Cutler tries to clarify comments about Denver fans

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler recently gave the fans of his new team a “9”, and the fans of his old team a “6”.

And Cutler’s now trying to clarify that, by saying that Broncos fans are a “6”, he wasn’t saying that Broncos fans are a “6”.

In other words, he was confirming Brian Urlacher’s alleged assessment of him.

“Denver’s got great fans,” Cutler said Saturday, according to the Associated Press.  “I wasn’t saying anything about their fans.”

“I was saying stuff about our camp at
Bourbonnais and just how expansive it is and how much money and
effort and energy they put into it down there,” Cutler said.  “We get
11,000 fans on a Saturday.  If it wasn’t for the fans coming out like
that, we wouldn’t have to have such a big camp.

“Every
NFL team has great fans.  That’s why the NFL and football is the No. 1
sport in this country, because the fans are great everywhere we go.”

Fine.  Then why didn’t Cutler confine his remarks to Bears fans?  Why mention Broncos fans at all?

We’d have a lot more respect for Cutler on this one if he’d either stuck to his guns or if he’d simply apologized.  Regardless of whether his prior comments insulted Broncos fans, his lame explanation insults the intelligence of everyone who reads it.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
40 Responses to “Cutler tries to clarify comments about Denver fans”
  1. tufar says: Aug 9, 2009 4:22 PM

That’s Cutler for you, he’s just “pussy footing” around, I think the Bears PR guys should put a stop to his interviewing. Although it is read to see this stuff! Remember Bears fans, this guy is going to lead you to the Super Bowl…good luck with that.

2. Akshun says: Aug 9, 2009 4:22 PM

who cares

3. litemater says: Aug 9, 2009 4:27 PM

Meow!

4. Raider Pride says: Aug 9, 2009 4:27 PM

What a weasel.

5. dr.3000 says: Aug 9, 2009 4:34 PM

what a pussy.

6. Kevin Greenstein says: Aug 9, 2009 4:37 PM

“We’d have a lot more respect for Cutler… If we didn’t have such an anti-Cutler bias.” The guy was out-and-out lied to by the Broncos, yet it’s his fault that he had no interest in taking Bowlen’s calls and listening to more lies. He turned “Marshall the Malcontent” (4th rd. pick) and rookie Eddie Royal (2nd rd. pick) into All-Pro caliber wideouts, yet you doubt whether he can survive without them. And then, of course, there’s that whole “Broncos fail to notice starting QB’s startling weight loss and give him a blood test” fiasco. Oh yes, Cutler will miss the Broncos far more than they’ll miss him. I hear Orton’s looking just fabulous.

7. Pastabelly says: Aug 9, 2009 4:41 PM

I’m not a Broncos fan. But from the outside, I would rate their fans right at the top and might reverse Cutler’s ratings.

8. FumbleNuts says: Aug 9, 2009 4:50 PM

Remember Bronco fans, Kyle Orton is going to lead you to the Super Bowl…good luck with that.
    BAAAAAHAAAA!

9. MrHumble says: Aug 9, 2009 4:59 PM

In my humble opinion, Bears fans are in for a HUGE letdown with Mr. Cutler and likewise Cutler will not just show but will EXPRESS his frustrations with Bear WR’s by mid season. While Cutler has better than avg. abilities, he is not a T. Brady or P Manning even though he already thinks he’s better than John Elway was. This kid is about to choke on his oversized ego……prepare yourselves Bears fans.

10. empty13 says: Aug 9, 2009 5:04 PM

i am sure the broncos will love to see him play there in 2011…

11. GB3Pack4 says: Aug 9, 2009 5:04 PM

In this case, I give Cutler a break. He was probably just trying to say that Chicago fans were more intense than Denver fans.
    Having lived in both cities, I believe he’s right.
    But why is it okay for “everybody” who comments on sports to say that Philly, Pittsburgh, and NY fans are more intense – “tough” – “loud” – than a lot of other places, but if a player says essentially the same thing, it’s worth trashing the guy. I have no particular affection for Cutler, but how many of Us Wise-*** Fans out here could face a mike and never make a verbal misstep?

12. JimmySmith says: Aug 9, 2009 5:08 PM

Cutler should zip his pie hole until such time his career winning percentage is at least .500
    Considering he is not there now and the current crop of Bear’s WR, he wouldn’t open his mouth the rest of the year.

13. ryans46d says: Aug 9, 2009 5:12 PM

Florio, I’m still trying to decide if you’re the biggest putz or the biggest tool.

14. MileHighTraitor says: Aug 9, 2009 5:23 PM

I can’t wait for that pussy to come to Denver. It may just be week 3 of the pre season but he’s gonna get it from the fans and his former teammates. I’d put $ on him faking an injury sometime before they come to Denver so he can avoid the sh*tstorm that awaits him…

15. ryans46d says: Aug 9, 2009 5:24 PM

Well, you certainly can’t accuse this site of ever being unbiased and professional.

16. UFL says: Aug 9, 2009 5:57 PM

BAAAAAHAAAA!
    The death of Denver Broncos.
    I cant wait to see the yellow and brown poop uniforms this season.
    Raiders are you masters mule fans.

17. DarthPirate says: Aug 9, 2009 6:18 PM

I hate to admit this, but Denver has very good fans. They were good to Cutlers as well. He should shut his yap.

18. smo05d says: Aug 9, 2009 6:19 PM

I think you’re too easily offended Florio.

19. as big as a hat says: Aug 9, 2009 6:24 PM

No vaginas were injured by Mr. Cutler’s comments.

20. OpinionsNAholes says: Aug 9, 2009 6:57 PM

Summary of all the Cutler whining:
    Denver Fans: BooHoo. Our owner is an idiot for firing Shanny and we got little Joshy that doesn’t have a clue. On top of that we made a ridiculous trade and ended up with (snicker) Kyle Orton. We feel the need to cry publicly all season, cuz we’re gonna suck the next 5 years.
    Bears Fans: Bwahahhahaaaaaa! Thanks for the franchise QB.
    Florio: My pussy hurts.

21. MrHumble says: Aug 9, 2009 7:05 PM

I lived in Denver for 4yrs and while the fans may have the football I.Q. of Packer fans, they are very rabid and supportive of their team. Bear fans are many but they’re also fair weather fans, on and off the bandwagon. If you listen to a Bronco fan, they will tell you how the Broncos have gotten screwed out of every Super Bowl since joining the NFL. I would rate Eagle, Bronco and Raiders fans as most loyal and intense.

22. empty13 says: Aug 9, 2009 7:08 PM

franchise QB? 17-20.
    yup for the bears that’s a franchise QB.

23. ScreamingIdiot says: Aug 9, 2009 7:27 PM

I agree with Akshun. Are we still talking about this. YAWN

24. Rocky Vegas says: Aug 9, 2009 7:31 PM

Enough Cutler already! whats up with Farve?

25. Y2Jimmy says: Aug 9, 2009 7:35 PM

He did mean its a completely different level. Denver has good fans. Every city has good fans and bad fans. That definitely includes Chicago. Cutler’s comments were warranted though. Denver held a Denver Family day type practice thing the other night and drew 13,000 people at Invesco Field. The Bears on the other hand drew 27, 000 people for their Bears Family Night last night. Sounds like about a 9 compared to a 6 to me.

26. Philtration says: Aug 9, 2009 7:59 PM

Why should he have to explain anything?
    The fans in Denver spend months ripping the hell out of him and calling him everything from a crybabay to a punk to a pussy and now they get all pissy because he called them a 6?
    Now I now who the real pussies are.

27. PatPatriot says: Aug 9, 2009 7:59 PM

I’m a Patriots fan and I know how hard a game is in Denver. The bottom line is Cutler is a …. >

28. CutlerIsACryBaby says: Aug 9, 2009 9:13 PM

why dont my comments show up!

29. Pastabelly says: Aug 9, 2009 9:22 PM

@mrhumble – I hate the Steelers. But your failure to include their fans at the top of any list just blows your credibility. They are everywhere and drive hundreds of miles for their team. They are the Red Sox fans of the NFL.

30. cersei says: Aug 9, 2009 9:47 PM

“Then why didn’t Cutler confine his remarks to Bears fans? Why mention Broncos fans at all?”
    Because he was asked about the difference between both cities and his experience with both thus far. Thank you.
    – ineverreadreplies -

31. East Bay Ray says: Aug 9, 2009 10:50 PM

Cutler has some Jeff George qualities. Great talent, but he comes across as a jerk. And, he seems to be more of a stats guy than a winner. Also, can he lose the Ringo Starr circa 1965 hairdo?

32. Silver&Black666 says: Aug 10, 2009 2:17 AM

I just want you all to know that Cuntler is 2-2 against the Oakland Raiders with 8 INT’s!!
    He doesn’t even have a winning record against the Raiders. What does this say about Cuntler?
    The Raiders!!!

33. Lifer says: Aug 10, 2009 2:51 AM

Wasn’t this story acompanied by a little blurb about how Bronco’s fans boo’d Orton at one practice?
    A couple points:
    Notice how Cutler gives Bear fans a 9? Thats because even a bitchy little mofo like him knows that only one franchise boasts fans that rate a perfect 10. That’s right, the Green Bay Packers, who draw 100,000 spectators from all 50 states and several countries to pre-season PRACTICE!
    He’s obligated to ingratiate himself to his new fan base and town by saying swell things about them.
    Booing Orton–Broncos fans are still burned by the fact that Bolen fired Shanny when so many thought that was a mistake. This assumption was confirmed to them when Bolen brings in J-Mac, who immediately has a falling out with the supposed franchise QB and creates a debacle before even coaching a single game.
    Broncos fans are not sheep and will NOT flock to a new guy such as Orton “just because”. However, if and when Orton proves himself to Bronco Nation as a worthy QB, they will treat him like Elvis Presley and will absolutely shower him with support and adulation. But wether Orton can earn that type of love is a question that will have to wait.

34. Dewey Axewound says: Aug 10, 2009 10:47 AM

Oh Jesus bleeding Christ on a crouton, lay off it Florio.
    You ought to be ashamed of yourself for pushing this transparent, obvious, anti-Cutler agenda.
    We get it–you don’t like him.
    I love how the media puts these guys in “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” kind of questions–like asking a QB who’s played on TWO teams to rate the fans of those cities.
    Choice A:
    Say your former team’s fans were better (thereby insulting your current team/fans).
    Choice B:
    Say your current fans are better (insulting your previous team)
    Choice C:
    Give some faggy, vanilla, cop-out, politician’s answer, a cliche, one that really doesn’t answer the question at all, and then be mocked by the entire media for doing so.
    (Now, as a liberal and NBC employee, I’m sure these are the answers that make your panties sopping wet, Florio–but real, thinking people don’t want these kinds of answers).
    Given that Cutler didn’t exactly leave Denver on the best of terms, and given that in excess of 11,000 people have been showing for the Bears’ daily TRAINING CAMP (no–not a scrimmage game, the daily camp), and given that Denver fans continue to act like scorned, jilted, ex-girlfriends who continue to stalk and bad-mouth their former boyfriend, I’d say Cutler went with the best and most sensible and most HONEST option.
    It was an answer that 100’s of athletes give out every month–yet Cutler’s answer makes headlines and takes criticism (because people like MoFlo have a hard-on for him).
    The PTI douchebags were saying how Cutler “trashed” the Denver fans, how he talked “bad” about them–they never even used his exact quote (the 6/9 thing), or the context that he was ASKED A QUESTION about how the fans compared….
    Here’s a question for everyone:
    Do we want HONEST (and interesting) answers from athletes during interviews, or do we want phony-baloney politician’s cliche sh1t?
    You can’t have it both ways.
    So drop this gay-ass “insult my intelligence” act. You don’t rip a guy for giving an honest answer, and then rip him when he tries to soften the answer after media a-holes like you have raked him over the coals for his original answer.
    God, I can’t wait until Cutler starts tearing up secondaries again, so people can have a REAL reason to hate him, without having to manufacture bullsh1t like this.

35. purpleguy says: Aug 10, 2009 12:01 PM

Non-story, but he should have called the Denver fans a bunch of pussies.

36. Midway Monster says: Aug 10, 2009 4:54 PM

Philtration says:
    August 9, 2009 7:59 PM
    “Why should he have to explain anything?
    Now I now who the real pussies are.”
    Amen to that. I think since Cutler mentioned the size of the crowds he was comparing 13, 000 to 30,000 he was talking about the venue, not the rating of the fans themselves. Although he doesnt owe anything to the Denver fans that have been bashing him since he left town so they can suck it. I will still be rooting for Orton this fall regardless of the fact that it means the rest of the Broncos will have to have success in the process. Essentially our teams will be linked for the next decade like it or not. And for once I am with Dewey: I cant wait for JC to start shredding secondaries and wing it for Chi town. BEAR DOWN.

37. Silver&Black666 says: Aug 10, 2009 6:29 PM

“MidwayDreamingMonster”
    “I cant wait for JC to start shredding secondaries and wing it for Chi town.”
    I hope you have a lot of time on your hands (maybe your locked up or something)
    He is 2-2 against the raiders, did I mention the 8 picks in those 4 games?
    I think the Raiders have won 9 games over the last two years and 2 of those are thanks to Cuntler!

38. cersei says: Aug 11, 2009 1:27 AM

Saw for some reason you linked this old write-up back into the rotation(slow week?). I didn’t reread the article or replies but am just here to tell you: Sorry, Charlie – your rehash attempt does not make sense and therefore counts for zero. Thanks.
    Hate on the Bears all you want, makes no difference. ; ) Thanks again. : )
    -ineverreadreplies-

39. mdevey says: Aug 11, 2009 10:02 AM

A couple points:
    are you serious, I live in green bay, hate the packers, and am really wondering how 100, 000 fans crowd to a stadium that sits 60, ooo. And as far as a perfect ten, if blind faith and a complete ignorance for anything not drenched in green and gold constitutes a perfect 10, than you’re absolutely right. I can name more members of the Packers roster than most packer fans can, those are perfect fans? can’t you find some thread about favre to post on?

40. Lifer says: Aug 22, 2009 5:08 AM

So.
    I take the time to go through this whole diatribe hoping to at least lure in some Chicago pinhead and I wind up with…….you. Some fatass who “lives in GB” “Hates the Packers” and magically has the whole team roster memorized, for some unknown reason, despite the supposed “hate”. I’ve seen these feeble attempts at credibility before, in Denver, usually displayed by Red Wing or Canuk “fans”.
    To clarify:
    The 100,000 figure comes from attendance at all the preseason activities, genious.
    As for perfect fans, both sides of my family hail from Wisc., we visit all the time, everyone has always been obsessed with Packer Football, people back there know their stuff. Maybe cut back to just a case of Shlitz?
    Finally, I am a Packer Fan. Not a Favre fan. So go choke yourself on a cheese curd.