Sponsored post: A quick comment about comments

Actually, it’s not a sponsored post, but that’s the magic phrase that blocks our posts from automatically showing up at Twitter.

(If you didn’t know that we have a Twitter feed, you now do.  And you should follow it.)

We’ve had a comments feature for nearly two years now, and it continues to grow in use.

And we continue to approve or delete all comments by hand.

But as the comments pile up, we have less time to read the full content of every entry.  So we primarily scan the comments for one or more of George Carlin’s seven words.  (WARNING:  the preceding link contains most of if not all of Carlin’s seven words.)

So do us a huge favor and watch your language.  Moving forward, we’re going to start summarily banning folks who cross the line.  (For example, SixBurghDude has been bounced today.  He and others know why.)

But don’t let our desire to keep the comments clean stifle your creativity.  Consider this gem, posted earlier today:  “Favre’s existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you,
saves lives.  You don’t want the truth because, deep down in places you
don’t talk about at parties, you want Favre on that wall, you NEED
Favre on that wall.  Favre uses words like honor, code, loyalty.  Favre
uses these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something.
You use them as a punchline.  Favre has neither the time nor the
inclination to explain himself to a man who rises and sleeps under the
blanket of the very freedom that Favre provides and then questions the
manner in which he provides it.  Favre would rather you just said thank
you and went on your way.”

So more of those, less of the other.  Thanks in advance, bitches.

Permalink 82 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill
82 Responses to “Sponsored post: A quick comment about comments”
  1. Legend says: Aug 24, 2009 4:49 PM

nice ;)

2. Feech says: Aug 24, 2009 4:52 PM

So when I said ” Mike why do you have a hard on for Vick” over the weekend that was ok?

3. tom coughlin's coat holder says: Aug 24, 2009 4:52 PM

for an attorney to breech someone’s first amendment rights….for shame florio.

4. BBrophy1 says: Aug 24, 2009 4:56 PM

Ron Burgundy has “you stay classy San Diego” Mike Florio should sign off each edition of PFTV with “thanks in advance, bitches” lol

5. empty13 says: Aug 24, 2009 4:56 PM

“Thanks in advance, bitches.”
    And you are going to be monitoring OUR posts?

6. thehoodedone says: Aug 24, 2009 4:57 PM

Florio, you must hate the steelers. Why else would you ban sixburghdude??

7. hurls187 says: Aug 24, 2009 4:58 PM

great post, Florio. I laughed out loud at the last line. I can respect the overall message as well. For everyone else, show some respect, bitches!!

8. hayward giablommi says: Aug 24, 2009 5:01 PM

Cool.
    How bout the status of the comment ratings?

9. meezle says: Aug 24, 2009 5:03 PM

He banded sixburgdude because he was and is a tool.
    Well done florio

10. Tim says: Aug 24, 2009 5:03 PM

WordPress has a bunch of “bad language” filters for comments. I assume you’re not using that anymore now that you’re on NBC, but you’d think they’d have someone on staff with enough brains to build a similar plugin for your site. It’d pretty much eliminate the problem.

11. Grulks says: Aug 24, 2009 5:04 PM

Mike Florio said:
    “Thanks in advance, bitches.”
    Well, since we apparently can’t use the F bomb here, I’ll just quote OchoCinco:
    “Child, please!”

12. hayward giablommi says: Aug 24, 2009 5:07 PM

Poor SixBurghDude. Guy doesn’t have a job, can’t get laid, has never moved out of mom’s house, “LOL’s”, and- gasp- is a Steelers fan.
    On a serious note, good riddance to one of the most useless PFT posters of all time.

13. gameday says: Aug 24, 2009 5:09 PM

Hayward GivesBj’s, Foosmom, TJ, or Maineman, or Whatever your split personality is calling yourself today.
    Watch your language, all you Cheatriot crybabies,you just might get booted for foul language.
    Now you all could not possibly allow me to sucker you fools into that…….could you?
    I know it is sooooooooo easy to bait you to the point you become shaky, ill, paranoid, and weeping.

14. Kidekk says: Aug 24, 2009 5:11 PM

“potentially offensive content” is putting it rather nicely.

15. Slow Joe says: Aug 24, 2009 5:12 PM

Bring back comment ratings, bitches!

16. bonecity7 says: Aug 24, 2009 5:12 PM

Mike,
    THANK YOU!!!! Addition by subtraction!! This site is vastly improved by the banning of sixburghdude!!!
    Now, would you please can gameday!!! His posts are an insult to anyone with an IQ above 50, even without ‘salty’ language!!

17. Paul_R. says: Aug 24, 2009 5:14 PM

Ok, so we now know that “bitches” isn’t one of the “seven words” (although I already knew that), but it’s also now a word that doesn’t get someone bounced.
    Tempting ….
    Tempting ….
    VERY TEMPTING …………
    ….
    ….
    ….
    Ooh, I had to sweat that one out! Now, regarding this comment:
    “It’s not a foolproof process, and we’ve noticed a trend lately toward comments with salty language and potentially offensive content.”
    Ya think? You’ve teamed up with NBC. Congrats. You’ve also become more relevant because of the new association. Say hello to the trolls, the new pestilence that you’ll forever be bouncing.
    At least Yahoo has an “ignore loser” feature!

18. Zoology says: Aug 24, 2009 5:17 PM

Florio,
    I’ve been reading your site for a fairly long time now. It feels like two years at least, but I can’t remember if PFT has been around that long or not. But I have to say that lately you’ve been really freaking funny. I dunno what’s gotten into you, but I appreciate that your tone has shifted a bit in recent months to the irreverent as opposed to something a bit more scornful.
    Keep it up, sir. For someone like me, your site is often the best part of my workday. Congrats on all your success as well. Hard work does not go unrecognized.

19. OscarMooseFarmer says: Aug 24, 2009 5:18 PM

There you go! It’s time you start biting back at us after all the crap we spew over you! Haha!

20. DG0122 says: Aug 24, 2009 5:20 PM

Child, please

21. Sheriff04 says: Aug 24, 2009 5:26 PM

hahah florio you definately found yourself a new line. Don’t let your new line die haha BBrophy1 said it perfectly, each PFTV segment must end with that!

22. FBGeek77 says: Aug 24, 2009 5:27 PM

Did the poster correctly attribute his “You want Favre on that wall. You need Favre on that wall” rant to Jack Nicholson’s character in the Aaron Sorkin-penned “A Few Good Men”? Just sayin’, it’s nice to acknowledge that like half the great quotes in the last 15 years of entertainment come from Sorkin. ;)

23. Jackal138 says: Aug 24, 2009 5:27 PM

Can’t there be an exception made for speaking to or about Vox Veritas? I mean, have you read the stuff that guy posts?

24. Levito says: Aug 24, 2009 5:38 PM

I have nothing to add. I just felt like ending a comment with “bitches”, bitches.

25. crewfish13 says: Aug 24, 2009 5:39 PM

Florio, I think you ned a “Commenter Turd Watch” where you tabulate the number of banned users per team (if it can be ascertained). The way, we’ll know not only what teams have the most offenses, but also which have the most offensive fans!

26. texasPHINSfan says: Aug 24, 2009 5:41 PM

haha, i think you should adopt the ron burgundy-style of tagline “thanks in advance, bitches!” straight money!
    he just goes to show you can have an expansive vocabulary but still be ignorant.

27. lebowski says: Aug 24, 2009 5:47 PM

This has been a particularly bad time for Packer and Viking fans, what with Lord Favre posts inviting bad blood to boil over. I am embarrassed to admit that I often respond to crude insulting posts with crude insulting posts of my own, and will try to remember that fans of all ages come to these sites. Still hope the jerk leaves the field on a cart this year.

28. YouGuysAreIdiots says: Aug 24, 2009 5:54 PM

CENSORSHIP!
    Taken from Deadspin June, 15th.-
    “And the big question that’s seemingly on everyone’s mind is will Florio’s coverage suffer now that he’s part of a media giant? In an email interview he reiterated what he’s already said about maintaining editorial control but said he plans to ” test that car out properly. And then likely drive it into a utility pole.”
    Mission accomplished.

29. mlegue810 says: Aug 24, 2009 5:55 PM

Just replace the four letter words in your post with the name of your least favorite player. For example:
    I can’t believe the Favreing Lions are going to Favreing suck again this year. Jesus Favreing Christ, can we get a break up here in the piece of Favre NFC North? Favred again!

30. Tomb says: Aug 24, 2009 5:58 PM

In the spirit of cooperation, I will begin referring to Cutler as a resemblance to a Georgia O’Keeffe painting, and avoid that scurrilous “pussy” reference.
    You can count on me, Florio.

31. stanjam says: Aug 24, 2009 6:05 PM

First, to the person complaining about Florio “breeching” first amendment rights, that is nonsense. This is not a “public” forum that would guarantee such rights. It is a privately owned web site, and the owner reserves the right to ban anyone for whatever reason they so choose. I am surprised he hasn’t banned me when I went after him once for things he said.
    Second, this action is ill advised. While it gets rid of a few trouble makers, it will only encourage more to become as nasty as they can while avoiding what they perceive as “the rules.” Florio, you would do much better to use the seven words as an example of things you can ban for, but remind the subscribers that you will also ban people for other posts of abusive or vulgar nature. Right now you, doubtless, have people thinking they can say anything they want without repercussion, as long as they avoid those seven words. Reading your post, they might even be correct.

32. DC_Bengals_Fan says: Aug 24, 2009 6:10 PM

“for an attorney to breech someone’s first amendment rights….for shame florio.”
    You don’t have first amendment rights on somebody else’s blog, numbnuts.
    Can I say “numbnuts”, Florio?

33. RevJ says: Aug 24, 2009 6:27 PM

Thanks for cleaning up the posts, Florio. Banning the seven words will cut some posts in half – (i.e. all Steeler posts)

34. TLyons4 says: Aug 24, 2009 6:28 PM

Now if only we could get people banned for grammar that would make Terri Schiavo embarrassed we’d be getting somewhere…

35. empty13 says: Aug 24, 2009 6:30 PM

favre this, vick that…
    next you will tell me i meant something other than “favre” and “vick” eh, florio?

36. TFBuckFutter says: Aug 24, 2009 6:32 PM

Wait….it takes upwards of 6 or 7 hours sometimes to scan through and look for f-words?
    Why don’t you just install a filter to catch the nastiest words, and then instead of monitoring every post, just let them go through, and let people report the ones that are over the line? Then you only have to review the posts that there are complaints on (and if specific people complain needlessly over and over, just filter out their reports)…..
    Seriously, I know West Virginia is a little behind the times technologically…..but it’s pretty silly that you do all that work manually.
    Also, bring back voter ratings. How else do I know if people like me?

37. tom coughlin's coat holder says: Aug 24, 2009 6:36 PM

sarcasm children,sarcasm…..god almighty are some of you people brain dead?

38. Garbanzo says: Aug 24, 2009 6:57 PM

A quick comment about comments is actually a lengthy read. Long end short, Florio is what Urlacher accused Cutler of being, and this site continues to trend towards being another corporate manufactured POS.

39. RexRyan'sStressedLapband says: Aug 24, 2009 7:04 PM

Alright, Michael, I can get on board with this. I had noticed that the level of language was falling at an exponential rate as of late. Perhaps this will help some of us who are less able to control our anger find a more suitable way to get our points across. Sounds like a winner to me!

40. empty13 says: Aug 24, 2009 7:07 PM

as a whole, lawyers dont care about anyone else’s rights.
    read up on the original 13th amendment sometime. there are also other amendments that were never actually legally ratified.
    but lawyers say they were.

41. VoxVeritas says: Aug 24, 2009 7:11 PM

“and yes, any comments made toward vox veritas should get a pass as that guy spews levels of garbage that would make most waste disposal companies blush.”

42. penguininbondage says: Aug 24, 2009 7:12 PM

almost f’ed up there a moment ago. Good thing I read the while post. For those that Can’t Understand Normal Thinking. Stick your head in a plastic bag.
    The first ammendment is greatly overrated. Now that second ammendment is where the meat is.

43. TFBuckFutter says: Aug 24, 2009 7:37 PM

“VoxVeritas says:
    August 24, 2009 7:11 PM
    Yeah, because it really huts when you guys curse at me! hahaha I think I’ll sell your soul for a quarter next time I feel the need to make a deal with the devil.”
    That wasn’t funny.
    It was dumb.

44. mrmagoo says: Aug 24, 2009 7:57 PM

hayward giablommi says:
    August 24, 2009 5:07 PM
    _______________________
    I enjoyed your little autobiography there. That what those here in reality call projection.
    One thing you’d never want is for uselessness to become grounds for banning unless you already have a new site picked out to douche up.
    Can I say douche up now?

45. VoxVeritas says: Aug 24, 2009 8:00 PM

“Absent a comment rating, I think you should be told….that really really wasn’t funny on any level.”
    Wasn’t supposed to be.
    “It was dumb.”

46. 2brauneyz says: Aug 24, 2009 8:17 PM

Hey, nobody gets to call me a bitch except my husband, and that’s only when I deserve it. (Never happened yet…)
    Mike, how ’bout you let all the salty language slide and just ban the morons?
    Nah, that’d kill the site. Just do what you do, dude, cuz I’ll follow you no matter what.
    Go Pats! Eff you, haters!

47. TFBuckFutter says: Aug 24, 2009 8:41 PM

“VoxVeritas says:
    August 24, 2009 8:00 PM
    Obsessive too. Good to know.

48. Backinthesaddle says: Aug 24, 2009 8:44 PM

A policy born of corporate suits protecting corporate rumps.

49. HRVA DBAG says: Aug 24, 2009 8:56 PM

Crewfish’s Comment Turd Watch has some potential. I liked the site a little more before the move to NBC but you still have a good thing going. Plus you get to live the dream of quitting your day job to get rich blogging about Football and for that I am in awe and jealous as hell.
    You do what you have to do Florio. You tend to be good on the news breaks, the short posts are great, and the one liners come out right before I start my lunchtime.
    I wouldn’t wipe my backside with some of these comments, some of the folk commenting should be doing stand up.

50. Paul_R. says: Aug 24, 2009 8:58 PM

Backinthesaddle says: August 24, 2009 8:44 PM
    A policy born of corporate suits protecting corporate rumps.
    _________________________________
    Whatever it takes so that I don’t have to feel like I’ve been irreparably damaged by some of the posts I’ve seen. Really, it’s incredibly sad to see the things that some people have posted. I can’t help but feel badly about their future prospects for employment and for bringing children into this world.
    “The dumbing-down of America”
    Couldn’t be more true.

51. todd bennett says: Aug 24, 2009 9:07 PM

Did someone hurt your feeling FLOWERO? Your little girl. So you boot people off . Real tuff!

52. jimicos says: Aug 24, 2009 9:23 PM

Leave it to the guy with the initials MF to get a little sand in his pussy when anyone starts using coarse language.
    On a side note, I find it incredibly funny that you want to turn this site into your personal scrapbook with pics of Jr, but you don’t want any negative reaction to it. By all means, censor any undesirable reference to Jr.

53. todd bennett says: Aug 24, 2009 9:28 PM

Theo should be just thrilled with your tuff action~!

54. VoxVeritas says: Aug 24, 2009 9:39 PM

todd bennett = sixburghdude!

55. hayward giablommi says: Aug 24, 2009 9:42 PM

Quoth gameday:
    :So please be aware, and be prepared, I will continue to clown the Cheaters of the NFL, and I will continue to clown you AND each and everyone of your multiple personalities.”
    ^^^^^^^
    Perhaps that is part of your problem. While you fail time and time again to “clown” me and your hallucinations of other non existant personalities, the rest of us will be busy discussing football.

56. VoxVeritas says: Aug 24, 2009 9:43 PM

57. antneejay2 says: Aug 24, 2009 9:57 PM

Farve does all that?

58. Jackal138 says: Aug 24, 2009 9:59 PM

Vox Vaginas says:
    “Couldn’t be any dumber than not knowing that if a guy signals fair catch and doesn’t catch it whether the ball can be recovered by the kicking team or not.”
    To which I say:
    Don’t tear a ligament in your shoulder reaching for that comeback.

59. VoxVeritas says: Aug 24, 2009 10:10 PM

So you don’t know, either?

60. TFBuckFutter says: Aug 24, 2009 10:10 PM

“VoxVeritas says:
    August 24, 2009 9:43 PM
    Well gosh, how could anybody forget a question like that? It’s like asking what a center’s responsibilities are or the point of an onside kick. ”
    If you think I’m embarrassed by not knowing the specifics of the fair-catch rule, especially when I don’t recall seeing anyone call for a fair catch, not catch it, and have it not go in the end zone, I’m not. Which is why I asked.
    In fact, I think it’s logical that if you call for a fair catch to call off the defenders, and you don’t catch it, whether you touch it or not, it’s not unreasonable for the ball to be up for grabs.
    You, on the other hand, should be embarrassed by all your lame attempts at burning people. You remember something I said, and I honestly don’t remember anything you’ve ever said….which means it was forgettable, or just lame….Yet, despite never posting anything thought provoking OR funny….you still post more than anyone else on the site.
    So, yeah…..still sticking with “obsessive.” But don’t worry, sooner or later I’ll grow bored with this…..so you’ll be able to definitely have the last word.

61. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Aug 24, 2009 10:25 PM

Bring back the ratings system Florio. For two months now the warmth and intimacy has been non-grata from this comments section. It’s like being invited to an orgy but being forced to keep your clothes on and watch while sitting on a cheap plastic chair in a separate room behind a dirty plexi-glass window with the air conditioning turned down to 64 degrees. Make it a Labor Day gift to us all you bitch, I mean kind sir.

62. Gregg Rosenthal says: Aug 24, 2009 10:46 PM

SaintsBucs … The ratings system is on its way, just taking longer than we want.

63. VoxVeritas says: Aug 24, 2009 10:47 PM

Four paragraphs, and *I’M* obsessive?

64. jimicos says: Aug 24, 2009 10:51 PM

Gregg Rosenthal says:
    August 24, 2009 10:46 PM
    SaintsBucs … The ratings system is on its way, just taking longer than we want.
    —————————
    What’s the delay? Trying to add more g’s to “Gggggood”?

65. TFBuckFutter says: Aug 24, 2009 11:12 PM

“VoxVeritas says:
    August 24, 2009 10:47 PM
    Four paragraphs, and *I’M* obsessive?”
    Being stoned increases my attention span for the wildly inane.
    I’ve watched Howard the Duck, Saved by the Bell and Salute Your Shorts recently because of that…..
    You are, by comparison, a third as clever and interesting.

66. brian_21 says: Aug 25, 2009 3:12 AM

I’m back.
    My amazing posts shall continue y’all.

67. todd bennett says: Aug 25, 2009 8:33 AM

Welcome back!

68. Agent Michael Scarn says: Aug 25, 2009 9:29 AM

I’m pretty sure it used to say on wikipedia that Florio was a Steelers fan. Someone must have taken that off after he sent SixBurghDude on his way. Of course, wikipedia is always reliable

69. Agent Michael Scarn says: Aug 25, 2009 9:30 AM

70. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Aug 25, 2009 9:34 AM

Welcome back, sir!

71. RexRyan'sStressedLapband says: Aug 25, 2009 9:37 AM

TFBuckFutter says: August 24, 2009 11:12 PM
    Being stoned increases my attention span for the wildly inane.
    You are, by comparison, a third as clever and interesting.
    =====================================
    A Howard the Duck reference…awesome.
    For real though, be careful, cause Vox will call Homeland Security and report you as a terrorist for mentioning weed, because that’s what Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld said the terrorists do.

72. marcduke says: Aug 25, 2009 9:40 AM

Thank you jebus! It was turning into ESPN Message Boards part deux around here.

73. Kevin from Philly says: Aug 25, 2009 9:52 AM

Maybe Mike can start an “adults only” PFT. We could fart and curse and no one would complain. Hell, we wouldn’t even have to put up with the 12 year olds like Vox and IC Light Pounder.

74. jimicos says: Aug 25, 2009 1:02 PM

We aren’t allowed to fart? Damn, I’ve been doing it the whole time.

75. footballnut says: Aug 25, 2009 1:46 PM

Sounds like we need a lesson from Mr. Garrison on variations on cuss words to use…

76. StartTarvaris says: Aug 25, 2009 2:43 PM

77. Jackal138 says: Aug 25, 2009 2:57 PM

Yeah, TFBuckFutter,
    Don’t mention drug use to Vox, he’ll only retain it and use it against you months from now on a completely unrelated point, obscure enough that you actually have to sit back and think “what is this referring to? Oh, a post on the internet I made last year?”
    Also, unless you’re doing coke in hotels with hookers and stabbing your teammates in the neck with scissors, you’ll get no love from Vox for substance abuse.

78. footballnut says: Aug 25, 2009 3:11 PM

Here you go gentlemen, this should help you from being banned by the High Inquisitor Florio…

79. TFBuckFutter says: Aug 25, 2009 4:11 PM

Hey, I never said anything about ILLEGAL drug use. Some people use weed legally, and I could just as well be talking about the painkillers for my game leg.

80. todd bennett says: Aug 25, 2009 4:29 PM

?

81. RexRyan'sStressedLapband says: Aug 25, 2009 5:02 PM

Jackal138 says: August 25, 2009 2:57 PM
    ========================================
    In true Rush “Oxycontin” Limbaugh style, of course.

82. todd bennett says: Aug 25, 2009 5:38 PM

Its funny FlowerO how you pick and choose which one of my blogs you post. Your a funny guy. Dont want anyone to know how you kick someone off the site for having a different opinion of your writing skills or lack there of. NICE!