Flutie, Kordell will work UFL games

Two quarterbacks who might have been relegated at some point during their careers to playing in the UFL will be calling its games.

We reported way back in May that former NFL quarterback Doug Flutie will be a member of the team presenting UFL games on VERSUS.  Joining him will be former NFL quarterback Kordell Stewart.

The play-by-play man will be Dave Sims, and Anita Marks (of 105.7 The Fan in Baltimore) will handle sideline reporting and features.

The first UFL game will air on October 8.  Meanwhile, VERSUS still isn’t on DirecTV

So I guess we won’t be watching the UFL.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Flutie, Kordell will work UFL games”
  1. litemater says: Sep 22, 2009 12:02 PM

At least Time Warner has something I can get, since no NFL Network available. Truly sad!!

2. Craig says: Sep 22, 2009 12:07 PM

Anita Marks is horrible. I hope she does well though so then she doesn’t have to come back to Baltimore!!!

3. texasPHINSfan says: Sep 22, 2009 12:10 PM

if anyone reads the link on the Direct TV site you posted, it’s hilarious.
    Direct TV tries to play “i’m the innocent victim” by accusing Comcast of hiking the cost of the channel 20%.
    Anyone else think this sounds strangely similar to the NFL Network/RZC fiasco? With the rates Direct TV charges, they are not in a position to complain about anything.
    Direct TV sucks and is run by a bunch of tools. I’ve had them for 10 years now and hate every minute of it. If they didn’t have a monopoly on the NFL Sunday Ticket, i’d never give them a dime….. but unfortunately it’s the only way to see my team from where i live.
    If Direct TV could go the way of Lehman Brothers, i’d be completely satisfied. Put the NFL Ticket on cable & let Direct TV die a horrible death.

4. Why Isn't Jackson Starting? says: Sep 22, 2009 12:12 PM

SLASH!

5. CD_Ridge says: Sep 22, 2009 12:13 PM

I hope Kordell finally learned to read a defense from the press box. Though, he still might be slow with his delivery and inaccurate with his analysis, much like his playing days.

6. Citizen Strange says: Sep 22, 2009 12:13 PM

Flutie, Kordell will work UFL games.
    A step below working the Vick Dog Fights.

7. Staff Sergeant Bandazewski says: Sep 22, 2009 12:16 PM

can we get anymore creative than the cookie cutter 3 man booth, female sideline reporter formula?
    I thought the UFL was supposed to be “innovative”

8. Otis Taylor 89 says: Sep 22, 2009 12:20 PM

Do you need to complete a Hail Mary to announce games?

9. underwriter says: Sep 22, 2009 12:22 PM

Anita Marks is the worst….@craig, I hope you are right. The better she does, the quicker she leaves Baltimore. SHe is nothing but a ball rider….
    Loves McGahee, wants the Ravens to trade the world for either Brandon Marshall or Bouldin…wanted TO in the off season….she is an idiot..

10. bearsrule says: Sep 22, 2009 12:27 PM

Sorry, it’s just not enough to get me to watch. So far, all I see is a mickey mouse operation, disguised as a pro football league.

11. copes cabana says: Sep 22, 2009 12:27 PM

how long before kordell tries playing with his flutie?

12. magsdad1 says: Sep 22, 2009 12:30 PM

How about this for innovative?
    No announcing, no sideline reporting, no one. Just a live feed of the game with score, quarter and time in the box.
    No Dan Dierdorf.
    No Phil Simms.
    No stupid attempts to soothe egos of former coaches and players.
    Or, better yet, put three rabid fans inside a booth with nothing but hard alcohol and snacks and just mic the room. That would be groundbreaking.

13. pacmanisathug says: Sep 22, 2009 12:33 PM

i used to look for hockey and could not find it.
    now no ufl. sux.
    luckily, there are so many channels, that i don’t even care.

14. Manbearpig says: Sep 22, 2009 12:36 PM

Is Anita Marks the one who had the Bill Walsh gaffe in the Singletary interview? If so I can see why she’s in the UFL, although I don’t really think she should have a job at all.

15. The Rural Juror says: Sep 22, 2009 12:41 PM

I couldn’t think of a better fit for the UFL.
    This is the greatest news I’ve heard in a while.
    Please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh PLEASE, let anita marks never return to sports radio…please…

16. Eddie Drycleaner says: Sep 22, 2009 1:23 PM

I happen to heart DTV, although the customer service has gone to crap ever since they started outsourcing their installation. The last couple years whenever I get new stuff installed I have to tell those morons how to do the installation and when there is a service problem I have to tell the idiot on the other end of the phone what to do to fix my problem…
    but sunday ticket rules, I can watch it on my iPhone, my Lappy, and on two big screens side by side.

17. Raiders own the Steelers says: Sep 22, 2009 1:33 PM

Uterus Football League-Useless Football League
    Undesireable Football League
    Anybody else?

18. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Sep 22, 2009 1:36 PM

# texasPHINSfan says: September 22, 2009 12:10 PM
    if anyone reads the link on the Direct TV site you posted, it’s hilarious.
    ====================================
    To each his own.
    Personally, I think Directv is the cats ass. I couldn’t ask for more, just awesome.

19. Darth_Bonham says: Sep 22, 2009 1:44 PM

Interesting, I have Direct TV and I watched the entire Stanley Cup Playoffs and Finals on Versus.

20. shaslers says: Sep 22, 2009 1:48 PM

I guess DirecTV in Canada must be a lot different that what I get in the States. Joe, I get that you hate it, but you never said why. I dumped Comcast to get DirecTV a couple of years ago and would never go back to cable. Could give you ten reasons why Comcast sucks.

21. ravensos says: Sep 22, 2009 1:57 PM

please get Anita out of Baltimore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. zeke777 says: Sep 22, 2009 2:17 PM

DirecTV and the executives at the NFL have very warm places in Hell to report to.
    The monopoly they have over The Sunday Ticket is criminal. I live in a house surrounded by trees – I have no way of getting DirecTV. Then the NFL turns around and tries to cram The NFL Network and RedZone down cable operators throats. Despicable.
    I’ll shout it from the rooftops – if you know someone who lives in the home market of your favorite team – BUY A SLINGBOX. Then go here: http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html
    Your favorite team’s games, and the ability to record them.

23. ItalianArmyGuy says: Sep 22, 2009 2:33 PM

Time for the Kordell – Mike Vick Career comparison. I’ve done this breakdown before – Kordell always wins. Keep in mind, Kordell was also a backup qb with a scoring drive in a Super Bowl, and a starting qb who led his teams to 2 home Conference Championship games. Vick never had a home Conference Championship. Here are the numbers:
    Completion %: Kordell beats Vick 55.8% to 53.8%
    TD’s passing: Kordell wins 77 to 71
    Passing yards: Kordell wins 14,746 to 11,505
    Longest pass: Kordell wins 90 yds to 74 yds
    Rushing yds: Vick wins 3,859 yds to 2,874 yds
    Rushing TDs: Kordell wins 38 to 21
    Longest run: Kordell wins 80 yds to 58 yds
    Receiving yds: Kordell wins 658 to 3
    Receiving TDs: Kordell wins 5 to 0
    Longest reception: Kordell wins 71 yds to 16 yds
    Vick only surpassed Kordell in one statistical category – rushing yards, but in total combined yardage, Kordell wins by a mile.

24. Jungle Juice says: Sep 22, 2009 3:11 PM

texasPHINSfan says:
    September 22, 2009 12:10 PM
    “Direct TV sucks and is run by a bunch of tools.”
    __________________________________
    Tx Fin I had DISH and Cable and now have DirecTV. It is WAY better than Cable or DISH IMO plus a lot cheaper than cable (Time Warner).

25. Debacled says: Sep 22, 2009 4:13 PM

It may not be the NFL, but it is certainly better than college football- a sport in which clout and consensus, not a tournament, decide who is “champion”.

26. bonecity7 says: Sep 22, 2009 5:02 PM