Glazer emphasizes he's not reporting Favre to Vikings

So with an unexpected Monday morning storm of something other than sand (but still with four letters, the first one also being “s”) emerging regarding Jay Glazer’s camp report from Minnesota expressing an opinion that Brett Favre to Minnesota isn’t dead, we tracked Glazer down by phone for some reaction to the situation.

He’s at the annual FOX NFL seminar, a series of meetings in preparation for the coming season of football broadcasting (perhaps with some down-time bingo).

Glazer said that he already has received multiple calls from folks who believe he is reporting that Favre will sign with the Vikings.

Glazer didn’t report that, and he hasn’t reported it.  He only has said he’s convinced that talks at some point between the Vikings and Favre will continue.

“It’s my opinion,” Glazer said.  “I
didn’t report anything like it’s a scoop.  Is it gonna happen?  I don’t know.  I’m not saying it
is.  I believe it is, but that’s just based on my opinion.

“It’s taken on a life of it’s own as if I’ve reported that they have a deal,” Glazer said.  “It couldn’t be further from the truth.”

One of the primary reasons, in our view, is that ESPN has given the item major play, treating it like a report that Favre is returning.  Though ESPN has chosen language that accurately (for the most part) reflects the gist of Glazer’s item, the notion that Glazer is reporting that unnamed Vikings players expect Favre to join the team can easily be warped by the viewer into the notion that Glazer is reporting it’s a done deal.

Again, it’s not.

That said, FOX sent the item to various media outlets (we didn’t get the initial e-mail, and we’re still not sure why), presumably with the intention that other media outlets would talk and/or write about the story.  Still, everyone who reads Glazer’s words owes it to Glazer and to themselves to read the words as they are written.

Regardless, the fact that Glazer’s opinion has shone a bright light on Brett Favre and the Vikings could prompt the turtle to pull its head back into the shell, preventing something that otherwise might have happened in the short term from ever occurring.

And, inevitably, someone from ESPN would claim that Glazer’s report that Favre will be a Viking was wrong.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Glazer emphasizes he's not reporting Favre to Vikings”
  1. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Aug 17, 2009 10:17 AM

It’s a “snow” storm of Brett Favre mania!

2. Devils Advocate says: Aug 17, 2009 10:18 AM

oh God no please stop. Don’t tell me I am have to start up the “Days Without a Fart/Favre Meter” again.
    “just when I think I am out, they suck me back in” – kudos to Michael Corleone

3. cheeseheadken says: Aug 17, 2009 10:20 AM

I think you mean “Glazer said.”

4. Slim says: Aug 17, 2009 10:20 AM

Umm, Favre said? or did you mean Glazer said?

5. screaming sheep says: Aug 17, 2009 10:20 AM

“Its my opinion” Favre said. “I didn’t report anything like its a scoop…”
    Umm, better fix that Mike. Believe you meant Glazer said.

6. Iain says: Aug 17, 2009 10:21 AM

“”It’s my opinion,” Favre said. “I didn’t report anything like it’s a scoop. Is it gonna happen? I don’t know. I’m not saying it is. I believe it is, but that’s just based on my opinion.
    “It’s taken on a life of it’s own as if I’ve reported that they have a deal,” Favre said. “It couldn’t be further from the truth.””
    Favre said?

7. purpleguy says: Aug 17, 2009 10:22 AM

In the immortal words of Fat Bastard, let’s hope the turtle head doesn’t keep poking out.

8. bednarik60 says: Aug 17, 2009 10:23 AM

I’m a little confused. Aren’t those quotes supposed to be from Glazer, not Favre?

9. Big Stretch says: Aug 17, 2009 10:24 AM

Good work reporting a “news” story on Favre reported on by a writer who says he isn’t reporting a news story.
    3 worthless Favre stories so far keep it up guys.

10. epping16 says: Aug 17, 2009 10:24 AM

“It’s my opinion,” Favre said. “I didn’t report anything like it’s a scoop. Is it gonna happen? I don’t know. I’m not saying it is. I believe it is, but that’s just based on my opinion.
    Favre said??? lol nice Why is nothing such big news and then ya don’t even quote the guy right!

11. epping16 says: Aug 17, 2009 10:27 AM

I didn’t know Favre did an interview about himself coming back! lol

12. RumorMongering says: Aug 17, 2009 10:28 AM

I’m assuming those quotes were from Glazer and not Favre. Florio, you’ve lost more credibility in the last year than Mark Sanford.

13. Pockets Straight says: Aug 17, 2009 10:28 AM

Brett Favre and Jay Glazer are the same person, Favre said.

14. DePack says: Aug 17, 2009 10:29 AM

Insert Glazer said a couple places where you put “Favre says”. Christ do you even proofread this shat.
    It kind of gives the story a different meaning.

15. JAYO MOFO says: Aug 17, 2009 10:32 AM

BRETT FAVRE = MN VIKING 2010
    LIKE THIS WASN’T GOING TO HAPPEN. HEY, THE GUY DIDN’T WANT TO BUNK UP IN THE DORMS IN MANKATO.
    BRETT FAVRE = MN VIKING 2010
    HOLLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Ryan_Mack says: Aug 17, 2009 10:32 AM

Favre said? Or glazer said.
    Someone hasn’t had their morning coffee.

17. Run1out says: Aug 17, 2009 10:34 AM

So did Favre say its his opinion or did Jay? Favre said: Mike you have a man crush on Favre. Admit it!

18. DePack says: Aug 17, 2009 10:34 AM

WOW!! Journalism? at it’s best.

19. Delbert says: Aug 17, 2009 10:37 AM

Favre said? He’s reporting on his own return from retirement?

20. Jose Reyes says: Aug 17, 2009 10:39 AM

Do you mean Glazer? With all the dough you’re making from your new NBC gig you still can’t hire an editor?

21. Mavcop says: Aug 17, 2009 10:46 AM

After fridays amazing preseason game and this news, I am taking my lunch break to get a spot for the Superbowl parade route.

22. epping16 says: Aug 17, 2009 10:57 AM

espn is still reporting it like its a done deal!!! What morons

23. ras6111 says: Aug 17, 2009 10:58 AM

Dammit Glazer!! You had to open your mouth. All that is on ESPN now is Favre watch….again.

24. longrodvanhungendong says: Aug 17, 2009 11:08 AM

That actually does sound like something Favre would say…

25. DePack says: Aug 17, 2009 11:13 AM

Why do you delete post that call you out fro being an idiot?

26. rollerball says: Aug 17, 2009 11:38 AM

I just wish it would be a big surprise! One day I will wake up and headlines (on ESPN or something) “Favre signs with Vikings!) Whatever you (media) do-don’t scare him away!

27. ryanmc says: Aug 17, 2009 11:56 AM

“So why do so many people think that Glazer is reporting that Favre will become a Viking?”
    Because he’s reporting that HE THINKS Favre will become a Viking. The guy either knows something the general public doesn’t or he should just shut up and say nothing. Otherwise, what’s the difference between Glazer guessing Favre will become a Viking and some random Vikings fan in a bar in Minneapolis guessing Favre will be a Viking? The guy says “My prediction couldn’t be more emphatic.”
    If Favre does not end up a Viking it’s perfectly fair to say that Glazer was wrong and missed the boat on this one. His reputation SHOULD take a hit. That’s the only way to keep reporters from just plain making stuff up and then saying later ‘well, I didn’t say it was definitely going to happen.’ Hey, you either know something or you don’t.

28. zygi milf says: Aug 17, 2009 1:04 PM

Devils Advocate says:
    August 17, 2009 10:18 AM
    ***************
    Yeah, Devil’s Idiot, like anyone cares about your stupid Fart/Favre Meter.
    And – you forgot your stupid tag line.

29. CrypticNonSequiturGuy says: Aug 17, 2009 1:31 PM

Damn, and I had gotten the razor blade into my wrist already and everything!
    Oh well, there’s always the next 3 weeks
    (when it’s even more likely to happen, as Vikings QB desperation mounts and camp winds down…)
    Samantha Fox was a musical genius.

30. MNVikesguy says: Aug 17, 2009 3:34 PM

I just got a lot dumber after reading this article.