Panthers claim running back Sutton from Packers

Tyrell Sutton was one of the best stories of Packers training camp, but he surprisingly didn’t make their 53-man roster on Saturday.

Now, he’s no longer with the organization.

The Panthers claimed Sutton off waivers, a somewhat surprising move considering Carolina has a similar player in rookie Mike Goodson.

But it’s no surprise Sutton was claimed after all the impressive reviews he gathered in practice and the solid work he did throughout the preseason.  An undrafted rookie from Northwestern, Sutton could be a useful player on passing downs with his jitterbug style.

Claiming Sutton may be a sign that the Panthers are unsure about Jonathan Stewart’s recovery from an Achilles injury. Stewart is hopeful he’ll be ready for Week One, but the team can’t be that confident after Stewart missed nearly all of camp.

Then again, maybe the Panthers are just looking to upgrade their talent base.  They swiped quarterback Matt Moore from the Cowboys in a similar move two years ago and he’s still with the team.

The Packers were able to sign running back Kregg Lumpkin to their practice squad after he cleared waivers.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
6 Responses to “Panthers claim running back Sutton from Packers”
  1. packerswin says: Sep 6, 2009 2:41 PM

That is exactly what TT wanted, Sutton getting picked up and having Lumpkin clear waivers so he could be resigned. Sutton was good in the preseason but Lumpkin was the one that the Packers really wanted to keep.

2. screaming sheep says: Sep 6, 2009 2:52 PM

Can’t catch a punt, can’t tackle, surely can’t defend a pass. But we can run the ball.

3. zangy says: Sep 6, 2009 3:11 PM

Damnit this pisses me off. I don’t understand keeping 3 FBs? wtf TT, i try to agree with you a lot because I like the direction our team is going but c’mon, we should have kept Sutton.

4. greenguy09 says: Sep 6, 2009 3:41 PM

one of the fullbacks , most likely qj, will be a short yardage guy, i totattly agree with this desicion

5. GB3Pack4 says: Sep 6, 2009 3:50 PM

I don’t CARE about all the rules & reasons – I wanted that talented little guy on the Pack. I believe he could have been a contributor, a sparkplug, somebody the fans AND the team would have loved – like Samkon. I vaguely recall there was some new system they didn’t feel he was learning fast enough, but boy, did he light it up, regardless. I absolutely believe Tyrell would have done that, and now will do it for the Panthers.
    Great.

6. Dr. Pancake says: Sep 6, 2009 4:08 PM

WTF Panthers? 2 available roster spots and we get another RB? I’m assuming he can return kicks or punts? Hey Marty, WE STILL NEED A DT!