Titans-Steelers tonight, Redskins-Steelers in February

Now that we’re part of the semi-legitimate media, we need to behave like the semi-legitimate media and pretend that we know what we’re talking about when it comes to predicting the teams that will make it to the postseason.

The reality is that no one knows what will happen, primarily because the only certainty is that injuries will screw up everything.

We often criticize so-called experts who base their predictions too heavily on the outcome of the prior season, so we’ve picked our Super Bowl teams in part by playing it safe and in part by thinking beyond the box.

Our best guess as of right now is that the Redskins and the Steelers will face off in February, and that the Steelers will win their third title in five years.

A lot of careful thought went into that.  Specifically, the guys at WSSP in Milwaukee put me on the spot Wednesday morning, and so I blurted out the picks my cousin Josh had e-mailed to me the day before.

But I’ll go with that.  I’ve been saying for months that the Redskins could be the surprise team of the NFC, and the Steelers are bringing back too much talent and have too good of a coach to not be considered the favorites to return to the championship game.

Here’s the rest of the AFC playoff field, as we (actually, I) see it.

AFC East champ:  Patriots.

AFC North champ:  Steelers.

AFC South champ:  Titans.

AFC West champ:  Chargers.

Wild cards:  Bengals and Colts.

For the NFC, here’s what we’ve got.

NFC East champ:  Redskins.

NFC North champ:  Vikings.

NFC South champ:  Saints.

NFC West champ:  Seahawks.

Wild cards:  Packers and Falcons.

I like the Pats to make it to the AFC title game, and the Vikings to get to the NFC championship.

Again, we all make these predictions because we have to.  No one really knows how the season will play out.  There are too many moving parts and factors beyond anyone’s control.

But, hey, if I end up being right, you’ll never hear the end of it.

Permalink 114 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
114 Responses to “Titans-Steelers tonight, Redskins-Steelers in February”
  1. cleanface says: Sep 10, 2009 4:43 PM

It’s disappointing that you’ve started smoking crack, Florio.

2. slipkid says: Sep 10, 2009 4:44 PM

skins? not happening.

3. briano29 says: Sep 10, 2009 4:45 PM

Bengals a wild card? Wow.

4. 90ragtop says: Sep 10, 2009 4:45 PM

The Redskins? All right, put the crack pipe down and back slowly away from the typewriter…

5. hayward giablommi says: Sep 10, 2009 4:45 PM

You’re funny Florio. Everybody knows that the Steelers can’t beat New England in January.
    If Pittsburgh’s last title defense is any indication, I wonder if they’ll even make the playoffs.

6. cnelson13 says: Sep 10, 2009 4:46 PM

Hahahahahah

7. GotNitro says: Sep 10, 2009 4:46 PM

Bengals and Titans in over the Ravens? Seriously?

8. Dolphin Fan says: Sep 10, 2009 4:46 PM

Redskins? Are you insane? Or did I miss the news about Dan Snyder selling the team?

9. soflaeagle says: Sep 10, 2009 4:46 PM

More chance of the next pope being called Berkowitz the first

10. Mr. Irrelevant says: Sep 10, 2009 4:47 PM

What are you smokin’ Florio? I need some of that. Ever since Dan Snyder bought the Redskins, there has been one phrase that won’t ever go together: “Redskins in the Super Bowl”. You realize they play in the NFC East right? That team won’t get past the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys for the next five years.

11. NFLJunkie says: Sep 10, 2009 4:47 PM

The Vikings in the NFC Championship? LOLOLOL!!!!!!! They will be lucky to make the playoffs……and yes, I’m serious. Brett Favre is going to kill that team, if he hasn’t already. Just watch.

12. Mr. Irrelevant says: Sep 10, 2009 4:48 PM

I think it’s more likely to see the Lions play the Bills in the Super Bowl than see Dan Snyder hold up the Lombardi Trophy.

13. Cranbo says: Sep 10, 2009 4:48 PM

Hail to the Redskins!
    Washington’s a lot better than people are giving them credit for.
    They’ll outdo the Giants this weekend, even though the G-Men are tough they’re about to find out what happens when you don’t have a receiver that dictates coverage physically combined with an erratic quarterback.
    Florio, you’re back on the Christmas Card list.

14. Stradivarius says: Sep 10, 2009 4:50 PM

Cue the Philly rage….we win it all this year…

15. AirlineGuy says: Sep 10, 2009 4:50 PM

Neither the Vikes or Skins are going to even make the playoffs!
    This has to be an April fools joke. Where is Washington going to find enough offense to win even HALF their games let alone an entire conference!

16. GumboFilledEaglesDrunk says: Sep 10, 2009 4:51 PM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I like the Redskins pick. There is a lot of talk that the Giants or Eagles take the Beast but those Natives could be tricky.

17. Zox says: Sep 10, 2009 4:51 PM

At what point in the season do the Redskins get a new QB that will take them there?

18. DJP says: Sep 10, 2009 4:52 PM

Redskins over the Giants and Cowboys? Is this one of those new “Punk’d Florio’ posts? ridiculous….

19. CtownBleedsGreen says: Sep 10, 2009 4:52 PM

Jumpin’ Jesus Christ on a pogo stick Florio. You prattle on and on about lawyerly stuff because you’re a lawyer…and we buy it. You sign with NBC to give yourself and your site legitimacy…and we buy it. You pick the mother f-ing Skins? After your cousin “the insider” picks them? You’ve lost your damn mind.

20. Tr3pidation says: Sep 10, 2009 4:53 PM

Can’t see that happening. Pats and Packers are who i see making it.

21. PkrNboro says: Sep 10, 2009 4:54 PM

hooooo–oooof
    hoooOOoofff
    Yo, Florio — eeaaarr…

22. nflallyear says: Sep 10, 2009 4:55 PM

Beyond the box?
    I think this article is from someone at the top of the ladder and unwilling to let go of the handrails and slide down into the sandbox. Too much cat poop seen from up there?

23. bdenny29 says: Sep 10, 2009 4:55 PM

He’s half right…
    Steelers v Packers. Write it down.
    With their 3rd title…Steelers: Team of the 70s and 00s.

24. Zoology says: Sep 10, 2009 4:55 PM

That’s right haters, HTTR

25. Bill112 says: Sep 10, 2009 4:56 PM

IF the oline stays close to healthy & they can keep Fat Al away from toxic buffet tables, the Redskins have as good a shot as any in the East.

26. Gallagher says: Sep 10, 2009 4:56 PM

My God, Florio, this may be as poor of a prediction that I have ever seen. How can you say that the only team to make the playoffs out of the NFC East are the Skins? The NFC North bringing two to the table? Good God man, you may have some good stories and rumors to tell the world, but you have clearly debacled the predictions end of it. Hopefully Curran works close enough to you to slap you in the back of your head.

27. larrryjjr says: Sep 10, 2009 4:56 PM

you’ve ranked the skins #22 and then going to the super bowl? need to do some fact checking on yourselves.

28. Steeler4life says: Sep 10, 2009 4:57 PM

Redskins??? That’s a joke.
    @hayward – That was the old New England, during the Spy Gate years. The Steelers will whoop the Patriots during any month of the year.
    Go Steelers!!!!!!!!

29. bustahead says: Sep 10, 2009 4:57 PM

Florio, I really enjoy your page and the fact that you mention the Skins as the East Champion is one reason I like you…you keep me laughing.

30. Harm City Homer says: Sep 10, 2009 4:57 PM

Who Dey pay to pieamp Bungles all over the place?
    They have some good players, but they have some seriously suspect spots on the roster on the record on the regular.
    Andre Smith may be able to replace Stacey Andrews when he sheds the rolls of fat and foot fracturing moobbies, and Coles could fill the role of the Ponytailpimpjuice strong hand playa.
    I cant see it. The Ravens and Steelers are pretty good right now. Only the AFC W is down to 1 good team. There are just not enough playoff spots for bungles when an 11 win Pats team had to watch the postseason on TV.

31. spennyhatch says: Sep 10, 2009 4:59 PM

as a long suffering skins’ fan i hope to god you are right (other than LOSING in the superbowl). That being said… you are seriously high you slappy…

32. neight says: Sep 10, 2009 4:59 PM

Florio = Losing credibilty…Fast!
    Whats next??? Raiders are going to go 14-2? Get real Florio!

33. DildoBaggins says: Sep 10, 2009 5:00 PM

Florio – I’ve been saying the Skins are going to surprise this year as well; let me put this out there first – I’m an Eagles fan.
    Everyone is just assuming that the Skins are in last place in the East and that’s it. Yet, they were hot, and totally in the race at what, 7-2 at one point, last year. If you ask most people where the Skins D was last year – they don’t know. They were 4th overall – and got Albert f’n Haynesworth and Orakpo (regardless of whether he should be playing DE).
    Campbell, despite all the crap that went on over the summer, is in a contract year, and if he comes through this year of all years – after his FO doubted him enough to try and trade him twice – if he shows he’s got it, he’s gettin paid, believe that. Campbell was without an INT for how long last year – into like Week 9 or something? And his first pick wasn’t his fault either, it was a tipped ball.
    The Skins faultered because their number one player – who is very underrated going into this season despite the great year he had last year (look at his numbers – now take into account he was hurt for about 1/3 of the year) – Clinton Portis. I don’t know if taking him off the field on 3rd down is the answer or not, but the bottom line just like Westbrook must be healthy for the Eagles, Barber must be healthy for the Boys, and Jacobs must be healthy for the Giants – Portis must be healthy.
    Just saying – the Skins are flying VERY low under the radar right now. That D is no joke. If you look at Tennessee’s D last year – they did not blitz alot, alot of it was Fat Al’s pressure. Look at all the turnovers they got – which was Washington’s biggest problem on D, getting turnovers. That should change for them this year with being able to pressure the passer more.
    As far as the Steelers back to back – don’t see it.

34. Steve-O says: Sep 10, 2009 5:00 PM

Do you even read your own website? You genius’ ranked the Skins #22 a week ago.

35. saudishot says: Sep 10, 2009 5:00 PM

Pats vs. Eagles and Brady reigns supreme!

36. WetHog says: Sep 10, 2009 5:01 PM

As a Skins fan I will embrace Mr. Florio’s prediction. Why wouldn’t I? After all the crap being heeped on the Skins (much of it deserved) since LiL Danny took over its refreshing to have the Skins picked for the Super Bowl.
    And think of the interesting parrellel’s at work here. Gibbs Part I, Gibbs ended his first year 8-8. Next year a SB win. Zorn’s first year record, yes thats right 8-8. The last time the Skins won a SB (’91)they finished that years pre-season 1-4 amid talk the team was worthless and Rypien was a has-been. This year? Yup, 1-4 and Campbell is a bumb.
    Having said all that, I am not stupid. After the fabulous Norvell Turner, Spurrier, and Gibbs II years my expectations for the Skins are super low. If they make the SB great. If not, season sweep of at least 1 NFC East team, and at least 1 win over the Crackboys, and I will be a happy man. Anything else would be icing on the cake.

37. mixman34 says: Sep 10, 2009 5:01 PM

really Florio… REALLY?!?!!?

38. The Wishbone says: Sep 10, 2009 5:02 PM

@ Florio,
    REDSKINS?!
    The nonstop whining about rule-breaking is bad, the endless Twitter-referencing posts are worse, but picking the Redskins to get to the Super Bowl shows you should have just stuck to being a lawyer.
    How bout we make a little wager, Florio? If the Redskins go to the Super Bowl this year, I’ll buy your book. WHEN they don’t, you can send me an autographed copy with an apology for being so ridiculous. You seem to have a lot of those books sitting around. Maybe you’ve been too busy unloading them to notice that even the Redskins aren’t happy with the Redskins’ QB. Maybe next year, after they hire Gruden…

39. BDiddy says: Sep 10, 2009 5:03 PM

The Redskins?! Seriously? They will finish last in the NFC East. I would bet my annual salary that the Redskins do not make the SB.

40. leatherneck says: Sep 10, 2009 5:03 PM

If it is Vikings vs. Redskins in the NFC title game, the Vikings will get revenge for 1987. The ghost of Darrin Nelson will swoop down to the end zone, catch a ball that was batted by the ghost of Darrell Greene, and the Vikings will win the game.
    And then the ghost of Tarkenton throws a bomb to the ghost of Sammy White and the Vikings crush the Steelers 37-15.

41. redsquare says: Sep 10, 2009 5:05 PM

You’re right that no one really knows (Cardinals, anyone?), so there’s not much point in anyone saying “you’re wrong, it will go like this…”
    Personally, I hope we get some surprises this year. As good as the the top teams are, it’s getting a little old watching the same old Pats, Steelers, Eagles (ESPECIALLY the Eagles…if you’re not going to win a championship, could you please just get out of the way and let something actually interesting happen?), etc., show.
    So, why not the Redskins? It’d be really interesting compared to the safer picks. It’d be very cool to see a postseason with the Redskins, Bengals, Vikings, Saints, Chiefs, etc.
    The only prediction I’ll make is that the Cowboys are going to either be really great, or really bad. Something’s got to give.

42. John says: Sep 10, 2009 5:05 PM

This is a great pick but I think you are absolutely INSANE for picking the Steelers!!
    The Redskins, however, is a great pick!!
    Its going to be Redskins vs. Patriots in a rematch of their thrilling first half preseason game.

43. Labs&Pits81 says: Sep 10, 2009 5:07 PM

Pats vs Giants…..Pats to kick butt!!!!

44. 4evrnyt says: Sep 10, 2009 5:08 PM

Redskins in the superbowl is the worst prediction I’ve heard yet especially not coming from a Redskins fan.
    Seriously, you are terrible.

45. BigMarv says: Sep 10, 2009 5:08 PM

Deadskins? Where did that come from? I see the deadskins at 8-8 at best…. Steelers will loose to New England in AFC CHAMPIONSHIP game.. I like Big D vs New England.. New England wins.. But I’m a Dallas Fan for LIFE!!!!!!

46. kazkal says: Sep 10, 2009 5:08 PM

——–Who Dey pay to pieamp Bungles all over the place?
    Seriously they were 0 and 4 Before Palmer got hurt and the rest of the injury reserve roster got filled up.———————-
    Because the Oline was killing him for 4 games…Now it’s much improved our weapons on offense are improved we improved on 12 ranked defense….
    Possible for them to sneak in via wildcard but they could also end up 4-12

47. Rob0729 says: Sep 10, 2009 5:09 PM

Redskins?!? Really?!? I thought you were a Steelers homer Florio. Maybe you are a Redskin homer. Daniel Snyder isn’t even picking the Redskins to go to the Super Bowl.

48. mustbechris says: Sep 10, 2009 5:09 PM

Oops!

49. OranjelloJones says: Sep 10, 2009 5:09 PM

I’m with a few others here. OK on the pick (pretty ballsy) but it sure doesn’t mesh with your ranking them #22 right now. Bottom third of the league but they’re gonna go to the show? Hope you’re right!

50. WolfgangK says: Sep 10, 2009 5:10 PM

As a Packers fan, I’d like to thank you for picking the Vikes to win the North and the NFC Championship. Woohoo! More of this, from everywhere please. Come on media, let’s keep raising those expectations… :D

51. DeBoe says: Sep 10, 2009 5:12 PM

Since wacky predictions seam to be thing here, I’ll go that route as well.
    Raiders against the Rams in the Super Bowl.
    That makes about as much sense as the Bengals and Redskins making the playoffs.

52. apfister says: Sep 10, 2009 5:12 PM

I love the website, I’ve read it daily at work (shhh) for the past year and a half. But I hadn’t created a profile until now bc I had to comment on this post. Maybe that is why you make such longshot predictions, to gain members, if so, kudos. I appreciate going out on a limb and having that much faith in your family but the Redskins??!!
    I mean we’re talking about the Redskins… That was a loose shout out to A.I. They’ll finish most likely last in the NFC Beast with the Eagles and Giants 1 and 2.
    (I am an avid Eagles fan which means I carry no bias)

53. Burritto says: Sep 10, 2009 5:15 PM

I mean, I guess if you’re gonna go out there, then you go OUT THERE. The Redskins make no sense at all, but if you’re wrong, you’re just as wrong as 90% of the other people who guessed incorrectly. If you’re right, you look like a genius.
    Mize well make a sucker bet when the price to play is $0

54. darrius_heyward-bey-butterfingers says: Sep 10, 2009 5:18 PM

Redskins???? That’s ridiculous.

55. jaytrotter says: Sep 10, 2009 5:19 PM

While I don’t see it happening you guys are acting like there are never surprises in the NFL. The Cardinals were in the Super Bowl last year. The Cardinals! The Giants won 2 years ago. They were coming off an 8-8 season just as the Skins are this year. In 2007 the Dolphins and Ravens were two of the worst teams in the league and then look what they did last year. Crazy stuff happens every year in the NFL.

56. bmckay says: Sep 10, 2009 5:21 PM

The Skins can’t make it out of the NFC East? They’ve done it two out of the last four years. Hardly going to set the world on fire, but evidence enough to prove that anyone who considers the Redskins making it out of the the conference an impossibility, an idiot.
    It’s amazing how many people who read this site feel qualified to dictate the content of it. You’d think that there would be all sorts of PFT clones out there that mirror this site minus predictions, Twitters updates, and Brett Farve news that would have an ABC deal in 1/10th the time it took PFT to get hooked up with NBC.

57. Grulks says: Sep 10, 2009 5:24 PM

I actually agree with Florio for once.
    The Skins will play in the Superbowl this year.
    Pertaining 31 teams suffer natural disasters, that erase them from the face of the planet.

58. BottleKnockers says: Sep 10, 2009 5:30 PM

Hail to the Redskins!
    Hail Victory!
    Braves on the Warpath!
    Fight for old D.C.!
    Run or pass and score — we want a lot more!
    Beat ‘em, Swamp ‘em,
    Touchdown! — Let the points soar!
    Fight on, fight on ‘Til you have won
    Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!
    Hail to the Redskins!
    Hail Victory!
    Braves on the Warpath!
    Fight for old D.C.!
    Oh yeah Florio. I proactively agree with the September 12th post you will have predicting Pat White and Owen Schmitt will win AFC and NFC Rookie of the Year awards

59. mobskinz says: Sep 10, 2009 5:30 PM

Whoo Hoo! Hail to the Redskins! When it comes to the Skinz, I live in a fantasy world called DeNile. So even if this is crazy, it made my day! Hey … if the freakin’ Cardinals can get to the Bowl with an owner that makes DS look like Jack Kent Cooke, then the Redskins have a SHOT! I love it…

60. nineoh says: Sep 10, 2009 5:35 PM

Florio…I’m shocked, just shocked I tell you…Your Cards hatred has begun early…You make as much sense as Tequilla

61. nflqb says: Sep 10, 2009 5:44 PM

you have to chuckle at pat fans who live in the past, their defense is the same caibre as the bengals, lions,
    and saints of the world and their offensive line isa shell of what it once was, yet the fans and media still think their this super power. gonna be a shock this season!

62. wydok says: Sep 10, 2009 5:45 PM

Florio shows once again that he has an anti-Eagles bias.

63. I_Hate_Yams says: Sep 10, 2009 5:45 PM

As the great philosopher Whitney Houston once said,”Crack is whack!”

64. SteelTown_6 says: Sep 10, 2009 5:47 PM

Steelers – Eagles, an all PA SB.
    The one that should have happened last year.

65. Raiders757 says: Sep 10, 2009 5:47 PM

Florio, point down the joint. The Steelers won’t be back, let alone the Redskins showing up for the first time in ages. That’s just madness.

66. RamboBavaro89 says: Sep 10, 2009 5:52 PM

Only an idiot (or Florio) would pick the ‘Skins to make it to the Super Bowl.
    Super Bowl XLIII = Giants 24 Steelers 14

67. mark says: Sep 10, 2009 5:55 PM

Wow,the redskins actually getting some love from the media,I am dumbfounded and at aloss for words.For the uninformed who are dismissing this as ludicrous,we were 3-3 in the NFC east,sweeping the eagles and beating the Cardinals as well.The Redskins defense will be nasty this year barring injuries,in turn requiring the offense to score 17-21 points or less in order to win against anyone even the giants on sunday.This is a bold yet pragmatic choice,I’m impressed.

68. the real deal says: Sep 10, 2009 5:56 PM

Why do you all trash Florio? these are nothing but predictions, you may not agree, but the odds are you idiots bashing the guy making predictions are wrong way more often!
    Skins? what’s wrong with that? Eli stinks without Burress, and philly might just be too young and are obviously failing with Vick after his last terrible, and i mean terrible outing!
    on the other hand Steve-o serves a good point, ranked 22 and picked to win a division? possible were there other nfc east teams ahead of 22?

69. NoFootballtalk says: Sep 10, 2009 5:58 PM

Lol i’m pretty sure half the playoff teams are not gonna be sleepers. And theres no way that Eagles and Giants are missing the playoffs and the Skins are getting in. You feelin alright, Mike?

70. SteelTown_6 says: Sep 10, 2009 6:01 PM

“…hayward giablommi says: September 10, 2009 4:45 PM …
    hayward, ..proof that Darwin was right.

71. Alpheratz says: Sep 10, 2009 6:11 PM

The Steelers will continue to have a good shot as long as they are spotted 4 wins per year from the Ohio teams.
    Don’t see that streak ending this year.

72. screaming sheep says: Sep 10, 2009 6:12 PM

I just don’t know what to say. All the good crack pipe jokes have been used.
    Damn Mike.

73. KILLER FIN says: Sep 10, 2009 6:19 PM

Y’all are HIGH!!! the patsies are NOT going to be as good as you idiots think!!!

74. Florios-Lawyer says: Sep 10, 2009 6:20 PM

“…But, hey, if I end up being right, you’ll never hear the end of it…”
    BFD.
    Even if you’re wrong we’ll never hear the end of it.

75. Hap says: Sep 10, 2009 6:23 PM

Florio. You’ve done it now. The RedFaced RedButts couldn’t beat themselves.

76. Rhode Kill says: Sep 10, 2009 6:26 PM

That was pretty funny, Florio. Now can cut out the bullcrap and give us your real playoff and Super Bowl predictions?
    I mean, the Giants, Eagles, Cardinals and Panthers were last years Final Four in the NFC and none of them make the playoffs this year? Good one. We look forward to the “real” picks by tomorrow.

77. Hap says: Sep 10, 2009 6:29 PM

Don’t you find it odd that Florio says RedSkinneds vs Steelers for SB and there are a list of coaches on the hot seat (Zorn) and both links on the same web page?

78. Route36West says: Sep 10, 2009 6:32 PM

“But, hey, if I end up being right, you’ll never hear the end of it.”
    Thank god we’ll never have to worry about that.
    I just said you did a great job picking out the week one wins and losses, but now I know what I really meant. Greg did a great job picking out the week one wins and losses.
    Put it this way the Redskins are gonna have a chance to get the number 1 quarterback in the draft next year and there gonna take it.
    I think they can be good this year but with Snyder as the owner, Haynesworth already getting paid, Jason Campbell as there Qb, and Santana Moss, Randle EL, and Malcolm “Stone Hands” Kelly as there WR’s I dont see it. There only shot at winning a playoff game or 2 is if there defense is #1 this year (its possible) o ya and if they can some how avoid the Eagles, Packers, and Vikings until the NFCCG.
    I do I agree with the Packers and Vikings in the Playoffs with either one of them winning the north and the other in the wildcard. I can See the Saints/Panthers in the South. Also I think your right with the Seahawks. But I think its gonna be the Eagles and Redskins/Giants as the other 2 spots with either one as the east champ and wildcard.
    I agree with the Pats as the East Champs and the lone playoff team from that division, and the same goes for the Chargers in the West. I believe the Titans and the Colts will both make the playoffs with the Colts winning the division. Also Agree Steelers win the North with the Benegals and Raven fighting it out for the last spot. Ultimately I think the Ravens will get it only b/c of the Benegals defense. But I will say it is very possible that the Bengals surprise everyone and beat out the Ravens.
    I think its gonna be the Packers losing to Philly in the NFCCG. The Chargers are gonna finally overcome the Patriots in the AFCCG and Make it to the superbowl but then loose to the Eagles.
    Im an Eagles fan but this is the only season I have ever predicted them to win it all except for the 2003-2004 season. I dunno I just feel it in the air up here the Phillies told William Penn to go F himself for us.

79. meezle says: Sep 10, 2009 6:36 PM

Dildo Baggins,
    I am eagles fan too, and I must say I agree with alot of what you said.
    I’ve said it multiple times, Jason Campbell will surprise everyone this season, as will the skins. They will be in SECOND place in the east behind the eagles, and will get a wildcard.
    They will no way be in the superbowl, but maybe win 1 playoff game.
    I do disagree with you about portis though, I think he is overrated, and I’ve never been a fan.
    Also the eagles have proven that they don’t need Westbrook to be healthy to win, it helps, but this year especially, they don’t need him healthy.
    No way the steelers repeat, sorry guys, not happening

80. meezle says: Sep 10, 2009 6:43 PM

I hate saying it but the skins do have probably the most overlooked player in the league. London Fletcher is a damn monster and with him behind big Al, I’m not looking forward to my Eagles playing them twice a year.
    They swept us last year…

81. Fanamine says: Sep 10, 2009 6:46 PM

Wow, not a single game has been played and many of you, including Florio, have made your totally biased predictions for champion. There is no need to play the games now. I suggest 17 weeks of Sunday “Heidi” marathons. That seems to be appropriate punishment for egomania.

82. UFL FOOTBALL RULES says: Sep 10, 2009 6:54 PM

Obamas Team the Pittsburgh Deviant Steelers will feature Big Baby—- King of the Rapists!
    Go Deviants!!!

83. CurseofBoJackson says: Sep 10, 2009 7:01 PM

Rams raiders SB is not even close to Redskins and Bengals making playoffs predictions, don’t be mad. I personally feel like the Bengals have a tough road to make th playoffs but have enough talent to do it, FOR SURE. Spotted four wins against Ohio teams is a pipe dream, you’ll be lucky to split w/ Cincy, mark the words. As far as the Redskins go, I don’t see anything other than the same situation the Bengals face, A tough division and therefore a tough road to the playoffs. Rhode Kill, Panthers on wild card list, read better…..

84. Fatherball says: Sep 10, 2009 7:02 PM

“I mean, the Giants, Eagles, Cardinals and Panthers were last years Final Four”
    Thats sort of the point with the Redskins. Are they worse than last year? I say no.
    Who did they beat last year? Of that final four, well, the Eagles, twice, and the Cardinals. Their only foe in the south was the Saints; they beat them too.
    They moved the ball better than the Giants and Steelers, they led the league in forced 3 and outs and were 4th in total D. Again, are they better than last year’s team? I say yes. In fact, in the last 5 years the Redskins had a higher ranked offense than 4 of 5 Superbowl winners.
    What the Redskins failed to do in 08 is force turnovers (and they were one of 4 teams without a defensive touchdown) and when they did they had bad luck, which fumbles are anyway. Think about it: the 2008 Steelers and Ravens COMBINED didn’t force as many fumbles as the Jets. Cinn recovered almost 100% of their forced fumbles, the Redskins recovered just under 50%.
    I’ll admit, they SUCKED at scoring points. Not good.
    Are the Skins better than last year? Have to be.
    Will they get more sacks? One would think.
    Do sacks lead to turnovers? Yep.
    Could they be better at scoring points? Maybe.
    Hmmmm….makes you think.

85. Fatherball says: Sep 10, 2009 7:02 PM

“I mean, the Giants, Eagles, Cardinals and Panthers were last years Final Four”
    I’ll admit, they SUCKED at scoring points. Not good.
    Are the Skins better than last year? Have to be.
    Will they get more sacks? One would think.
    Do sacks lead to turnovers? Yep.
    Could they be better at scoring points? Maybe.
    Hmmmm….makes you think.

86. DeeDubb says: Sep 10, 2009 7:03 PM

First and foremost, I’m a Skins fan and I’m laughing at this joke of a prediction by a blatant Skins hater. I can only conclude two things from this utter GARBAGE:
    1. Florio is trying to give his Sheagles reverse karma and using the Skins as his sacrificial lamb
    2. All the Skins fans on here constantly pointing out Florio’s obvious hatred for the Skins has finally struck a nerve.
    It’s probably neither and some desperate attempt to get some extra buzz generated to the site for the new season. The simple fact that this clown doesn’t even have any other NFC east team making it as a wildcard tells you all you need to know. Don’t get me wrong, I believe in my Skins but I’m no homer. Playoffs are realistic but this slop is an embarrassment to REAL journalist.
    Just when I thought you couldn’t get any dumber/obnoxious/delusional you come up with this.
    BRAVO MORON, BRAVO!

87. RaiderChile says: Sep 10, 2009 7:04 PM

Are you kidding me? Redskins in the Super Bowl? What a load. That won’t happen with Zorn as the coach. Are you kidding to get us mad? Albert won’t be enough. That guy won’t play well this year because he got PAID. That’s how it is in the NFL now. 75% of the players play FOR THE MONEY not the game. Farve does it for the game, Brady does it for the game, not signing that huge contract a few years ago and wanted the res “for the team.” Like Seymour, he’ll be a Raider if he’s the highest paid player there. Most of the players are scum bags who beat up girl friends and wives, kill dogs and people crossing the street. The old timers who can’t walk, piss right or forget their grand kids, THEY DID IT FOR THE GAME! The Skins WILL NEVER WIN A TITLE WITH SNYDER OR ZORN AT THE HELM! How’s them apples Florio!

88. Matt says: Sep 10, 2009 7:15 PM

(1) You people gotta be kidding me. No Ohio teams are making it to the playoffs this year. I hate the Ravens and I know they’ve had considerable personnel changes during the offseason, but seriously – the Bengals?
    (2) You’d think that people would learn to quit putting faith in San Diego to do ANYTHING year after year. The only thing that SD has going for it is that none of the other teams in that division know the meaning of the word “defense” (although the Chargers have no room to talk, either). Have fun chalking up the yards and points, guys – sure must be nice to have them come so easily.
    (3) Only 3 NFC teams have won the Super Bowl in the 00s. That number won’t be any higher come the morning of February 8, 2010. Good luck next decade.

89. Jungle Juice says: Sep 10, 2009 7:16 PM

I think the real surprise team will be the Texans.
    We will know week one if the Bengals will be any good. If the O-Line, TE and RBs can keep Palmer clean, the rest of the team is solid.
    Benson runs for 1400 yards this year while teams kick themselves for not grabbing Maualuga.
    Biggest disappointments – the Colts & Patriots.

90. EdgarSnyder says: Sep 10, 2009 7:17 PM

Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. The skins wtf?

91. troll_aikman8 says: Sep 10, 2009 7:18 PM

Of all the NFC East teams, the Redskins have the most problems. It would be the one of the biggest flukes in NFL history if the Redskins get into the playoffs, let a lone win the East.
    No way. You might as well say the Lions will have a winning season.

92. Bigbluefan says: Sep 10, 2009 7:39 PM

WOW NBC has gotten to you just like the network your backing any and every thing that comes out of that sity

93. Brownwood26 says: Sep 10, 2009 7:50 PM

Dude, I’m a Redskins fan and even I know they’ve got a snowball’s chance in hell to win their division, let alone a Super Bowl. Even if Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb and Tony Romo all suffer season ending injuries the Skins would still figure out a way to lose the division.
    That said, if the Cardinals can make a Super Bowl and put a scare into the mighty Steelers, I guess anything is possible…

94. DorkJocks says: Sep 10, 2009 7:59 PM

LOL! The Redskins! I don’t think so! Not with Jason Campbell at QB (Sorry skins fans but he is not the next Doug Williams.)
    PFT your predictions are almost as bad as the DorkJock.com guys!
    Here’s a link to their video, talking predictions!

95. Fatherball says: Sep 10, 2009 8:40 PM

“Of all the NFC East teams, the Redskins have the most problems. It would be the one of the biggest flukes in NFL history if the Redskins get into the playoffs, let a lone win the Eas”
    Least. You mean least right? Again, compare llast year’s teams with this year’s. In that division the Redskins, who lost only starter Shawn Springs (a tough loss), and are completely healthy, have the least negative variation from last year’s squad. The Eagles D is different and dinged (and another d word), the Cowboys lost TO, the Giants lost Plax and are dinged up.
    As for the rest of your hyperbole: 2 of the 4 season had playoffs featuring the Redskins. They’ve won 2 more playoff games than the Cowboys in that time and once more, they swept the Eagle last season.
    I won’t defend the Superbowl pick, but to act like the Redskins are leaps and bound behind the conference is ludicrous. They went 3-3 in the East last year: Are they better or is the division better?

96. CutlerIsACryBaby says: Sep 10, 2009 8:57 PM

What are you smoking?! The Bengals?!?! Wtf…..

97. jimicos says: Sep 10, 2009 9:40 PM

LOUD NOISES!!!

98. TheSleepingGiant says: Sep 10, 2009 10:12 PM

the worst team in the nfc beat is supposed to go to the superbowl? just remember, kids. crack is wack.

99. me21deion says: Sep 10, 2009 10:33 PM

let’s see, who in dc could florio be trying to scam a job,,,rahm (which they have the same verbage and tact, can;t see florio tossing the pill around the oval office) marion berry could be politicking florio for a spot to take over nbc’s world, with a lucrative side venture…nah, i got it – dan snyder’s pub relations director and leopard club grand poobah…ah screw it, he’s been on a 72 hour bender and headed straight for ford field for a shot to run with the lions…may the force be with you

100. Beezer says: Sep 10, 2009 10:38 PM

You are the biggest homer Florio. Last year you predicted that the Giants would miss the playoffs due to the fact that superbowl participants have a history of missing the playoffs the following year. Now you predict the Steelers repeating? The Skins? Hahahaha did the Giants take Jason Campbell out week one?

101. mrmagoo says: Sep 10, 2009 10:55 PM

hayward giablommi says:
    September 10, 2009 4:45 PM
    _____________________
    Did Vox give you his franchise envy when they got their new TV or did it just build up on its own?

102. Chuck says: Sep 10, 2009 10:55 PM

I love the comments from all of you idiots who have your heads so far up your own team’s rear you don’t pay attention to what is going on in the rest of the league.
    Jason Campbell has all the tools to be successful if he is protected and if his receivers are catching the ball. He’s now got a healthy offensive line and emerging young receivers to help Moss and Cooley.
    The Skins also have 7 or 8 games against teams that were in the bottom third of defensive rankings last year. If they go .500 in the tough NFC East and win those 7 or 8 other games, they are a lock for the playoffs.
    They were a top five defense last year. Now they have Albert Haynesworth & Brian Orakpo who will be a rookie of the year candidate.
    They are better in every facet of the game and have a helpful schedule. They are going to open up the offense and score some points. Zorn is going to be fine and stop ragging on Snyder.
    I only wish the writer would have explained his decision to pick the Redskins. Now I hope you learned something. Morons.

103. Fatherball says: Sep 10, 2009 11:56 PM

Chuck nailed it.
    The 2008 Redskins, who played 7 games against playoff teams, went 8-8.
    The 2009 Redskins are better in almost every area of play and they’ve had a year to implement and play under Zorn’s offense. They are a better team with an easier schedule.

104. dmorgan6617 says: Sep 11, 2009 1:16 AM

troll_aikman8 says:
    September 10, 2009 7:18 PM
    No way. You might as well say the Lions will have a winning season.
    Troll, you sir, are an idiot. I suppose if someone had said last year that the Arizona frickin’ Cardinals would be the NFC champs you would have been just as shocked and outraged.
    Dude, the Redskins were 3-0 against the 2 teams that were playing for the NFC championship last year!
    Besides, 2 years ago, the Dolphins were 1-15. Last year, they were 11-5 and were the AFC East champions.
    It’s called parity, people. Welcome to the NFL in the 21st century.

105. Bubbasgotgas says: Sep 11, 2009 5:42 AM

Great, you really do hate the skins, now you jinxed them.

106. Dan Mateus says: Sep 11, 2009 6:53 AM

PATRIOTS VS CHARGERS
    NFC CHAMPIONSHIP
    BEARS VS GIANTS
    SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
    NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

107. Chuck says: Sep 11, 2009 7:55 AM

Just to expand on my recent post. Did anyone bother to look at the Skins’ schedule? Anyone look at how their starters did in the preseason against their opponents starters? Did anyone look at their body of work last year?
    You guys are acting like the Skins were 2-14 last year. They were 8-8 in the toughest division in football. The worst team in the NFC East would likely win the NFC West. Oh, and THAT team went to the Super Bowl last year.
    With any improvement in offense it is not far-fetched to expect the Skins to win three more games and finish 11-5 this season which is what I’m predicting. I’m not predicting the Skins to go to the big dance. But there is not an obvious powerhouse in the NFC, so if the Skins to win their division, there is certainly no reason why they cannot go far in the playoffs.
    As far as the other teams in the NFC East, there are indeed lots of questions. I like the Eagles, but the Skins swept them last year. The Cowboys lost a lot of talent in the offseason who they did not replace. Who is Eli Manning going to throw too?

108. ADL says: Sep 11, 2009 8:31 AM

Man, I am feeling you guys on the breakthrough season for the Redskins. Not sure I am ready to say they go to the Bowl, but I think they have some latent greatness in them. I picked them to go 11-5.
    Here’s how I break it down:

109. ADogDC says: Sep 11, 2009 9:48 AM

Hail to the Redskins……
    I got nothing else…

110. skinsguy says: Sep 11, 2009 12:40 PM

It’s funny that someone earlier was making fun of Jason Campbell and saying he is going to be the next “Doug Williams”. Funny that Doug Williams helped the Redskins win a Super Bowl. So, if that’s the case, then I certainly hope Campbell is the next Doug Williams!

111. cjmrfix says: Sep 11, 2009 5:32 PM

All you Redskins hater’s out there can kiss my @ss!!! Good pick!! for all you who think we suck watch out cause we gonna turn some heads. If you hadn’t forgotten we went 6-2 the first eight last year, but got hurt with o line injury’s the last 8. Oh by the way we where the only ones to beat the eagles twice!! Hail to the Redskins! Hail Victory, Braves on the warpath, Fight for ol’ DC!!

112. thaenigma says: Sep 11, 2009 7:03 PM

Did anyone think the Cards were superbowl bound last year?….no What about the Giants beating the then undefeated Patriots? no I agree with Florio 100%, but he could of said any team that was 8-8 last year or even 7-9 and the beauty of the NFL season beginning is that 0-16 (lions)can turn around to 16-0, Skins had 3 losses that were fluky at best to the Rams, Cowboys, and 49’ers that turns 8-8 to 11-5 real quick with a stop here and a extra yard there, the defense was #4 last year, if Haynesworth stays healthy, the Redskins could stop those fluky losses from happening and be the #1 or #2 D in the NFL.

113. wmphd says: Sep 13, 2009 1:56 PM

Hmmm . . . as a Redskins fan and season ticket holder, I had to chuckle at the prediction. Of course I’d be delighted if it came to pass! Unfortunately I only have confidence in Dan Snyder to sell tickets and sue old ladies (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/02/AR2009090203887.html). IF the ‘Skins are getting anywhere close to a serious run at the SB, look for Dannyboy to do something utterly stupid like bringing Jeff George out of retirement “just in case” we need him.

114. mustbechris says: Sep 14, 2009 12:48 PM

well…your redskins looked solid yesterday, florio.