Deion wades into the Crabtree fiasco

NFL Network’s Deion Sanders chimed in earlier tonight regarding the lingering impasse between the 49ers and receiver Michael Crabtree.

Sanders, who was represented during his playing career by Crabtree’s agent, Eugene Parker, and who still is believed to have close ties to him, said that Crabtree is willing to sit out the entire season and re-enter the draft in 2010.

“You can’t miss what you don’t have,” Sanders said regarding the money that Crabtree currently is leaving on the table.

Sanders also said that two teams contacted the 49ers regarding a trade for Crabtree, that the teams were willing to pay Crabtree, and that Crabtree knows it.  Though Sanders didn’t say so directly, he implied that the other teams were willing to pay Crabtree a contract worth $40 million.  (And if the player became aware of the intended offers via communications with the interested teams, the 49ers should be filing tampering charges.)

As host Rich Eisen astutely pointed out in response, the window on trading Crabtree has closed.  And, as we recently explained for SportingNews.com, by the time that window re-opens, a team would have to pay Crabtree out of a 2010 rookie pool number that gets no deeper to account for the presence of a holdover from 2009.

We were a bit troubled, frankly, by the extent to which Sanders used his regular spot on Total Access as a commercial for Parker, singing his praises while generally criticizing other agents who “didn’t do a good job” by negotiating the contract that have placed Crabtree in a slot he doesn’t like.

Along the way, Sanders parroted the talking points that we’ve heard Parker is using while recruiting the guys with whom Crabtree might be competing for draft position next year, explaining that Parker had done plenty of other deals (including the contract for 2009 third overall pick Tyson Jackson), a tactic which apparently is intended to insulate Parker from blame for the current mess.

But Sanders pushed it a bit too far with this one:  “It’s not Eugene’s reputation or his benefit to keep a guy out.”

Actually, Parker has a long history of “keeping a guy out.”  As we explained on August 21, only one of Parker’s last 18 first-round picks reported for training camp on time.

In this specific case, Sanders was vague regarding the person most responsible for Crabtree’s current status.  There’s speculation in league circles that Parker recruited Crabtree by promising that he’d be a top-five pick, and that Parker’s Plan B was to attempt to get him a contract in that ballpark.  The other school of thought is that the kid is simply delusional, and that he doesn’t realize that he’ll be in the same mess next year, unless he gets picked higher than he got picked this year.

He’s also fooling himself if he thinks he’ll be picked higher, especially since whoever is thinking about drafting Crabtree in 2010 will have no way to avoid the internal “I told you so’s” if he gives his next team a hard time at any point during his career in that city.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Contracts, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Deion wades into the Crabtree fiasco”
  1. doric44 says: Sep 4, 2009 11:08 PM

if he does sit out the season he wont even be a 1st round pick next year and will lose out on millions the guy is crazy

2. Alpheratz says: Sep 4, 2009 11:12 PM

His football analysis can be good at times, but I really wish Tim McCarver would have kicked his ass all those years ago.

3. DawgPoundJim says: Sep 4, 2009 11:13 PM

I saw this live and Deion was absolutely ridiculous in this segment. He made several flimsy arguments such as insinuating that the deals made at slots 6-9 were not good ones because the money dropped off too quickly, and that the 49ers need Crabtree rather than vice versa. He even went as far as to say that he knows of Crabtree’s financial situation and that he doesn’t money enough to come back anytime soon.

4. AvoidLLOYD says: Sep 4, 2009 11:18 PM

What can I say about Deon Sanders…Great player, but off the field a complete dipshit, like Michael Irvin always defending the garbage of the league…I guess it’s true that game do recognize game and pieces of shit flock together. But are any of us surprised about this?

5. FumbleNuts says: Sep 4, 2009 11:22 PM

Crabfoot will be a MAJOR headache for ANY team as time will tell. Go back to the draft and HOPE for the best because you will be nothing but a joke.

6. GeraldKeefer says: Sep 4, 2009 11:25 PM

I know a lot of people love Deion from his playing days but his is AWFUL on tv. A complete joke. At least Sapp has his own opinions and isn’t afraid to share them. Everything Deion says is generic.

7. JayBackInTheBay says: Sep 4, 2009 11:26 PM

Couldn’t understand why Deion was coming off the way he was until Rich mentioned his relationship to Parker. The rest of the interview had the feel of Deion acting as Crabtree’s agent and defending him at a press conference. His snake-oil salesman smile during the interview was pretty revolting. What the hell happened to you Prime Time?!?

8. BigBadBear says: Sep 4, 2009 11:27 PM

Since when do people actually listen to Deion?
    I actually value Michael Irvin’s opinion more, which doesn’t say much.

9. Legend says: Sep 4, 2009 11:36 PM

Well sure, and 1 of those 2 teams that made the offer is probably the Raiders. Al Davis is the king of messing with people. lol

10. jasncondit says: Sep 4, 2009 11:40 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the next Laurence Phillips!

11. Everyones_an_Expert says: Sep 4, 2009 11:40 PM

Deion is pathetic for getting involved in this, and Eugene Parker is very quickly ruining this young man’s potential

12. Rex Grossman says: Sep 4, 2009 11:42 PM

hey man, crabs dont grow on trees!

13. stadanko says: Sep 4, 2009 11:47 PM

All this from the guy who told Cutler to “man up” and “lead his team”? Someone should let Deion know that a mythical 40 time from 20 years ago doesn’t give you a pass on pathetic political posturing for an agent and a player that he “put his name on”.

14. AtlJB says: Sep 4, 2009 11:51 PM

If inclined, could Crabtree play in the UFL or CFL in 2009?

15. This is not news says: Sep 4, 2009 11:53 PM

Now that I know Prime Time’s unbiased opinion, I can sleep tonight.

16. World Champs Raiders 3 Chargers 0 says: Sep 5, 2009 12:02 AM

Crabtree is starting on the wong foot. Probably will get signed and pull an Andre Smith. Atleast we can hope. Go Heywerd-Bey!

17. cannonarm says: Sep 5, 2009 12:09 AM

I can’t stand Sanders and Crabtree seems to go out of his way to prove the prima donna rumors correct. I keep waiting to hear he’s going to play in Canada or the UFL.

18. pwoeckener says: Sep 5, 2009 12:14 AM

I get physically sick when Deion Sanders opens his mouth on TV. I refuse to watch or listen to highlights that he comments on…at all.
    And now this pathetic piece of “journalism”?
    I am simply waiting for the day when agents like Parker, and players like Crabtree get made an example of.
    Let Crabtree sit out the season. Didn’t Bryant McKinney pull this crap with the Vikings a few years ago? He eventually signed in October, or something like that, but one can hope that Crabtree just goes back into next year’s draft and no one takes him until say the 4th or 5th round, offers him the league minimum to shut his pie hole and just play ball.
    And something tells me that the pending labor strife in the NFL is going to have a major impact on future players salaries going forward. Crabtree just may be one of the last cancers we have to read about from players who are so overtly spoiled to the real world.
    I’m unemployed and am interviewing for a job that may pay me about $50k per year. Hard for me to have sympathy for a 21 year old punk athlete that is turning down millions just because of his pride.
    Stupid is as stupid does though.

19. DcNinerFan says: Sep 5, 2009 12:38 AM

I can see that the “other” sources of Crabtree’s advice is coming from one of the stupidest commentators in football. Well, if he wants to bugger up his career, he can. Good for him, I hope he falls the the seventh round next year, making less than 5% of what he would be making by signing right now.
    This goddamned site and its BS login system. Can’t keep you logged in. Fix it florio, its for shite.

20. G-Men says: Sep 5, 2009 12:40 AM

Overall, it seems like the 49ers are offering Mr. Crabtree 28 million. 8 of the 28 are incentives for hitting Jerry Rice like numbers. Taking into consideration that hitting those incentives is unlikely, the probable outcome would be closer to 24 million for five years. His annual average could be 4.8 million a year.
    However, upon further investigation into Mr. Sander’s video, it would seem Mr. Crabtree is looking for 30 some odd million. In addition to the 8 or some odd million incentives. (Resembles the number 7 money for Mr. Heyward-Bey)
    I am looking at the big picture for a second. In the aforementioned deals, the first would equate to 24 million over 5 years. If Mr. Crabtree were to sit out the year and receive the deal he is looking for in the next draft, that total would be roughly 34 million. This being true five years from now on both deals would leave him at 24 million and 27.2 million. However, over the lifetime of the second contract would be 34 million.
    I for one see a huge problem. If Mr. Crabtree does fulfill his potential I imagine he sits out until he is paid as the top receiver. What if he reaches or comes close to that status in a year or two? Everyone is back at square one. (Incase you haven’t been paying attention lately, it means he wouldn’t be preparing for the season)
    Any team that signs Mr. Crabtree will be grossly overpaying in the present and future for his services.

21. steeler-hater says: Sep 5, 2009 12:41 AM

Who’s example is this Crabtree guy following anyways, Kelly Stouffer’s?
    Don’t Crabtree remember how well that tactic worked out for Stouffer?

22. PhillyRulez88 says: Sep 5, 2009 2:00 AM

Dear Mr. Crabtree,
    Keep listening to Deion and Parker. They will not let you down. You’ll get drafted in the Top 5, get Top 5 money, or get traded to one of two teams that will pay you Top 5 money. Remember, “You can’t miss what you don’t have”
    P.S. Your phone will be ringing any second…

23. gojags says: Sep 5, 2009 2:17 AM

Crabtree is a primetime loser. I hate this mother sucker and am thanking the good Lord that Jacksonville did not scoop up this jerk off. The rookie salary cap restructuring can’t come soon enough!!!!!!!

24. Silver&Black666 says: Sep 5, 2009 4:10 AM

Legend = Dumbshit!
    Like Al Davis and his 80 year old ass has the time after his nap and his diaper change to play practical jokes on the 49ers and the rest of the league!!

25. Edub817 says: Sep 5, 2009 4:14 AM

See, this is why I don’t bother with NFLN anymore. Or ESPN for that matter. Too many former players using their positions to further their own agendas.
    Whatever happened to just reporting the news or telling the story from both angles?
    Irvin did it back in ’05 with Owens and now Sanders is doing it with Parker and Crabtree. Those networks really should be ashamed of themselves. Worldwide leader in bullshit.

26. Raiders757 says: Sep 5, 2009 4:40 AM

I am very sure that Crabtree is wishing Sanders would just shut the hell up. It doesn’t make his stupidity look any better than has already. This is all the more of an example as to why a rookie cap needs to be in place. This not only makes Crabtree look like a moron, and the 49ers look bad, but it makes the NFL look like turds well.
    It’s time rookie entitlement came to an end. You should have to prove yourself before you get paid in the NFL. .

27. manuel49ers says: Sep 5, 2009 4:45 AM

IM GOING TO BE FRANK WITH ALL OF YOU…… I WAS EXCITED WHEN THE NINERS DRAFTED CRABTREE. AND I REALLY THOUGHT THAT HE WAS A TEAM PLAYER AND WAS READY TO HELP THE TEAM OUT. THAT WAS THE REASON I BOUGHT HIS JERSEY. BUT I WAS WRONG….. HE BECAME THE RETARDED KID FROM THE BLOCK OR SHOULD I SAY THE SPOIL BRAT FROM THE BLOCK….. I PRETTY SURE THAT HE DOESNT KNOW THE MEANING OF HARD WORK….. ALOT OF PEOPLE WOULD BE HAPPY WITH THE DEAL THAT HE’S GETTING……. I MADE A MISTAKE OF BUYING THAT JERSEY….. I WAS BETTER OF WITH A KORY SHEET JERSEY BECAUSE LIKE A REAL FOOTBALL PLAYER HE WORKS HARD AND SHOWING EVERY BODY THAT HE’S A TEAM PLAYER…… I HOPE THE CRABTREE READS THIS CUZ HE’S AN IDIOT AND DESERVES LESS MONEY AND I HOPE YOU GET IT THE WORSE THAN ANY BODY…. I HOPE YOU DO THE RIGHT THING AND SIGN AND GET ON THE FIELD. ONCE YOU PROVE THAT YOUR A FACTOR THEN AFTER YOU’LL GET YOUR MONEY….UNTILL THEN SHUT UP, SIGN THE CONTRACT AND GET ON THE FIELD AND PLAY THE GAME…..
    AS FOR DEON SANDERS….. YOUR A PIECE OF SHIT… SHUT THE HELL UP AND MIND YOUR OWN F****NG PROBLEM CUZ YOUR MAKING YOURSELF LOOK LIKE A GREEDY SELFISH PERSON THAT FRANKLY YOUR F**KING OTHER PEOPLES CAREERS….. YOU PIECE OF SHIT….. AND CRABTREE THE 49ERS DONT NEED YOU… AND YOUR GONA MISS OUT ON SOMETHING SPECIAL YOU’LL SEE….
    GO 49ERS………. THIS YEAR WILL BE THE YEAR ………
    GO

28. josh says: Sep 5, 2009 5:30 AM

Crabtree is a fool if he thinks he will get a better contract next year. Players don’t get better sitting out for a season. Not to mention he would have to make up for the lost income he would have received this year. Not going to happen!!!
    This is why the rookie contract needs to be refigured! Many of these guys end up busts anyways. they should have to prove themselves before getting paid so much money! They should have to EARN their pay!

29. Ike Huminspurts says: Sep 5, 2009 6:31 AM

These comments from “Neon” bring one word to mind….tampering. If Crabtree somehow knows of any team making a trade offer and the contract that would ensue then someone is relaying that information through his inner circle, Prime Time, or Eugene Parker himself. Either way that sounds like tampering to me, but at this point it is starting to get ugly between Crabs and the 9ers so let’s just wait and see what these teams are willing to spend on this same gimmick WR March 1, 2010. It is infuriating to see this kid get so much bad advice from so many different sources and I wonder if he will look back on these times in 5 years with any regrets for the way he allowed all of this to transpire and more so for the expert advisers he has put in his corner and led him down this ridiculous path. If he continues down this road and does not sign a contract to play for the 49ers this year, I predict he will never see the kind of money he could be stealing from the 49ers ever again. As a loyal fan I hate to see my team lose a top 10 pick this way but I hope this serves as a beacon to the rest of the league the need to change the way rookies are compensated. The raises recieved per pick percentage wise over last year’s picks are astronomical compared to previous drafts. Crabtree is slotted to recieve a 10% increase over last year’s #10 which is a decent raise but not nearly the ridiculous 40% that the sweatsuit gave to DHB. So Sanders’ statement amount to the Raiders were stupid enough to try and validate a pick of no value by overpaying and now SF should hop on that stupid train with them and break the bank for an unproven commodity. Not only does this not make sense as far as setting a precedent for future negotiations with draft picks but also with current veterans who are actually proven and worth giving extensions to, like say Patrick Willis. Joe Staley recently signed an extension with 16 mil guaranteed and if Crabtree gets more than that how can he feel he didn’t get hosed. Parker has pushed this to the point now where it is no longer about the money, but more about the principal of not getting pushed around in negotiations. With all of this being said, I do not feel SF should lower or adjust the offer regardless of how many games he misses but, if this kid recieves one cent more than BJ Raji then the front office loses all credibility. The team has come this far without him, and while some the younger WRs might not be as talented or highly-touted as Crabs, they certainly make up for it with a team-first attitude and the hunger to succeed.

30. Ike Huminspurts says: Sep 5, 2009 6:51 AM

Eugene Parker does not hold picks out of camp like T.O. doesn’t blow up his QB at some point. Also, if Parker got such a large contract for Tyson Jackson by “not holding him out” then why is it smaller than Aaron Curry’s contract.

31. guvsta says: Sep 5, 2009 7:13 AM

I know there’s no chance of it ever happening but I’d love the 49ers to make a deal with a team where they traded him before the next draft to a team fo a 7th rounder on the condition that the new team only offered him 7th round money. Let him sit out another year and then try to restart his career after 2 years of inactivity. I’m usually on the players’ sides but there’s something about this case that really annoys me. If he had half a brain he’d have negotiated himself a contract with incentives that could pay him more than his 10th place.
    It’s hard for the average fan to sympathise over this greediness. I don’t care about the “He has a limited career . . . gotta take care of the family . . .” BS, the fact is that most of us would be more than happy if we were earning 7th round wages and we have to prove ourselves before getting the money. Crabtree was offered millions regardless of whether or not he actually makes it or not. And don’t give me all this nonsense about him being the best receiver- I’m sure fans of Charles Rogers, Mike Williams and other multi-million busts made exactly the same argument.
    I’m not a 49ers fan so I don’t have that need to see him in a uniform but I do hope they make an example out of him. If I were a top college prospect now, I’d definitely think twice before signing with Parker . . .

32. Fan_Of_ Four says: Sep 5, 2009 7:48 AM

Either this kid is really ignorant or he is getting some really bad advice. The NFL could make this all go away in the future by installing a rookie salary cap. Basing a players salary on his draft position is insane. So many times we see guys getting huge chunks of money and they end up being turds. Make these spoiled little fkers earn their pay. This system needs a total enema.

33. dakotah says: Sep 5, 2009 8:05 AM

Hey MANUEL49ERS, if you really wanted to get your point across you should have boldfaced it, instead of just using all caps.

34. Harm City Homer says: Sep 5, 2009 8:37 AM

I can see why SF would not want to break the slotting system (they will be picking in the top 10 next year and maybe the year after) and I can see why Crabtree would rather not play there for 5 years for 20-28 mil.
    If they really want the player, they will meet his price.
    I have no doubt that teams that pick in the bottom of the 1st round that may have had Crabtree rated as the 3rd-7th best prospect would have no issue paying him as such, or giving him reachable incentives along with a QB and team that will help.
    Rocket Ismail dodged the draft, made his money and made about as much of a mark on the game as he was going to.
    Crabtree may not get more money, but it is his gamble to take. He may only get one NFL contract, so he better get one he is going to be happy with in 4 or 5 years. Ask Brandon Marshall or Anquan Boldin. They do not have the option of going back into the draft or holding out without losing money they already do have.

35. screaming sheep says: Sep 5, 2009 9:32 AM

If GM’s would tell players at the combine, you know, we would love to take a look at you but we won’t draft players represented by Eugene Parker anymore, this would stop.
    Rookie cap is coming anyway, won’t be a factor with the new CBA.

36. StevieMo says: Sep 5, 2009 10:39 AM

Where’s that idiotic Niners fan who kept writing on this board that Crapgreed will be in camp in plenty of time and will be “All-Pro” (one of the 2 best receivers in the NFL) within 3 years?
    Hey, big fella — put the bong DOWN.

37. montanabob says: Sep 5, 2009 11:41 AM

Hey Florio; if Crabtree continues to listen to his douche bag agent and does hold out for the entire season and re-enter the draft; are the niners entitled to any compensation in next years draft or are they screwed?

38. PDXNinerfan says: Sep 5, 2009 12:33 PM

The fact that Deion is even speaking after being rep’d by Parker discredits him as a professional.
    That said, here’s a viewpoint: Niners don’t think MC will drop to #10. DHB goes #7. Niners see MC at #10 and have not researched him enough (or at least discussed him enough) and see him as incredible talent to fill a need spot fall into their lap. I bet they were looking for defense or something else at #10. So they grab MC and walk away feeling they just got the best WR in the draft below market value. So in comes MC to a team that never thought they would have him and took him because he was the best and fell low enough. MC’s thinking is that if I’m the best, be thankful you were able to land me but at least pay me like I’m the best.
    It almost makes sense. I still think he needs to accept the #10 slot and prove something before his next holdout. He fell to #10 because he deserves to be #10 (or lower)…Al Davis proved it (which pained me to type).

39. footballrulz says: Sep 5, 2009 12:36 PM

@ dakotah–that was funny

40. rileyg1 says: Sep 5, 2009 1:24 PM

all i can say right now is the nfl network has sunk to an all time low when it gave time to prime time to shill for his agent on the pretext of helping michael crabtree. that was a pathetic display.that was either a last ditch effort to help a friend in his negotiations or a very lame attempt at getting the player away from the 49ers. he appeared to have info he shouldnt? goodells office needs to take a hard look at why this is playing out this way? looks like a texas conspiracy to me. michael crabtree shouldnt have info about other clubs inquiring about has services, since his rights are held by the 49ers. lets try to keep the draft clean and keep the purple tied salesman out of the process and off the tv!!
    about

41. Merton Hanks says: Sep 5, 2009 1:48 PM

TO ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS ASKED:
    No, the Niners don’t receive any compensation in the event that he doesn’t sign,
    And if Crabtree wanted to play in the CFL or UFL I believe that would change the Niners rights to him from 1 year to 3 years