T.O. talks about not talking

Bills receiver Terrell Owens, who has been criticized for bolting from the locker room after Monday night’s loss to the Patriots, talked on Wednesday about his decision not to talk.

“It’s not the first time,” he said, which apparently makes it OK.  “If you guys are upset about it, then hey, I’m not.  We lost the game, and it’s nothing different, nothing new.  I haven’t spoken to the media before, so it’s nothing new.  I’ve done it before, done it after wins, done it after losses.  I’m a very competitive guy and I felt like I wasn’t in my frame of mind to really speak to the media at that time and that’s at my discretion.”

He says that he did address the team over the game, but he didn’t say what he said.

Owens also conjured memories of his passive-aggressive “that’s my quarterback” routine from the 2007 playoffs, by calling out cornerback Leodis McKelvin without really calling him out.

“There are a number of opportunities that we missed offensively,” Owens said, “so I know a lot of people want to point the finger at Leodis and his decision to come out of the end zone, but that’s a guy that’s very competitive, trying to make a play, and I’m sure, given that situation again, he will make a better decision.”

In other words, T.O. thinks it was McKelvin’s fault.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
42 Responses to “T.O. talks about not talking”
  1. Blame Canada says: Sep 16, 2009 3:51 PM

He didnt blame it on McKelvin at all. ESPN has been putting it on McKelvin all week and he’s defending him. Quit bashing T.O. until he actually does something wrong you talking monkey

2. Vox Duh says: Sep 16, 2009 3:54 PM

who cares…really

3. Chris Fiorentino says: Sep 16, 2009 3:55 PM

Why are you putting words in T.O.’s mouth, Florio? That’s not what the guy said. Maybe if you would stick to straight reporting of the facts, instead of making sh*t up, you wouldn’t hate so much.

4. Denniscoy420 says: Sep 16, 2009 3:55 PM

In other words, bull shit, it is a team game
    you have to play your heart out for 60min
    get a win in this league, another tough heartbreaking lose for bills nation but we will keep our heads high and looking forward to the rematch DEC 20 in buffalo
    and btw f the pats

5. Stradivarius says: Sep 16, 2009 3:55 PM

“In other words, T.O. thinks it was McKelvin’s fault.”
    So does everyone else…because it was. Its not a guarantee that they would still win, but if they hold on to the ball there, they likely would have taken enough time off the clock to prevent TWO TD drives…As much as it sickens me as an Eagles fan, you gotta give those guys props for going right for the strip…

6. Iā™„Patriots says: Sep 16, 2009 3:55 PM

McKelvin was totally stripped of the ball by Merriweather and TBC really forced that fumble. Poor guy gets his yard vandalized and then T.O. sort of calls him out.

7. SlaughterMan9565 says: Sep 16, 2009 3:56 PM

It was McKelvin’s fault. Or did we not watch the same game?

8. ewm says: Sep 16, 2009 3:56 PM

“In other words, T.O. thinks it was McKelvin’s fault.”
    There you go again, trying to make something out of nothing and make TO the bad guy. Why don’t you write about the defense letting Brady score 2 touchdowns in 2 minutes…or that Jauron is a jackass.

9. SteelTown_6 says: Sep 16, 2009 3:56 PM

The seismometers in Buffalo are picking up increased activity.

10. beefcake says: Sep 16, 2009 3:56 PM

It was Mclovins fault!

11. Futt says: Sep 16, 2009 3:57 PM

“I’m a very competitive guy and I felt like I wasn’t in my frame of mind to really speak to the media at that time and that’s at my discretion.”
    Why didn’t the article stop there?
    Oh yeah, you make money off of stirring up poop.

12. Big Stretch says: Sep 16, 2009 3:58 PM

No matter who’s words it was McKelvin’s fault. The game was wrapped up all buffalo needed to do was not give it away and McKelvin being young arrogant and stupid cost his teamates what would have been a great start to the season.
    Don’t try to make an issue where there isn’t one PFT. The best thing T.O. could have done after the game was not comment.

13. stanjam says: Sep 16, 2009 3:58 PM

Wow, we are starting early disrupting the Bills. I guess it is easier to get along with a team that wins than a team that doesn’t.
    I predicted that To would start blaming people, and it starts. First with the passive aggressive stuff, then later it will be more direct. Maybe TO was the guy who vandalized the lawn

14. Zox says: Sep 16, 2009 3:59 PM

T.O. is great.
    Gives the guy an underhanded insult disguised as sticking up for him.

15. WhySoSerious says: Sep 16, 2009 4:01 PM

Wasnt it?

16. Youngone says: Sep 16, 2009 4:02 PM

Well…….it was his fault

17. RichDE55 says: Sep 16, 2009 4:02 PM

Florio…i usually like and enjoy your posts…but please dont start this crap! Thats not what the man said at all!
    Everybody is looking for the first sign of Owens starting drama in the locker room and to be the first to report on it. UNTIL it happens just report the FACTS. Stop trying to conjur up drama in your head.
    And why is it such a big deal that he didnt want to speak to the media after…HELL…i didnt want to speak to my wife after that debacle! I could only imagine what the players on the field felt. Especially Owens with all the pressure that has been put on him this year by Bills fans around here.

18. Steelers 3:16 says: Sep 16, 2009 4:05 PM

T.O. is still in the league? Hmmph.

19. Marty says: Sep 16, 2009 4:07 PM

Haha, I think thats great! I dont care what anyone says, calling a guy out for making a mistake takes guts -

20. WeaponX says: Sep 16, 2009 4:12 PM

I love how you post about T.O. not talking to the media (twice), and say nothing about the golden boy doing that pathetic interview with Suzy Kolber. He made her follow him to the tunnel to answer one stupid question. That was really weak, and his team won the game. Give Terrell a break please.

21. bobinpuertorico says: Sep 16, 2009 4:12 PM

T.O. might think it was McKelvin’s fault, but anyone who saw the game KNOWS that it was either McKelvin’s fault McKelvin had just fumbled the prior kick-off, but fortunately the Bills recovered. The Bills had their “hands team” in to be prepared for a possible on-side kick, so there would be no one to block for McKelvin. He needed to down the kick in the end zone, but he did not. One of the coaches should have told him to down the kick in the end zone (although he should have known this), but only they and McKelvin know if they did that. Once he came out, it was too late. One Patriot held him up and would not let him be tackled, while the others pulled his arms apart to get the ball. Without a turnover, the Patriots would have probably lost. McKelvin gave them what they needed. Do not try to make T.O. look bad for not lying about McKelvin’s play.

22. Levito says: Sep 16, 2009 4:16 PM

# ewm says: September 16, 2009 3:56 PM
    “In other words, T.O. thinks it was McKelvin’s fault.”

23. 10mm says: Sep 16, 2009 4:16 PM

If T.O. had not dropped that 3rd down pass the game might not as much on the line.
    GO DALLAS COWBOYS!!!!!

24. RIP__21 says: Sep 16, 2009 4:18 PM

Everyone knows it was his fault. Thats why he found a not so welcome home message on his lawn.

25. Kidekk says: Sep 16, 2009 4:18 PM

And so long to Beastie Bills. It was nice having you here….
    If T.O. said he liked Tom Brady, you’d spin it that he’s saying he doesn’t like Trent Edwards. I would love to see that interview in its entirety to see the context of the statements.

26. emulcifier says: Sep 16, 2009 4:18 PM

Jesus christ you people are like an abused lover when it comes to T.O.
    Who cares? Really? The hunt for a TO story is pathetic. That’s what I’m sick of, not him.

27. bednarik60 says: Sep 16, 2009 4:20 PM

It’s a team loss.
    But it was McKelvin’s fault.

28. WNYhell says: Sep 16, 2009 4:23 PM

When T.O. actually starts crap, feel free to call him out. In the meantime, he doesn’t need your help stirring it up. Leave him the hell alone.
    McKelvin should have taken a knee. I blame him. If I lived closer to B-lo, I might have painted his lawn too.

29. slipkid says: Sep 16, 2009 4:33 PM

next time she-ho should “not talk” about “not talking” to the media. just dont talk. walk on by.

30. SoCalSean says: Sep 16, 2009 4:47 PM

FLORIO!! Listen to WeaponX, he’s right on the money!

31. I prefer to be called Maestro says: Sep 16, 2009 4:51 PM

There are an number of opportunities we missed offensively = I was open a number of times and Trent Edwards didn’t throw me the ball.

32. opiumkid says: Sep 16, 2009 5:01 PM

No one seems to have noticed the potential upside for the Bills of McKelvin bringing that kick out. If he had downed it, there would still have been just over two minutes remaining, and the Pats would have effectively gotten an extra timeout (the two-min. warning) after one play. By running it out, he got the clock down under two minutes. That actually would have been a huge benefit for the Bills….
    You know, if he had hung onto it.
    Good move to bring it out, bad move to cough it up.

33. The Centurion says: Sep 16, 2009 5:04 PM

Florio your acting like an angry old man lately, whats wrong buddy. ESPN specializes in making a non story about TO into a story, “theres a number of oppurtunities we missed offensivly” Does not mean “Leodis McKelvin sucks and should move to Egypt because he lost the game for us”. He confirms that McKelvin should have stayed in the end zone, which we all agree with. Between the Non Touchdown in the Raider Charger game and the Bill Pats, someone needs a nap. I’ve always enjoyed your non ESPN/TMZ reporting but lately its more like star Magazine

34. texasPHINSfan says: Sep 16, 2009 5:07 PM

i didn’t read TO as saying it was McKelvin’s “fault”. He referenced how good or poor that decision was, but i don’t see or read anything about TO blaming McKelvin.
    TO also dropped the first pass thrown his way, which would have been a first down on a drive that was crossing the 50. Instead he dropped the pass and killed the drive. One could argue that the 3-7 points that could have been earned on THAT drive could have kept the game in the Bills’ favor.
    there are a lot of reasons the Bills lost the game, McKelvin is just an easy scapegoat for the fans & media. You don’t see anyone yelling at the DB who was supposed to cover Ben Watkins, do you?

35. Occam says: Sep 16, 2009 5:08 PM

Florio padding his resume for when he applies for a job at The National Enquirer??

36. Route36West says: Sep 16, 2009 5:22 PM

Let me start off by saying Im and Eagles fan so you know I wouldnt stick up for the guy unlesss he deserves it.
    But really come on give the guy a break he did nothing wrong here. Everybody critizises him for being immature and not keeping his mouth shut. Well obviously he has listened to us and learned a thing or too. The man is emoitinal (if you watched his show you would know hes pratically a female) and he knows if he would have talked after the game he would have said crazy and got himself in trouble.
    You could say he should know how to control himself in the media and he should most of the time but when your upset after a loss like that things are going to get said. So with T.O. knowing this about him self he for once did the mature thing and left it alone for a couple of days until he was able to control . I see nothign wrong with that.

37. redsquare says: Sep 16, 2009 5:41 PM

So, then…TO is measured, intelligent, and responsible in his comments, and completely appropriate in when, where, and how he delivers them. He supports his team and has a positive outlook on things.
    Where’s the story? This was pretty much entirely the case during his Dallas tenure too, but the media still wouldn’t let it be. All of the TO reporting these days is essentially milking a years-old story. If the Cowboys had a competent leadership structure and mature QB, there never would have been a story there at all.
    History will recognize TO’s outsized personality and the disruptive moments, but it will also recognize how he’s highlighted the chronic problems at more than a few franchises. To date, he’s played a big part in making three different franchises the most successful they’ve been in many years. The deeper problems with those teams take longer to surface, but surface they will.

38. Bwa Ha Ha says: Sep 16, 2009 5:44 PM

That’s my cornerback , man, that’s my cornerback

39. DaBillsDaaahhhBills says: Sep 16, 2009 6:20 PM

Stradivarius says:
    September 16, 2009 3:55 PM
    “In other words, T.O. thinks it was McKelvin’s fault.”
    Ummm, yeah stradivarius, were you watching the whole game, or did you catch sportcenter the next morning…. Following the fumble by McKelvin, New England proceeded on the game winning drive…They were down a score…Why would they need TWO TD drives when they are down 19-24 ???
    And Florio, I expected this kind of article from you about T.O., but I sincerely hoped that you would refrain from painting him in such a negative light and give him a pass (Really, what was I smoking?)… The terd that T.O. is, I am surprised that he didn’t blow up after 1 week based on his lack of involvement in the offense, the significance of the game and the huge let-down…
    In other words…WHY ARE WE NOT PRAISING T.O. for keeping it together, defending his teammates and being a vocal TEAM leader (NOT MEDIA ATTENTION HOG). T.O. spoke directly with his team first instead of the media at all…. that ought to score him some points in Florio’s Book of Public Opinion.
    I do. I think T.O. was given a huge opportunity after Monday night to be his typical self, blame the fact that he was not catching 12 passes like Moss and throw a teammate/coach or two under the bus…He didn’t. HE KEPT HIS MOUTH SHUT AND KEPT WALKING. GIVE THE MAN HIS PROPS.
    If you won’t, I will. Then again, I don’t have a following like PFT.com, so who cares, right?
    Do better, Florio. Do better.

40. DaBillsDaaahhhBills says: Sep 16, 2009 6:39 PM

Good move to bring it out, bad move to cough it up.
    YUP YUP. Totally ignored factor. But it doesn’t change anything. Sucks to be a Bills fan this week.
    Hopefully we wax Tampa and everyone can start talking about Buffalo being a surprise team this year with how well the Defense is playing through 2 weeks.
    They played more composed (outside of last 4 and a half minutes) than I’ve ever seen under Jauron..
    And does anyone remember what the score of the Bills-Pats game in Foxboro was last year…Something to the effect of 56-10.
    The Bills aren’t back. They are still clawing their way to respectability. But I, as a huge Bills fan all my life, am much more encouraged after Week 1 than I had imagined I’d be. I bet the Pats to cover 9 and 1/2 points because I was expecting a blowout.

41. Backinthesaddle says: Sep 16, 2009 6:50 PM

Let’s all just enjoy the couple of milliseconds that T.O. is not flapping his big yap. Enjoy it now because it won’t last and he’ll be undermining his teammates before the leaves change color.

42. Smush Rodrigez says: Sep 16, 2009 9:11 PM

Just curious if anyone has even mentioned the special teams coaches name (or Jauron). The coach should have told McKelvin not to bring it out of the endzone well before the play.
    How about the team not putting the game away? They did nothing but threw the ball underneath all night when they have Lee Evans a great deep threat and TO.
    Weak to blame a special teamer, everyone. And, T.O. did not blame that guy. If you have followed TO, and we know you have Florio, then you know he thinks the reason they lost was that he did not get the ball enough.
    BTW, that article by the guy in Buffalo. What a joke. So now you are a team leader by having a press conference. You arepissed kinda like a woman scorned. I shall call you Tila