Report: Nguyen was intoxicated, not seriously hurt

Information continues to surface regarding the arrest of Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman for allegedly committing battery and false imprisonment against Tila Tequila Nguyen, and we’ll be posting new stuff of interest as it emerges.

She was not seriously hurt,” Caldwell said of Nguyen.  “She was able to talk.  She
was able to walk.  She was mobile.  She did not have any serious injuries
that our deputies saw.”

Caldwell also said that Nguyen appeared to be intoxicated when the authorities arrived at the scene.

Also, several people were at Merriman’s home at the time of the incident, and they have been questioned.  Presumably, one of more of them witnessed whatever happened between Merriman and Nguyen.

Though there’s a line that shouldn’t be crossed when attempting to secure possession of someone’s keys, it’s possible that Nguyen had consumed enough of her namesake to misperceive and/or overreact.

Stay tuned.

[UPDATE:  In a prior version of this post, I spelled Nguyen’s name three different ways.  I blame it on the schnapps.]

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Legal, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Report: Nguyen was intoxicated, not seriously hurt”
  1. Krow says: Sep 6, 2009 5:10 PM

Merriman was trying to take her home to visit her sick mother… they planned to stop at church first. He has no idea what the girl is talking about.

2. TasteTheSteel says: Sep 6, 2009 5:10 PM

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

3. Abe Froeman says: Sep 6, 2009 5:14 PM

You spelled her name differently throughout the article.

4. dave says: Sep 6, 2009 5:14 PM

boom
    merriman’s going to become the hero in this story
    of course rival fans will still claim he is a spousal abuser
    ravens fans still call ben, ben rapelisburger
    fans are just stupid like that

5. csulb49er says: Sep 6, 2009 5:15 PM

Next, they’re going to start saying she fell down the stairs…

6. benzo says: Sep 6, 2009 5:18 PM

She def overacted….thanks for at least posting this….and TMZing this story up the ass.

7. ryans46d says: Sep 6, 2009 5:21 PM

“One commenter posted a theory earlier that seems to make sense — Merriman might have been trying to keep Nguyen from driving drunk.”
    That’s not a theory, it’s called conjecture. I have another “theory” for you, dips**t: Maybe Shawne Merriman is an abusing scumbag. Second, what the hell does “misperceive” mean?
    Dammit, I hate hack journalists.

8. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: Sep 6, 2009 5:21 PM

Can you say ROID RAGE? I think you can.

9. VoxVeritas says: Sep 6, 2009 5:21 PM

Who are you, Tony Dungy?

10. LiveNBreatheFootball says: Sep 6, 2009 5:21 PM

Keeping someone from leaving might be justified to keep them from driving drunk, but not choking them. It seems she was sober enough to call the cops from the scene.
    Please note, unlike Roethlisberger’s accuser, there were witnesses to this event.

11. CardHock says: Sep 6, 2009 5:26 PM

“ryans46d says: Dammit, I hate hack journalists.”
    Dammit I hate loser, commenter internet tough guys hiding in mommy basement…

12. CardHock says: Sep 6, 2009 5:29 PM

Anyone else feel bad for the Raiders and Jamarcus Russell week 1?

13. benzo says: Sep 6, 2009 5:30 PM

if she was restrained how did she call the cops during the inicident….he’s got 10 witnesses….you guys hating on him saying roid rage, sorry guys huge reach, this will amount to nothing and will all of yours lives.

14. Thatswhatshesaid says: Sep 6, 2009 5:30 PM

Maybe he thought she was a bobble head, she does look like one.

15. deymond says: Sep 6, 2009 5:34 PM

Of course, how else could Shawne Merriman have kept car keys away from her, except by choking her?
    Either the accusations are true or they’re false. If there is evidence that Merriman choked and/or threw her to the ground, it seems difficult to justify such actions regardless of motive.

16. ryans46d says: Sep 6, 2009 5:34 PM

@CardHock
    Unfortunately, I had to move in my mom’s basement because your mom kept leaving teethmarks in my sack as I was writing my loser comments.

17. TFBuckFutter says: Sep 6, 2009 5:36 PM

“Driving drunk is dangerous. I’m going to choke you.”
    Makes sense to me.

18. Bigbluefan says: Sep 6, 2009 5:42 PM

He found someone he could beat plain and simple did he do the lights out dance afterwards?

19. Twiz says: Sep 6, 2009 5:45 PM

funny how you have no problem using Merriman’s name in your blog headline, but you can’t do the same with the name she is most known by, Tila Tequila.
    I guess you are hoping not as many ppl read this particular one with the name Nguyen. What are you afraid of?

20. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Sep 6, 2009 5:46 PM

I’ve never wanted to Rock Cartwright a bobble head, until now.

21. droppingloads says: Sep 6, 2009 5:50 PM

I have a theory, maybe she was just talking too much and he got annoyed, it is a mans right put his broad in her place

22. Alpheratz says: Sep 6, 2009 5:53 PM

Dammit I hate loser, commenter internet tough guys hiding in mommy basement…
    I’ll say, it’s like those losers who get on any Patriots thread just to be a dickhead.

23. Uncle Rico says: Sep 6, 2009 5:53 PM

“ryans46d says: Dammit, I hate hack journalists.”
    Exactly. Grammar 101 anyone? Bueller…….Bueller?

24. danlinker says: Sep 6, 2009 5:56 PM

Benzo, I hate to pick at spelling or grammar, but your comment is a little sad there dude.

25. killachap says: Sep 6, 2009 5:59 PM

@ Cardhock
    I totally agree with your post about the commenters this site. I couldn’t have said it better myself!
    @benzo
    What’s not to say that the witnesses weren’t his boys who will likely say whatever he asks them to say? Further more for all you, I or anyone else knows they could have been trying some orgy swinger liberal free love crap that they pull off out there in Cali and maybe it was too much for Tila. Obviously that last one is a reach but the point is still the same.

26. Abe Froeman says: Sep 6, 2009 5:59 PM

Did you just publicly admit to be under the influence while you work?

27. dawk says: Sep 6, 2009 6:03 PM

“This latest updates comes courtesy of the San Diego Union-Tribune, which reports that the injuries allegedly suffered by Nguyen were not serious, according to San Diego Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman Jan Caldwell.”
    Did they also describe the clothes she was wearing?
    Why not? That’s the way we do it with women around here. “Give me your keys b**ch, or I’ll beat the s**t out of you.” This is the LAST time ole’ Shawne tries to be SO helpful. See, even stopping short of MAJOR injuries gets him no respect!!!!!

28. TFBuckFutter says: Sep 6, 2009 6:04 PM

Is it January already?
    Isn’t that when the Chargers generally start choking?

29. Wrekagain says: Sep 6, 2009 6:11 PM

SD Sheriff’s department spokeswoman Jan Caldwell later admitted that she was a Charger fan and was on her knees showing Merriman how much she appreciated him.
    Can you say Charger spin and Merriman lies? I know that you can. Habitual lying is a sympton of roid rage.

30. World Champs Raiders 3 Chargers 0 says: Sep 6, 2009 8:36 PM

Hopefully the league suspends “Steroid boy” . Forget about Michael Vick this guy is the new
    B!tch killer. Chargers go 8-8 again this year.

31. World Champs Raiders 3 Chargers 0 says: Sep 6, 2009 9:17 PM

Also heard that LT was at the party and was caught trying to choke Adrian Peterson. Of course he couldn’t catch him since he’s lost a step.