Source: AFL is indeed done

Well, if former Tampa Bay Storm COO Jim Borghesi was guessing, he guessed right.

The source who told us that Borghesi no longer is in position to know what the AFL will or won’t be doing in the future now tells us that, indeed, the AFL will be folding its tents.

A press conference is expected early this week, no later than Wednesday.

Borghesi broke the news of the impending death of the AFL on his Facebook page over the weekend.

So that’s it.  The AFL is no more.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
16 Responses to “Source: AFL is indeed done”
  1. tian says: Aug 3, 2009 9:58 AM

Sad. But I really didn’t like that game anyway. It was too gimmicky.
    Call me old-fashioned, but I like the big gridiron and defensive battles.

2. PurpleJesus says: Aug 3, 2009 10:01 AM

Good news for the UFL. Do all the coaches and owners now try to move on over there?

3. Kevin from Philly says: Aug 3, 2009 10:10 AM

So, the Philadelphia Soul goes out as the best team in the AFL. Say goodnight JBJ.

4. Yak says: Aug 3, 2009 10:21 AM

This is not good. I have been to these games and have family that are (now were I guess) players in the AFL and it was fun. Lot’s of scoring, you can sit right next to the field (like Hockey next to the glass), and the players actually cared about the game and the fans. I will miss this also because it gave us football fans something to watch football wise until the NFL came back. This will be missed…

5. xskippzx says: Aug 3, 2009 10:31 AM

Figures. The Gladiators are the closest thing Cleveland has seen to a football championship in twenty years.

6. WellDisciplinedVC says: Aug 3, 2009 10:34 AM

Well at least I won’t have to listen to that egomaniacal owner of the Predators anymore. I’m looking at you Brett Bouchy!

7. Tom Dempsey says: Aug 3, 2009 10:39 AM

I can recall a game between Chicago and Denver where confetti littered the field, so a Zamboni driver named Mark Henderson cleared a path for the kicker to have a better chance of tying the game–or something like that.

8. Shags says: Aug 3, 2009 10:58 AM

Hopefully these owners will see the potential ($$$) in another physically demanding team sport that is a terrific spring time alternative to football… RUGBY
    Give the people something new, fresh, and exciting. Just ask Dhani Jones…

9. VoxVeritas says: Aug 3, 2009 11:07 AM

“So, the Philadelphia Soul goes out as the best team in the AFL.”
    Finally champs at something. Go Philly!

10. Controlled Chaos says: Aug 3, 2009 11:37 AM

Um, perhaps you might have heard of the Phillies? Last I checked, they did win the World Series.

11. Patsfan1776 says: Aug 3, 2009 11:40 AM

Rugby is a great idea!
    Of course the source for this story is some top level manager guy that thought he was in the loop and that the owner was out of the loop only to find out that he is now without a job and the owner still has $$$ and doesn’t need a job.

12. RedskinPete says: Aug 3, 2009 11:54 AM

no more “applebee’s friday lunch” guess we will just go to a pizza place

13. Jumbotron84 says: Aug 3, 2009 12:10 PM

Purple -
    I doubt there will be TOO many players in the AFL that are even a consideration for the UFL (Though off the top of my head I believe Dixon the qb is going to play for the UFL). The intended roster of the UFL is for players who are just on the bubble of playing for the NFL, or may even have a shot to play, but in limited/reserve role in the NFL and they want an opporunity start.

14. texasPHINSfan says: Aug 3, 2009 12:32 PM

i’ll miss the AFL. I loved watching it, but never knew when/where it was happening. they needed to focus on marketing, really.

15. trekmstr says: Aug 3, 2009 8:33 PM

not according to the official AFL site. They have confirmed a deal between the players union and the players

16. Complete Fan says: Aug 6, 2009 1:27 PM

This could be a huge boost for the CFL. I can see it now. Mark Grieb in Winnipeg, Tony Graziani in Hamilton …