Lions looking to add a little Spicer?

The Lions got gashed to the tune of 143 yards by Saints backup running back Mike Bell two days ago.

Five days from now the Lions face Minnesota’s Adrian Peterson who, it would be safe to say, is a step up in class from Bell.

With that in mind, Detroit is flipping through their Rolodex (a reference as dead as “dropping a dime” or “get me rewrite”) trying to find someone to help up front.

According to John Niyo at the Detroit News they are hosting former Jaguars defensive end Paul Spicer today.

Cut by the Saints at the end of preseason, cut by Jacksonville back in February, the 34-year-old Spicer may not have much left. But the Lions — who allowed New Orleans to convert nearly 70 percent of their third downs the other day — can’t get stuck in second-and-2 all day against the Vikings and expect to win.

Having not won a game since 2007, Detroit probably isn’t exactly expecting to win anyway, but you know what we mean. Niyo says “nothing is imminent.”

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, NFC, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
16 Responses to “Lions looking to add a little Spicer?”
  1. slipkid says: Sep 15, 2009 1:40 PM

“IT IS CORRECTABLE.”
    that’s the lions’ new mantra!

2. Eric Hipple says: Sep 15, 2009 1:50 PM

It’s just hilarious that this sad-sack franchise went 0-16, had the worst defense in the history of football and used both of its first-round picks on offensive players. After finally firing Matt Millen and not even conducting outside interviews for the vacant GM position. If you think Matt Stafford’s your franchise QB, I’m fine with that. But blowing the second pick on Brandon Pettigrew was a joke of epic proportions. This franchise still has no clue.

3. TrueFan says: Sep 15, 2009 1:57 PM

I am a “bleed purple” Vikings fan and not one of the fair-weather types who gives up when they are doing bad.
    But I will say this. I actually fear this game. The Vikings have show in the Childress era a penchant for “playing down” to the level of their competition and got out of Detroit BARELY with their skin last year.
    Unless the offense plays better than it did against lowly Cleveland for the first 3 quarters (and the defense stops giving up so many passing yards) I would not be at ALL surprised to see them stumble here and Detroit end their losing streak.
    I LOVE my Vikes, but I’m not convinced yet. Favre did not add anything to that offense last week except avoiding a TJ style wild “jump pass” into coverage.

4. JohnWayne506th says: Sep 15, 2009 2:08 PM

You realize Peterson has never burned up the Lions D, even last year when they had the 2nd worst D of all time. In 4 games vs Detroit he has only gained 398yds with his best game being 116yds.

5. cojoe says: Sep 15, 2009 2:49 PM

Ha, ha. I get it. The Lions are bad. Truly hilarious joke in the last paragraph. You guys should go on a comedy tour…

6. det32 says: Sep 15, 2009 2:55 PM

Eric Hipple
    you are a retard yea they had the wrost d last year but allso had one of the wrost OFF so they need players on bouth sides of the ball and with the draft not have as much talent at it usely does what do you expect
    AP never does vary good agenst the lions donno why but that was one of are few bright spots last year shuting down one of the best backs in the nfl atm

7. Mav69r says: Sep 15, 2009 3:00 PM

How about lighting a fire under Cliff Avril’s butt and getting him back to the form he was last year… why were the DE’s so far from the play against the Saints? And if the QB steps up into the pocket, isn’t the DT’s supposed to collapse and destroy?
    That was the problem, poor DL communication and execution. Mainly because we are starting 1 rookie (Sammie Hill), 1 second year player (Avril) and at best back ups on other teams.
    Why didn’t we get into the game of giving NE a #1 for a DT/DE? That guy looked AMAZING on Monday night, without even practicing with the Raiders…

8. DCViking says: Sep 15, 2009 3:30 PM

I love it when you “shut down” a running back by holding him to a mere 99.5 yards / game as the Lions have done with AP.
    I guess he doesn’t break the century mark, so its OK…
    However, given last years struggles with Detroit, I to fear this game…at a minimum, it’s the law of averages, Detroit HAS to win some time…

9. illitchplzbuylions says: Sep 15, 2009 3:48 PM

Pettigrew was a terrible pick. If you’re going to draft a franchise QB then you think you would want to get him some protection like the most nfl ready LT coming out of the draft who fell into the lions lap (see Oher, Michael).

10. Eric Hipple says: Sep 15, 2009 3:48 PM

det32,
    Are you Martin Mayhew? You can admit it…

11. Nevisyakker says: Sep 15, 2009 3:49 PM

Every fan has reason to fear every game. Stuff happens. The ball has points on both ends and it bounces weird sometimes.
    That being said, if the Vikings lose to the Lions Sunday it would be a HUGE blow to a team that has honest thoughts about challenging for a title.
    Peterson hasn’t realy gone off on Detroit, so maybe he is due. They (Detroit) should have equipped their d-line with bull fighter capes last week so they could yell OLE! when Mike Bell (who?) ran past them.

12. fastfred21 says: Sep 15, 2009 4:09 PM

no need for concern vikes fans–you know that if the lions show a glimmer of hope the refs will jump on it and squash it…you know—Hey look at that glimmer—what did I miss?

13. Nevisyakker says: Sep 15, 2009 5:11 PM

to fastfred21
    Yeah, the refs screwed the Lions big time last year and took away what should have been a win and saved them from plenty of misery. The late interferance call was one of the worst ever. As a Vikings fan I kind of thought “it’s about time one went our way” but it sucks to be on the short of that kind of deal.

14. Time4skool says: Sep 16, 2009 12:22 PM

det32 – did you really call Eric Hipple a “retard” while at the same time misspelling “against” as “agenst” and “both” as “bouth”?
    Do you need me to connect the dots of irony here? I’m not usually one who breaks out the grammar book but your poor use of grammar in conjunction with your lack of football sense compelled me to do so. If you disagree with the dude, that’s fine but to jump to name calling when you don’t even know the guy is a bit excessive. I’m guessing that if you were sitting next to him in a bar, your tone would be much different. Please don’t be an anonymous coward.

15. Time4skool says: Sep 16, 2009 12:23 PM