Favre will play first half of August 31 game

Beat writers from the two major Twin Cities papers (Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press and Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star Tribune) have tweeted less than a minute apart the news that we all sort of expected.

Two weeks to the day after a chance (eye roll) phone call from Vikings coach Brad Childress prompted a man who likely agonizes over the choice between Coke and Pepsi to get on a plane to Minnesota the next morning, sign a contract upon his arrival, practice with the team as the ink dried, and (as we hear it) move that night into the house where he’ll live through the end of the season, Brett Favre will play a full half of football.

Favre will get two quarters of work in the third preseason game, a contest at Houston that will be televised by ESPN.

It remains to be seen whether Tarvaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels will get the nod once Favre exits.  Rosenfels missed Friday night’s game with an ankle injury, and Jackson churned out a perfect passer rating of 158.3 in a performance that should prompt the 49ers to ask the Vikings to name their price for a guy who’s better right now than Shaun Hill and Alex Smith.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Favre will play first half of August 31 game”
  1. Bun McSticky says: Aug 24, 2009 4:06 PM

I think everyone would agree, including Favre, he needs this time with the first team.

2. Wiscdave says: Aug 24, 2009 4:08 PM

Childress also said that he may carry 4 quarterbacks on the roster this year. Whether that is salesman’s talk remains to be seen.

3. TheDPR says: Aug 24, 2009 4:09 PM

“Jackson churned out a perfect passer rating of 158.3 in a performance that should prompt the 49ers to ask the Vikings to name their price for a guy who’s better right now than Shaun Hill and Alex Smith.”
    or Brett Favre, for that matter.

4. Yak says: Aug 24, 2009 4:20 PM

“On Friday night against the Chiefs, Favre appeared in two three-and-out drives, completing one of four passes and taking a couple of hard hits.”
    Actually, the 1st drive was 4-and-out. They did 3-and-out the 2nd drive….

5. straverse says: Aug 24, 2009 4:28 PM

He won’t make it through. This will be the end for Favre.

6. Tomb says: Aug 24, 2009 4:30 PM

FLORIO,
    Favre’s existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don’t want the truth because, deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want Favre on that wall, you NEED Favre on that wall. Favre uses words like honor, code, loyalty. Favre uses these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. Favre has neither the time nor the inclination to explain himself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that Favre provides and then questions the manner in which he provides it. Favre would rather you just said thank you and went on your way.

7. empty13 says: Aug 24, 2009 4:46 PM

NOV 1. THE END.

8. jimicos says: Aug 24, 2009 4:48 PM

Yeah, but does he live in Minneapolis in the offseason?

9. JimmySmith says: Aug 24, 2009 5:10 PM

10. TheBaySay says: Aug 24, 2009 5:43 PM

He sure needs a lot of practice. I bought the St. Paul paper on Sunday and it was pretty embarrassing. Pictures of the bandwagon riders in their new #4 jerseys, and a mini-poster of Bert, which are to be expected. But also a sports column where it was opined that owner Kikmi Wilf deserves a new stadium from taxpayers because he has spent money on the team, including Favre, and a quote from a “top” team official that “We used to think we could win a championship; now we KNOW we can.” (Because, y’know, Bert was on a winning team 13 1/2 years ago.) Just a bit sad to see all the typical Mini hoopla in full bloom: Look at us! Look at us! See? We’re in the big leagues! Really!

11. killachap says: Aug 24, 2009 5:52 PM

@ Tomb:
    Did you really just write that entire paragraph? That may be the most retarded thing I have ever read.

12. Shoessler says: Aug 24, 2009 5:59 PM

This TURD took a really big CRAP on his legacy and I agree that he is a true Hall of Famer TURD who deserves his rightful place in the TURD HALL of FAME, so his legions of TURD lovers can have a place to Mecca and reminisce about his smelly farts of the past.
    Get off my team, TURD.
    The stats don’t lie, YOU DO.

13. purpleguy says: Aug 24, 2009 6:22 PM

Hey, if Minnesotans are supposedly buying into the Favre hoopla, how come all the Viking Favre jerseys sold out last weekend in Green Bay of all places?
    Again, most Minnesota fans with half a brain realize he isn’t a savior — just better than what we’ve got. And fans ain’t exactly jumping around in the streets in support of Klink either. What cheesers call blindly supporting their team, Minnesotans call constructive criticism.
    And anyone who thought T-Jack was a superstar Friday wasn’t watching the game. He stared down each primary receiver and still didn’t progress through his reads. A starting caliber secondary would and will pick him apart.

14. Farves sweet Hair says: Aug 24, 2009 6:29 PM

Who’s the bigger Douchebag
    Farve or Chilly.
    It’s pretty F’n close man!

15. Tomb says: Aug 24, 2009 6:29 PM

@ killachap:
    Well that’s distressing to hear. I’ve read a few of your posts, and I have to admit, if ANYBODY knows retarded, it’s you.

16. empty13 says: Aug 24, 2009 6:32 PM

favre will be totally gassed after a coupla series.
    then it will be time to go back to the locker room for a geritol break.
    ///////////////
    and dave… i guess that means… favre… sage… booty… cant mean t-jack cause he cant play qb anyway. the only way he can get a 158.3 rating is if the other team was all totally inexperienced and stoopid.

17. killachap says: Aug 24, 2009 6:46 PM

@ Tomb:
    Ok, I’m new at this with you so here goes…
    “Favre’s existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.”
    My response: WTF are you talking about? When has he ever saved anyones life? In fact I would argue he just ruined the lives of everyone of his new teamates who were likely on a playoff season until his gimp arm showed up. But that’s just football. Your indication with this amazingly absurd claim is that he SAVED a life. HUH?
    “You don’t want the truth because, deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want Favre on that wall, you NEED Favre on that wall.”
    My response: Without Favre there will still be some attention whore athlete in the NFL for Florio and other sports journalists to write about.
    “Favre uses words like honor, code, loyalty. Favre uses these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something.”
    My respoonse: What in the hell has Favre ever done that is honroable or loyal? I mean loyal to himself yeah I guess you got that one. Honor? Toying with the media and football fans with calculated retirements and unretirements, trying to destroy the Packers when they realized he had run his course. The very franchise who MADE him? Honor? Please…
    “Favre has neither the time nor the inclination to explain himself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that Favre provides and then questions the manner in which he provides it.”
    My response: What freedom has Brett Favre ever granted or provided?
    There you have it sir. I think it is quite obvious that you are mistaking Brett Favre with a real hero, maybe an American Solider who has granted the freedom for Florio to write his blog and for morons like you to comment on it. So I guess you are right, I do know retarded… obviously you just fit the bill.

18. pkrlvr says: Aug 24, 2009 6:55 PM

Do none of you douches even realize how ironic it is that you’re predicting when the guy who hasn’t missed a game in 18 years will get hurt? Very funny. If Favre starts the year, he’ll finish it, mark my words.

19. rcunningham says: Aug 24, 2009 7:00 PM

“# JimmySmith says: August 24, 2009 5:10 PM
    But in reality, I doubt one of those QB’s will make it all the way thru the season (either Favre to injury or T Jack Off to smoking blunts with Harvin) so Col Klink will be a step ahead of us all, just like he always brags about.”
    Did you just imply that Jackson smokes weed because he’s black?
    Wow. Just, wow. I remember you making another racist comment on another topic. I now know I can never take anything you say seriously.

20. Fan_Of_ Four says: Aug 24, 2009 7:02 PM

Hmmmm …..
    TheBay says Favre was good 13 1/2 years ago, uhhhhh wasn’t it just two years ago that the Packers played in the NFC championship game with Favre ? What have the Packers done since besides sh!t the bed ?

21. Tomb says: Aug 24, 2009 7:08 PM

Wow killachap, you’re actually serious, aren’t you?
    Do yourself a favor…there’s this quirky little movie called “A Few Good Men.”
    It’s not well known (rolls eyes), but go ahead and take a peek, and the post may just suddenly make sense to you.
    In the mean time, can I offer up some advice?
    If you are unsure/confused about something, go ahead and say nothing. It’s better to leave people guessing than to showcase your, shall we say, ignorance?
    Take that for what it’s worth.

22. killachap says: Aug 24, 2009 7:11 PM

@ Fan_of_Four:
    They also lost that championship game because of Favre’s play. And its only been one season, how could the Packers have shit the bed? Anyone who actually knows anything about football will tell you that the Packers are a team with a lot of potential. Favre on the other hand, has no potential and no future. A great past with a now tainted legacy, obviously.

23. killachap says: Aug 24, 2009 7:18 PM

Here we go again, another wondeful use of the word ignorant. Obviously you are another one who the public school system has failed. Regardless of where it came from your implications are still there. Unless you were being sarcastic with your use then my point is still valid and you are a fool.
    Before you think someone doesn’t know what they are talking about or understands what you are saying, ah hell it isnt even worth it….
    however if you were using it to be sarcastic and not serious as i took it then I will apologize, with honor.

24. Tomb says: Aug 24, 2009 7:34 PM

killachap, I was being sarcastic…if you didn’t get that, then I don’t know what to say. NOTE Florio used that quote as a GOOD quote?? Why do you think that is?
    …and by the way, after attacking with words like “retarded” and “moron” without knowing what you were even talking about, your apology is meaningless.
    Have a nice day.

25. Mariann Pepitone says: Aug 24, 2009 8:25 PM

I don’t believe in downgrading Favre or even Michael Vick because all quarterbacks are in the game to do the best they can. And everyone has an off day. Like Eli Manning did against the Bears. I know Manning is a good quarterback but the Giants had five injured players that day. No one is perfect and mistakes will always be made. I am rooting for Favre even though I am a Chicagoan all my life. I am not a fan of Vick’s because I am an extreme animal lover however, he paid his dues and life goes on. We have to put the past behind us and go on with the future.

26. jimicos says: Aug 24, 2009 9:26 PM

rcunningham says:
    August 24, 2009 7:00 PM
    Did you just imply that Jackson smokes weed because he’s black?
    —————————-
    That’s a stretch. Why does race have anything to do with it?

27. jimicos says: Aug 24, 2009 9:31 PM

Can we get some predictions for Favre’s stats for the first half of the Chiefs game?
    I’ll go with 10-18 for 134 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 2 sacks.

28. EMan says: Aug 24, 2009 10:10 PM

# JimmySmith regarding the post below:
    “# JimmySmith says: August 24, 2009 5:10 PM
    “I would love to see Chilly carry 4 QB’s. It would only prove what everyone already knows outside of Biqueen land, the guy is the Peter Principle in action.
    rcunningham in reply:
    Did you just imply that Jackson smokes weed because he’s black?
    __________________________________
    I am with rcunningham. You really write racist garbage bub and should be booted off the site. Blind, arrogant, foolish, homophobic, pulpit smacking GB fan. You are sad guy.

29. Florios_a_tool says: Aug 24, 2009 10:10 PM

@Tomb
    OK Tomb, you mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it’s me, I’m a little f*cked up maybe, but I’m funny how, I mean funny like I’m a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I’m here to f*ckin’ amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

30. hayward giablommi says: Aug 24, 2009 10:27 PM

@ rcunningham
    You took anything JimmySmith said seriously? Whoa. About that Santa Claus fellow…
    Seriously, though, once you accept JS for what he is, an embittered covertly racist troll only capable of “Col Klink” and “Chea-ter” references, you will be set free.

31. Shoessler says: Aug 25, 2009 2:54 PM

What is frustrating about all of this TURD hype is that No-one has adressed the fact that we lost Birk and now we have a new center starting under a washed up old man who doesn’t listen or want to build chemistry. Now there has been a QB rotating door over the past few years, (Thanks to Chilly) and NONE of our WR’s have been able to build any chemistry with anyone. Do we have a #1 WR? …Berrien is a stretch.
    The TURD can’t help us other than use the Vikings as a grand marketing scheme perpetrated by any FOOL who has a #4 Jersey of ANY color. Wait until the Sears commercials air…I understand the business side of a decision like this for the team, but it ends there.
    He will get hurt, play hurt and still suck and if I hear that stat about how he hasn’t missed start in 18 years one more time I am going to puke….His not missing a start makes him the ALL-TIME INT leader. His stats will eventually be eclipsed, but the two that will stay are the Starts and the INT’s. Not the TD’s and the Superbowls.
    Have faith Purple, the TURD might go away in a few years or when he is “Run Out” when real talent finds a way to our QB position, but we haven’t had that in a long time either until we get “Real Talent” at the coaching position rather then sending our former coaches off to win their own Superbowls…(Dungy, Billick, Tomlin)
    I want a TURD-free Superbowl win.

32. empty13 says: Aug 25, 2009 3:00 PM

been looking into favr eperformance as a qb inside domes.
    2008 0-0
    2007 3-0
    2006 2-0
    2005 1-2
    2004 3-1
    partially inflated by getting to play in detroit. 5-3 against other teams in domes. not that bad.
    last 5 years 9-3. i keep saying old qbs dont run around as much. which helps some in domes cause the directed noise from the sidelines is even more brutal than the noise in the middle of the field.
    2003 1-2
    2002 1-2
    2001 1-2
    2000 1-1
    1999 0-2
    1998 0-2
    1997 1-2
    1996 3-1
    1995 1-2
    1994 0-2
    1993 1-2
    1992 2-2
    12 years, 12-22. and they didnt beat detroit in the dome that often.
    but this is old news. i dont think playing in a dome, especially a home dome, will affect favre negatively.