Palmer likely to miss another preseason game

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said that Carson Palmer could have played in last week’s preseason game if it was the regular season.

Despite that, Lewis doesn’t feel comfortable yet throwing Palmer back into live action quite yet.  He’s not even sure when Palmer will fully return to practice.

Lewis said Palmer is “most likely out” this week against the Rams, although he wouldn’t rule out a return to practice for Palmer sometime this week.

Palmer is confident he’ll be ready for the season opener against the Broncos, but that’s about it.

“Anything before that, we’ll see where we’re at,” Palmer said.

There is no reason to panic, but it has to be frustrating for Palmer to miss this much preseason work after sitting out the final 12 weeks of last season.

If Palmer has any rust left over from his elbow injury, he will have to shake it off during the regular season.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Injuries, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
16 Responses to “Palmer likely to miss another preseason game”
  1. The Rural Juror says: Aug 24, 2009 1:35 PM

It’s a shame, b/c Carson Palmer is the best QB in the AFC North.

2. js136202 says: Aug 24, 2009 1:59 PM

The Rural Juror…
    What are the requirements for being the best QB in the AFC North? Playing in 1 playoff game, not being able to stay healthy a full season if your life depended on it, and struggling to try and be .500 for his career?
    I’m tired of hearing how Palmer is an elite QB when the stats and facts just don’t support it. All the talent in the world means nothing without results.

3. realityonetwo says: Aug 24, 2009 2:28 PM

Where are all the condemnations of Palmer for being injury prone? Never seem to hear ‘em, although it seems like he’s always hurt.

4. Rob says: Aug 24, 2009 2:37 PM

Why isn’t anyone talking about the Hard Knocks curse? Reggie Kelly gone, Ben Utecht almost paralyzed, and now Carson with a serious Achilles injury.

5. The Rural Juror says: Aug 24, 2009 2:43 PM

JS,
    NOW you’re catching on…

6. Mexal says: Aug 24, 2009 2:43 PM

js136202…
    His stats don’t support it? He had a season ending injury last year. He had an ankle tweak in 2004 and missed the final 3 games. In 2005, 2006 and 2007, he played all 16 games. That doesn’t suggest he couldn’t stay healthy for a full season.
    Next…
    His stats do support it.
    2005: 68% completion, 3800 yards, 32 TDs, 12 Ints, 101 passer rating
    2006: 62% completion, 4000 yards, 28 TDs, 13 Ints
    2007: 65% completion, 4100 yards, 26 TD, 20 Ints
    Yes, his 2007 season was much worse. But certainly 2005 and 2006 were played to an elite level and that’s without considering that in 2006, he had just come off of ACL and MCL surgery.
    As for the playoffs and the win percentage, fair enough points however the defense was consistently in the bottom 3 and that doesn’t exactly lead to a solid win percentage…something he can’t control as he doesn’t play defense.
    So really, when healthy, he is an elite QB. The question is, will the offensive line protect him enough so he can stay healthy.

7. Beastie Bills says: Aug 24, 2009 2:49 PM

Haha, yeah, if Palmer goes down, I think I’M technically the best quarterback in the AFC North.

8. wcucarter says: Aug 24, 2009 2:49 PM

js136202…
    Last time I checked, there were 52 other people on most professional teams…

9. stiller43 says: Aug 24, 2009 3:06 PM

Alright, just to clarify things, The Rural Juror was being sarcastic.
    And Carson is CLEARLY not the best QB in the AFC North. Hell, as soon as next year he’ll be 3rd to Ben and Mr. Unibrow. One winning season your whole career does not make you anywhere near an elite QB.

10. SixBurghDude says: Aug 24, 2009 3:23 PM

Nobody said wasn’t an elite QB, the operative word being WAS, cause ever since Kimo came-a-callin’, dude hands the ball to the first defender that lays his meat hooks on him…Now for the TOOL that thinks he’s the best QB in the division, I’m sure you also believe that his brother deserves to be pulling an NFL paycheck, no?

11. js136202 says: Aug 24, 2009 3:53 PM

Yes, I know Rural Juror was being sarcastic. Sheesh.
    I agree that Carson Palmer, for periods during his career, has been an elite QB. The argument that the team was unsuccessful because of lack of defense doesn’t hold water.
    When an offense in the AFC North is predicated on an aerial passing attack, any numbnut can tell you it is destined to fail down the stretch. The exception was last year’s Cardinals, who managed to avoid playing in any inclimate weather throughout the playoffs.
    There is no such thing as an elite QB in the NFL who hasn’t won a playoff game.

12. kazkal says: Aug 24, 2009 4:04 PM

js136202 & other Stiller fans
    Yes Carson is the best Quarterback in the AFC North,He just hasn’t had the supporting cast Big Ben has sorry but ben ain’t nothing special and when ever he has been forced to throw more then 25 times in a game the steelers lose alot more then they win….
    BECAUSE HE DOESN’T”T WIN THE GAMEs his job is simply not too lose them.

13. js136202 says: Aug 24, 2009 4:21 PM

I HATE THE STEALERS
    If you knew me, the concept of someone calling me a stealers fan would make you laugh until you pissed yourself, then laugh some more. I use a terrible towel to wipe my unborn children off my sheets.

14. js136202 says: Aug 24, 2009 4:23 PM

I don’t believe ben toothlessberger is an elite QB, however a guy who has a game-winning TD drive in the Super Bowl to his credit vs. a bunch of meaningless regular season statistics, I give the nod to the Super Bowl winner.
    Neither of those 2 is an elite QB to me, however the resume of ben exceeds palmer’s by a mile.

15. jwill007 says: Aug 24, 2009 4:43 PM

“Rob says:
    August 24, 2009 2:37 PM
    I’m sure the Bengals’ front office thought they would not be susceptible to the curse because they had a bad season last year. But they should have asked the winless Lions for a definition of a bad season, before green-lighting Hard Knocks. ”
    1st before you run your big mouth get it right about who has a SERIOUS Achilles injury….Reggie Kelly a blocking TE is gone for the season with that Palmer TWEAKED the ankle and its considered minor…Palmer has been workin with this offense since April and he looked in the 1st preseason game…Get it right! Big Ben??? maybe with the achilles and his doesnt appear to be serious either…Look if you dont know football DONT TALK LIKE YOU KNOW! If you are going to take a shot at another team AT LEAST GET IT RIGHT OR YOU MAKE YOU FAN BASE LOOK LIKE A–es!

16. Slow Joe says: Aug 24, 2009 5:19 PM

I love reading semi-bad news about Carson. I know he’ll be fine, but the more bad press, the later I can draft him as my #2 QB. I’ll end up with two #1 QBs on my depth chart!
    Championship!