Vick returns to the practice field

Quarterback Mike Vick has made an appearance on a practice field for the first time since the conclusion of the Falcons’ offseason program in 2007.

Vick practiced Saturday with the Eagles, who worked without pads two days after their preseason opener.

He was limited participant, operating as the fourth-team quarterback.

“He did a little bit of scout team this morning and got a lift in this morning,” coach Andy Reid said in post-practice remarks circulated by the team, “and we’re just going to gradually bring him along and [offensive coordinator] Marty [Morninweg] will do some drills with him after practice is over and we’ll ease back into throwing the ball and then working the legs at the same time, conditioning-wise.  So, he got a workout in this morning and then he also took the scout team for the 8/8 period this morning.”

Reid said that Vick will don pads Sunday, along with the rest of the team.

And Reid emphasized the Vick is a quarterback in Philly’s West Coast attack.

“Today he was a quarterback,” Reid said.  “That’s what Michael is, Michael is a quarterback; I’m not trying to hide that from you, we moved people around every once in a while but, Michael is a quarterback.”

Reid also observed that he thinks Vick needs to lose only about two pounds.

“If you’re in a two-to-three-pound range or a five-pound range then that’s pretty good after a two-year hiatus,” Reid said.  “But, there’s the other part of that, there’s throwing the football and timing and all of those factors that go into it and he’s been away.

“So, he’s going to need to do that, and not every throw is going to be a perfect throw and he’s going to have to get his legs under him.  We’ve a got period of time here where we can do that, so we’ll just play it by ear as we go.  And, I’ll communicate with Michael and I’ll watch his performance and see how he does.”

Vick will be eligible to play in Philly’s third and fourth preseason games, on August 27 at home and September 3 at the Jets.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Injuries, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Vick returns to the practice field”
  1. BroadStreetBully9286 says: Aug 15, 2009 3:22 PM

2. empty13 says: Aug 15, 2009 3:23 PM

an excellent scout team wildcat qb.

3. bbq says: Aug 15, 2009 3:25 PM

From here forth I will be referring to the Eagles’ offensive coordinator as Marty Morningwood.
    That is all.

4. screaming sheep says: Aug 15, 2009 3:32 PM

“not every throw is going to be a perfect throw” That’s and understatement.

5. killachap says: Aug 15, 2009 3:35 PM

At least now when Vick sucks at QB he can blame it on not playing for 2 years…

6. tom coughlin's coat holder says: Aug 15, 2009 3:38 PM

just curious,do you think vick is carrying the same muscles that he had when he left the game as compared to his musclature today.the idea that he is only two pounds out of shape is moronic.
    not passing judgement on vick,just trying to point the reality of the fact,let’s face it,it’s going to take quite a while for him to come up to speed and “football”shape.

7. Shackman v2.0 says: Aug 15, 2009 3:38 PM

“So, he’s going to need to do that, and not every throw is going to be a perfect throw and he’s going to have to get his legs under him. ”
    News flash, Andy. Even when he gets his legs under him, most of his throws aren’t going to be perfect throws.

8. gallaghedj311 says: Aug 15, 2009 3:47 PM

Good for him. I am truely happy that such a top class organization can do this. I am so proud of my Eagles. It’s all these ignorant Philly fans who called Eskin yesterday wishing death on Michael by electrocution that have me baffled. I didn’t know there were so many athiests in Philly. All these people must be free from original sin since they’re casting the first stone. If jesus was the commissioner of the NFL, he would have forgiven Michael and allowed this to happen. It disgusts me. I will pray for them.

9. Okey says: Aug 15, 2009 3:56 PM

good to hear that he is having a good practice and showing skills. good for him. Best wishes!

10. killachap says: Aug 15, 2009 4:02 PM

hey GALLAGHEDJ411, dont waste your time praying for me, my opinion isnt changing on this scumbag piece of crap.
    I also like how you used the word ignorant the way you did. It shows all of us that you are ignorant as to the proper use of the word. Since all of us reading this website have to be educated on the Mike Vick topic we in no way can be ignorant. I will agree that wishing death upon a human being isnt right, but those claims are coming out of anger. No sane person actually wants him tortured or killed, we just want him to suffer the fate that every other convicted felon has to, flip burgers for the rest of his life.

11. CooperManning says: Aug 15, 2009 4:02 PM

Pretty sure Jesus is upper case. He’s kind of a big deal.

12. Hillbilly Coach says: Aug 15, 2009 4:09 PM

Does Vick play better with electrodes attached to his testicles? Can we find out?
    Has Andy Reid invited little Mikey over to Reid’s Pharmacy yet?
    Does Mikey know that Reid’s religion would not allow black people a place in their church until 1978 and that racism still lingers in the Mormon faith?
    Did you know that if Vick’s return is successful Tony Dungy’s son will come back from the dead?

13. meezle says: Aug 15, 2009 4:14 PM

First and foremost let me reiterate that I think the lifestyle vick lived was disgusting and he was, WAS, scumbag for it.
    At first I was against it, amongst many other things that the team has done in the past, now not only am I excited but proud of what the eagles did. Honestly, they don’t need vick, everyone knows that, but they stuck their neck out and signed him. They showed that everyone does deserve a second chance, and they truely do value character.
    I know the last line is going to draw some criticsim on here and I’m fine with that. For those of you that attack said line, even me explaining won’t change your opinion so I won’t waste my time. But I can assure you vick will play harder than he ever had before every play he is in because of what the eagles did. Just wait for the fireworks
    Also, I wonder if Jim Johnson was asked his opinion before he passed?

14. tyrone says: Aug 15, 2009 4:17 PM

“Pretty sure Jesus is upper case”. He’s kind of a big deal”.
    Thanks CooperManning..I needed a good laugh.

15. GB3Pack4 says: Aug 15, 2009 4:20 PM

I never thought any storyline would make me yearn for the Favre stories, but this one almost does -because of the nausea factor, the situational ethics, the glossed-over gambling, the special treatment, the remorse expressed one minute & contradicted the next, the selective memory of those recalling the level of his professional performances, and on and on.
    You’d think this guy FOUNDED the League, the way he’s being treated. Are his Eagles teammates going to carry him in on their shoulders, cheering? Is somebody going to nominate him for sainthood soon?
    The Vick stories just make me sick

16. FumbleNuts says: Aug 15, 2009 4:31 PM

Vick can do it all, and will be an EXCELLENT player for the Eagles. It will be interesting to see just how fast he can run.

17. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Aug 15, 2009 4:33 PM

Michael Turner just had a 40 yard TOUCHDOWN run. GO FALCONS!

18. ncm42 says: Aug 15, 2009 4:34 PM

@CooperManning….He has many leather-bound books, and His office smells of rich mahogany…
    Vick needs to lose two pounds? Maybe someone should tie him to a rape stand and let a bigger more powerful animal work it off of him…

19. ncm42 says: Aug 15, 2009 4:35 PM

20. Hauschild says: Aug 15, 2009 4:42 PM

Classic, it surely is. Michael Vick’s career numbers as an NFL QB are pedestrian, and that’s at its best. The man has a 75.7 CAREER quarterback rating, yet the media and a significant number of fans will have us believe Vick is at, or near the level of a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.
    It’s interesting to me that we, as a nation, are becoming increasingly blinded by hype as the years wear on and when you think about it, this should NOT be the case at all, considering all the access to information we all have at our fingertips; as opposed to 25 years ago when there was no easy method to perform research.
    Unreal?!?!?

21. prmpft says: Aug 15, 2009 4:43 PM

kilachap – if we’re speaking in absolutes – and you are – you are absolutely a JACKASS!!!
    prm…

22. Jackal138 says: Aug 15, 2009 4:48 PM

“we just want him to suffer the fate that every other convicted felon has to, flip burgers for the rest of his life.”

23. scotty_poacher says: Aug 15, 2009 4:58 PM

HaHa, Vick looked great playing catch with the scout team! I bet half the guys on this blog would look good throwing the ball around in a game of catch. I like how Reid keeps reffering to Vick as a QB, I sure hope so that way the rest of the league has nothing to worry about.

24. proamerica says: Aug 15, 2009 5:07 PM

Slamming dogs into the ground keeps your arm in shape. I wish him all the pain and suffering he put on the dogs he killed.

25. footballrulz says: Aug 15, 2009 5:15 PM

Goodpoint Coopermanning

26. Fan_Of_ Four says: Aug 15, 2009 5:19 PM

I really really really mean this when I say ” Break a Leg you POS ” And when you do I hope the Eagles hang you upside down and hook up jumper cables to your nads. I mean if it’s ok to do it to mans best friend for seven years it shouldnt be a problem doing it to you.
    Break a leg Mike, break a leg.

27. wvugrad00 says: Aug 15, 2009 5:24 PM

no GOD is in upper case, its simply Jesus
    And as an Eagle fan I am torn but I think having him on the team makes them better. There really isnt a down side outside public opinion

28. tacious says: Aug 15, 2009 5:32 PM

“Every observer has said he’s been impressive when he throws the ball, and that he doesn’t look to have much rust on the cannon.”
    @BroadStreetBully9286
    I would like to think that most QB’s that have played at a high level would be able to stand there in one place and throw a football, and look good… it’s when he’s put in a situation where he must start making reads or scrambling and tossing the rock that we’ll most likely see the rust.

29. VoxVeritas says: Aug 15, 2009 5:42 PM

“Oh, I didn’t know that was written into the US Penal Code. Are you a trial lawyer?”
    Bash his teeth in with the butt of your rifle!

30. VoxVeritas says: Aug 15, 2009 5:43 PM

Yeah but they’re used to watching McNabb.

31. prmpft says: Aug 15, 2009 5:52 PM

man, there sure are alot of p^$$#$ reading this post – you guys need to go hug each other and your dogs and do whatever you do to each other & leave football folk ALONE…because you know NOTHING about the real world…i hope you all do not get what YOU deserve ( instead, maybe – oh let’s see – GRACE)…hey here’s an idea – instead of watching football – go watch the dog show…or…SHUT UP!!!!
    prm…

32. hyde says: Aug 15, 2009 6:10 PM

What “we’re all in” SHOULD have meant..coming from York..is that “WE’RE all in camp and starting the preseason and anyone who isn’t is on the outside looking IN at us”…..they should let that guy sit as long as he’s willing to sit.

33. dbick says: Aug 15, 2009 6:33 PM

killachap, not every other convicted felon was probably the fastest and best athlete in the NFL at one time either. there’s a reason pro athletes get paid so much money and can come back to sports after being in prison, cos they can do shit regular people can’t.

34. briano29 says: Aug 15, 2009 6:41 PM

With Vick enjoying electrocuting dogs so much maybe he should’ve signed with the chargers.
    Or if he wanted to repent he could sign with the saints.
    Bet in prison he was a big fan of the oilers.
    Thats all I got . . .

35. CooperManning says: Aug 15, 2009 7:08 PM

I heard Vick worked on his “receiving” skills while he was in prison.

36. Hillbilly Coach says: Aug 15, 2009 7:09 PM

wvugrad00 says: August 15, 2009 5:24 PM
    no GOD is in upper case, its simply Jesus
    ———————————–
    Jesus on the Eagles? My Gawd! Or is it gawd? What’s his position? QB?
    Roger Goodell would never let Jesus in the NFL! He’s already done the redemption thing. There would be no purpose. The bar He would set would be unattainable by any member of the team, most of all, Andy Reid (the deaf, dumb & blind Mormon) Banner.

37. Jackal138 says: Aug 16, 2009 2:53 AM

Vox, why do you think what I said is such a bad thing?
    I would like to smash you in the face. You act as if I should be embarassed by that. It’s dumb Republicans like you who are listening to Rush Limbaugh and pining for the chance to start the next Civil War because you don’t like the color of our president.
    I’d love for y’all to try it.