Wells reminds Cardinals why they drafted him

Chris “Beanie” Wells has barely practiced since being drafted, staying in the news primarily because his nagging injuries and disappointing offseason provided a contrast to second-year back Tim Hightower, who has exceeded expectations in training camp.

On Friday night’s dress rehearsal for the regular season, Wells showed why he’s the back with a first-round pedigree.  As mentioned in Josh Alper’s one liners, Wells rushed for two scores and 46 yards on only seven carries in his pro debut.

Wells quickly turned the corner on his first run, an 11-yard carry that showed off his excellent speed for his size.  On the same drive against Green Bay’s starting defense, Wells showed outstanding footwork and vision to wriggle free for a 20-yard touchdown run.

It was the type of highlight run that Arizona backs haven’t made in recent years; getting more than just what was blocked.  Wells scored again in a short-yardage situation, showing patience as he waited for a hole to develop.

Wells says he isn’t 100% recovered from his ankle injury, but you wouldn’t know it.

“I have to get back out there Monday and get my timing right and get my
ankle better,” Wells said. “I felt like I didn’t have a lot of burst
tonight.”

If Wells can just stay on the field, he could be pretty scary when that “burst” is back.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
17 Responses to “Wells reminds Cardinals why they drafted him”
  1. Hap says: Aug 29, 2009 12:32 PM

The highlights of him says he’s stout. Now let’s see if he has staying power. He did a great job of waiting on his blocks.

2. Rob says: Aug 29, 2009 12:35 PM

Until he gets injured….

3. DocBG says: Aug 29, 2009 12:38 PM

don’t be too suprised here, he was only rushing against the GB starting defense. but good for him anyway. I’d hate to see what the best RB in the league is going to do against them twice this year.

4. ShimSham says: Aug 29, 2009 12:42 PM

He definitely displayed good vision last night.

5. cannonarm says: Aug 29, 2009 12:45 PM

Oh Beanie. I love your talent and hate your heart.

6. xgbx says: Aug 29, 2009 12:50 PM

“Wells reminds Cardinals why they drafted him”
    And with his next injury, he’ll remind them why he was still available when they picked.

7. tv says: Aug 29, 2009 12:57 PM

Ow, my knee, my knee!

8. csloan99 says: Aug 29, 2009 1:13 PM

Wells is a good RB, but he’s one of those guys who can never stay healthy and will frustrate the hell out of you. Look no further than his career at Ohio State. I would have never drafted him.

9. Banvard316 says: Aug 29, 2009 1:29 PM

He missed 3 games at OSU lol You guys crack my a$$ up….lol Hey look it was a positive article about the Cardinals by FloriJoke….oh wait he didn’t write it. NEVER MIND!

10. BDiddy says: Aug 29, 2009 1:48 PM

Beanie Wells missed 3 out of 36 games in his NCAA career due to injury. He was nicked up in a number of other games but he still ran for 100+ yards in 15 of the 21 games he started (and a few of those were games where he was on the bench by halftime with a huge lead).

11. jimicos says: Aug 29, 2009 2:18 PM

DocBG says:
    August 29, 2009 12:38 PM
    —————————-
    But the Packers don’t play the Falcons this year.

12. zangy says: Aug 29, 2009 2:52 PM

DocBG says:
    August 29, 2009 12:38 PM
    —————————————
    after GB had already forced three turnovers and dropped 24 points on AZ…i will agree with the article though, he looked really good.

13. RagnartheViking says: Aug 29, 2009 2:52 PM

its ok Doc.
    Jimi with an “i” is typical in this fashion.
    You see, Erin Rodgers is the best Qb in all the land because he’s had ONE good season.
    Hence Turners the best ever because of last year.
    You have to give him credit tho, I would have thought he’d say Grant was the best..
    You have to live in Wisconsin to understand fools of his ilk.
    The Packers are the best at everything. Even tho the Vikes were for games better, it was all luck, or the refs gave it to us, or a car was coming.
    It’s like arguing with a 4 year old.
    Look out world, the Packers are tearin it up in preseason! Big things to come!
    Erin looks fantastic, the Dis better than advertised!
    Too precious.
    Although Jordi did look good.
    And I do like Bradi Poppinga.
    Quit thinking with your dipstick Jimi, better yet, quit playing with it during the games.

14. Banvard316 says: Aug 29, 2009 3:24 PM

Yeah the Packers defense has been really good this preseason so far too. You cant go off of what happened last year the Packers d will be much improved this year. SOOOO Beanie running well against them makes it that much more impressive.

15. jimicos says: Aug 29, 2009 6:02 PM

RagnartheViking says:
    August 29, 2009 2:52 PM
    its ok Doc.
    Jimi with an “i” is typical in this fashion.
    Hence Turners the best ever because of last year.
    You have to live in Wisconsin to understand fools of his ilk.
    It’s like arguing with a 4 year old.
    Look out world, the Packers are tearin it up in preseason! Big things to come!
    Erin looks fantastic, the Dis better than advertised!
    Too precious.
    Although Jordi did look good.
    And I do like Bradi Poppinga.
    ————————–
    Don’t put words in my mouth, Rag. I’m not the type to say everything the Packers do is the best.
    And I’m just ripping on AP anyway. It’s hard to call a guy who’s shown he can’t get a handle on the ball, can’t block and comes out on third down “the best RB in the league”.

16. mborz says: Aug 29, 2009 6:12 PM

BDiddy said: “Help me understand why everyone assumes Wells is so fragile when the numbers paint such a different story.”
    I’m guessing it’s because he was out for the high-profile USC matchup and was also out in the second half of the Fiesta Bowl against Texas.
    Many people don’t see much else besides a team’s high profile games and base all of their opinions off of what they see in them (unfortunately).

17. thekidmd says: Aug 30, 2009 3:42 PM

Beanie is bigger than you think, faster than he looks and will be even better than anyone knows…..provided he can keep on the field.