Polamalu suffers MCL sprain

In the aftermath of the Steelers’ 13-10 overtime win over Tennessee to open the 2009 NFL season, the question that needed answering was how long Troy Polamalu might be lost.

Thankfully for Steelers fans — and, let’s be honest, football fans as a whole — it appears Polamalu will be back this season.  Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said in his postgame press conference that Polamalu suffered an MCL sprain in his left knee when he was rolled into by Tennessee’s Alge Crumpler.

Tomlin said team doctors were still “reading the scans.”  He added that MCL injuries “have a range of three to six [weeks] but that’s speculation at this point.”

Asked if it’s possible it could be a longer-term injury than that, Tomlin said, “I’m sure it’s possible but we don’t have any concrete evidence it’s worse than that.”

The Steelers play at Chicago a week from this Sunday.  They then play the Bengals and Chargers.  If he’s back on the early side, Polamalu would be ready for the next three Pittsburgh games against the Lions, Browns, and Vikings.  If it takes the full six weeks, he may not be back until Week Nine at Denver.  Pittsburgh has a bye in Week Eight.

Permalink 74 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: AFC, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Teams, Top Stories
74 Responses to “Polamalu suffers MCL sprain”
  1. Footba11Joe says: Sep 11, 2009 12:29 AM

Madden curse strikes again. Larry Fitzgerald better watch out.

2. mrmagoo says: Sep 11, 2009 12:29 AM

They definitely need him against Denver. Clark may not play due to his sickle cell trait.

3. CardHock says: Sep 11, 2009 12:30 AM

I think Soul Glo is just saying this and that they have no idea yet if it is torn or not. Tomlin is basically a thug in NFL sideline gear, you can’t trust anything this guy says hes a slime ball.

4. DanSnyder says: Sep 11, 2009 12:31 AM

MADDEN CURSE!!! lol Up next: Fitz

5. briano29 says: Sep 11, 2009 12:32 AM

Big loss for the Steelers. The Defense isn’t the same without him.
    Signed
    Captain Obvious

6. mustbechris says: Sep 11, 2009 12:34 AM

madden curse…

7. luke1982 says: Sep 11, 2009 12:35 AM

The madden curse. Next up, Fitz.

8. Ravenmaniac says: Sep 11, 2009 12:36 AM

Troy is awesome.
    I have never seen a players absence be so obvious as Troys was. The secondary was somewhat porous when he was not in……

9. ReggiesGhost92 says: Sep 11, 2009 12:37 AM

Madden Curse!

10. Kreedos says: Sep 11, 2009 12:37 AM

The Madden Curse strikes again! Get well soon Polamalu!

11. Bears123 says: Sep 11, 2009 12:38 AM

YESSSSS
    The Bears chances of winning that game just shot up haha

12. silenceformasses says: Sep 11, 2009 12:40 AM

The Madden curse is real.

13. Jose Reyes says: Sep 11, 2009 12:40 AM

Madden. Curse.

14. descendency says: Sep 11, 2009 12:47 AM

Polamalu will be out there next week. I’ve really never seen a more manly guy with a more girly voice and hair style.

15. csulb49er says: Sep 11, 2009 12:51 AM

He’s lucky it’s not career ending, considering how much of a fatass Crumpler is these days.

16. BFLOs OWN says: Sep 11, 2009 12:55 AM

THERE GOES THAT MADDEN CURSE!! It never fails, if I was Larry Fitz I would be very careful!!

17. Kiss Bills Rings says: Sep 11, 2009 12:58 AM

I hate the Steelers but Troy is an awesome player…after what happened to Brady, I’m glad it’s not the same for Troy….Hope he’s back on the field soon….GO PATRIOTS!!!

18. BigBaldPapaHawk says: Sep 11, 2009 12:59 AM

He was emasculated by the Heads and Shoulders endorsement…. It was bound to happen.

19. syge says: Sep 11, 2009 1:00 AM
  20. No no Randy says: Sep 11, 2009 1:04 AM

Madden curse?

21. Nathan says: Sep 11, 2009 1:04 AM

Pats fan here wishing Troy the best of luck, hope to see him again later in the year. One of the most talented, classiest players out there who absolutely brings it every single play. A real joy to watch no matter what team he’s playing for. Get well soon.

22. Straight Dirrrty says: Sep 11, 2009 1:07 AM

Madden Curse strikes again

23. Straight Dirrrty says: Sep 11, 2009 1:09 AM

Madden Curse strikes again

24. bears4ever says: Sep 11, 2009 1:11 AM

I hate to see anyone get hurt but this helps out for the bears…….
    GO F’N BEARS!!!!!!

25. RichinMN says: Sep 11, 2009 1:11 AM

The Madden Curse!!

26. Dustin Chandler says: Sep 11, 2009 1:15 AM

FITZGERALD.
    YOU’RE NEXT.
    *vanishes into a cloud of smoke*

27. jasonbowker says: Sep 11, 2009 1:16 AM

I feel bad about his injury, but I guess I’m not surprised…can anybody say “Madden Curse”?

28. Dolphan says: Sep 11, 2009 1:20 AM

Madden curse. it never fails! Brett Favres shoulder last season, now Polamalu. Good luck larry fitzgerald!

29. rolltide says: Sep 11, 2009 1:22 AM

The Madden curse has become a classic American tradition.

30. jts28 says: Sep 11, 2009 1:39 AM

The sudden death coin flip rule is so ridiculous. How many more games like this do we have to see on prime time television before the rule is changed? I’d rather they used any other method. Why not play one more 15 minute period and let that be the final? If it’s a tie at that point, it stays a tie.

31. schadenfreude says: Sep 11, 2009 1:46 AM

Maybe karma for all the take-out-the-knees tackles he made tonight.

32. GiantsDefenseRules says: Sep 11, 2009 1:51 AM

Dear Madden Curse Spirits,
    Now that you have claimed yet another victim this season, please leave Larry Fitzgerald alone.
    Sincerely,
    a Larry Fitz owner in two FFL leagues

33. mnmaverick says: Sep 11, 2009 2:04 AM

That’s a huge loss for them. Polamalu is the leader of that defense.

34. deymond says: Sep 11, 2009 2:33 AM

Don’t give us this feel-good “we’re all fans of Troy Polamalu” crap. You think fans in Baltimore are saying “Golly, I’m sure glad he’ll be back soon, he’s such a swell guy”?

35. PARavensJeff says: Sep 11, 2009 3:14 AM

Ed Reed would have kept playing!!!

36. mnmaverick says: Sep 11, 2009 3:30 AM

You superstitious weenies, there are no such thing as curses.

37. Skeety says: Sep 11, 2009 4:42 AM

Damn, I was gonna comment Madden Cover curse, but i see a ton of people beat me to it. haha

38. Drat says: Sep 11, 2009 4:42 AM

I’m waiting for cocky little jimmy_c to bleat to Florio that in reality Troy has dislocated, not sprained, his knee and that “Maybe you should do a little homework before pretending to know what the hell you’re talking about when it comes to injuries.” Jimmy_c, medical sleuth from hell, are you out there?

39. BradyQuinnsCodPiece says: Sep 11, 2009 5:30 AM

Thankfully for Steelers fans – and, let’s be honest, football fans as a whole – it appears Polamalu will be back this season.
    Please tell me you’re joking Florio. No one but Pitt fans wants to see the Steelers win another god damn thing… I’m sure there are plenty ppl right there with me that hope he is out for the year.

40. BradyQuinnsCodPiece says: Sep 11, 2009 5:33 AM

whoops didnt pay attention to who wrote this before i posted my first comment. Tom Curran is an idot.

41. VoxVeritas says: Sep 11, 2009 5:38 AM

“Thankfully for Steelers fans – and, let’s be honest, football fans as a whole”
    I couldn’t care less either way, to tell you the truth. Is everybody that writes on this site a Steeler fan?

42. FLORIO'S a HOMerrr O says: Sep 11, 2009 5:48 AM

Lets be honest Florio, football fans as a whole (excluding ardent, raging, flaming steeler fans like yourself) could care less whether he comes back this year. He’s a good player and I never want to see anyone get hurt, but as always the game WILL go on. I can’t stand this notion that the sport is severely lessened because of one players’ absence. ‘Next man up’ is the NFL’s mantra. Im sure your steelers’ super bowl from last year means much less because the game as a whole was weakened in lue of Tom Brady’s injury. Yeah i can imagine just how thankful the fans of the other 31 teams were to hear Polumalu’s injury wasn’t season ending. I know when i read this update i thanked my lucky stars. The only people who truly think that way are the die-hard fans of the team which suffered the injury. So when you started the paragraph “Thankfully for Steeler fans” you should have stopped there… cus honestly, the rest of us dont really give a sh*t.

43. killachap says: Sep 11, 2009 6:24 AM

Did anyone notice how reckless he plays the game? He just jumps all over the damn place with his fairy hair flowing in the wind. He committed 3 stupid penalties because he doesn’t know how to play with discipline. The guy has so much raw talent but for some reason doesn’t seem to know how to control it and unleash it properly and legally. Look at how good he has been playing like that, imagine how good he would be if he was more disciplined? And maybe if he cut that fairy “religious” hair of his.
    And if that fat ass Algae Crumpler landed on anyone else’s knee, the knee wouldnt exist.

44. jacked_and_pumped says: Sep 11, 2009 6:42 AM

In a related story, Richard Seymour has yet to report to the Raiders.

45. kravon says: Sep 11, 2009 6:43 AM

To the Bears fans all jazzed up by this injury. You really need to have more faith in your team. What a bunch of losers. Well then again – it is a Chicago team.

46. killachap says: Sep 11, 2009 7:31 AM

@ everyone who is bashing Florio for this article…
    He didn’t write it idiots.

47. KevinFaulk-an-a says: Sep 11, 2009 7:33 AM

It’s lucky that they have the easiest schedule in the NFL.
    On another note, is Big Ben slowly morphing into a giant toad? You can’t blame all of that on a motorcycle accident.

48. Big J says: Sep 11, 2009 7:55 AM

I think Chris Collinworth has a man crush on Polamalu the way Madden does on Farve.

49. EricTheClown says: Sep 11, 2009 8:15 AM

“Maybe karma for all the take-out-the-knees tackles he made tonight.”
    And facemask.
    And late hit.

50. dbartdog says: Sep 11, 2009 8:17 AM

Why is it, when the Stools perpetrate a flagrant foul like the defender who took his helmet off, the officials look the other way…it happens all the time with this team. The officials hold the other team to different standards than the Stools!

51. Bengals Douche says: Sep 11, 2009 8:19 AM

I think everyone has beat the “madden curse” comment to death now. We get the point. Anyway, I couldn’t give two shits less if he’s hurt or not. We are still going to see some quality football from the Shittsburgh Squeelers unfortunately. But this does significantly raise the chances of my Bengals having a chance against them. Can’t want to see my boy Ray and Rivers knock Hines back to 5th grade. I’ll be loving every second of that. Hines better watch out. There’s a bounty on his punk a$$. He’ll be joining TP in the rehab room real soon.

52. kravon says: Sep 11, 2009 8:32 AM

I love when people say lucky.

53. homercles82 says: Sep 11, 2009 8:34 AM

MADDEN CURSES
    stfu people

54. damnitall says: Sep 11, 2009 8:50 AM

@schadenfreude says:
    September 11, 2009 1:46 AM
    ‘Maybe karma for all the take-out-the-knees tackles he made tonight.’

55. i'm president charlie! says: Sep 11, 2009 8:50 AM

Bears fans should worry about Green Bay first. Good luck by the way. I’m really excited to watch that game.

56. 69ers says: Sep 11, 2009 8:55 AM

Crap. I just bought a new Troy jersey for this season. Work it through Troy work it through!!

57. BB_Rocks says: Sep 11, 2009 8:56 AM

Did anyone else mention yet that he was on the cover of Madden? I’ve heard that there is some kind of curse about that. I hope he was the only one on that cover because it sounds like a bad curse. Boo.

58. 69ers says: Sep 11, 2009 8:58 AM

Love Troy, but the Head and Shoulders ad campaign is just gaye.

59. hayward giablommi says: Sep 11, 2009 9:00 AM

Unlike Steeler fans, I don’t pleasure in seeing anyone get injured and miss playing time. I enjoy watching Polamalu play and nothing good comes out of the league’s best standing on the sidelines.
    Unfortunately, most fans are so short sighted that they’d rather their opponent be injured and beat that team at half strength rather than going head to head with the best on the field. Yes, Pittsburgh, I’m looking at you and your reprehensible glee at # 12’s injury last year.
    So get well Troy. The last thing we need is to hear Steeler fans bitching about losing because you weren’t on the field.

60. Bengals Douche says: Sep 11, 2009 9:33 AM

I definitely do not like seeing other players get hurt. But any time someone on the dirtiest team in the league gets hurt, I love it. Karma is a B*^ch. Now it’s Hines’ turn. You’re goin to get it this year son. Child Please!!! lol

61. gooboy6 says: Sep 11, 2009 9:39 AM

Troy is a great player but his injury reminded me of Bo Jackson’s, superstar thinking he is invincible. He just should have dove on that ball

62. Florios-Lawyer says: Sep 11, 2009 9:43 AM

NBD..
    #1) He won’t be out that long.
    #2) Lessee, who’s coming up?
    Bears, Bengals, Chargers, Lions, Browns, Vikings, Broncos… That’s at least 6 guaranteed wins right there, for the second stringers. Plenty of time for TP (and the rest of the team) to rest up for the final stretch.

63. Katmanduu says: Sep 11, 2009 9:46 AM

Bengals Douche….that’s a funny name. You must be Chad 85, as he is clearly the biggest douche in the league. Dude has done NOTHING in the NFL, and the media falls all over themselves in bowing down to that jerk.

64. Kidekk says: Sep 11, 2009 9:46 AM

I don’t believe in curses.
    I also don’t believe in ghosts, monsters, or zombies. But if you watch enough scary movies, you’re still scared of them.
    Madden Curse.

65. Kidekk says: Sep 11, 2009 9:49 AM

“I agree with the karma angle, especially after watching troy take that Tennesee player out at the shins, THREE YARDS OUT OF BOUNDS.”
    He was already in the motion of making the tackle, unless you want him to stop himself in midair. They called it based on the result, not the intent.

66. topcide says: Sep 11, 2009 10:23 AM

killachap says:
    September 11, 2009 6:24 AM
    actually numb nuts, he has long hair becasue it is a polynesian tradition, it had nothing to do with religion.

67. killachap says: Sep 11, 2009 10:27 AM

@ Big J
    Haha, Collinsworth has a crush on Hines Ward. All he did the entire game was talk about how “he is one of the bes Wr’s of all time” which is absurd to anyone who knows anything about football. He wouldn’t get off of Ward’s dick much like Madden did with Favre or McNabb

68. Bengals Douche says: Sep 11, 2009 10:37 AM

“Katmanduu says:
    September 11, 2009 9:46 AM
    Troy Boy is going to be fine. It’s a 4 week injury that looked more like 4 years when it happened. Good thing he has the flexibility of Plastic Man.”
    I’m not Chad. If you notice in one of my other posts on another topic I note that I don’t condone Chad’s antics and I think this team would be better w/o his distractions. Anyway, if you visit whodeyrevolution.com, you’ll see why my name is Bengals Douche. I’ve grown up with the Bengals, I can’t root for another team. So therefore I’m a Bengals Douche. I’m stuck. And I hate the Squeelers with a passion.

69. footballnut says: Sep 11, 2009 12:02 PM

Wow, I guess I’ll be the fourth Pats fan on here wishing Troy isn’t out for too long. As much as I hate the Steelers and as much as this helps other teams with him out it just shows how great of a player this guy is.
    Love to watch this guy play, but at times I have to envision he is in another NFL uniform other than the Steelers, but still…
    See Steeler fans, even Pats fans can be classy about injuries unlike your joyful glee when #12 was out last year.
    I will even go this far…the PI penalty was completely bogus and the late hit on Brown out of bounds was tough as well. He was already committed to the tackle just before Brown stepped out. You have to flag it as the contact was made after Brown was out, but in no way was that a dirty hit.
    Either way, football is back and I am ecstatic!

70. i'm president charlie! says: Sep 11, 2009 2:30 PM

Lots of stereotyping of fanbases here.
    I’m a steelers fan and i have the upmost respect for Tom Brady (regardless of how many times he beat Pitt in championship games). I actually had the chance to meet him in person right after the Pats beat the Steelers in the AFC championship game a few years back. I shook his hand, told him I was a Steelers fan and had the upmost respect for him as a person and a player. He was very respectful towards me and my family. I was upset when he went down last year.
    Saying that every fanbase thinks this and that is only showing your stupidity. Every fan base has respectful and disrespectful fans.

71. footballnut says: Sep 11, 2009 4:06 PM

Well I am glad my stupidity finally had a Steeler fan come out and say that about Brady…have you seen comments here by your fellow fans regarding Brady, especially when his injury hit last year?
    And I totally agree with your last line by the way…It was just strange how many Pats fans were positive regarding Troy on this particular thread when to be quite frank have never seen that many Steelers fans on a Pats thread said the same in return. That’s what prompted my comment…

72. radrntn says: Sep 12, 2009 12:23 PM

that’s sad, he will never be the same…RIP

73. The Real Shuxion says: Sep 12, 2009 6:22 PM

# VoxVeritas says: September 11, 2009 5:38 AM
    “Thankfully for Steelers fans – and, let’s be honest, football fans as a whole”
    ——————————————————
    About 90% of the posters and 100% of the retards are Steeler fans.

74. cfuska says: Sep 14, 2009 10:45 AM

Once again, Hayward, your stupidity and jealousy knows no bounds. As far as The Real Shuxion is concerned, how many super bowls has your team won? Sour grapes, people, sour grapes.