"Chilly" to Favre: "Now or never"

During a Tuesday press conference, which started roughly 45 minutes late, the Vikings introduced quarterback Brett Favre.

And Favre, wearing a faded red/pink hat that looked to be as old as the grizzled quarterback himself, said that everything came to a head on Monday, when coach Brad Childress — whom Favre calls “Chilly” — reached Favre by phone.

“When Brad called yesterday, it was kind of like, ‘This is it. Now or never.’”

Coincidentally, ESPN was going berserk on Monday over the prediction from Jay Glazer of FOX that Farve and the Vikings would soon renew communications.  That same day, “Chilly” took a chance — and it paid off.

Favre said he hadn’t spoken to Childress in three weeks.  Three weeks ago today, Favre called Childress to say that the 18-year veteran would remain retired.

As expected, Favre attributed the decision to play to a concern that he would second-guess his prior decision not to play.

“I didn’t want to say, ‘What if?’” Favre said.

He also explained that his 10-year-old daughter was crying after Favre decided to remain retired, and that she told him that she wanted him to win another Super Bowl.

It probably wasn’t exactly like the moment when Adrian said, “Win . . . win!”

But it was enough to get Favre to shave, clean himself up, and go to Minnesota.

Permalink 61 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
61 Responses to “"Chilly" to Favre: "Now or never"”
  1. aj_beerzynski says: Aug 18, 2009 8:01 PM

I seriously doubt it, Favre is gonna get all of his diva demands just like in New York. He obviously didnt want any part of training camp so he waited 3 weeks.

2. formerly dystopianow says: Aug 18, 2009 8:06 PM

He also explained that his 10-year-old daughter was crying after Favre decided to remain retired.
    ———-
    Uhh Florio, did you actually watch the conference? He said that his 10 year old daughter said the choice was his, and when he was sitting on his porch out back she wanted him to win another superbowl. Nothing was said about crying.

3. bednarik60 says: Aug 18, 2009 8:06 PM

I hope the Vikes do terrible. I hope Green Bay poops on them.

4. TheDPR says: Aug 18, 2009 8:06 PM

If a Chilly coached team ever wins a Super Bowl, I’ll eat Brett Favre’s hat.

5. Living_Legend says: Aug 18, 2009 8:09 PM

He’s washed up. He’s going to get Chilly fired and disgrace himself, can’t wait to watch the trainwreck.

6. Samuel L. Bronkowitz says: Aug 18, 2009 8:10 PM

If this is all true then Chilly just admitted that he is unfit to be a head coach. If he really thinks that Favre is going to save his job then he’s already done.
    Even if they get to the playoffs – and they’re one Adrian Peterson injury away from oblivion – Favre will throw it to the other team at the worst possible moment and someone else will be the recipient of the kind of gift that got Eli a ring and a big raise.

7. bigjoey46us says: Aug 18, 2009 8:12 PM

8. empty13 says: Aug 18, 2009 8:14 PM

bf: honey dont u want me to win another superbowl?
    daughter: yes, daddy. (then went back to playing with barbies or bratz or whatever…)

9. Darth Ringo says: Aug 18, 2009 8:16 PM

PLEASE don’t turn the entire season into a “Will Brett win the game for his little girl?” marathon. That would be utterly stoopid.

10. GBPackers says: Aug 18, 2009 8:18 PM

Bob Nelson’s sources say this is not true…….

11. Osterhouse says: Aug 18, 2009 8:19 PM

Lets do it Favre, one last glory run. A punchers chance as they call it in Rocky. Forget all these morons hating on the comeback. I mean honestly…who really cares? Why get all pissy over this…there is no reason to freak out over Favre coming back (well unless you are a loyal, longtime packer fan..but the majority of ppl dont care about the packers or vikings until all this Favre drama, why do you need to get your two sense into it…no 1 cares what you think and you dont have a real legit reason to hate). Life is too short, do your own thing and let Favre do his.

12. Dr. Michael says: Aug 18, 2009 8:19 PM

Phila Daily News: “A 2008 investigative report by the Inspector General of the Agriculture Department said that a confidential informant reported that Vick twice threw family pets into the ring with his trained fighters because he and two co-defendants “thought it was funny to watch the pit bulls belonging to [his kennel] injure or kill the other dogs.”

13. se18a29 says: Aug 18, 2009 8:19 PM

Dear Puker Fans:
    hahahahahahahahahhahahahaa
    hahahaahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahaaahahahahahahhaahaa
    hahahahahahahahahahaahahaah
    hahhahahahahahahahahhaaha!!!

14. Fan_Of_ Four says: Aug 18, 2009 8:20 PM

Florwierdo…you do any time over at Fox News ? They like to make sh!t up as well.

15. empty13 says: Aug 18, 2009 8:22 PM

time for taco bill to do a presley-style lampoon of favre/chilly.
    It’s now or never,
    come hold me tight
    Kiss me my darling,
    be mine tonight
    Tomorrow will be too late,
    it’s now or never
    My love won’t wait.
    When I first saw you
    with your smile so tender
    My heart was captured,
    my soul surrendered
    I’d spend a lifetime
    waiting for the right time
    Now that your near
    the time is here at last.
    It’s now or never,
    come hold me tight
    Kiss me my darling,
    be mine tonight
    Tomorrow will be too late,
    it’s now or never
    My love won’t wait.
    Just like a willow,
    we would cry an ocean
    If we lost true love
    and sweet devotion
    Your lips excite me,
    let your arms invite me
    For who knows when
    we’ll meet again this way
    It’s now or never,
    come hold me tight
    Kiss me my darling,
    be mine tonight
    Tomorrow will be too late,
    it’s now or never
    My love won’t wait.

16. Citizen Strange says: Aug 18, 2009 8:23 PM

The forecast for Favre is chili today and hot tamale!

17. CaptainFantastik says: Aug 18, 2009 8:26 PM

Favre hasn’t put the time or work in. He’s going to crash and burn. Like he has all 3 seasons in the last 4 where he didn’t put the offseason time in. If Favre actually had a brain in his head he’d have figured out after 07 that offseason work pays dividends.

18. longrodvanhungendong says: Aug 18, 2009 8:28 PM

Like Greybeard said, if you don’t like it, don’t watch it! Stay tuned for the attendance/ratings for the primetime Vikings games!!!!!!!!!

19. broncoman says: Aug 18, 2009 8:31 PM

I hate to be the one to break it to his little girl, but if the vikings made the superbowl…the Broncos would have to deny Brett another title…just like ’97 baby!

20. det32 says: Aug 18, 2009 8:39 PM

i 100% agree with u bigjoey

21. Dr. Michael says: Aug 18, 2009 8:41 PM

“Burt” Favre will win the Super Bowl for his little girl,
    Rudy Favre…

22. Jaydub says: Aug 18, 2009 8:47 PM

0-16 please
    I’d join a monastary if I could see Favre get the absolute shit kicked out of him and see the Vikes go the way of the ’08 Lions
    Wishful thinking, but…a lovely thought

23. PJW says: Aug 18, 2009 8:48 PM

“bigjoey46us says:
    August 18, 2009 8:12 PM
    This is really wrong of me to say but I really hope he gets a career ending injury so we don’t have to deal with this crap next year”
    ————–
    Said injury to occur this Friday or sooner would be best.

24. Florios_a_tool says: Aug 18, 2009 9:01 PM

Look at the bright side, now, twice a year, he’s got a real shot to complete some passes to guys wearing Packer’s jerseys.

25. watchmorebaseball says: Aug 18, 2009 9:09 PM

The Vikings want to sell tickets. They have no chance too get to the Super Bowl and they might fall short of the playoffs if Peterson doesn’t approach 2,000 yards. At least this will be it for Favre. He can’t carry a team anymore and his injury will finally convince him the next retirement will be final.
    The Broncos? They don’t figure to make .500.

26. simple_simon1 says: Aug 18, 2009 9:20 PM

HAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!
    Are you for real Favre? I used to like the Vikings, now, I hope they lose nearly every game. I’m actually cheering for somebody to accomplish what nobody else seems to be willing to do, including Favre himself. I want someone to snap his damn leg so the decision to stay retired will be officially out of his hands.
    I hope all you band wagon Viking fans are happy. You’re so stupid, and your organization is as well. Let me put it the following ways (sorry to his daughter, no Superbowl this year for the Vikings unless anybody actually believes they can beat teams like the Patriots…..hahaha….They’ll be lucky against the Lions)
    1) You just completely lied to your team about what you wanted. Now no other player will trust you when you say that they’re safe.
    2) After watching him basically leave the Packers and the Jets for death (and, yes, he screwed the Packers, not vice versa), he’s going to now do it to your team and you’re all so dumb you don’t seem to see it.
    3) You just completely ostracized the QB’s who, despite what happens this year, will have to be the players to lead the team in the future. You are doing this on the pathetic assumption that this retarded move can actually get you the Superbowl…. Good luck idiots.
    4) When the Vikings don’t make the SB this year it ends up being an expensive, one year tour for this idiot again. Also, they will have a good enough season that they still won’t pick in the top 20 next year, making it impossible to pick up any of the elite QB’s in next years draft. This pretty much guarantees that the Vikings will not win anything for many years.
    Thank God I’m not a Vikings fan. If I was once, I no longer would be. And if I was a member of the Packers organization. I would be making a point not to have his number or anything about him retired for a very long time after this. I hate the Packers too, but at least they have showed class for the past 2 years, unlike this f’n idiot.
    Go away already. You weren’t good 5 years ago even. You won’t be this year. The Vikings just threw away the next 3 years at least.

27. JimmySmith says: Aug 18, 2009 9:22 PM

Its the perfect marriage, the QB that chokes in the playoffs is now playing for the team that defines the word, “Choke”.
    Throw in a head coach is can’t call plays, a couple of guys who will be suspended for drugs, a pot smoking rookie and it has all the makings of a real train wreck.

28. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Aug 18, 2009 9:24 PM

The real kicker is that Childo has lost all credibility with his team (not that he ever had any to begin with) by acting like a start struck girl doing whatever it takes to get laid by a pro athlete. Now or never? Why would Favre believe that? He said he needed to show up to mini-camp if he wanted to be a Viking. Oooops. Then he said he needed an answer before training camp. Ooooops. Then he and the owner slammed the door shut not once but twice about Favre being a Viking. Oooooops.
    Now you have the full circus bearing down on your entire team all season and this is the coach who is going to have to keep them on track and eliminate the distractions from a team that has a hard time with them to begin with? In the words of Ocho Cinco “Child Please”. Childo won’t have the authority with his team or Favre to bench him when his arm starts falling off or he starts throwing his INT’s and Zygi is desperate to sell tickets since the fans won’t even buy them when they are winning. This train wreck is going to be FUN to watch!

29. Someone says: Aug 18, 2009 9:27 PM

You Packers fans suck. As much as I dislike Favre your 200% worse. the viking sent randy moss packing and he was cheered by the Vikings fans when he played againt them in the dome.
    Farvre said if your a real fan you won’t hold it against him. You sound like losers.

30. Blastoff says: Aug 18, 2009 9:30 PM

Football is alive and well after all. BRETT FARVE is back. BRETT FARVE would not have come back if he was not able to play. His shoulder and arm were injued the last 5 games of last year is why the Jets fell apart. Surgery has corrected the problem. He was coming back the whole time, Brett just didn’t want to go to training camp. Minnesota is now a viable Super Bowl contender. The NFL is better off with FARVE coming back. High viewer ratings means more money, and THE LEGENDARY BRETT FARVE brings higher viewer ratings. Even the FARVE haters will be watching and hoping he BOMBS. If FARVE wins another Super Bowl, he will be the oldest Quarterback to win the BIG GAME. Another record for FARVE. Every football fanatic has gotta love this.

31. FumbleNuts says: Aug 18, 2009 9:33 PM

Can’t wait until he meets the pounding Packer defense this year! BAAAHAAA

32. Living_Legend says: Aug 18, 2009 9:34 PM

Dr. Michael, go back to Phillynews and post your ridiculious garbage there. Where does it say anything about Vick? This is Farve bashing loser. By the way, did Vick turn you down when you offered him oral?

33. se18a29 says: Aug 18, 2009 9:35 PM

$25 million for 2 years. That’s cheap for a 3 time MVP.

34. The People's Junk says: Aug 18, 2009 9:37 PM

formerly dystopianow says:
    August 18, 2009 8:06 PM
    ———-
    Ok, formerly, who wasn’t watching the presser? Favre said that he asked his 10 year old, she said whatever he wanted, then after the news came out that he was not coming back, she cried on the back porch and said that she had wanted him to go back and win another SB.
    Great post though, uhh, moron.

35. broncoguy1125 says: Aug 18, 2009 9:42 PM

$12 million a year….
    For Love of the Game my ass
    When Jordan came back for the Wizards, he played for $2 million and donated it to the 9/11 relief fund.
    “Mr. Football” needs $12 million a year? And why in God’s name would Minnesota pay this much? Who were they bidding against?????

36. Living_Legend says: Aug 18, 2009 9:46 PM

I guess Madden has to have a comeback in the works because of these shocking(lol) turn of events.

37. Farves sweet Hair says: Aug 18, 2009 9:52 PM

38. rcunningham says: Aug 18, 2009 9:54 PM

“# JimmySmith says: August 18, 2009 9:22 PM
    Its nothing new that the Vikings sign ex Packers after they are over the hill (Darren Sharper, Robert Furgeson, Longwell), but none that have the potential to derail the team like Brent “I’m a INT Diva” Favre.”
    Uh, Jimmy, you are aware that Favre has actually WON a Super Bowl right?
    I’m sick of all these “LOL VIKINGS WILL SUCK NOW CUZ FAVRE IS OLD AND THROWS INTERCEPTIONS LOL”
    I think you’re forgetting Gus the Bus was also an interception machine…AND WE STILL WENT 10-6!
    We have the best runningback in the league, possibly the best d-line in the league, a great o-line, and a defense that has a shot of being the number 1 ranked.
    Our only glaring holes are our receivers, but they’re good enough that Favre can flourish with them.
    Also the people WISHING injury on Favre are sick. Wishing an injury on ANY player is just pure scum.

39. Jaydub says: Aug 18, 2009 9:59 PM

“Favre is a pretty good bull sh!ter. I think he should sell insurance after his football career.”
    Impossible. His football career will never end

40. CaptainFantastik says: Aug 18, 2009 9:59 PM

“$25 million for 2 years. That’s cheap for a 3 time MVP.”
    ——————————————–
    Not if the MVP’s were won last century.

41. Smush Rodrigez says: Aug 18, 2009 9:59 PM

Florio,
    Here is an angle that I am curious about. I will say that my thought is very Florio like.
    My theory is that the deal was done before, as you reported. And that part of the deal was that Favre did not have to atend training camp. So, Chilly gave Favre the playbook to study so that he was studying and working out on his own while he was notin camp.
    Is this legal? How else could he play 3 days after signing? I know he has played in the West Coast offense but terminology is different, etc. I truly think that this is the way it happened.
    However, I will say that I could care less even if this did happen. 3 most annoying stories in sports: Favre, steroids in baseball, and Vick.

42. simple_simon1 says: Aug 18, 2009 10:08 PM

hey rcunningham.
    hahahhaa…..good post loser…. whatg are you, seven. No be a good boy and go to bed.
    I do hope he gets injured, and badly!!!! I hope there is no chance for another annual unretirement next year.
    And the Vikings have the best Defense hey….LMAO….. I can’t wait to watch people throw all over that swiss cheese secondary again…
    And for the record, talented or not, tell AP to try holdon onto the ball this year. The fumbles are getting old.
    The Vikings are literally one AP injury away from a 4 win season…..Better keep him healthy.

43. simple_simon1 says: Aug 18, 2009 10:13 PM

After this pathetic season of old retirees, I think the old Viking fans will be wishing for the good old days of “the Love Boat”……..hahahha

44. JaredAllen69 says: Aug 18, 2009 10:22 PM

# Fan_Of_ Four says: August 18, 2009 8:20 PM
    *********************************************
    No dumb ass, CNN (Communist News Network), PMSNBC, ABC, CBS, and NBC are the ones who make sh!t up. Ever hear of Dan Rather?

45. rcunningham says: Aug 18, 2009 10:22 PM

And OH MY GOD HARVIN SMOKES POT!!
    Get a life. Anyone who didn’t smoke pot in high school was probably a nerd who got shoved into lockers or one of those “I’M BETTER THAN YOU GUYS CUZ I’M STRAIGHT EDGE” kids who no one liked.
    Pot doesn’t magically make you suck at sports. Just ask Randy Moss and Michael Phelps.

46. Alpheratz says: Aug 18, 2009 10:27 PM

smush is right.
    This is a deal that’s been set up for quite some time to get Favre past training camp.
    I guess it’s SOP, but the constant lying that goes on in sports can’t be a good thing.

47. jxhnne says: Aug 18, 2009 10:38 PM

serious question who thinks if ap goes down this team goes anywhere

48. Sparrowhawk says: Aug 18, 2009 10:41 PM

Years from now we will find out that this deal was consummated weeks ago and that Favre has been studying the Viking playbook since that time. Yes Smush, that is illegal, but legalities and honesty have low priority in the dealings of Bus and Brett.

49. rcunningham says: Aug 18, 2009 10:43 PM

“# simple_simon1 says: August 18, 2009 10:13 PM
    For God sake…..You could have had Vick, who wants to play for a long time, for 1/10th the cost……What a retarded team”
    Vick sucks. Seriously.

50. qb19 says: Aug 18, 2009 10:51 PM

@JimmySmith
    Ryan Longwell is washed up? Really? Btw, how’s Mason looking this year?
    @everyone
    If you wish injury on another human being because they play for a rival team, how much better than Mike Vick or any of the other “thug” athletes you bemoan ritually? You’d seriously wish a crippling injury on someone you don’t even know? I love the trash talking; it may be the best part of football, but I just don’t get wishing for injury. It lessens the game. Would you feel proud to beat inferior opponents? You’re crazy if you can’t see that the NFL is better with Farve. I knew that for the many years that I considered him a sworn rival. I know it now. Like Farve said, if you don’t like it, don’t watch. I love how much everyone whines about the media coverage of Farve while they’re glued to their TV’s and computer screens and posting their tripe on sites like this. GO DO SOMETHING ELSE IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT!!! Seriously, it’s summertime and we have an obesity problem in this country. Go for a walk! Actually, make it a hike.
    Lastly, anyone heard from Bob_Nelson? Seriously, I’m worried about the guy.

51. MasterShake says: Aug 18, 2009 10:57 PM

jxhnne says:
    August 18, 2009 10:38 PM
    “serious question who thinks if ap goes down this team goes anywhere”
    Chester Taylor is the answer. He’s not AD (no RB is right now) but he could start on a few other teams.

52. SeattleGBfan says: Aug 19, 2009 12:12 AM

Another coach killer… cilly be gone w/Fb See you next year . . . Can this RUBE pull those bitch poney tails when I le

53. SeattleGBfan says: Aug 19, 2009 12:14 AM

OK so whan BF spoils tast in mouth can IPull on the pony tails when I spunk my joy and bukkake the vike queens!!!! /Favre queent!! LMFAO!

54. SeattleGBfan says: Aug 19, 2009 12:16 AM

FAVER = Coach Killer Chilly gone!

55. Beer Cheese Soup says: Aug 19, 2009 12:57 AM

jxhnne says:
    serious question who thinks if ap goes down this team goes anywhere
    ______
    Who thinks they go anywhere even if he DOESN’T go down?
    Seriously. Peterson is without a doubt the best RB in the league right now, but he’s not the whole team. The division was cake last year, but every other team has significantly improved now.
    Things have changed, and the Vikings, with or without Favre, won’t be ready.

56. bigjoey46us says: Aug 19, 2009 7:30 AM

Farves sweet Hair says:
    August 18, 2009 9:52 PM
    ——————-
    I was thinking more of a used car salesman at one of those crappy run down lots.
    @QB19,
    Get off your high horse. And to answer your questions…yes I would wish injury on someone I don’t know. A win is a win even over an inferior opponent. And in fact I do a lot of other things, but I have to manuever through bullcrap stories about Favre…and it only takes me maybe 30 seconds to type all this which leaves me with plenty of time for other activities such as banging your mom.

57. broncoman says: Aug 19, 2009 8:38 AM

@watchmorebaseball
    Why don’t you go do what your name suggests and go watch more baseball. In fact, perhaps your comments might be more suited for a baseball site. Just saying, if you knew anything about football you would see that the Vikings have a pretty good team with or without Farve. Yes, Farve has INT problems but the guy is still good…and a good team will only make him better…maybe. We’ll see, that is why they play the game.
    And your little Broncos prediction: the Broncos will shock pretty much everyone and make a SuperBowl run. Stick around (maybe when baseball finishes its incredibly LONG season) you can come back and see if the Broncos blow away your small under .500 prediction.

58. madM100 says: Aug 19, 2009 10:13 AM

Reading all these posts you packer fans are reeeeeally sweating and digging deep to still find the “vikings will suck this year” theory. Adrian needs 2000 or we wont come close to the playoffs? umm he didnt get 2000 last year and we had a frickin quarterback committee!! If i recall we did make it to the playoffs and lost cuz of our nervous and jumpy QB play. Hey Dimmysmith: how exactly were sharper and longwell washed up when we got them? sharper went to a pro bowl and longwell has one us quite a few close games. (robert ferguson was a never was, we can agree on that) Face the facts last year the vikes were a solid QB and a few extra special teams tackles away from being a complete team and tallying 12 wins. Heath Farwell is back on kickoffs and punts etc. and our punter is back to just kicking as hard and as far as he can, which gave him a lot more success early on in his career than all the recent directional punting. I don’t see how anyone can still think anyone but the vikings can win the NFC North. They have all the makings of a completely dominant team in the NFC in general. As far as beating AFC powere houses like the pats and steelers?….well not sure, time will tell but the bottom line is you are about as smart as a rock if you think the favre acquisition makes the vikings a worse team than they were last year, he doesnt have to pass more than 15-20 times a game, a luxury he may have never had in his career!!!!

59. madM100 says: Aug 19, 2009 10:19 AM

and all this vikings are an AP injury away from a 4 win season BS needs to stop. If you picked the franchise player from any team and said boy if he goes down they mite be in trouble, YOU WOULD BE RIGHT so stop stating the obvious. Packers are an aaron rodgers injury away from not having a PULSE as an offense. Bears are a Cutler injury away from 4 wins. At least we have chester backing up adrian…a solid NFL starter to back up your star is something most other 31 teams in the NFL cant say they have

60. SkinsFanInNebraska says: Aug 19, 2009 11:27 AM

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
    Get retired and stay retired.
    We’re all getting sick of Cirque de Favre, and my team isn’t even involved, thank goodness.

61. Nard100 says: Aug 19, 2009 1:30 PM

Now it all makes sense. You have Favre. A broken down qb who has no intention for going through OTA’s or camp, but wants to be the starter for the Vikes. So instead of just admitting that upfront, he give these monkey-shines about “I just don’t know..” and “I have to be sure…”, etc. When camp opens, he says definitively that he can’t do it anymore. Suddenly, now that camps half over, he pops up like a spring chicken and says, “I’m ready let’s go.”? Wow. Brad Childress has signed his death warrant as a coach. He has alienated his current qb’s (especially T-jack). When (not if), Favre breaks down, this is all coming down like a house of cards. Just ask the Jets.