Bucs avoid preseason blackout

Though one of Florida’s pro football teams is facing a “perfect” ten-for-ten blackout rate in 2009, another Florida team with similar concerns has managed to move enough tickets to permit its preseason home opener to be televised.

Per Pewter Report, Thursday night’s game against the Dolphins will be televised locally.

It remains to be seen whether the team’s decision to give away a bunch of tickets last week helped save the day.  Either way, it’s encouraging news at a time when the intersection of a bad economy and a mediocre-at-best football team could have made it very difficult to sell out Raymond James Stadium.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
9 Responses to “Bucs avoid preseason blackout”
  1. Slow Joe says: Aug 24, 2009 5:30 PM

My damn tickets weren’t free. And I don’t even get a good seat. AND, because they gave us a “season credit card” this year instead of tickets, I have to PAY to email “tickets” if I want to give them to someone.
    Cheap-ass Bucs owners. When the three-year extension to the original seat deposit ends, I’m done as a season ticket holder. The best seats are in front of my TV, anyway.

2. MikeBrownDelendaEst says: Aug 24, 2009 5:51 PM

What are the financial implication for a preseason blackout, and do they differ from the regular season? Do the teams lose TV money when they can’t sell out their stadium?

3. killachap says: Aug 24, 2009 5:56 PM

I don’t understand how god awful teams like the Raiders, Chiefs, Rams, Texans etc can never have blackouts but teams that are playoff capable do. What is wrong with people in Florida? Do you people just not know how to be a fan? Look at baseball. The Marlins have won more world series in their existance than half of the teams that are considered elite but yet you never see anyone there. I would be ashamed if I was a Florida “sports fan”

4. notsosmart says: Aug 24, 2009 6:39 PM

Jump in a lake killachap.

5. Champ Kind with Sports says: Aug 24, 2009 6:44 PM

killachap:
    It is shameful. I am a fan in Tampa, and it is pathetic the level of disinterest/hatred that people in FL have for local sports teams. I have lived here for 32 years, and people either just don’t care or they constantly talk crap about the teams (in good times and bad.) The only time it is even remotely a good scene is if the team is on the verge of winning a championship (I mean literally like within a game or two of winning a championship,) then it is right back to the same old routine. I blame a lot of it, at least around here, on a terrible mess of local media personalities. If you read a newspaper or listen to 620wdae (which is insanely the affiliate station of the Bucs) you would hate the team as well. Just go read the comments on a typical tbo.com sports story and you will see the idiotic personalities of an average Tampa “fan.”
    There are a lot of good fans, but there are just way to many uneducated, transient, “casual” (which is a generous term) fans to make it a good place for sports. The Gators are just about the only team anywhere close that can say they have great, die-hard fans, but no pro teams can say that at all.

6. UFL says: Aug 24, 2009 6:45 PM

Unlike you, The NFL and its league of criminals can go straight to the toliet. We dont bow down to the NFL like you do.
    There is more to life than THE NFL and its criminals.
    There are millions of people who despise the NFL.

7. Slow Joe says: Aug 24, 2009 6:48 PM

@killachap: I think it’s the nice weather and the fact that we have so many other things competing for our entertainment dollar. That said, the Bucs have sold out every single home game since Raymond James Stadium opened in 1998. We may have trouble selling out this year–due to the economy more than anything; we’ve had a 5-11 and 4-12 years during that streak–but I am by no means ashamed.

8. Jaydub says: Aug 24, 2009 7:47 PM

Tampa sports fans are a joke. If you aren’t winning, they couldn’t care less. History has proven it with every single one of their professional sports teams(Bucs, Lightning, Rays)
    They’re always bitching and complaining that fans of other teams keep taking over their house, but thats because opposing fans have the balls to stick with their teams through good and bad times. Tampa only likes winners so they can claim to have ‘been there since the beginning’
    I live in Tampa. I’ve been watching it for years