Rex Ryan fears Mike Vick

The good thing about a coach who’s willing to talk big is that, when he then rolls out the Lou Holtz thufferin’ thuccotash thelf-deprecation, it’s real.

And so the comments of Jets coach Rex Ryan regarding his team’s upcoming game against the Eagles and quarterback Mike Vick are more significant than they otherwise would have been.

“To be honest with you, I can’t stand going against that guy,” Ryan said Monday.  “I don’t think he likes going against me either if you look at the history.  He’s going to do his thing.   We’re not going to come after him like we would be in the regular season, that’s understandable.   I hope he sits back there and plays quarterback and doesn’t run it all over us because of that. We’ll see.

“He’s an unbelievable talent,” Ryan added.  “He scares you. We’ve had many run-ins with him.  [I] played against him in Baltimore a couple of times.  Unfortunately, when he broke his leg it was in a preseason game against the Ravens.  That was a bad deal.  I couldn’t believe it.   The wind went right out of the sails of the Falcons.  It was awful.  He is just an amazing talent, so it will be fun chasing him around.  I can say that because I don’t have to chase him.  He’s going to play a lot I understand.   Andy [Reid] told me that.”

And Vick will indeed play a lot; Andy Reid told the rest of the world during his Monday radio show on WIP in Philly, hosted by Howard Eskin.  Kevin Kolb will get the start, and Vick will be disrupting his rhythm periodically in the first half.  Then, Vick will take over the offense to start the third quarter.

Maybe Reid will disrupt Vick’s rhythm by inserting Donovan McNabb into the game from time to time.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
38 Responses to “Rex Ryan fears Mike Vick”
  1. ero52 says: Sep 1, 2009 7:03 AM

Get some sleep. I’m in England and I’ve just woken up.

2. Justin4Eagles says: Sep 1, 2009 7:08 AM

your annoying florio… you disrupt my rhythm of reading of NFL news…
    “Kevin Kolb will get the start, and Vick will be disrupting his rhythm periodically in the first half.”
    you just want to build drama in philly when there is none… pathetic, get over yourself… did you even watch mcnabb’s press conference, or marty’s??

3. Rickah99 says: Sep 1, 2009 7:22 AM

This article bring to light, what exactly?? I’m telling you, folks, Florio is a closet Eagles fan!!

4. Tim says: Sep 1, 2009 7:25 AM

Rex then proceeded to clean his genitalia with his tounge and drag his ass across the floor to relieve the hemorrhoid…

5. Tim says: Sep 1, 2009 7:31 AM

Rex then proceeded to clean his genitalia with his tounge and drag his ass on the floor to relieve the hemorrhoid….

6. cliff says: Sep 1, 2009 8:15 AM

good story until you had to try an be funny with the disrupting the rhythm jokes

7. kennybania says: Sep 1, 2009 8:19 AM

geez, take it easy on holtz

8. dawk20db says: Sep 1, 2009 8:41 AM

HAHA, you sarcastic SOB.

9. Kevin from Philly says: Sep 1, 2009 8:54 AM

Just thought I’d interrupt Florio’s rythm:
    Pat White!!

10. hayward giablommi says: Sep 1, 2009 9:03 AM

“Rex Ryan fears Mike Vick”
    Not as much as dogs fear Mike Vick

11. gr8mick1 says: Sep 1, 2009 9:19 AM

its not Florios Fault, just look at the most commented list. The more he brings up the East the more fanboys like us read and comment. It just proves that the best fans in football are the NFC East. We love to read anything we can and we love to comment and get our sense in. That said can I have one day with out a vick shout out. At least this time he is starting controversy with Kolb. I still say bring back Detmer Akers hasnt kicked the same since he left

12. tian says: Sep 1, 2009 9:27 AM

Many people have said that they don’t want to play against Vick. That’s completely understandable.
    Personally, what I thought was interesting was that they said that they aren’t going to go after Vick- especially since that time when Vick broke his leg in a preseason game. That was kinda telling.
    I would like to see Vick stay in the pocket and play quarterback, too. What I am happy for him about being in Philly is that they are harping on him staying in the pocket and making good reads. In Atlanta it was “Make two reads and RUN!!!”

13. tv says: Sep 1, 2009 9:34 AM

I didn’t know that Rex had a dog!
    Maybe he named him Rex.

14. Bigbluefan says: Sep 1, 2009 9:40 AM

With a bit of luck maybe the jets can break vicks leg
    And we wont have that slim around anymore
    Of course it is the jets so I doubt it
    instead of a game 4 that no one on earth cares about how about Rex and Andy have a eating contest to see which is the bigger big
    Rex is a Ryan and we all know daddy was all bark and no bite

15. S.I. Patsfan says: Sep 1, 2009 9:45 AM

“He’s going to play a lot I understand. Andy [Reid] told me that.”
    Not that it’s some big state-secret or anything, but isn’t this kind of a lame, dick move? Whatever “Andy” told you, Rex, shut the Hell up. Don’t cause problems, major or minor, for a fellow coach.

16. CincyEagleFan says: Sep 1, 2009 9:52 AM

Don’t you love how one guy says Florio hates the Eagles, then 20 minutes later a guy says he loves the Eagles. Which means he’s doing something right lol.
    Justin4Eagles says:
    September 1, 2009 7:08 AM
    your annoying florio… you disrupt my rhythm of reading of NFL news…
    Rickah99 says:
    September 1, 2009 7:22 AM

17. Dewey Axewound says: Sep 1, 2009 10:06 AM

Philly will be a trainwreck this year.
    Everybody’s so high on this team–but they forget that the Eagles were all but done at mid-season last year, then they back-doored their way into the playoffs courtesy of a half-game advantage and the Bears choking in week 17.
    They are about one dead dog’s scrotal hair away from full and complete dysfunction:
    injuries, drama, McNabb’s fragile ego and fragile body and phony humility and racial persecution complex, insecure with Vick nipping at his heels; an intense, obnoxious, easily frustrated, and fickle fanbase, coupled with the pressure-cooker of intensity by a drooling, eager media seeking scandal and drama…(this supercedes the desire to see a black QB be successful).
    It’s only going to take a tad bit of adversity and this team is going down faster than a cheesesteak sucked into Big Red’s gaping maw.
    In the wake of the trainwreck (a mixed metaphor, I know), a trail of rotting mutilated dog corpses, a spurned, embittered (probably injured) McNabb, inevitably benched and/or seeking a trade, and an irate fanbase too dumb to realize their dalliance with the dog killer has only further cemented their team’s cursed fortunes, worse than the karmic kibosh they’ve already wrought upon themselves by selling out VETERAN’S Stadium to Lincoln Financial.
    (for shame!)
    Among a host of other sins, the football gods don’t like quick fixes.

18. dandrol says: Sep 1, 2009 10:22 AM

Say whatever you want…
    Between the periodic rhythm disruptions and the Lou Holtzin’…FUNNY STUFF FLORIO!
    Florio didn’t come up with this story, he just reports and pokes fun at it. I’m an Eagles fan too, but come on, funny is funny.

19. 10mm says: Sep 1, 2009 10:37 AM

Let Mike Vick play so that he can pay his monetary debt to society, about $20,000,000 worth.
    GO DALLAS COWBOYS!!

20. ASS-MAN says: Sep 1, 2009 10:41 AM

Dewey Axewound. Go swallow an axe, you used to be cool with the Eagles in prior posts, you even stuck up for me. What happened? Did the signing of Vick get your feathers all russled? What are you going to say if the Eagles turn this whole thing around for a Positive impact? Will this boil your blood? I feel bad for you to have such hatred in your soul. You need to go have a sit down with your mommy and tell her all about it.

21. Tiberime says: Sep 1, 2009 10:41 AM

How can anybody light a dog on fire and watch it wither in flames for fun?

22. ASS-MAN says: Sep 1, 2009 10:48 AM

Dewey Dewey Dewey, calm down you little girl.
    Your posts are always so full of Fury. You need to let out some steam, go find a punching bag or something. No one cares…
    Go Eagles!!!

23. ASS-MAN says: Sep 1, 2009 11:19 AM

“One of the most successful head coaches in recent NFL history, Andy Reid has really put his stamp on this city’s beloved football team. After taking over a 3-13 club on January 11, 1999, Reid has been simply masterful in turning the Eagles into one of the NFL’s elite teams.”
    – Mike Florio 2005
    What a fake piece of $H!+

24. REALPHAN says: Sep 1, 2009 12:10 PM

Where’s VOX??? I have clicked on TWO Eagles articles and NO VOX Comments…..c’mon! I was totally expecting some quote from another poster, followed by VOX’s hilarious burns…..I guess mom needed a walk today!!

25. UZH77 says: Sep 1, 2009 12:33 PM

I had to create an account just to post this:
    This site has the biggest number of mouth breathing commenters I have ever seen.
    1. If you don’t like Florio, then don’t read it. Although I’m sure he loves it since you give the site “hits.”
    2. He is not a closet Eagles fan (everyone knows he is a closet Steelers fan).
    3. Justin4Eagles says: September 1, 2009 7:08 AM
    your annoying florio… you disrupt my rhythm of reading of NFL news…
    You’re just another moronic Philly sports fan who can’t take a joke or criticism.

26. Jackal138 says: Sep 1, 2009 12:44 PM

# hayward giablommi says: September 1, 2009 9:03 AM
    “Rex Ryan fears Mike Vick”
    Not as much as dogs fear Mike Vick
    ——————
    Or as much as Tom Brady fears Bernard Pollard.

27. Jackal138 says: Sep 1, 2009 12:48 PM

# REALPHAN says: September 1, 2009 12:10 PM
    ——————
    School has started. Give him a break! His mommy won’t let him play hooky from class until October.

28. Jackal138 says: Sep 1, 2009 12:48 PM

UZH77 says: September 1, 2009 12:33 PM
    I had to create an account just to post this
    ————–
    Good, now go away and never come back.

29. hayward giablommi says: Sep 1, 2009 1:03 PM

Jackal138 says:
    Or as much as Tom Brady fears Bernard Pollard.
    ^^^^^
    About the amount of class I would expect from Jackal138.
    Coming from someone whose fellow fans cheered a career ending neck injury to Michael Irvin, booed and pelted Santa Claus with snowballs, beat a fellow Philly fan to death at a Phillies game last month and taunted Joe Jurevicious about his infant son’s death, that’s actually pretty tame.
    Come on Jackal, that’s the best you got?

30. Alpheratz says: Sep 1, 2009 1:51 PM

Doesn’t fear Belichick
    Fears Vick
    Gonna be a great Jets season

31. Kage10 says: Sep 1, 2009 2:36 PM

If you don’t like Florio’s writing, then don’t read it! You’re as bad as those fans that buy tickets to go in to games to hold up signs complaining at the players who took steroids. You don’t like it, get out. Your complaints get old…

32. Smush Rodrigez says: Sep 1, 2009 2:40 PM

Dewey Axewound says:
    September 1, 2009 10:06 AM
    WTF are you even talking about?

33. Smush Rodrigez says: Sep 1, 2009 2:49 PM

hayward giablommi says:
    September 1, 2009 1:03 PM
    Jackal138 says:
    Or as much as Tom Brady fears Bernard Pollard.
    ^^^^^
    About the amount of class I would expect from Jackal138.
    Come on Jackal, that’s the best you got?
    ******
    Your “facts” are old, tired, and just wrong.
    Micheal Irvin was an ignorant jerk who talked crap at Jerome Brown’s funeral and a lot of fans took that to heart. Disrespecting someone at a funeral is not as bad as cheering an injury. however, I was at that game and Deion jumping around like an idiot also contributed.
    Santa? Come on, they pulled some drunk out of the stands and it was a million years ago. Get over it.
    The Phillies thing was not at a Phillies game, it was at a bar after the game. Yeah, drunk people do stupid stuff in Philly – just like EVERY city.
    I honestly have not heard of the Joe Jurevicious thing. Care to provide a link?
    I have also been to the Patriots area and have seen some of the most ignorant racist things I have ever seen. Lets not generalize a whole area because of a couple of knuckleheads.

34. hayward giablommi says: Sep 1, 2009 3:29 PM

@ Smush:
    To be fair, I was intentionally reaching to poke fun at Jackal138. I live in Philly, have been to a dozen Phillies games this year and never had a bad experience (other than when the Sox come to town).
    With regard to Jurevicious, though, as you may recall his infant son was sick during the 2002-3 NFCCG, and had passed on by the time the Bucs opened the Linc 8 months later on MNF. I went when the Pats visited the following week, and overheard a “fan” nearby gleefully explaining about how Jurevicious was being taunted during pregame over his son’s death just months earlier.

35. Dewey Axewound says: Sep 1, 2009 3:39 PM

Smush Rodrigez says:
    September 1, 2009 2:40 PM
    Dewey Axewound says:
    September 1, 2009 10:06 AM
    WTF are you even talking about?
    ______________________________
    I thought I’ve told you once before:
    No playing on the internet until you’ve finished my lawn.
    Now get back to work.

36. Jackal138 says: Sep 1, 2009 3:56 PM

No, Smush, let him be.
    Boston has always been a bastion of racial tolerance, calm minds and educated people who follow the letter of the law.
    And the sports fans there have NEVER been violent, especially not in the wake of any Red Sox or Patriot win.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/football/nfl/specials/playoffs/2003/02/02/bc.fbn.superbowl.reax.ap/index.html — Patriots fans riot after SB win.
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/07072008/news/nationalnews/bat_snit_crazy_118830.htm — Red Sox fan bashes guy he mistakes for a Yankee fan with a baseball bat.

37. hayward giablommi says: Sep 1, 2009 5:12 PM

Sorry Jackal138, but nothing will ever top this awesomeness:

38. Smush Rodrigez says: Sep 2, 2009 10:00 AM

hayward giablommi says:
    September 1, 2009 5:12 PM
    Sorry Jackal138, but nothing will ever top this awesomeness:
    ****
    Why am I chuckling?
    As far as the Joe J. thing goes.. . One guy said something. So that article should say lobrow fan not fans…..