.
    Brennan better watch out or Cooley will try to put his “little sharpie” close to Colt’s playbook, if he hasn’t already.
    Your team sux, just know that.
    Cowboys 13-3
    Eagles 10-6
    Giants 8-8
    Redskins 4-12
    hahahahahahaha, the Nationals of the NFC East always!

20. VoxVeritas says: Aug 1, 2009 7:35 PM

“cant wait for haynesworth to stomp on gurodes face again too.”
    You obviously can’t wait for him to be suspended again, I guess.

21. VoxVeritas says: Aug 1, 2009 7:36 PM

“(Hes more of a go tell a reporter onimously then act like he didnt do it type of guy)”
    Don’t use big 4th grade words that you can’t spell. Screw health care reform, this country needs education reform.

22. THEredskin says: Aug 1, 2009 8:29 PM

didnt mean it it literally genius….come up with your own comment and stop criticizing other comments…we’ll let you go back and top off witten again in peace and quiet

23. brewcrewe says: Aug 1, 2009 9:47 PM

THEredskin says:
    “win a playoff game douchebags….cant wait for haynesworth to stomp on gurodes face again too.”
    _____________________________________
    yeah, like all that winning the Redskins have been doing? And is Albert Haynesworth ,who 2 years ago, while playing for the Titans, got an unsportsmanlike penalty and suspension for stomping on a man’s face who was beating him like a drum the only insult you can think of as a Redskin fan? I miss the Giant fans, who at least rooted for guys who played in at least 1 game for there team.
    __________________________________
    THEredskin says:
    “come up with your own comment and stop criticizing other comments…”
    __________________________________
    Gee whiz guys, come up with your own comment..Im a freaking re..re..retard!

24. tomko6 says: Aug 1, 2009 10:38 PM

hey mvlonergan i remember cooley smoking the cowboys for 3 scores and if you remove your head from your rectum you would know that captain chaos is just as good if not better the wit dog.we will see how good witten is this year without owens to get double covered.Dallas sucks romo is way overrated and that redskin D is tight.You know what they say “defense wins championships baby”HAIL

25. tomko6 says: Aug 1, 2009 10:42 PM

hey all you steers and queers from big D I remember cooley smoking the cowboys for 3 scores and if you remove your head from your rectum you would know that captain chaos is just as good if not better the wit dog.we will see how good witten is this year without owens to get double covered.I mean lets face it cooley does all his damage with moss and randle el as the top 2 recievers please imagine if he had owens and roy williams or terry glenn!!!!what really cmon!!!!!Dallas sucks romo is way overrated and that redskin D is tight.You know what they say “defense wins championships baby”HAIL

26. Smush Rodrigez says: Aug 1, 2009 10:58 PM

Vox is just hoping that Witten shows his “playbook” on the internet. And by “playbook”, I mean penis.

27. SkinsFanInNebraska says: Aug 3, 2009 11:58 AM

I like Captain Chaos, but I gotta say that it’s not too smart to say things like that about any player on another team — especially a division rival that you have to play twice a year!! Even if you claim to be joking…
    Things like that have a way of winding up on bulletin boards in your opponent’s locker room during the week leading up to your game. There’s no sense in giving a good player on a good team any more incentive to play well against you than they already have.
    Cooley needs to shut up and do his job.

28. SkinsFanInNebraska says: Aug 3, 2009 12:01 PM

…and I just watched the videos he posted again.
    Not only unfunny, but stupid.

29. lmeff11 says: Aug 4, 2009 7:04 PM

hail2theskins98 says:
    August 1, 2009 1:39 PM
    has witten ever had an 8 TD season?
    romo broke up with jessica simpson cuz witten was getting jealous
    No but he has had two 7, one 6 and two 5.
    More then you can say about cooley fag*ot ass