Giants kick tires on tailbacks

With the departure of Derrick Ward and injuries hampering the New York Giants’ backfield, their Tuesday tryouts included visits from veteran tailbacks.

Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, Dominic Rhodes and T.J. Duckett worked out for the Giants.

Rhodes was a surprise cut by the Bills before the season.  It was presumed he’d have a spot on the roster, given the three-game suspension being served by starter Marshawn Lynch.

Duckett found himself bounced out of Seattle, given the arrival of Edgerrin James.

UPDATE:  Neither will likely be signed, because as Rosenthal pointed out yesterday the Giants claimed Gartrell Johnson on waivers.  I’m bracing for the e-mail from Rosenthal that says, “Thanks for reading PFT.”

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
9 Responses to “Giants kick tires on tailbacks”
  1. southpaw330 says: Sep 16, 2009 9:43 AM

Another disgusting and absolutely inaccurate post. The Giants worked out these players before being awarded Gatrell Johnson off waivers from San Diego. That you already noted the Giants addition of Johnson makes this even more despicable. Again, I stress, maintenance of this site requires absolute perfection and no mistakes can be accepted. Please cease operation of this site immediately.

2. kravon says: Sep 16, 2009 9:44 AM

I played against TJ Duckett last week in our flag football league. Lets just say he is big fan of the half-pound burritos at Taco Bell.

3. Levito says: Sep 16, 2009 9:45 AM

Florio, pay attention to your own site. Rosenthall already reported that the Giants signed Gartrell Johnson yesterday:
    There was no chance Rhodes or Duckett were going to be signed. The Giants want a RB that will contribute on special teams and can fill in at RB if either Jacobs or Bradshaw get hurt.

4. CREEP says: Sep 16, 2009 9:50 AM

Maybe the Raiders can tempt the Giants with Huggy Bear Jr. (Justin Fargas)?

5. mustbechris says: Sep 16, 2009 11:29 AM

I love PFT.

6. Nevisyakker says: Sep 16, 2009 11:51 AM

To all who insist upon perfect form and accurate journalism from PFT; I don’t believe this site has ever suggested that they were going to be free of errors in either ideas or text. It is a fast paced pro-football gossip site that slams out rumors and throws in some facts. I read it because it is FUN….if I want hard news I’ll read the NY Times, not that they are all that accurate or without bias either, but you get the idea.
    Still, I think it is fairly amazing that the staff at PFT often do scoop ESPN, etc. with breaking stories.
    Hey Florio, you’re not perfect! But then, who is? Until you do attain that unquestioned level of perfection in all things, THANKS for bringing some insight into what is going on in the NFL and providing some enjoyment in the midst of my otherwise routine day.

7. Al Bundy says: Sep 16, 2009 12:02 PM

The should bring back Tiki!

8. favrecansuckit says: Sep 16, 2009 12:35 PM

southpaw330 is a tool

9. southpaw330 says: Sep 16, 2009 1:33 PM

favrecansuckit, the fact remains that I am an absolute and unquestioned wizard of all things the NFL. The day you become a wizard, we can hash this out. Until, then continue to sit back and defer all judgement to the true wizard. In fact, I envy your position of being able to relax and drink in the sheer wonder that my wizardry provides you with. You will always be a fan who looks up to Florio. I, however, will always be a wizard of enormous proportions. You may call me names if you wish but the breadth of your ignorance stands is surpassed only by my wizardry.