Tampa Bay Rays will own a piece of Florida's UFL franchise

On Wednesday, the UFL formally announced that the franchise headquartered in Orlando will be known as the “Florida Tuskers.”

The UFL also announced that major league baseball’s Tampa Bay Rays have struck an agreement in principle to purchase an interest in the football franchise.

The Tuskers, who are coached by Jim Haslett and who hold UFL dibs on Mike Vick, will play one of their home games at Tropicana Field in Tampa, home of the Rays.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
18 Responses to “Tampa Bay Rays will own a piece of Florida's UFL franchise”
  1. Abe Froeman says: Aug 12, 2009 2:28 PM

Man, I hope the UFL lasts. Seems like it can fill a real void.

2. lithiumfx26 says: Aug 12, 2009 2:36 PM

They can bring their cowbells to the game.

3. bofarr says: Aug 12, 2009 2:37 PM

Uniform and logo designs for the new league pretty much suck.
    Merchandising: Fail

4. heavysixer says: Aug 12, 2009 2:37 PM

What the hell is a tusker? Are they hunting walrus?

5. Citizen Strange says: Aug 12, 2009 2:38 PM

“Florida Tuskers.”
    Gay slang?

6. MikeNE says: Aug 12, 2009 2:55 PM

I don’t mean to pick on you specifically but I’ve been reading PFT for a year or more and I have to say that you guys are ususally wrong. Hell, I’m better than you and I have a real job.

7. WetHog says: Aug 12, 2009 2:57 PM

Ah WTF is a “Tusker”?

8. NoHomeTeam says: Aug 12, 2009 2:57 PM

I thought that the UFL had solicited name suggestions from potential fans via its website.
    Something’s really wrong here if Tuskers was one of the leading candidates. Did somebody from the NFL hack the website and pack it with names like the Orlando Child-Molesters or the Florida Palmetto Bugs?
    At least the uniforms will probably be well-designed; just look at the California Redwoods . . . oh, wait.

9. Tomb says: Aug 12, 2009 3:04 PM

Tusker is slang for a huge doobie.
    Oustanding.

10. pmarshall says: Aug 12, 2009 3:07 PM

Per Websters dictionary, a “Tusker” is any animal with a tusk. Like an elephant. In Florida.
    With the California team being named the “Redwoods,” and the Las Vegas team the “Locomotives,” there seems to be something very phallic about all of these names. I’m waiting for the press release from the “New York Knob Slobbers.”

11. bullet907 says: Aug 12, 2009 3:11 PM

FYI, Tropicana Field is not in Tampa.

12. dawk20db says: Aug 12, 2009 3:14 PM

More UFL posts!!

13. MikeNE says: Aug 12, 2009 3:18 PM

Right, like you guys are ever right.

14. Abe Froeman says: Aug 12, 2009 3:21 PM

Anyone else chuckle when the guy with the “WetHog” moniker asked what a Tusker is?
    So to answer everyone’s question a Tusker is wild boar. Hogs and boars are the same animal, one, the hog is domesticated and boars are wild.

15. 8man says: Aug 12, 2009 3:26 PM

Apparently a Tusker is some kind of wild bore…err…boar that roams the Everglades. I guess the anancondas and pythons have to eat something.
    Evidently the Las Vegas team is called the Locomotives. That’s it? That’s what you call a team that plays in Sin City? The Automobiles or Sand Traps or Hotels were already taken?
    What’s wrong with the Blackjacks or the 21’s or the Rollers or the Roulettes or the Dice or anything? Anything other than that name.
    Now I have to root for the NY team because the other three have lame names. This reminds me of roller derby.

16. NoHomeTeam says: Aug 12, 2009 4:15 PM

8man says: “Oh and they all get the same uniforms, just different colors? What are they, quadruplets? Hell, half the fun of an expansion league is seeing the new gear.”
    Couldn’t agree with this more. Even the XFL managed to get the laundry part of the equation right.
    Maybe that’s the logic here: “We don’t want anyone to confuse us with the XFL, and they had interesting uniforms, so . . . “

17. Maddenboy says: Aug 12, 2009 4:26 PM

Wait. I thought the tampa bay baseball team was the Devil Rays.
    did they change it? I hate baseball so much I go out of my way to change the channel or station anytime it comes up. I dont even watch SportsCenter in the summer because i have to keep reaching for the remote so often, to get away from that crap. How about cut your ticket prices in half and cut your astronomical, generational wealth player salaries in half. Then maybe a couple people might actually care who won one game out of 162 between a bunch of Multi-multi-multi millionaires who play a GAME, not a sport.
    I guess i accidently learned something about Baseball today. DAMN you Florio !!

18. MitchAlbom'sEars says: Aug 13, 2009 1:19 AM

Even Vince McMahon thinks these team names are stupid.