Brady on hit: "It didn't hurt"

Tom Brady spoke publicly for the first time since getting drilled Thursday night in the Patriots’ preseason game against the Bengals. The New England quarterback gave the response all men are conditioned to deliver after getting whacked:  “It didn’t hurt.”

Brady, doing his weekly gig on Boston radio station WEEI’s morning show (thanks for the heads-up sportsradiointerviews.com), also said, “I’m glad I got hit.  It felt good for me to get hit like that.  I’ve taken a lot of hits in my career.  They may look bad, but a lot of them don’t feel bad.  The awkward ones are the ones that probably hurt. . . .  I’ve been hit harder than that before.”

Brady said that anyone blaming right tackle Nick Kaczur (like yours truly) for the hit delivered by Bengals defensive end Robert Geathers was incorrect.

“That was my fault,” Brady said. “I certainly deserved [the hit].  Certainly Nick shouldn’t be looked poorly upon for that play.”

Brady completed four of eight passes for 57 yards against Cincinnati and, on two occasions, he didn’t step forcefully into throws as pressure began to swirl near him.

Brady didn’t address that dynamic, but he did say his reconstructed left knee is no distraction.  “I put [the knee] out of my mind.  I try, as much as possible [to make it] a thing in the past for me.  I’ve been able to participate fully this season and I’ve just been really fortunate.  You hear a lot of horror stories of people coming off this type of injury and for me it’s been so smooth.”

As for less physically demanding pursuits like magazine cover shoots, Brady noted that his wife, model Gisele Bundchen, makes sure he’s treated well when he’s in front of the camera.

“She preps all the photographers,” Brady said. “She can put on an ‘m-f” session like Coach Belichick if things don’t go right.”

Mary Frances?

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Injuries, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Brady on hit: "It didn't hurt"”
  1. RevJ says: Aug 24, 2009 6:29 PM

Massey Ferguson

2. blackglass says: Aug 24, 2009 6:31 PM

I am curious to see how the haters twist this into something “classless”.
    For all the hate, he’s one of the toughest QB’s in the league. The only time he ever missed a game was because of a torn ACL (which is the same reason Philip Rivers missed a game, BTW).

3. TLyons4 says: Aug 24, 2009 6:32 PM

Can we make an exception about foul language in the comments for Gisele and Joanna Krupa? They can talk dirty anytime they like as far as I’m concerned…

4. empty13 says: Aug 24, 2009 6:38 PM

mudder flucker

5. Jackal138 says: Aug 24, 2009 6:45 PM

Sure it didn’t, big guy.

6. descendency says: Aug 24, 2009 6:46 PM

Momma, there goes that man again!

7. Citizen Strange says: Aug 24, 2009 6:49 PM

By “if things don’t go right” does Brady mean like he isn’t holding her purse for her the right way or something?

8. Jose Reyes says: Aug 24, 2009 6:49 PM

For clarification: The call was a draw play to the RB and Brady kept the ball without communicating to the linemen effectively (I think he audibled but didn’t let every linemen know). So Koppen let the outside rusher goas you should do on a draw play.

9. gameday says: Aug 24, 2009 6:55 PM

Gisele is more of a man than Cindy Brady.
    Yea, it didnt hurt while you were talking to the media, but behind closed doors in Belicheats office he was crying like the b!atch he is.
    I overheard Gisele telling Cindy Brady, “quit crying like a sissy like that Hayward Giablommi, and get your pansie a** in there and wash my panties…………..AND QUIT WEARING THEM!

10. Paul_R. says: Aug 24, 2009 6:56 PM

Being somewhat tentative could be the result of nothing more than missing an entire year of football. NFL football, played at NFL game speed. He’ll be fine.

11. 10mm says: Aug 24, 2009 7:01 PM

The secret to stopping Brady is hit him hard all the teams know that now.

12. gameday says: Aug 24, 2009 7:01 PM

Brady said that anyone blaming right tackle Nick Kaczur (like yours truly) for the hit delivered by Bengals defensive end Robert Geathers was incorrect.
    “That was my fault,” Brady said. “I certainly deserved [the hit]. Certainly Nick shouldn’t be looked poorly upon for that play.”
    *****************************************
    Did you really expect Brady to put any blame on his dope dealer? If he did that then Kaczur would cut off Brady’s Oxycontin supply, and snitch him out to the feds for pill popping and being secretly a transvestite.

13. VoxVeritas says: Aug 24, 2009 7:01 PM

“Mangina Fit”
    “Master Felcher”
    “Mega Fart”

14. gregoriorossini says: Aug 24, 2009 7:09 PM

blackglass –
    He is also one of the least hit QB’s in the game… so to say he is real tough is hard…
    Wait until Nick Kaczur gets blown up 2-3 times in a game next year and lets see who’s fault it is on the field… (AkA – Brady hissy fit)

15. superius says: Aug 24, 2009 7:34 PM

1. Brady is a whimp because his offensive line is too good and he never gets hit.
    2. The New England O-line is terrible so Brady is going to get hit a lot this year and get reinjured.
    You’ve got to love it when they want to have it both ways. Usually they argue this in separate posts but some (gregorio) attempts to do it in the same post.
    For the record, Kaczur has been a starter on the O-line for a number of years now. He is certainly the weak link in an o-line that has now been together for a number of years. That said you can expect the o-line to preform pretty much the same as it has in the past two or three years… in other words expect Brady to enjoy the protection he usually does. The first few games might be rough due to the layoff and part of Brady’s strength is his decision making and ability to slightly move in the pocket giving him enough time to get the throw off. In other words, until he gets back up to game condition mentally that extra time may not be there, but the O-line will be.
    I’m much more concerned about the pass rush than anything about the o-line.

16. bbq says: Aug 24, 2009 7:38 PM

Peyton Manning would have thrown his tackle under the bus.
    Just sayin’.

17. Insomniac says: Aug 24, 2009 7:58 PM

blackglass: Rivers played in the AFC Championship game in 2007 with a torn ACL. He had surgery after and was ready for the 2008 season opener. He’s a tough one.
    gregoriorossini: Brady takes a lot of hits. in 2007 he was sacked for a low number, but he has taken many big hits/sacks over his career. He always got back up until 2008.

18. Alpheratz says: Aug 24, 2009 8:35 PM

I’m now running ‘idiot blocker’ on FireFox so I won’t be seeing gameday’s posts anymore.

19. gameday says: Aug 24, 2009 9:09 PM

I’m now installed turd blocker in Alpharetz home. Sorry bud, that means your mom finally kicked you out.

20. jimicos says: Aug 24, 2009 10:05 PM

Mike Florio?

21. Florios_a_tool says: Aug 24, 2009 10:06 PM

NBD, it’s early.
    Once the season actually starts, Brady will get hit so hard and so often he’ll lose his gerbil in no time.

22. hayward giablommi says: Aug 24, 2009 10:10 PM

gameday says:
    Gisele is more of a man than Cindy Brady.
    ^^^^^
    Good god gameday, take your incoherant ramblings to TMZ or perez hilton, anywhere but here. We get it. The Patriots, Belichick and Braxy are not your cup of tea.
    I don’t think you’ve ever posted a single FOOTBALL related comment in your entire existance.

23. hayward giablommi says: Aug 24, 2009 10:15 PM

Seriously, though, even though Brady is publicly supporting Kaczur, behind closed doors you can bet that he is geting reamed the hell out, and deservedly so.
    Cassel ran for his life last season…fortunately he was mobile…but another sieve-like performance this year is totally unacceptable.

24. descendency says: Aug 24, 2009 11:06 PM

The Patriots OTs are falling apart. Light is getting slower, Kaczur sucks. The backups are just that, backups.
    Then you have Steven Neal getting beat because he has to do twice his job. Belichick really needed to find some good OL in this draft. I hope he did, because otherwise the Patriots OL could be abysmal before Tom Brady’s career is over…

25. Big Cat E says: Aug 25, 2009 9:26 AM

Maybe Brady got hit because Geathers just blew past Kazcur and made a great play. Kazcur never had a chance to “punch” him in the chest to even slow him down.
    Sometimes a defense makes a play against the offense. Geathers is a former double digit sacker that is poised for a big season.

26. Kevin from Philly says: Aug 25, 2009 9:29 AM

I thought Brady married a supermodel, not Samuel L. Jackson.

27. overkil2 says: Aug 25, 2009 10:08 AM

“bbq says:
    August 24, 2009 7:38 PM
    Peyton Manning would have thrown his tackle under the bus.
    Just sayin’.

Peyton Manning is a whining little bitch.

28. stanjam says: Aug 25, 2009 10:39 AM

Wow, such hopeful thinking. Brady, a wimp? I can understand not liking the man, especially after he shreds your team, but there is NOTHING to indicate that he is a wimp. The only time he has missed a start was when his knee got blown up. He has, in fact, been very tough.
    Hissy fit? The man just took total blame for getting sacked, unlike other prima donna QBs I could mention who have been known to throw their OLine under the bus.
    The secret to beating the Pats is to hit Brady? Getting pressure on the QB is the key to defeating most offenses in the NFL. Teams have known for many years that the best way to shut down the Pats offense is to get pressure on Brady, the problem is doing it. There are very few teams that can actually manage this feat, and none have done it with any kind of consistency.
    So good luck haters. I hear your prophecies of doom, and I take them for what they are: wishful thinking.

29. tmj says: Aug 25, 2009 12:18 PM

Okay gameday, every person who reads PFT gets it – you hate the Pats. But your obsessive compulsive reaction to anything and everything related to the Patriots on this site is beyond just being old – it’s not normal. Considering the fact the next article that mentions New England and does not include multiple responses from you that include the words ‘Belicheat’, ‘Cheatriots’, ‘Cindy Brady’, etc. will be a first, do yourself a favor and get some psychological help.

30. footballnut says: Aug 25, 2009 1:09 PM

Secret to beating Brady is to hit him hard?
    Wow, what a revelation to understanding how to beat a team in the NFL. Absolutely friggin’ shocking.
    I think that can be said for the other 31 starting QBs in the league as well.
    And people, please stop feeding gameday. It’s like a stray cat, keep feeding it, it keeps coming back.
    Just stop feeding the pussy…cat.