McNabb doubtful for Sunday as Eagles shake up line

The Eagles say they are still hopeful that Donovan McNabb will play against the Saints Sunday, but their injury report has recognized that it’s a long shot to happen.

McNabb is listed as doubtful with his cracked rib.  Defensive lineman Victor Abiamiri is listed as questionable after injuring his groin this week and missing practice Friday.

Kevin Kolb should get the first start of his career, and will get a chance to improve his gruesome 3.7 yards-per-attempt average that he’s compiled in 45 career attempts.

Kolb will play behind an offensive line that continues to make changes.  Coach Andy Reid announced the team will rotate his three guards: Max Jean-Gilles, Nick Cole, and Stacy Andrews.  Which is a nice way of saying that Andrews has been benched.   (Jean-Gilles will replace him as a starter.)

Considering the sizable investment the team made in Andrews this offseason, this is a disappointment, no matter how it is spun.  The Eagles expected the brothers Andrews to dominate on the right side of their line together for years.

For now, neither one is in the starting lineup.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
24 Responses to “McNabb doubtful for Sunday as Eagles shake up line”
  1. juggadore says: Sep 18, 2009 2:27 PM

another thing is that they might be trying to move stacy to tackle…

2. oyoy84 says: Sep 18, 2009 2:27 PM

pussy

3. RumorMongering says: Sep 18, 2009 2:29 PM

Gregg,
    Perhaps you should mention that Stacy Andrews blew out his knee less than 9 months ago and that last game he showed he wasn’t all the way back. But that’s if you want to avoid spin. If you want to spin it into him getting “benched” then keep up your shtick. You’re a hack of a hack. How noble.

4. TheVillain112 says: Sep 18, 2009 2:31 PM

Like I said before Stacey Andrews is a bum. Not sure why Cincy thought so highly of him, or what the Eagles saw in him.
    It’s a big guy that can move, but he has no heart for blocking. He gets zero push on his run blocks and his pass blocking is just mediocre.
    Enjoying eating his contract Eagle fans.

5. Roethlisberger's Bitch Tits says: Sep 18, 2009 2:34 PM

This is no suprise to Bengals fans. Andrews blew monkey nuts as soon as he hit the starting lineup. Not to mention blowing out his knee last year, then Philly give him this mega deal. I almost died from laughter, Philly got burned bad on this one.

6. east96st says: Sep 18, 2009 2:42 PM

Smush, where are you? I told you not to count on that line until they played together in the regular season. O lines take time to jell and the big guys take a long time to heal. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen, just means you need to wait and see before declaring them the “best”.

7. BleedGreen says: Sep 18, 2009 2:48 PM

Is it possible he’s not 100% after his injury, and they just want to give him some time to rest? I honestly don’t think he looked bad at all, so the move is a little odd.

8. jtigrrrr says: Sep 18, 2009 3:00 PM

looks like Vick karma…touching base with the Eagles.

9. Hap says: Sep 18, 2009 3:02 PM

The best made plans of Mice(Eags) and Men (Lugie, I mean Lurie).

10. surefooted says: Sep 18, 2009 3:06 PM

Why is Victor Abiamiri ALWAYS hurt? I mean seriously? This guy had tremendous potential, yet is always hurt.

11. schism says: Sep 18, 2009 3:11 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if Garcia ends up taking snaps by the 2nd quarter.

12. Nobe says: Sep 18, 2009 3:13 PM

Villian12
    “Enjoying eating his contract Eagle fans.”
    How exactly will Eagle[s] fans have to eat his contract?
    Dope!

13. Hap says: Sep 18, 2009 3:33 PM

Gism nailed it. Kolb won’t last a whole 1/2.

14. gnop05 says: Sep 18, 2009 3:45 PM

# schism says: September 18, 2009 3:11 PM
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Garcia ends up taking snaps by the 2nd quarter.
    # Hap says: September 18, 2009 3:33 PM
    Gism nailed it. Kolb won’t last a whole 1/2.
    ————-
    Nope. Andy is too stubborn to replace Kolb (his almighty high-picked QB). He has yet come to admit that he made a BIG mistake by drafting this guy. I say this with evidence of the releasing of Feeley (a QB who is and always be a career backup, but gave the Pats a run for their money in their top form).
    That said, unless Kolb throws 0TDs and 3INTs in the first 1.5 quarters, then he will remain in there.
    Besides, I know Garcia is familiar with the Eagles’ system, but does he know the playbook yet??

15. teeg01 says: Sep 18, 2009 3:51 PM

Stacy Andrews is INJURED. Of course he will rotate.
    Again, stupid article. Are you writing for the “National Enquirer” too?

16. BirdFanInBearLand says: Sep 18, 2009 3:51 PM

Yeah, newsflash Eagles fans: Kevin Kolb sucks.

17. Jaydub says: Sep 18, 2009 3:56 PM

So much for the ‘best O-line in the NFL’ that we’ve been hearing asbout for months
    The huge question mark that everyone outside of Philly saw just got a little bit bigger, didn’t it?
    Too funny

18. Block says: Sep 18, 2009 4:04 PM

He’s struggling with Juan Castillo’s blocking techniques. Not shocking, as he saw very little work in the offseason while rehabbing the knee.

19. Ocelot138 says: Sep 18, 2009 4:42 PM

They should title this post “Rosenthal throws out the chum: Come and get it, Eagles haters!”

20. Smush Rodrigez says: Sep 18, 2009 5:05 PM

east96st says:
    September 18, 2009 2:42 PM
    ****
    East96st. Yes, you are correct – just like I told you when you replied. I stated that yes, you are right and that this could potentially be the best line in football and that I believed (as in opinion) that it would.
    Also, you will not hear me make excuses about injuries and such if we lose any games. It happens. THis would be unlike all of the Giants fans who cried about OSI being out.
    Lastly, please do not respond with your rediculous canned response about the number of SBs in the NFC East and how many each team has. We get it.

21. smilergrogan says: Sep 18, 2009 5:59 PM

it looked to me like the O line got push this last week. the eagles got 185 yards on the ground. for those who are rejoicing, my money is on juan castillo, who may be the most under the radar assistant coach in the league. whether andrews plays well or not, the eagles o line will gel, absent more injuries.
    to the bengal fans who are posting, i suppose you have to root for your hometown team, but really. When you have nothing good to say about your own no-heart team i guess you have to be happy about something.

22. east96st says: Sep 18, 2009 6:34 PM

Smush Rodrigez says: “THis would be unlike all of the Giants fans who cried about OSI being out.”
    I don’t remember anyone “crying”. The simple answer was Philly was able to take advantage of the fact that NY simply did not have ANY depth on their D line. Without the D line, the heart of NY’s D is gone. Reese saw that he made a mistake and rectified it by signing a couple of guys to shore up a big hole. Philly saw a weakness and exploited it. That’s how you win. Now, unless a catastrophic number of injuries happen to NY’s D (which in the NFL can happen to any team and then you just write off the season), they have more than enough bodies to fill in for normal injuries. The question now is does Philly have the necessary depth on the O line. That probably won’t be fully answered until the season is done. Personally, I think the best move Philly made was getting Garcia. He is a perfect fit for the Eagles offensive system. I know you are not a fan of the guy, but I believe he gives Philly a far, far better chance to win than Kolb or Vick does. My dream as a Giants fan is that Philly starts Vick against NY. I think NY’s D line would have a field day with that assclown as your QB. Garcia, at least, has the intelligence to throw the ball out of bounds before he gets sacked for a 22 yd loss.

23. penguininbondage says: Sep 18, 2009 6:52 PM

More like the Andrews sisters. Jesus jumping on a pogo stick! Is the entire family screwed up?

24. Smush Rodrigez says: Sep 18, 2009 7:21 PM

east96st says:
    ***
    By crying I mean all of the posts – “the Eagles only won because of this or that”…. Giants fans do this consistently.
    The other stuff you said, I agree with. Even if I do not like Garcia – he is better than Kolb/Vick.