Vikings-Texans one-liners

Vikings RB Adrian Peterson stole a good bit of thunder from QB Brett Favre by rushing for 117 yards, including a 75-yard touchdown scamper on the first play from scrimmage.

Said Vikings TE Visanthe Shiancoe, “There is a lot of promise here. We
still have a lot to work on. But from what we have seen as an offense,
Brett has done pretty well.”

The Vikings began to give some hints about how they’ll deploy WR Percy Harvin in their offense this season.

Vikings DE Jared Allen had a sack and a quarterback pressure while keeping an eye out for retribution for his hit on Texans QB Matt Schaub last season.

The Vikings offense didn’t turn the ball over for the third straight preseason game.

Texans QB Matt Schaub sprained his left ankle on a bootleg in the second quarter but said he’ll play the season opener “without a doubt.”

The Texans continued their preseason-long problems running the ball and stopping the run on Monday night.

Texans LB Xavier Adibi had a rough night, including missing a read on Peterson’s touchdown run and a roughing the passer penalty.

Texans DT Jeff Zgonina, whose chances at a roster spot improved with the trade of Travis Joihnson, had two sacks in the second half.

Texans coach Gary Kubiak expressed disappointment with QB Dan Orlovsky, particularly with the interception he threw in the red zone.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Vikings-Texans one-liners”
  1. imaginesuperbowlwin says: Sep 1, 2009 10:23 AM

AP for 75 yards…he really knows how to take advantage of a schism. You could have driven a truck through there.

2. ZombieRevolution says: Sep 1, 2009 10:31 AM

Nice to see Josh has taken to Florio’s #1 goal- hammer Favre no matter what he does. Favre a 40 year old QB, only second game with team and he does pretty well. What does Josh say “Vikings RB Adrian Peterson stole a good bit of thunder from QB Brett Favre…”. AP is a special talent, but don’t let that color your outlook.

3. Otis Taylor 89 says: Sep 1, 2009 10:48 AM

At least he didn’t run out of one….

4. purpleguy says: Sep 1, 2009 11:06 AM

Lord Favre was okay, not spectacular, just okay. What wasn’t okay was the lack of separation by the WRs, Greenway getting torched by the Houston TEs, and the weak interior O-line blitz and stunt pick-ups. Then again, the D-line, corners, TEs and RBs were pretty solid. What Favre was thinking on that block I do not know.

5. Dewey Axewound says: Sep 1, 2009 11:22 AM

Queens are lucky Rex had to sit this one out–he would’ve torn them a new schism.

6. SpartaChris says: Sep 1, 2009 12:17 PM

ZombieRevolution says:
    September 1, 2009 10:31 AM
    ========================================
    For starters, Brett didn’t do anything that neither Sage nor Tarvaris couldn’t have done. While he was efficient, there wasn’t anything special about his performance.
    Next, The Vikings are Peterson’s team. He’s the face of that franchise, and is the reason why the Vikings have had the success they’ve had in recent years.
    Finally, a 75 yard run for a TD on the very first play of the game doesn’t happen all too often. That alone warrants more attention than a QB who merely moved the ball down the field.

7. RagnartheViking says: Sep 1, 2009 12:26 PM

Dirty Sanchez(Dewey)
    I have to hand it to you, you’ve gone several posts without resorting to gay jokes. You must be so proud.
    Then you had to go and post this inane crap.
    I guess you’d know about getting a schism torn, your ” life partner” does that to you on a nightly basis.

8. db3300 says: Sep 1, 2009 12:34 PM

“Texans coach Gary Kubiak expressed disappointment with QB Dan Orlovsky…”
    He must have forgotten he was talking about Orlovsky. What in his past would lead Kubiak to believe he would be anything but a disappointment.

9. Qoojo says: Sep 1, 2009 12:44 PM

The AP headline was still, “Favre leads Vikings past Texans”. lol
    I swear Favre could get credit for winning by standing on the sideline with these jokes for writers.

10. SpartaChris says: Sep 1, 2009 12:47 PM

RagnartheViking says:
    September 1, 2009 12:26 PM
    Dirty Sanchez(Dewey)
    Then you had to go and post this inane crap.
    =======================================
    Pot, meet kettle.

11. RagnartheViking says: Sep 1, 2009 1:25 PM

Pick a side Sparta.
    Yes, it’s Petersons team. Then why do all you packer fans expect huge numbers out of Favre or compare his to Erin’s numbers?
    He isn’t supposed to do anything spectacular on a series by series basis.
    He is supposed to make Defensess game plan for him(based on past play) and when they present a look that is advantageous to the Vikes, take advantage of it. I have been saying all along, he just needs to be Elway and the end of his career.
    So, which is it? Do you want to rag on him for not being Spectacular, or do you want him to put up huge mumbers so you can rag on him for being lord favre and not being a good teammate.
    He can’t win with you jilted ex girlfreinds.
    Keep trotting out the old pot meet kettle bs too. You are too ignorant to come up with a more original reply
    Hammer meet nail………
    Do yourself a favor, stick to just reading the posts and not replying, you add nothing of substance. You only show up on Favre related threads to bash favre because he gave you and every other Packer fans 2 middle fingers.
    It’s old and it’s played out. We get it, you’re mad.
    We got it after the 1st 1,000 posts.
    Move on for god’s sake.

12. SpartaChris says: Sep 1, 2009 2:11 PM

@RetardtheViking-
    I understand reading and comprehension wasn’t exactly your strong suit in school, and I suppose I could type slower so you could understand me, but it would just be a waste. So let’s just say you crack me up, with your trying to be all funny and intelligent like. And your hypocrisy- You know, where you call out other people for doing things, only to do them yourself. But that’s typical for Vikings knobs.
    But I digress. I challenge you to find one single post where I’ve spent any time at all bashing Brett. Just one. Provide me with a link to the post and I’ll man up and eat my crow. Otherwise, how about you heed your own advice and move on, huh?

13. Tabemaju says: Sep 1, 2009 2:39 PM

Sparta,
    I’m not sure how you’re post is supposed to be bashing on anything, but I applaud your attempt. Nobody is questioning whether this is Peterson’s team, but a QB who is consistent is a key to success for any running back.
    You give way too much credit to Jackson, and I think Sage needs another year in the offense before he’s viable. Favre did EXACTLY what I, as a Vikings fan, wanted him to do. It’s what I wanted from ANY QB of the past few years, but Jackson and Frerotte proved that they weren’t capable of it. I’m certainly now bowing before Favre, I’m only defending the fact that he’s better than what we have, right now. The routine passes he made last night are the passes that Jackson has trouble with.
    I’m actually starting to agree with the Ragnar theory of many posters here having a hard-on for their ex-QB.

14. RagnartheViking says: Sep 1, 2009 2:49 PM

Sparta, Where does it say I have to be rational while posting?
    You know you’ve said things about Favre, i haven’t the time or desire to prove to you what you know you have said already.
    When I first got on here, I tied to be rational and have “intelligent conversations, I didn’t know it was a free for all, so now, i just have fun with it.
    Hey, at least i crack you up, right?

15. SpartaChris says: Sep 1, 2009 3:34 PM

Tabemaju says:
    September 1, 2009 2:39 PM
    Sparta,
    =====================================
    No argument from me that Favre was effective and efficient last night, as he should be. This guy has played in this offense for his entire career, so he’s already got a huge part of what would be a normal learning curve for QB’s down. The relationship and timing needs work, but that’s to be expected when you start playing with new guys.
    FWIW, I was on record as telling folks not to read too much into his first performance, because you can’t expect a guy to be a superstar after spending what amounted to 10 minutes in training camp with his team before he took the field.
    As for why so many of us Packer fans have a hard on for the guy, it’s because he did a douche bag thing by joining the Vikings. If it was honestly about him wanting to play again, he would have stayed in NY. But no, he wanted to be a Viking all along, and for what? To get petty vengeance when we needed a decision and he couldn’t be bothered to commit? He even said last season when he was going to be traded that he wanted to “Stick it to the Packers” by joining the Vikings. So yeah, we’re naturally pissed at the guy, and many of us are really hoping he fails.
    Put another way, how would you feel of Adrian Peterson decided he wanted to “Stick it to the Vikings” and went out of his way to become a Packer? You wouldn’t exactly be thrilled with having the face of your franchise join your most hated rival.
    That’s why Packer fans are pissed at Brett. Yeah, we all know Vince Lombardi went and coached for the Redskins, but that’s not an equivalent comparison. An equivalent comparison was when Brett played for the Jets last season. We were sad to see Brett go, but we accepted it and many of us cheered for him. Likewise, if Vince Lombardi had gone to the Vikings or Bears, there would have been outrage.

16. RagnartheViking says: Sep 1, 2009 4:02 PM

Thats what free angency does to sports.
    The Jets didn’t have to release him, they CHOSE too.
    Maybe they wanted him for only 1 year? maybe they had an agreement?
    By your own account, your new QB is better, so why all the fuss?
    Peterson winds up with the Pack? Oh well.
    Stuff like this will continue to happen as long as there is FA.
    I feel your pain, but, you have ALL let everyone know how you feel REPEATEDLY.
    We know your pissed, we get it.
    They closed the door on Favre, not the other way around. It was badly handled on both sides, but I distinctly remmeber MM saying the train has left the station.
    Be mad at them not us for getting Favre.

17. Tabemaju says: Sep 1, 2009 5:07 PM

But you could also make the argument that Brett felt pushed out of Green Bay in the first place. You can blame both Minnesota and Green Bay for Favre ending up as a Viking. If Minnesota hadn’t shown obvious interest in Favre, he wouldn’t have bothered, but it was clear that Minnesota was the only team truly interested (in a “this could make or break us” way). On top of that, why not stick it to the guy who you felt pushed you out of Green Bay? Whether or not that feeling is justified is a whole topic in itself, but in a game built around competition, what can you expect?
    You have to remember that we live in a time where fans create rivalries, not players. I doubt Favre sees the impact that his relocation has on the fans, or the rivalry in general. It’s apparent though, that this does impact Green Bay fans, just as it does many Viking fans that didn’t want Favre in purple. But instead of ignoring the situation, you guys can’t seem to shut up about it, all while pretending you don’t care (“We’ll never forget you, Brent”), when it’s awkwardly apparent that you do. So, like Ragnar said, perhaps it’d be better on your rivalry image if you’d just drop the whole thing, because it’s going from “quite comical” to “rather sad” very quickly.
    Of course you want him to fail, just like we want him to succeed.

18. Dewey Axewound says: Sep 1, 2009 5:59 PM

I can’t believe the audacity of Vikings fans to give Pack fans sh1t for being mad about Favre.
    If anything, I think Mini-scrota fans should be EMBARRASSED that they so quickly and so desperately and so willingly sold out on any shred of dignity they had–sold out on the entire IDENTITY of their franchise, and immediately embraced what was *supposed* to be their most hated rival.
    (Sure–there are a couple of you with some actual dignity, who despise Childo and the organization for what they’ve done, and are basically boycotting the season…but the rest of you have dropped to your knees faster than a truck-stop wh0re for an Elvis impersonator…)
    Which reminds me…
    Fagnerd,
    Why do you always zero in on anything even REMOTELY homo-erotic?
    They’re just JOKES, dumbass–guys busting each other’s chops the way guys usually do.
    You seem to be the one fixated on it.
    Please leave it alone—it makes me uncomfortable, and it’s creepy. Go “troll” somewhere else, since you seem to be trolling for something a little more than just football debate and put-downs.
    Also, I’m glad you appreciated/stole my whole “jilted ex-girlfriends” line which I KNOW you’ve read and re-read in my references to Denver fans, but it really doesn’t apply here.
    (Imitation is the highest form of flattery, right?)
    But GB got rid of Favre–Favre didn’t want out.
    Point is: Minnesota has fallen so far…not even recounting all the scandals and failures, just consider:
    First, they move to a Dome. (shame)
    Then they take two Bears re-tread WRs. (ugh–even the Bears wouldn’t keep them).
    Then they WAY overpay for an old, washed up, over-rated, mediocre at best franchise RIVAL.
    And the fans swallow every dumb move hook, line, and sinker, and continue to buy into the hype.
    And stop assuming every one that thinks your organization/fan base is stupid and has sold-out and is delusional has a Packer-centric agenda—some of us just naturally see things for what they really are:
    You guys are a pitiful franchise. (Favre be damned)
    In recent years, you’ve shown no character, no identity, no dignity or integrity, nothing to be proud of, no scruples, and no real success.
    And yet you’re among the loudest and most obnxious and braggadocious of ALL fanbases—that’s why people give y you sh1t.
    Not because anyone’s jealous of your washed up old attention-wh0re pill-head.

19. jimicos says: Sep 1, 2009 6:13 PM

RagnartheViking says:
    September 1, 2009 4:02 PM
    Thats what free angency does to sports.
    The Jets didn’t have to release him, they CHOSE too.
    Maybe they wanted him for only 1 year? maybe they had an agreement?
    By your own account, your new QB is better, so why all the fuss?
    Peterson winds up with the Pack? Oh well.
    Stuff like this will continue to happen as long as there is FA.
    I feel your pain, but, you have ALL let everyone know how you feel REPEATEDLY.
    We know your pissed, we get it.
    Be mad at them not us for getting Favre.
    —————————
    Revisionist history. Yes, Thompson could’ve bent over and welcomed Favre back with open arms.
    But it would send two messages:
    – To Aaron Rodgers it says, “We don’t give two shits about you. We’re giving the job back to him. Have a good career.” There’s no doubt in my mind Rodgers would’ve bolted at his first opportunity after being stabbed in the back like that.
    – To the rest of the team is says, “You all need to be here for the offseason. You all need to let us know what your plans are regarding retirement. He doesn’t.” Again to Thompson’s credit, he stuck to his guns and treated Favre like a TEAMMATE, not like a diva.
    Favre closed the door when he retired. Then he opened it again in March, only to slam the door shut again when Thompson was getting ready to come down and see him.
    Favre retired. Favre decided not to unretire in March. Favre waited until July to decide to come back. Favre threw the team under the bus. Favre went on TV airing his grievances (with Greta Van Susteren no less). Seriously, Greta? Don’t want the hardball questions, Brett? Can’t handle a real sports reporter?
    Favre made his bed and was none too happy when he found Rodgers sleeping in it. And then he has the gall to blame the Packers for the situation. They drafted TWO quarterbacks, Brett! You expect them to dump a newly drafted QB because you changed your mind in July?
    My problem with Favre is that he thinks he’s still owed something by Green Bay. He won one Super Bowl with the #1 offense and the #1 defense in the league. He was a great player and a great teammate, but that was years ago. In recent memory he’s been nothing more than average as a QB and a crummy teammate. Green Bay made him one of the wealthiest players in the league and the fans loved him. He messed all that up with his wishy-washy BS and backstabbing in the media. Blaming anyone other than himself is just plain stoopid.
    The comparison with Peterson is not really complete. He’s had two years with the Vikings and he hasn’t won a playoff game yet. Let him win a Super Bowl, stick with the Vikings another 6-8 years, become the face of the league and then piss his way out of town, decide to play for Green Bay and be pissed at Minnesota for the whole thing. There’s a more accurate comparison.

20. Beer Cheese Soup says: Sep 1, 2009 11:11 PM

Wow, jimi. That’s a lot of post. You put big words in that too. Remember these are Viking fans you’re talking to, be a little more concise and dumb it down a bit if you expect them to read it.

21. RagnartheViking says: Sep 2, 2009 8:30 AM

I see your point Jimi, I just dont agree with it.
    I think they pressured him to decide to soon after the season. If it was for the draft, they could have had 2 sets of plans. In hindsight, after this year, it could be that they were right to do it that way.
    My point is, there has nver been anything like this that has happened before. A player playing at a high level having to decide. I know players like namath and unitas changed teams, but everyone knew they were not what they once were. So, perhaps, there was no right way to handle this?
    As for Peterson playing 7-9 years then going to GB and/or Chi, at that age, his best years are behind him and he most likey would not add much to said team.
    Dewey: Maybe where you come from everything is laced with homo-innuendo. More power to you and your “freinds”.
    A true fan doesn’t “boycott” the season because of 1 player. I’m a fan of the TEAM.
    For all the crap Chilly gets, they have gone 6-10,8-8,10-6…all with virtually nothing at QB.
    I’m not a huge fan of Favre, but, he is better than what has been there, in the era of free agency, you can’t hate players, you have to hate teams.
    Because next year, one of those players could be on your team.
    As for “stealing” you ex girlfriend line, don’t flatter yourself, that has been on the web, long before I started posting on here. Where’d you steal it from?
    Beer cheese, you are so intelligence stunted you have nothing to add but complimenting someone elses posts because you have nothing of relevance to add?

22. Trench says: Sep 2, 2009 9:46 AM

2 shiny pennies from my pocket:
    other then the 75 yard run to start the game, the Vikings offense looked like its usual anemic self. running on every first and 2nd down, throwing short passes to the Tight End and running back…. and then, all of a sudden, It was Favre’s turn to run the offense.(about 3 min. left in the first half) It was amazing, (let me remind you my fascination with watching every Vikings game forever) I saw deep passes, I saw guyz going over the middle(wide receivers even), and I saw consecutive pass plays. It’s like watching a different Vikings team. What did that all lead to? a T.D.
    If there is one thing that I can say about Favre and why I might enjoy having him as the QB of my beloved team this year…. he sure as H-E-double-hockey-sticks pick plays better then Chilly Dog can.
    AP is the man, but Favre could just make the difference.

23. jimicos says: Sep 2, 2009 11:13 AM

They made him decide too soon? Let’s lay out the facts here.
    March 4: Favre officially announced his retirement.
    Late March: Favre reconsidered, then decided to remain retired. I don’t have the exact date.
    April 28-29: The 2007 NFL Draft was held. Packers drafted Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn.
    July 2: It’s reported that Favre is in contact with the Packers about a return to the team.
    July 11: Favre formally requests an unconditional release.
    July 14: Favre does a hard-hitting interview (sarcasm) with Greta. In the interview, Favre blames the Packers for making him decide before the draft. He makes it clear that he will not come back to the team as a backup.
    Yeah, I guess they should’ve just gone forward with Aaron Rodgers and no real backup for several months. That would’ve been smart.
    Favre made this bed. He made all the decisions that led to his current situation (and his 2008 situation). He has NO ONE to blame but himself. Maybe it’ll work out great for him. Maybe he’ll bring Minnesota that long-awaited Lombardi trophy. Maybe he’ll ride into the sunset like Elway (albeit on a different horse).
    But I don’t think so. Favre has shown that he only plays within the system when he buys into it and when roles are clearly established. He walked all over Sherman and Rhodes. There was no accountability. McCarthy and Holmgren demanded more, and he had good seasons (and the team was successful) under them. I’ve seen nothing so far to expect that Childress has establish those clear roles and responsibilities. Childress picked him up at the airport, waited until halfway through the preseason to allow Favre to join (after declaring that the Favre issue was dead), he’s on the hot seat and thus will be forced to stick with Favre through thick and thin, etc, etc. I don’t think this ends well for the Vikings.
    Yeah, the comparison with Peterson is difficult to make work. Running backs generally begin to break down before QBs. But my point is that saying Peterson leaving for the Packers right now would be devastating to a lot of Vikings fans, but doesn’t begin to compare with an icon who’s been with the team 16 years.

24. Beer Cheese Soup says: Sep 2, 2009 1:42 PM

RagnartheViking says: September 2, 2009 8:30 AM
    ____________________
    I give credit where it’s due.
    You haven’t had “anything of relevance” to say since setting up your account on this site, which I am still amazed you managed to even figure out how to do.
    You keep spouting the same homerisms and homophobic insults day after day. You even admit to all the flaws in your arguments and your constant propensity to contradict yourself, and despite all that.. You call me intelligence stunted?!!
    Bear and Packer fans, true archrivals, are now doing something together for the first time in history: Laughing like hell at your sorry ass, your loudmouthed yet disloyal fan base, your bald, brainless coach, and your flaming purple joke of a team that is suddenly a dynasty in your minds based on one piss-poor playoff appearance!!
    And yet, YOU question OUR intelligence. Wow. Just wow. I can’t say much more than that.

25. RagnartheViking says: Sep 2, 2009 1:58 PM

And , you guys do not do the same thing?
    wow, just wow.
    Terrific post beer, I give it 5 stars, you just castigated me, then proceeded to do the same thing.
    Nice.
    You are irrelevant to this site, much like you are to life in general. You should give both of them up.
    Just a thought

26. jimicos says: Sep 3, 2009 10:34 AM

So Rag, with the timeline clearly posted here for all to see, do you still think the Packers pressured Favre too early to make a decision? Will you be begging the Vikings to allow Favre 5 months to make up his mind next offseason?
    More than likely Childress will be out of a job and the next coach won’t want a damn thing to do with Favre (like the Jets).

27. J.Cannon says: Sep 4, 2009 12:21 AM

Ragnartheviking I got your back brother but dont even bother reading the bullsht that clowns like Boobs Nelson, Demeinmyass wound, Queer Cheese, and TIM-Maycos post. You allready know how it’s going to go. A Viking’s post comes up and they come on and spout what ever negative crap they can think of. You and I know that if we went on every Packers/ Bears realted post on PFT and spouted off about how much we hated those teams it would 1) not even be fun being on the sight 2) would take way too much time and effort 3) make it impossible to ever engage in a meaningful football conversation that didn’t result in a fight. Now that I think of it number 2 is a bad reason because you could combine the number of Bears and Packers posts on this sight and wouldnt even come close to the number of Vikings posts. Damn I love this sight!! P.S. all the Vikings haters on here only inspire me to become a more staunch supporter of team. Thank you. : )