Woman charged with swindling NFL players

A woman whom Eagles quarterback Mike Vick claimed had mishandled his money has been charged by federal authorities with scamming eight NFL players.

Per the Associated Press, Mary Wong allegedly swindled the players to the tune of $8 million.

She allegedly sold phony investments in “luxury properties in Arizona, Tennessee and Michigan along with private jets and other investments.”  Money from new investors allegedly was used to pay off old investors, making the thing a Bernie Madoff-style Ponzi scheme.

Wong allegedly used the money she raised to finance a lavish lifestyle.

Vick sued in January the firm of Williams and Bullocks, owned by NFL players Demorrio Williams, Daniel Bullocks, and Josh Bullocks — and run by Mary Wong.  Vick allegedly turned to Wong for help as he was trying to raise $1 million that the federal government was seeking for the care and feeding of the dogs rescued from his rural Virginia property.

The criminal indictment against Wong identifies her victims only by their initials.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Legal, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
21 Responses to “Woman charged with swindling NFL players”
  1. scomibord says: Aug 25, 2009 7:24 AM

Go back to bed Mike.
    A woman whom Eagles quarterback Mike Vick claimed had mishandled his money has been charged by federal authorities with scamming either NFL players.
    Who else is she trying to scam??? You really need a proofreader!!!

2. wydok says: Aug 25, 2009 7:36 AM

What that woman did was Wong!

3. Deo et Patria says: Aug 25, 2009 7:37 AM

Sounds like someting Wong.

4. Fart Face Killa says: Aug 25, 2009 7:50 AM

5. Igottz5onit says: Aug 25, 2009 8:04 AM

Either NFL Players… or what?

6. Rossum20 says: Aug 25, 2009 8:11 AM

other

7. Florios_a_tool says: Aug 25, 2009 8:18 AM

Andrea McNulty’s mentor?

8. EYEisPOED says: Aug 25, 2009 8:27 AM

I always eat at her brother’s restaurant….his name is SUM-TING

9. Akron Rules says: Aug 25, 2009 8:31 AM

Wow, Fart Face Killa, can I hire you as an investment counselor? Obviously, you are the ultimate authority as to what is and is not a legitimate investment. I bet all those people who only made many millions from investing and leasing private jets wish they had listened to your well-reasoned advise.

10. Outfoxed says: Aug 25, 2009 8:40 AM

Tough crowd today Mike!!
    Ok, let’s get biblical with this one. Let he who has never misspelled a word cast the first stone.

11. Fart Face Killa says: Aug 25, 2009 8:42 AM

HEY!!!!!
    You didn’t post my post about you needing to fix this article!
    So I advise you to do it. NOW!

12. alewatcher says: Aug 25, 2009 8:46 AM

# Fart Face Killa says: August 25, 2009 7:50 AM
    ———————-
    But, we’re talking about NFL players here. You probably don’t hear the words “smart investor” and “NFL player” in the same sentence very often.

13. Outfoxed says: Aug 25, 2009 9:04 AM

Fart Face Killa says: August 25, 2009 7:50 AM
    “Also… since when is a private Jet an investment. Who invests money in jets. Stocks, real-estate, gold maybe, but air-planes???
    “Yea I just won 5 million dollars, I think I’m gonna invest it in a jet so 5 years from now I can sell it and make a profit” That doesn’t quite sound like something a smart investor would say.”
    Do you know what the going rate is for Jet rental with a pilot? If you did you would know it’s a very lucrative investment. It’s nothing for somebody to spend $25,000 to $50,000 on a spur-of-the-moment trip to get away. Money means nothing to these people.

14. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Aug 25, 2009 9:28 AM

Michael Vick often seems to make Wong decisions.

15. zygi milf says: Aug 25, 2009 9:31 AM

Outfoxed says:
    August 25, 2009 9:04 AM
    Fart Face Killa says: August 25, 2009 7:50 AM
    **************************
    Especially helpful when transporting dogs for the weekend dogfight.

16. empty13 says: Aug 25, 2009 9:56 AM

so now vick is a vick-tim?
    that sounds all wong.

17. footballrulz says: Aug 25, 2009 10:54 AM

Actually many people invest in jets. Ahnold (as in the governor of California) at one time, and maybe still does, owned a commercial jetliner that he leased back to one of the airlines. Actually a very good investment if you’re making/have millions. Not a very good investment though when you are getting Wonged.

18. Bigbluefan says: Aug 25, 2009 12:20 PM

‘So that acounts for 1 Mill what happened to the other 99?
    Vicks an assclown or as 85 would say child please

19. eagles123 says: Aug 25, 2009 1:22 PM

Hey scomibord maybe you should learn to read it says eight as in the number 8 lol

20. hayward giablommi says: Aug 25, 2009 1:35 PM

Why does something so Wong seem so right?
    Sucks for those other guys but I hope she got every dime out of Ron the Dog Drowner she could.

21. Bob Nelson says: Aug 25, 2009 2:19 PM

Ms. Wong certainly made a bad investment by loaning money to one of the criminal Vick brothers.