Jets beat writers aren't happy they got scooped on Sanchez

The folks who cover the New York Jets apparently are a sensitive bunch.  After kicker Jay Feely praised Peter King and Adam Schefter, some of them whined about it.

And now that Jay Glazer of FOX, who cut his teeth in the Big Apple and still has plenty of sources there, finagled the news that Mark Sanchez would be the starting quarterback of the Jets this year, they apparently have whined again.

Though they’ll likely now whine about the fact that I’m calling them whiners (rather than engaging in an objective assessment of whether their whining makes them look like whiners and whether they should think twice about continuing to whine), the transcript of Jets coach Rex Ryan’s press conference and the characterization of the two questions on the topic that prompted Ryan to basically apologize to the beat writers suggests that one or more of them were pissed off that the information wasn’t fed to them via baby bottle — and/or that a national guy who covers 31 other teams, too, scooped them.

Asked whether it was “appropriate” that the news was “leaked,” Ryan said, “That was interesting.  That’s unfortunate.  Obviously that’s something that I have a tough time dealing with.  When I found out about it, I’m sure most of you [beat writers] were contacted by [Senior Director of Media Relations] Bruce [Speight] almost immediately after when I was told of this. To me, if any information is going to be leaked, it’s going to be leaked to our beat writers who are here everyday.”

Next, someone asked whether Sanchez’s agents were responsible for leaking the information, which prompted us to shout at the computer screen upon reading the question, “Folks, you got scooped.  Let it go.”

This entire experience proves once again that, if you worry about doing your own job well instead of worrying about others who apparently are doing their jobs better, maybe you’ll do a better job, too.

UPDATE:  Several sources have told us that the questions were asked only by Dan Leberfeld of Jets Confidential, and that Leberfeld also grilled Sanchez about the leak later in the day.  “No other writer, before or after the news conference, mentioned Jay’s
story,” one source said. “There was no animosity in the press room; it stemmed from one
person — Leberfeld.”

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Jets beat writers aren't happy they got scooped on Sanchez”
  1. Darth Ringo says: Aug 26, 2009 10:26 PM

Can’t blame the beats for worrying, they’re probably hanging onto their jobs by a thread as it is.

2. Abe Froeman says: Aug 26, 2009 10:27 PM

um ok, calm down

3. cheesehead4 says: Aug 26, 2009 10:31 PM

Really? It prompted all of ‘us’ to shout the same thing at the same time? Getting increasingly friendly with the majestic plural, eh Florio?

4. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Aug 26, 2009 10:36 PM

“if you worry about doing your own job well instead of worrying about others who apparently are doing their jobs better, maybe you’ll do a better job, too.”
    Words of wisdom from resident slapdick Mike “Terry Bradshaw has died” Florio.

5. theReapercalls says: Aug 26, 2009 10:40 PM

pussies

6. gameday says: Aug 26, 2009 10:43 PM

“Though they’ll likely now whine about the fact that I’m calling them whiners (rather than engaging in an objective assessment of whether their whining makes them look like whiners and whether they should think twice about continuing to whine),”
    ****************************************
    Translation:
    Referring to Patriot fans’ responses to my comments that the Patriots are cheaters.
    I love to poke sticks at caged monkeys.

7. kayC says: Aug 26, 2009 10:44 PM

There’s not much shame in getting scooped by Jay Glazer. It’s what he does.

8. mad555 says: Aug 26, 2009 10:51 PM

wow, Florio, I didn’t know you were capable of being funny. This was funny and you don’t do funny very well. Nicely done, I have not laughed about any of the TMZ style garbage that you write and try to be witty or funny with it, but that doesn’t work for you. Did you actually ever read anything you wrote out loud? It’s pretty unfunny. I watch TMZ everyday and the way you try and go about your site is very similar.(In an unfunny way , of course.) But I do have to say that this was LOL funny.

9. Anrkist says: Aug 26, 2009 10:52 PM

So… should I draft a beat writer or what? Oh, I’m kidding, I’d never come here for fantasy advice.

10. Geshtahl says: Aug 26, 2009 10:58 PM

Curse you Florio! Your link took me to a twitter feed! I am unclean… UNCLEAN!!!

11. Alpheratz says: Aug 26, 2009 11:28 PM

There’s more sympathy for Michael Vick than there ever will be for members of the media.
    That tells us volumes.

12. Muck says: Aug 27, 2009 12:04 AM

Understandable.
    Leberfeld requires his formula be room temperature before he sucks it down. Maybe he wasn’t burped afterward?
    Seriously, what a baby. Jay Glazer scooped Roger Effing Goodell with that Spygate tape last year. He could fall out of bed and break the Jets’ QB news.

13. zeke777 says: Aug 27, 2009 1:03 AM

New York whining? You’re kidding me? The next thing you’ll tell me is Brett Favre is back and Michael Jackson is dead!

14. Jackal138 says: Aug 27, 2009 1:25 AM

“Folks, you got scooped. Let it go.”
    And what about you, Florio, refusing to walk back your wild accusations of Donovan McNabb not supporting the move to sign Vick, when in fact he lobbied for him to be signed?
    Then you write reports on how he’s spouting the company line, and really cares, and he blows that speculation out of the water.
    Folks, you mis-scooped in your constant effort to get the scoop. You should let it go – but in your last PFTV clip you still hinted at this (incorrect) line of thinking.
    I’ve got a scoop for you about glass houses.

15. realityonetwo says: Aug 27, 2009 6:11 AM

who cares…

16. Quagmire says: Aug 27, 2009 7:23 AM

Hello “Leberfeld”

17. BrenstonBuckner says: Aug 27, 2009 8:00 AM

On the scale of Who Gives A Turd-this is off the charts..

18. Outfoxed says: Aug 27, 2009 8:59 AM

What did you expect from the Jets fans? Evidence of intelligence? I think not!!!

19. Samuel L. Bronkowitz says: Aug 27, 2009 9:00 AM

Beat writers are soooooooooo 20th-century…

20. Bigbluefan says: Aug 27, 2009 9:13 AM

Its only the JETS and everyone knows they will once again stink up the swamp

21. Chad Pennington's Noodle Arm says: Aug 27, 2009 9:35 AM

It’s ok, it’s not like anyone outside of NYC or North Jersey cares about their opinions.

22. Danny N. says: Aug 27, 2009 9:36 AM

Mike, how is this any different than when you act like a little bitch when a credible news site doesn’t reference something they snagged from you (even though you regularly steal from them)?

23. Gary says: Aug 27, 2009 10:49 AM

Who cares?

24. savagenation says: Aug 27, 2009 12:04 PM

I always use that line when I go to Harrahs and I see a hottie working there. “Um …can you come up to my room and fix my television”? Sometimes they say no, sometimes u get laid, and sometimes……they fix your television.

25. tom coughlin's coat holder says: Aug 27, 2009 5:19 PM

media critics will tell you every time,the media is lazy.