Four teams claimed O'Connell

Whenever the Patriots release a player, it’s rather easy to assume that one of Bill Belichick’s former charges in Kansas City, Denver, and Cleveland will be interested in the player.

In the case of New England’s 2008 third-round pick, quarterback Kevin O’Connell, that assumption would have largely been correct.

According to NFP’s Brad Biggs, four teams put in a waiver claim for O’Connell: Detroit, Denver, Cleveland, and the New York Jets.  (Romeo Crennel reportedly also tried to make a claim from his couch, but league rules wouldn’t allow it.)

Kansas City’s lack of interest isn’t a great sign for O’Connell: both decisions makers in charge of drafting him — Belichick and Scott Pioli — don’t want him.

The Broncos claim was expected, but Cleveland’s interest is good fodder for some shameless rumor mongering and speculation.  So here goes.

O’Connell would have been an interesting fit on a Browns team that already includes Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson, and Eric Mangini favorite Brett Ratliff.  In theory, the team has all the young developmental quarterbacks they need in Quinn and Ratliff.

The possible acquisition of O’Connell could have theoretically made it easier for the Browns to deal a quarterback, presumably Anderson.

Then again, maybe Mangini was just putting in a claim of a former Patriot out of habit.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
15 Responses to “Four teams claimed O'Connell”
  1. Drafty says: Sep 1, 2009 7:29 PM

Belichick could release a turd and McDips**t would kill himself trying to claim it.

2. Ralph Gre Nader says: Sep 1, 2009 7:31 PM

You write these stories as if you have faith that the Browns actually have a “PLAN.” At least you preface this nonsense with a rumor disclaimer. They have NO PLAN whatsoever(unless of course you count “Ehhh, why the hell not” as a plan.) I wouldnt trust any of these idiots to mow my lawn let alone run my football team. For Christ’s sake these baffoons would mow the lawn with the blades up and then charge me $65 admission plus $9 a beer just to watch my own grass grow higher while I drink my own beer.
    Weakness Ratings
    33 Raiders
    31 Browns
    30 Rams
    29 Broncos
    28 Lions

3. FireJerryJones says: Sep 1, 2009 7:37 PM

Mangina can’t help himself.
    McDaniels needs a QB.
    Shame on Ryan. He’s just following a longstanding J*E*T*S tradition of sloppy seconds.

4. Florios_a_tool says: Sep 1, 2009 7:41 PM

“…good fodder for some shameless rumor mongering and speculation…”
    ..without which, you’d be out of a job.

5. hayward giablommi says: Sep 1, 2009 8:27 PM

^^^^^
    Well at least this time it was a former Patriot and one not still under contract.

6. descendency says: Sep 1, 2009 8:34 PM

@hayward giablommi
    LOL.
    And O’Connell sucks, so you’d have to be pretty desperate to want him even as a backup…

7. 56lightsout56 says: Sep 1, 2009 8:42 PM

well if O’connell goes to the Lions, he’ll be used to losing being an ex Aztec

8. mark says: Sep 1, 2009 9:12 PM

# Ralph Gre Nader says: September 1, 2009 7:31 PM
    Weakness Ratings
    33 Raiders
    31 Browns
    30 Rams
    29 Broncos
    28 Lions
    Yeah, they are “baffoons” and “idiots”……but I bet they know that 32 comes after 31.

9. The Coop says: Sep 1, 2009 10:13 PM

Ralph, I’m surprised someone with your IQ can even afford a $65 ticket and $9 beer.

10. Ralph Gre Nader says: Sep 1, 2009 10:22 PM

mark says: September 1, 2009 9:12 PM
    Mark…. Some might say that the Raiders are so horrible theyre worse than last in the league. Hence leaving out number 32….
    Reading into your snide remark one would assume you have no sense of sarcasm or humor. But thats ok, Im sure youve understood jokes that dont involve chickens, bars, or the phrase “knock, knock.” Am I right? You cant be a complete stone faced loser, could you?
    If you need someone to explain all of my Raiduh jokes I suggest you pay Invaiduh the Raiduh Rapuh a visit. He might be able to shed some light on why I chose to rank the Raiduhs #33 in my FAKE 2009 Preseason Weakness ratings for my FAKE September issue of my FAKE NFL insider publication.
    Good luck in all your future, boring endeavors. (That was a FAKE gesture, in case you were wondering)

11. C.Bass says: Sep 1, 2009 10:45 PM

Who wouldn’t the browns claim off waivers? I think they have an automatic claim feature for the waiver wire, well, except for Oakland players.

12. Old-Timer says: Sep 2, 2009 12:08 AM

Here’s a quick note to all you Bronco Bashers. OK, I buy the fact that the kid-coach is having a rather poor start (this maybe an understated). Let’s give the new Broncos some time–2, 3 years before we run the kid out of town. Personally, like the fact that he/they got rid of Crybaby Cutler and I wish he would do the same with Baby Brandon. Sometimes you got to go back a couple steps to go forward. Atleast we have a good chanch of winning 4 games–KC=2 and The raiders=2. Four wins this year, 8 wins next year and 12 in year 3. Anything less than 4 and I’ll join you hitem-when-thier-down Bronco Bashers.

13. GeniusJoe says: Sep 2, 2009 9:47 AM

Still busting on Romeo?
    Leave the old ball coach alone. He can’t get up to defend himself. OK…he won’t get up…

14. rusH1023 says: Sep 2, 2009 11:50 AM

descendency:
    O’Connell sucks? I’d love to hear your (ignorant) reasoning as to why. Just because he didn’t fit in the Patriots system, doesn’t mean he wouldn’t shine somewhere else. By all accounts from the media, the only things he struggled with — in the Patriots system — was short-ball accuracy and typical rookie decisions.

15. World Champs Raiders 3 Chargers 0 says: Sep 5, 2009 2:17 AM

-McDonkles is the new “Boy Blunder” of the Broncos and the NFL.
    -Chiefs think Cassell and their horde of geriactric linebackers are gonna really be a factor? Come on now.
    -Chargers continue to underachieve with the “talent” they supposedly have. Good luck with your $90 million dollar QB and a RB who we all know is over the hill.
    -Raiders go 11-5 and win AFC West …….what it could happen.