Shawn Andrews responds to fan criticism

Eagles offensive lineman Shawn Andrews is going to miss another season because of his back woes, and a lot of folks in Philadelphia aren’t happy it.

Thanks to modern conveniences like Twitter and Andrews’ Youtube account, the fans can let him know directly.  (Well, sort of directly.  Hard to believe anyone would say this stuff to his face.)

The Philadelphia Inquirer does a good job summarizing the anger, which includes comments like this one, posted Wednesday:

“Good riddance.  Thanks for the one Pro Bowl year!  I hope your brother prove’s more of a man than the baby you turned out to be.  Go cry about your contract to another team, SCRUB.”

And that’s one of the nicest ones.

Andrews responded by trying to kill with kindness.  “Lol . . . You guys are harsh,” Andrews wrote. “I won’t let what you guys say offend/control me. I hope you
guys never experience what I have. It’s not my fault my back is jacked
right now. It’s fine that you guys don’t care about my health [that] is
fine.

“I hustle for my family man. I appreciate your concerted efforts
to berate me, but @ the end of the day we are all human. GOD Bless each
of you guys, and may he remove all the negative energy from you guys. .
.;)”

Andrews also Tweeted that he’s not able to pick up his son and sent a thank you to Eagles coach Andy Reid for his support.  “BIG RED.. I love you man,” Andrews wrote.

Some of the fan criticism may be indirectly egged on by the team.

As pointed out by the Inquirer, the Eagles teams website read yesterday: “Despite receiving medical clearance from back specialist Dr. Robert
Watkins late in the summer, Andrews was unable to overcome back pain to
get on the field in the days leading up to the opening game of the
regular season in Carolina.”

That sounds rather close to putting the blame all on Andrews.  It appears they have changed the copy on their article slightly in the meantime.

When asked about the issue Wednesday, Reid said Andrews had a “sore back” and the decision to place him on injured reserve was for medical reasons only.

The team did say it was clear Andrews was “not healthy to play” and there may have been “irregularities” in a recent MRI on Andrews’ back.

The decision may have been made easier because right tackle Winston Justice did a capable job filling in for Andrews in Week One.

And there is a sense that Andrews may never come back, at least with the Eagles organization.  Some of his tweets Tuesday sounded like he was saying goodbye.

Andrews thanked Reid for “trusting in me, and assisting me w/ my debacles along the way.  It’s funny how u never know who may help you along (t)he way . . .
Dang near looked @ him sorta like a father I never had . . . Will never
forget you,” Andrews said.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Injuries, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Shawn Andrews responds to fan criticism”
  1. Rickah99 says: Sep 16, 2009 1:23 PM

In this economy there has been one constant…if you can’t get the job done, there is a long line of replacements right behind you. Best of luck!

2. Big Stretch says: Sep 16, 2009 1:24 PM

Philly fans are the worst, they are slao probably loving that McNabb got hurt so the dog killer came save the day.

3. Bill In DC says: Sep 16, 2009 1:26 PM

LOL, I guess I have more understanding about the Eagles fans who were applauding and cheering when Irvin was laying on the tuff in Philly wondering if he was going to walk again. Heck, they treat their OWN players like that.
    Andrews is 100% correct, back injuries, especially disk problems are not a matter of ‘sucking it up’ and playing through pain.
    Way to go Philly fans, class act as always.

4. Mr. Chris Carter says: Sep 16, 2009 1:26 PM

Peace

5. MastaFace says: Sep 16, 2009 1:29 PM

Get off his back, man

6. doe22us says: Sep 16, 2009 1:32 PM

Good response Shawn and the rest of the ignorant eagle fan base get a life. Get well soon

7. Cadibart says: Sep 16, 2009 1:36 PM

WOW and I thought Browns fans could be harsh (throwing bottles and batteries) but Philly…you guys take the cake (probably with a bat)

8. Bwa Ha Ha says: Sep 16, 2009 1:41 PM

I was at the game that Irvin got hurt. The fans were reacting to that bonehead Deion Sanders pretend to be Jesus act. The laying on of the hands was what the booing was all about.
    As far as Shawn goes, he can’t play for whatever the reason, and the roster spot should not be wasted, as it was last season when he had the same problem. Sometimes it is time to sheit or get off the pot

9. The Assman says: Sep 16, 2009 1:45 PM

way to go Big Stretch, you almost made your comment understandable. one comment does not speak for all of the Eagles’ fans. Bill in DC, I assume you’re a Redskins fan, and I can tell you that not all Eagles fans are pricks. The loudest always get heard, and usually these are people that don’t even know what “first down” means. These are the same people that think Kevin Kolb is gonna take this team to the Super Bowl. I’m sure “Mr. Chris Carter” is an Eagles fan, yet he doesn’t even know how to spell Cris Carter’s name correctly. However, there are is a substatial amount of Eagles fans that do understand football. So, Bill in DC, will you be a ‘class act’ while watching the Eagles in the playoffs while the Redskins are looking at QB’s in the draft?

10. BleedGreen says: Sep 16, 2009 1:49 PM

I’m not hating on him because he’s hurt, I’m hating on him because he’s seemed lazy and consistently crying about something.
    First its depression, so that you don’t have to goto camp. Then because you’re not in camp, and you’re not conditioned properly, you get hurt in the first game. Then you get ‘recovered’ and the first play in camp, you get hurt. Then you come back and practice one day and are hurt again. All the while you’re whining about your contract and how you want more money. You don’t get paid to sit around.
    Anquan Boldin is doing it ‘the right way’. You can whine all you want, but show up and train, practice, and play at a high level.
    Again, not hating on Shawn as a person. Hating on Shawn as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles that paid him to do something he hasn’t done in 2+ years now. They signed your brother, and traded for Peters because these guys would help you mentally and encourage you. Instead, you show up out of shape and get hurt.

11. Big Stretch says: Sep 16, 2009 1:56 PM

sorry ASSMAN i misspelled also, good thing i’m not a secretary now go get me some coffee

12. buzlytyear says: Sep 16, 2009 1:59 PM

oh lord oh lord save us from the mean evil Philly fans for Philly is the only place where bad things happen…give me a break…

13. d-rob28 says: Sep 16, 2009 2:01 PM

Birds fans are separated into two distinct categories. 50% of us have a true understanding of the team and what’s going on with them, cheer and boo but overall support the team because we love them. 25% whom are casual fans that support them and are indifferent they support them when there good and can do without them bad. Last but not least, 25% whom will complain about them no matter what, and wont be happy no matter what. Unfortunately this is the loudest majority. These are the ones that get talked about anytime something bad is said or done(If I hear that someone threw snowballs at santa again im gonna puke). Bottom line, the players are human, they just wear a football uniform on Sundays. They have the same flaws as us, there just magnified because of who they are. I wish you the best shawn while I’m pissed your not playing as a fan, as a human I hope all is well with you.
    P.S Im as critical on the birds as the next man but,
    the only person they let go that came back to hurt them was D Burgess. They rest (even B-Dawk see NFC championship circa 08) Were past there prime.

14. T-Money says: Sep 16, 2009 2:04 PM

Two things –
    First if a guy is hurt, then he is hurt, not much you can do about that, but my problem with Andrews is that he does not even seem the least bit disappointed that his season is over. It is clear that he does not care about football.
    Second – I was also at the Eagles/Cowboys game when Irvin got hurt and the Philly fans were absolutely cheering that he got hurt. It had nothing to do with Deion Sanders. They cheered from the moment he went down.

15. Hap says: Sep 16, 2009 2:04 PM

Can’t say that I blame Andrews for his tone. I don’t think the guy wants to be out. He has been harshly criticized. I wonder if the Eags are gonna let the tail wag the dog and give in to fan sentiment, or if they’ll eventually release him because he’s been undependable. At any rate, he may be “feeling free with Philadelphia freedom”. It was such a nice story with the “Philly /Brotherly love” thing before it went awry. Later.

16. JoeSchmoe says: Sep 16, 2009 2:07 PM

Becoming an offensive lineman is basically like saying “I’m going to volunteer my body to becoming crippled for a few years of very high pay”. We don’t know how those years that bring on the pains that these guys are going to pan out. I say it’s the biggest crap shoot position in the NFL. Moreso than RB. Guys that can play O-Line for 10+ years in the NFL amaze me.
    Get over it Eagle fan… things don’t always pan out as you would dream. People get hurt in the most violent sport in the world. Shizz happens.

17. Mr Krinkle says: Sep 16, 2009 2:08 PM

“”Sorry, first time watching Cheech and Chong. Friggin’ hilarious . . . This is my new best movie.”
    That’s what he posted yesterday after news broke that he would miss the season.
    Also, why is the word “sex” in the tags for all of his youtube videos? The word “bong” also appears a few times.

18. ec3420 says: Sep 16, 2009 2:10 PM

It would be nice if you losers commenting on how Eagles fans act actually new WTF you were talking about.Go hide behind your computers, 10 people post negative responses about andrews and all you losers group this into every fan which shows you have no knowledge of what you are talking about. The bottom line is he let the team down, nobody wished him nothing but the best for the last year he was on IR and now this shocker so figure us for having a pulse.

19. Sasquash says: Sep 16, 2009 2:45 PM

Eagles fans are rude, crude, and crazy. Thats why I love being one. To hell with the rest of you! I cheered when Irvin got hurt and wish I could have thrown a battery at him. Hes a scum bag human being, and I had no problem with my brothers and sisters booing that peice of trash. As for Andrews I am sad, hes a good kid thats alittle lost. Got all the talent in the world but I question his passion for the game. His back is a muscle condition from what I read, and there is no reason a year plus that it shouldn’t be better. I’ve had back problems both structure and muscle problems. You may not ever be 100 percent but muscle problems tend to be from being lazy. Bad posture, bending over to pick something up instead of bending the knees, and not properly rehabbing and stretching every day will keep muscle problems an issue. I feel he was lazy in rehabbing and stretching every day. I think thats why we have an issue with him. If it ends up being structure damage to his back then I am sorry for questioning his heart. I also wish they would reconsider bringing back Jon Runyan. The man is everything Andrews isn’t, and thats what we need now.

20. Mike Loves The UFL says: Sep 16, 2009 2:46 PM

The death of the Eagle franchise…

21. straverse says: Sep 16, 2009 2:48 PM

The fan’s have been getting WAY out of line with this. I’d love to see some of them go out there with an injured back and try to protect a QB against the DLs of the NFC east.

22. BirdFanInBearLand says: Sep 16, 2009 2:49 PM

To all the nitwits from cities other than Philly:
    Here is a newsflash for you – You have jackass fans in your city also who do and say assinine things! Stop dragging out the old line about Philly is the worst and has the worst fans. It’s lazy. Snowballs at Santa, that’s an original one. Do some real analysis or shut your mouth.

23. EskinSux says: Sep 16, 2009 2:49 PM

I said it before and I’ll say it again…….For whatever reasons, heart, back, head, he simply doesn’t want to play…He simply doesn’t want to play football..No big deal…Not going to bash him cause he doesn’t want to play, not going to kiss his ass til he decides he wants to play either…..Move on……And to those who think calling Philly fans the worst or whatever, do you actually think you saying that makes a difference?….If they cared what you thought, they’d post a whiny little “i’m a better fan than you” post and be exactly like you…..no one cares….

24. DildoBaggins says: Sep 16, 2009 2:56 PM

He used the word debacles
    LOL

25. Phili says: Sep 16, 2009 2:57 PM

Oh here we go.. Philly fans are evil, they throw snowballs, and batteries, and cheer when people get hurt, and boo Santa, and… and… blah, blah, blah.
    Yea, we voice our opinion, we don’t just clap politely or say whatever you want is fine with us. When we see someone dogging it we call them on it as fast as we celebrate people like Shane Victorino and Chase Utley and Brian Westbrook when the throw themselves out there and bust their ass for their teammates and their fans.
    Andrews let the team and the city down. If at the end of last year or even before the start of training camp he came out and said, “I don’t know it’s my back and it’s bad” there would have been no big deal, but no the man swore up and down that he was ready, and then first day of camp, first drill he’s out. Let me tell you this if he had say, I’m sorry I tried but it’s not happening, nobody would have batted an eyelash, but he strung us along while he made stupid You Tube rap videos an basically acted like an ass. I’m glad he’s not going to be around anymore… maybe now he can take his money and get the hell out of town.

26. Smush Rodrigez says: Sep 16, 2009 3:24 PM

Bwa Ha Ha says:
    September 16, 2009 1:41 PM
    ****
    I was there too and I agree with that assesment.

27. Mud Hens says: Sep 16, 2009 3:56 PM

There’s no question that Runyan would be playing right now with whatever pack pain Andrews is experiencing. He played with pain most of his career and never missed a start. And I would bet he plans to play this year knowing his knees are going to hurt.
    The difference is that Runyan is a mean, nasty, football loving beast.
    While Andrews is…well…not.

28. NoFootballtalk says: Sep 16, 2009 3:56 PM

It’s frustrating that Shawn can never play. That’s why fans get annoyed. He has the potential to dominate at his position but everytime he has a chance to step up he gets hurt. And when you think his rehab is going fine, he re-injures the back.
    And and that Philly fan shit is all on the media. A Bills fan vandalized McKelvin’s lawn. I guess that means all Bills fans are assholes. A Cardinals fan vandalized McNabb’s lawn before the NFC Championship Game. I guess all Cardinals fans are douchebags. The point is, every fan base has their jerks. Eagles fans get a bad rap from that stupid Santa snowball thing. That’s the only reason there is so much shit about them. Every team has jerks supporting it, but you never hear the media bash them. It’s always the same fcking story about Eagles fans and I’m sick of hearing it.

29. Smush Rodrigez says: Sep 16, 2009 4:00 PM

T-Money says:
    ***
    Holy crap. In Philly, they cheer when their safety absolutely creams one the loudest brash pieces of trash in the league. Wow, I bet in Dallas – they would not cheer if their defense creamed someone in the playoffs… wait – they never make the playoffs.

30. dagodfather says: Sep 16, 2009 4:30 PM

Bleedgreen, when did Shawn ever complain about his contract? Secondly, do you know anyone who has had back pain or back surgery? If you did, you would know that the back never heals, especially at his weight. You brought up last year about his depression…it was not just depression. He was diagnosed as a manic depressive. The man is literally not screwed up correctly in the head.

31. The Centurion says: Sep 16, 2009 5:06 PM

Typical Philedelphia fan. Sometimes players just have bad luck with health just like any other human, except the fact that this is a violent contact sport. Philly always has had and always will have the worst fans in sports.

32. texasPHINSfan says: Sep 16, 2009 5:12 PM

no surprise this is coming from philly fans – the same ones who boo’d the pick of McNabb (who’s led them to how many conference title games?), threw concrete at players, and are no attacking a guy & his family because of medical issues. typical.
    class on Andrew’s part to take the high road though. i can imagine how hard that must be with some of those comments posted there

33. Ocelot138 says: Sep 16, 2009 5:52 PM

# T-Money says: September 16, 2009 2:04 PM
    Two things –
    —————–
    It’s ccrazy, too, because all of those fans were MDs who correctly diagnosed from the 700 level that Irvin was done for his career. Weird, right?

34. VoxVeritas says: Sep 16, 2009 5:57 PM

“It’s not my fault my back is jacked right now.”
    Damn right it’s not. It’s Jay Ratliff’s fault. When he breaks somebody’s back it stays broken.

35. VoxVeritas says: Sep 16, 2009 6:18 PM

“we celebrate people like Shane Victorino and Chase Utley and Brian Westbrook”
    And Mike Schmidt.

36. EskinSux says: Sep 16, 2009 6:30 PM

The Centurion says:
    September 16, 2009 5:06 PM
    Philly always has had and always will have the worst fans in sports.
    ————————————————- Do you feel better now? When your momma gives you enough balls to walk into the city, and proclaim that, then i will take you for your word…..Until then, sit by your ESPN and BS innuendo, or put your money where your mouth is……Jackass…….You have probably never been here

37. EskinSux says: Sep 16, 2009 6:41 PM

Vox…….Have you repaid Jay’s truly astronomical feat……..By Buying a ticket so The Cowgirls home game isn’t blacked out? Or do you celebrate from afar?

38. Smush Rodrigez says: Sep 17, 2009 9:54 AM

texasPHINSfan says:
    September 16, 2009 5:12 PM
    ***
    Duh, it was 30 people called the “dirty thirty” who were handpicked by an idiot name Angelo Cataldi to boo if Ricky Williams was not picked.
    Most fans understand that you need a QB in place before a RB becase a RB can step right in and play as a 1st or 2nsd year player. And Duece Staley was pretty good for us.

39. Mud Hens says: Sep 17, 2009 10:36 AM

Yeah, Centurian…you are correct. Philly fans are the worst.
    They never come out to support their teams. The stadiums for all the major sports teams in Philly are always empty. Games are always blacked out. The fans just don’t care about them. Complete indifference. No passion whatsoever.
    If only Philly fans could be as great a fan as you…