Decision on Vick expected by Saturday

If the Eagles were hoping to know Michael Vick’s status before dealing A.J. Feeley, they reportedly won’t have to wait long.

ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio reports that the Eagles expect NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to issue a ruling on Michael Vick’s possible reinstatement from the league by Saturday’s mandatory cutdown to a 53-man roster.

Goodell and Vick will meet “soon.”  The two have reportedly been speaking on a weekly basis.

There hasn’t been much speculation about how quickly Vick will be reinstated, but many prominent voices around the league initially hinted that they wouldn’t be surprised if Vick is eligible to play Week One if the preseason goes well.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Decision on Vick expected by Saturday”
  1. VoxVeritas says: Sep 2, 2009 5:55 PM

Please reinstate Michael Vick now!

2. LiveNBreatheFootball says: Sep 2, 2009 5:55 PM

So basically, Vick gets his FOUR game suspension reduced to nothing because he stayed out of trouble for ONE month. All based on what Vick said to Goodell. Because Vick has absolutely no history of lying.
    Way to enable that “Rules are for other people” attitude that Vick has — and will always have.

3. EskinSux says: Sep 2, 2009 5:59 PM

Yes……..He’s hasn’t had a drink, or been to bankruptcy court in 7 entire days….Can Sainthood be far away?……..By all means,talk about toeing the line, reinstate him, NOW…..lol……sell some jersey’s and those classic “that’s my Dawg” t shirts with his picture on them i saw at the linc……..

4. jtigrrrr says: Sep 2, 2009 6:08 PM

Boycott the Eagles and their sponsors. Take a stand.

5. Marc F says: Sep 2, 2009 6:09 PM

excellent news. This way both the Eagles and Patriots, two top teams continually for the last 10 yrs, can wrap up their rosters. I wonder if Bob Kraft and Jeff Lurie had any phone calls to the commish..?
    oh and “Aside from some spare comments and gestures from Donovan McNabb, Vick’s month has gone by about as quietly as could have been expected.”
    What’d you expect, Vick to be raiding the local dog pound for some new Pit bulls?
    which btw, i love all the dogma that he killed puppies… that one gets me… puppies.. have you ever seen a pit bull bearing down on you? they don’t look cute and cuddly… still killign is/was wrong. no boudbt..

6. famucancer says: Sep 2, 2009 6:29 PM

LOL….let the haters hate and watch the money pile up…LOL
    and what’s the punchline to that “boycott the eagles and their sponsors” joke there, jtigrrr?? LOL!

7. Alpheratz says: Sep 2, 2009 6:29 PM

It would be great if, at the last minute, Goodell said to Vick, “sorry, I lied”.

8. Hap says: Sep 2, 2009 6:29 PM

Dewey, tell us how you really feel.
    The Eag’s are despicable. Lugie must be buying into all the hype that Philly is a SB contender. I can assume that he was brought there as insurance , in case Kolb and McBabby go down.

9. jtigrrrr says: Sep 2, 2009 7:02 PM

hey famucancer ,
    Heres the punchline:
    The Philadelphia Eagles have chosen to sign a man who hanged dogs from trees, electrocuted them with jumper cables, held them underwater until they drowned in his swimming pool, and even threw his own family dogs into the fighting pit to be torn to shreds while he laughed.
    Its sad that you joke about the abuse of life.

10. poiuyt says: Sep 2, 2009 7:21 PM

It sickens me that the NFL is pushing so hard to get this psychopath back into the league. Roger Goddell has feigned a little outrage, but he can’t be stupid enough to believe that Vick is remorseful. The almighty dollar has reigned supreme (as it usually does).

11. jaws44mag says: Sep 2, 2009 7:38 PM

hey jackal, even if dewey is a racist, does your comments justify what vick did as being ok? He’s a murderer, and a thug, anyway you slice it!! And because you classify the area as the ghetto, I think that makes you more of a racist than anybody. By the way, can they even spell the word “rationalize” in the ghetto? Would you know that answer? I guess they can !!
    Chump

12. BigBadBear says: Sep 2, 2009 8:43 PM

Sign a petition and send to Jeff Lurie asking for a match of Vick’s salary be used as a charitable donation.

13. EskinSux says: Sep 2, 2009 8:47 PM

Who the hell goes in the ghetto anyway, unless they are lost…….I doubt i’d find Vick or McNabb in the ghetto…….This is a ridiculous argument……..

14. famucancer says: Sep 2, 2009 9:17 PM

BigBadBear…go back to the petaphile sites with that crap. LOL….isn’t it obvious that the only “outrage” is VIRTUAL. It only exists in cyberspace, not in reality! LOL.

15. Smush Rodrigez says: Sep 2, 2009 9:29 PM

Lotta racism on this site: Dewey and 10mm. Just because someone hung out with a rapper does not mean anything. Not all rappers are bad – maybe just different from you. In fact most of the guys you root for are different than you.
    If a player hangs out with a country misic star, does that make him a redneck and a racist?
    Grow up 10mm, get into this century. People are not equal but that is based on intelligence – not skin color. So that means you area lower life form based on your ignorant comments.

16. meezle says: Sep 2, 2009 9:45 PM

10mm, a black man alone is a coward?
    Seriously?
    I give you a week before so say something even more foolish to get u a lifetime ban

17. redsquare says: Sep 2, 2009 9:51 PM

This all has the smell of yet another performance–a fake show of evaluating anything. Goodell’s shown he has no soul, and just cares about the bottom line. His judgments are selective, and this will be yet another in the line of softballs Vick as been tossed since getting out.
    So, Eagles fans, enjoy cheering for a sadistic dog torturer, and enjoy explaining to your kids why that’s okay.

18. Alpheratz says: Sep 2, 2009 10:22 PM

I’d say the thread is going rather well.
    Don’t you think?

19. pubicreign says: Sep 2, 2009 10:34 PM

Seriously, i saw this coming a mile away. Did you really think he was going to serve a complete 6 weeks?? Dont act surprised. Breed the hate, us eagles fan love it……..VICK!

20. calvinjbrodus says: Sep 2, 2009 10:36 PM

vick was a top ten qb before he went away
    he did a year and a half in federal prison
    it was a smart business decision; in two years all this will be forgotten and if mcnabb is healthy… and a playoff conteder philly deals him for any top tier position player in the league.

21. Doughboy says: Sep 2, 2009 10:50 PM

Hate the game not the player! Put your self in his shoes…..If you did something wrong that effected the way you make a livin then you would do whatever it takes to restore your income! He is only doing what they will allow him to do!

22. Poopdollar says: Sep 2, 2009 11:46 PM

correction calvinjbrodus- Vick was a top 10 RB not QB. When you run for 1,000 yds in a season and your completion rate is 55% you are not a top 10 QB in the NFL. Vick on the Eagles adds another dimension to this team – you have no clue what role he is going to play, same goes for D coordinators. Which is the point – they don’t want you to know. Same as they didnt want you to know that they actually were interested in him from the start when they said they weren’t. Its all a chess game and none of your dopes realize this.
    FYI jaws44mag: He didn’t murder anything.
    murder is ‘the unlawful killing of another human being with intent’
    he killed dogs and had dogs kill dogs. Big difference. Tons of NFL players that you probably root for also took part in this. I am not saying its right – but unless you have lived this lifestyle – you can’t say sh*t about it.
    If the animal rights groups around here are working with him to reform himself and speak to younger kids about this situation to make a difference – this actually makes him more proactive than you. I didnt see one person on here ever make an attempt to help these groups out before the whole Vick situation even came up. YOU ARE ALL FRAUDS.

23. southernboi727 says: Sep 2, 2009 11:46 PM

Yea. Back in week 1. Awesome!

24. EskinSux says: Sep 3, 2009 12:03 AM

Dont act surprised. Breed the hate, us eagles fan love it……..VICK!
    —————————————–
    Speak for yourself……Jackass

25. Jackal138 says: Sep 3, 2009 1:01 AM

Thank you, PFT, for taking Dewey Axewounds racist comments down from this site, and all relevant responses.
    I love the trash talk and the badmouthing, but that mess just doesn’t have a place here.
    As for the rest of this thread, Vick is coming back regardless of if you like him or not. Love him, hate him, or fear him, you’re talking about him. And the coaches on your team are worried about him.

26. jaden says: Sep 3, 2009 9:06 AM

jaws44mag says:
    September 2, 2009 7:38 PM
    Chump
    ***
    Quite the stretch there, with the “murderer” tag. By that logic, every man woman and child who’s gone on a successful hunting trip is a “murderer” as well. Save the argument, I live in Kansas, and I’m well aware that the majority of hunters aren’t out there with high powered rifles trying to feed their families. They do it for the sport of it.
    If you’ve ever been hunting, or had a friend who’s been hunting, and you don’t treat them the same way that you’re treating Mike Vick, you’re a hypocrite. I don’t see a rifle shot from 100 yards as any less cruel than killing the animals with your bare hands.

27. Dewey Axewound says: Sep 3, 2009 10:53 AM

Jackal138 says:
    September 3, 2009 1:01 AM
    _________________________________
    There was not a single racist thing about what I said–I merely quoted Vick as he spoke.
    Please tell me: what’s wrong with pointing out the disparity of someone who is *supposed to be* purporting a squeaky clean image, when they act like self-promoting thug?
    Jackal,
    I love the irony that you would attempt to brandish me as a racist, then make the most derogatory, sweeping generalization about what would happen to me if I “went into a ghetto after dark” and such nonsense.
    It’s statements like THAT that perpetuate neagtive steretypes and feed into bigotry and bias.
    Besides, what in the hell makes you think I don’t ALREADY live in a lower income urban neighborhood?
    So spare me your phony PC outrage and your hypocritical lectures–it’s intolerance and snap-judgments and fake self-righteouesness such as YOURS that makes this world a worse place for all us.
    Vick’s reinstatement is a miscarriage of justice. Plain & simple.
    And I reserve the right to point out any and all evidence that shows exatcly WHY he hasn’t changed one iota from his criminal days.

28. Jackal138 says: Sep 3, 2009 12:28 PM

So I can get away with saying any racial epithet, as long as I’m quoting someone, huh?
    I guess David Dukes and the KKK just need to put air quotes around everything they say. That way, they’re just quoting Ludacris!

29. Jackal138 says: Sep 3, 2009 12:32 PM

I agree with some of your sentiments about Vick, Dewey.
    I don’t think you’re a racist, since this is the first I’ve heard you pop off like that. I just think you got hot and said some things you weren’t thinking clearly about.
    No harm, no foul. Just spare me the talk of “fake self-righteousness” when you say the things you say about Vick, and keep the racial language out of the conversation please.

30. jaws44mag says: Sep 3, 2009 12:41 PM

hey jaden, i agree with you 100 percent, but I feel that murder is wrong no matter what form it’s in. So yes, I disagree with hunting for animals and people for that matter. And that being said, M. Vick is still a ruthless murdering thug. How can you kill anything by drowning, slamming them to the groung, hanging? That is torture. He has no heart and can never convince me that he is remorseful. If you don’t realize that it’s wrong as you’re doing it and hear those poor animals cry in pain as you laugh at it with your homie thug friends, then you need counseling, not a second chance to make millions of dollars. HE IS A MURDERING THUG !!!

31. gr8fully says: Sep 3, 2009 1:50 PM

I love dogs, and while I am not an eagles fan or a Vick fan, calling him a murderer is just dumb.
    mur·der (mûr’dər)
    noun.
    The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.
    Killing a dog, while reprehensible, isn’t murder. Vick did more time for killing dogs than a lot of people do for killing people. He did his time, let him play. If you don’t like him, then don’t watch eagles games or buy their merchandise.

32. Jackal138 says: Sep 3, 2009 5:11 PM

“If you don’t like him, then don’t watch eagles games or buy their merchandise.”
    These people weren’t doing that anyway, except maybe the two weeks a year the Eagles play their teams.
    These are mostly NFCE haters who just like using some fake “moral superiority” to talk trash.