Eagles put Shawn Andrews on IR

Well, the good news is that the Eagles won’t have to trade receiver Hank Baskett in order to create a roster spot for Jeff Garcia.

The bad news is that Shawn Andrews won’t participate in a single regular-season snap this year for the Eagles — he has been placed on injured reserve.

The move means that Andrews will have played in only two games in two years, and it will raise questions as to whether he’ll ever play for the Eagles again.  He suffered a back injury during a Week Two Monday-nighter in Dallas, and he didn’t return at any point during the rest of the regular season or the postseason.

The injury came after he spent most of the training camp AWOL, due to a bout of clinical depression.

This year, his back flared up early in training camp.  He eventually returned, but then the injury popped up again, and that was that.

Last week, the Eagles brought in veteran Jon Runyan for a workout.  Runyan also has visited the Chiefs and the Bills.

So it still might be wise for the Eagles to trade Baskett, in order to create a roster spot for Runyan.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Injuries, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
28 Responses to “Eagles put Shawn Andrews on IR”
  1. killwithme says: Sep 15, 2009 10:00 AM

Damion Sackintosh is available…

2. Eaglesruuule says: Sep 15, 2009 10:07 AM

What a pitiful waste… I hope it’s his back and not his mind.

3. dawk20db says: Sep 15, 2009 10:13 AM

I’m not much a conspiracy theorist, but it seems as though this will likely be the end of the line for the big kid in Philly. Hopefully Justice builds on a pretty darn good showing last week.

4. DanielJ says: Sep 15, 2009 10:14 AM

Florio- you have bashed the way the Eagles have signed players like Andrews to long term deals, floating good money up front, even if the deal will stink down the road….do you think Andrews is complaining about taking that deal now?

5. Outsyder says: Sep 15, 2009 10:16 AM

Justice played fine against one established DE (Peppers) and a 1st round talent rookie (Brown). They won’t be picking up Runyan because he won’t accept a backup position.
    Don’t be surprised if Andrews is gone.

6. Route36West says: Sep 15, 2009 10:18 AM

I cant stand him anymore. I was really hoping he was done with all this stuff and believed he was. He is a disappointment he has wasted his potential . I dont believe the back problems for a second. I think he just doesnt have the heart for the game anymore. As soon as he misses one mini camp, OTA, or training camp practice after this season he should be cut. I dont care if he goes on to be a 10 time pro-bowler for another I dont want him around.

7. dseidman82 says: Sep 15, 2009 10:20 AM

Shawn will NEVER play a snap for the Eagles again. I disagree with the comments from people saying that the Eagles should cut ties with him, but now I am with them. He could of and should of been a GREAT tackle/guard in this league. Do you think we start putting the BUST label on him? What do you all think

8. Quagmire says: Sep 15, 2009 10:21 AM

It’s time to draft a replacement for this dud in April.
    When he plays he can dominate…problem is that it’s the 2nd wasted year in a row. Even brought his brother in to baby sit.
    Get Runyan for the rest of the season.

9. VeteranStadium says: Sep 15, 2009 10:22 AM

Fat ish baby. Go be depressed. I hope you never wear an Eagles uniform again. Where you at Big Jon

10. Unnamed Source says: Sep 15, 2009 10:25 AM

Maybe ron mexico can play tackle. We all know, including the eagles, that he can’t play qb.

11. Mr Krinkle says: Sep 15, 2009 10:28 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if Andrews comes out and says he could have played again this season, and this move was just the Eagles way of saying don’t worry about it Shawn, we don’t need you. If that is the case, I will forgive the Eagles for the way they treated Dawkins.

12. NoFootballtalk says: Sep 15, 2009 10:32 AM

What the hell, man. Shawn Andrews has to be the most fragile player on the Eagles (an honor previously held by Lito Sheppard). They’d better trade him. They seem to do fine without him. I guess they can look to improve Winston Justice, or they can find some young talent in the draft. Big Jon would be great for now, though. Hopefully they get a 1st rounder or something if they trade Shawn, because when he’s healthy, he’s one of the best linemen in the league.

13. d-rob28 says: Sep 15, 2009 10:33 AM

The big kid is one of my fav players so it pains me to see this. That being said it maybe time to cut bait with this guy. It becomes a situation where you more of a hindrance to the rest of the team then doing them any good. Two time pro bowlers are useless playing wii at home on the couch..

14. dawk20db says: Sep 15, 2009 10:37 AM

Well said DanielJ
    dseidman82 – Can a pro bowl player be considered a bust? He helped the Eagles win a lot of games.

15. jan van flac says: Sep 15, 2009 10:52 AM

It’s a shame…when healthy he has been dominant. But back problems are no joke especially when you weigh 300+. For all these fools making fun of his mental state, I bet you wouldn’t last 5 minutes in an NFL practice without ending up in an ambulance.

16. Smush Rodrigez says: Sep 15, 2009 11:07 AM

Mr Krinkle says:
    September 15, 2009 10:28 AM
    ***
    I do think this is what happened. Andy is just done with dealing with it and is saying screw it – i am moving on. BTW, love the Primus reference.

17. P2 says: Sep 15, 2009 11:16 AM

Come on NoFootballtalk!
    Andrews has no trade value anymore. Maybe you could get a 4th-6th for him, but I’m not even positive about that. Who wants to waste the time on a guy who hasn’t played in years (emphasis on the plural there). There is nothing recent to look at on film to make a team think, “This guy still has it!” This really just sucks. I wish that I had given up on him before.
    Shawn Andrews can’t be considered a bust in the classic sense because he has been successful in this league. However, he is a bust when measured against his potential. He was certainly one of the most agile guards in the league. I will miss him pancaking linebackers up the field.
    Is it just me or are offensive linemen turning into primadonnas?

18. straverse says: Sep 15, 2009 11:17 AM

Its about time, its been pretty obvious for a long time now that his back wasn’t going to hold up for a season.

19. Birdsfan84 says: Sep 15, 2009 11:36 AM

Its hard for your back to heal when you have no heart… Shawn andrews is a freakin joke! We need to have his brother just kick the ever living crap out of him till he has no more tears to cry over his depression… because he has such a tough life remember… its about to get tougher to as he goes and gets his michael phelps on. A blind deaf midget could write a better song and beat. Go Winston Justice!

20. Smush Rodrigez says: Sep 15, 2009 11:39 AM

NoFootballtalk says:
    September 15, 2009 10:32 AM
    ****
    You, my friend, are crazy. They will not be able to trade him! THey will be able to cut him and sue him to repay money and that is it.
    “Big Jon” would be a fine backup to Winston Justice.
    They will definitely draft someone next year.
    I wonder if they wish they took Otah instead of trading the pick for Kolb…. I sure do!

21. gonuts says: Sep 15, 2009 11:41 AM

Imagine how bad his back hurt carrying around his brothers big load of cash when he signed. His long term contract is exactly what is making his back hurt. Imagine how much better it will feel if he gets released and can hunt down a big time contract in an uncapped year. WOW! So if you talk about Shawn, you have to talk about Sheldon. How can this guy not get a raise after week 1? 2 pic’s and incredible play, I believe better than Samuels because he’s a corner who hits like a Safety. Did you see Samuels try to shoulder tackle on third and short. He bounced off like Ryan Moats hitting a 275lb D-end….like a rag doll.

22. Bill In DC says: Sep 15, 2009 11:48 AM

NoFootballtalk,
    “Hopefully they get a 1st rounder or something if they trade Shawn,…”
    ROFLMAO. Are you serious?

23. Smush Rodrigez says: Sep 15, 2009 11:53 AM

gonuts says:
    September 15, 2009 11:41 AM
    ****
    Sheldon is the best player on the defense (along with Trent Cole).

24. dawk20db says: Sep 15, 2009 11:56 AM

gonuts, really? better than samuel? puff puff pass my friend.

25. Bwa Ha Ha says: Sep 15, 2009 12:24 PM

Superman, sitting in the whirlpool, and suckin on a freeze pop does you no good on gameday. Good decision from Andy to IR him, I suspect they would like to cut him, but I’ll guess the cap hit is an issue. Now, turning attention to Kolb, if you don’t see that this week is your last chance, you are not paying attention. Better make the best of it

26. silver-bleak says: Sep 15, 2009 1:24 PM

Well, Shawn Andrews might be the next Darrell Russell. Both two time Pro-Bowlers and one time 1st team All-Pros. I wouldn’t call them BUSTS just disappointments.
    Now, his potential replacement–if they choose to go outside the organization–why not Mark Tauscher. He’s 4 years younger than Runyan. Both of which, had the same surgery.

27. VoxVeritas says: Sep 15, 2009 1:24 PM

Well that’s it. Ratliff broke Andrews in all three phases… mind, body, and spirit. Nice 16th overall pick, Eagirls.

28. P2 says: Sep 15, 2009 4:24 PM

Vox,
    Query? Who needs Andrews when you can beat Dallas 44-6 without him?