Little did we know as of Tuesday morning that a 31-year-old former AFL slappy would be the subject of so many stories in this space.
But we’re intrigued by the maneuver the Eagles pulled on Monday, elevating Matt Nagy from coaching intern to No. 3 quarterback.
We became even more intrigued when the team announced that the league rejected the contract with Nagy, and that the Eagles thereafter opted to abandon any efforts to sign him.
We’ve heard from several sources that Nagy’s contract with a team in the now-defunct Arena League was responsible for the disapproval of his NFL contract. But when coach Andy Reid addressed the matter of Nagy’s deal earlier today, Reid was vague.
“[Nagy] just wasn’t approved by the NFL; it wasn’t any more than that,” Reid said. “That’s what that is.”
An increasing number of league sources firmly believe that the league slammed the door on a potential loophole regarding roster limits — and that a formal rule will eventually be passed.
“Can’t you see teams stashing quality players as interns next year if the league didn’t intervene?” said a league source who is convinced the rejection had nothing to do with the AFL. “It had never occurred previously. There will be a rule created soon, guaranteed.”
OK, so maybe the last word will actually come when the rule is announced.