Bart Scott keeps the Pats chatter going

We spent last week combing through every word uttered by the Jets in hopes of finding something controversial said about the Patriots.  We found stuff.

This week, while not even trying to find stuff, we found stuff.  Actually, SNY-TV in New York elicited a quote from linebacker Bart Scott, and Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald found it.

Context?  After being held to four catches and 24 yards Sunday against the Jets, Randy Moss downplayed the talents of Jets corner Darrelle Revis, saying he (Moss) could play cornerback too if he had help from a safety on every play.

“I hear the easy cop-out by Moss [is] that anyone can play cornerback,” said Scott. “Sometimes, you got to give the man his credit, that [Revis] was the better man that day.  It doesn’t take away from the fact that Moss is a great receiver in this league but [Revis] shut him down.  Randy was coming across the middle real slow.  Tell him to man up and come across the middle like a man if he wants to be a complete receiver in this league.”

If Scott’s definition of a complete receiver is one that blocks, goes over the middle, and stretches defenses with equal effectiveness, Randy Moss will never be that.  But Moss has put together a pretty good resume despite those shortcomings.

But we do agree with Scott’s overall point.   While Moss was more than ready to say that the Jets beat the Patriots in every facet on Sunday, he wasn’t willing to say that Revis — who shut down Andre Johnson in Jets season opener — got the better of him in their individual matchup.

So consider this a down payment for the week of November 22 when the two teams meet again.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: AFC, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Bart Scott keeps the Pats chatter going”
  1. ItalianArmyGuy says: Sep 23, 2009 8:59 PM

“So consider this down payment for the week of November 22 when the two teams meet again.”
    ==========
    Why? Do you think Randy Moss is suddenly going to turn into Hines Ward prior to November 22nd, and develop some toughness? Do you think he will hit someone for the first time in his life? Do you think he will give defenders any reason to fear him, other than his height?
    I didn’t think so. This kind of chatter is pointless, since unlike Hines Ward, Moss has never backed up his talk with anything resembling physical play. And, we all know who has the rings, and who doesn’t…

2. comment_submission_error says: Sep 23, 2009 9:08 PM

Randy knows all about walking across the middle. Randy plays when he wants, and when Randy can’t play behind the DB, Randy don’t play.

3. blancanieve says: Sep 23, 2009 9:09 PM

Meow kitties

4. Ken1313 says: Sep 23, 2009 9:10 PM

Revis had a damn good game……all CB’s get help sometimes…..but they also DON’T alot of times. The guy played great…period

5. fishfan39 says: Sep 23, 2009 9:29 PM

Revis is a shutdown corner period. There is no shame on a receiver being shutdown by Revis. Moss needs to either “man up” or shut up.

6. SDMF75 says: Sep 23, 2009 9:31 PM

“Tell him to man up and come across the middle like a man if he wants to be a complete receiver in this league.”
    Bart Scott is one to talk! Hines Ward showed Bart how much of a man he is and cleaned Bart’s clock a few times. Then all Bart ever did was whine about getting hit! Just a loud mouth Raven playing for the Jets now that knows Randy won’t knock him out!

7. TheWizard says: Sep 23, 2009 9:33 PM

The Jets better keep winning, or Rex’s talking will get stale fast.
    They talk a lot for being 2 games in.

8. Richm2256 says: Sep 23, 2009 9:36 PM

Anything Randy Moss has to prove to Bart Scott (are you shitting me, Bart Scott?????) he proved in 2007.
    Someone sit Scott’s a$$ down in the Jets video room and run the 2007 Randy Moss highlight reel.
    What a bunch of punks these Jets are. Come February, the Patriots are gonna show you losers that a Super Bowl is NOT celebrated in week 2.

9. illspaz says: Sep 23, 2009 9:49 PM

Why the brackets, Tom? Makes perfect sense without them, just confuses the reader. Not trying to be a grammar nazi, just saying. If anything, it should be “I hear[d]…”
    That said, they both have good points. Without the rest of the defense, Revis wouldn’t have been able to shut him down like he did (and like he did against Andre) because the QB would have more time in the pocket, a better run game, etc… however, great corners, like Revis has been so far, give the rest of the defense more time to rush the passer, etc. It’s a game of give and take.
    Funny that the Jets CBS announcers commented during that game on Moss’s new found ability to Do Other Things, like occasionally block and go over the middle.

10. ceed says: Sep 23, 2009 9:51 PM

How can a receiver talk about playing cornerbak because of safety help? Receivers get referree help every play. They never call offensive pass interference and the corners aren’t allowed to touch the receiver after 5 yards. It is by far the most difficult position to play in today’s NFL.

11. illspaz says: Sep 23, 2009 10:40 PM

@ Richm2256
    —————————
    First off, this is exactly Moss’s point. Moss didn’t win the Super Bowl in 2007, and neither did the Pats – even if they had, it would have been as a TEAM… not him, not Brady. Can’t credit one guy when there’s 11 guys on the field – blocking, running, passing, catching, decoying, etc.
    Secondly, as much shit as the Jets have talked thus far, they know it wasn’t the Super Bowl. They were being humble, believe it or not… saying “this is OUR Super Bowl” is another way of saying “we haven’t done shit for years, the Patriots have dominated us (and everyone else), and if we beat them, it will be a HUGE self-esteem boost.” And it was. @TheWizard, and whoever wrote that article about how Rex talks too much… you know what? They were talking WAY before week 2. You do what you need to do to help your team win, I don’t care what it is. Call your fans? Stomp on Flutie Flakes? Dance around naked?
    I don’t give a shit what you do (not that I’d ever want to see Rex dance around naked), but if you pump up your team and your fans to help them win games, I’m all for it. I’m sick of people thinking “classy” means going out in interviews and reading from scripts and saying “They played hard” and “One game at a time.” Say what you mean, for once, and if you win enough games, people will respect you. I’m not pretending the Jets are going to go undefeated this year, but considering peoples’ expectations, with a rookie coach and QB, going 10-6 again would be absolutely huge.
    Nobody’s “crowning their asses” yet, but they do have the chance to be one of the best teams in the league, and they should be proud of not only what they’ve accomplished so far but what they’re capable of.

12. illspaz says: Sep 23, 2009 10:46 PM

———-
    That’s actually a great point, not to mention Moss was single covered for the majority of the game because the safeties were busy blitzing the shit out of Brady.
    Go back and watch film of Revis play his man one-on-one the first two weeks… still think he doesn’t deserve any credit?

13. BP says: Sep 23, 2009 11:00 PM

Look, even clowns as clueless as you people know the Jets took away Moss and said beat us with the rookie QB turned WR and Galloway. Of course Moss was doubled on every move over 10 yards. That helped Revis be aggressive in the 5 yard hit zone without worrying there was nobody to back him up.
    So Moss is correct. Revis played well, but sure as hell wasn’t asked to take on Moss alone all game.
    Galloway is looking as bewildered out there as you losers sound when you post. I doubt he will be tolerated much longer. Moss, Welker and Edelman are likely to be the crew quite soon.

14. billsfanaddict says: Sep 23, 2009 11:01 PM

Hate to say it but Revis is Already Among the very best @CB no doubt about it.
    Moss u got punk’d plain and simple. Revis shut you out, just like andre johnson, your stats arent a coincidence and they arent b/c of Jim friggin Lenord.
    That saftey you saw “over the top”… that was your shadow!
    Go over the middle like a man b/c in reality, noone’s there, that defense knows they dont have to roll coverage anywhere near “Revis Island”.
    HA, might as well call it Rikers Island after the way he had you locked up! Moss talking smack… Are You Kidding?!? Child Please

15. Wick says: Sep 23, 2009 11:26 PM

Scott didn’t seem too happy when a “complete receiver” lit him up on National TV not too long ago. Anyone recall Hines Ward lighting up Scott? It was all over SportsCenter and then You Tube with a bunch of other Ward kisses.
    Then, an emotional Scott ranted repeatedly vowing that he was going to “kill” Ward. These were protracted emotional outbursts. Scott was upset for months over that.
    Not too long afterwards, they played again. Instead of Scott laying waste to Ward – the video showed Scott shying away from making tackles for fear of Ward blowing him up again.
    Just interesting that Scott insists on players who come to hit, players who cross the middle, he wants complete players … but only so long as it doesn’t end up with him drinking his dinner through a straw for 8 months.
    The point is

16. Furious George says: Sep 24, 2009 12:47 AM

man, the jets have to be the most classless team ive ever heard.

17. jts28 says: Sep 24, 2009 2:00 AM

@SDMF75
    I’d like to see Hines Ward hit Bart Scott when he’s actually looking, haha. Hines Ward is tough for a receiver, but any linebacker would destroy him head to head. He only makes big hits on crack backs when the victim is caught off guard. Then he smiles cuz he knows he’s a b*tch.

18. dracula58 says: Sep 24, 2009 5:07 AM

19. A_MAC says: Sep 24, 2009 5:52 AM

get ready for the moss injury he’s b****ing out!

20. BKinacti0n says: Sep 24, 2009 7:30 AM

@jts28
    word up.

21. Ralphie says: Sep 24, 2009 8:22 AM

# dracula58 says: September 24, 2009 5:07 AM
    “Ralphie, you sound like a really tough dude. Italian Army Guy must have struck a tender nerve.”
    _______________________________
    Obviously I struck a nerve with you that you were compelled to jump in and respond?
    But this is no more tender than the nerve of the loud mouthed So Cal front running band-wagoners who can’t even sell out their home games.

22. Flying elvis says: Sep 24, 2009 8:44 AM

Name one team that would take Hines Ward over Randy Moss. hahah

23. hayward giablommi says: Sep 24, 2009 8:49 AM

It’s becoming clear that the Jesters just can’t help themselves. This has to be the most unlikable teams in recent memory, all the way from front office to head coach right on down to the players. They may be playing well on the field, but the rest of this garbage that they bring has no place in the league, in my opinion. As the saying goes, “act like you’ve been there before”.
    Their overbearing narcissism is going to result in a giant letdown this week, I have a feeling.

24. Ytsejamer1 says: Sep 24, 2009 8:56 AM

Revis did a great job against Moss and that was only a snapshot of the entire scenario…the Jets defense handed it to the Pats offense. Kudos should go out to Revis and Co… I think Moss was off-base on his comments.
    But I do agree with the sentiment that the Jets are talking way too much crap for being two games into the season. Much like the Ravens…they’ll talk all season long, then when it counts will get their lunchpail handed to them.

25. billsfanaddict says: Sep 24, 2009 9:14 AM

Wouldnt be surprised to hear Moss “pull a favre” and say that he was hurt last week and that thats why Revis-Rikers Island had his @$$ on LOCKDOWN last week.
    …..
    then goodell will call up kraft & tell him to start arson @the patsie hq b/c he was going to ‘announce an investigation’ against them

26. sim448 says: Sep 24, 2009 9:30 AM

“If Scott’s definition of a complete receiver is one that blocks, goes over the middle, and stretches defenses with equal effectiveness, Randy Moss will never be that. But Moss has put together a pretty good resume despite those shortcomings.”
    really curran? do you actually watch games anymore? In fact, during the Jets game, the announcers even talked about how surprised they are at how complete a receiver Moss has become since he came to New England. Your supposed to be an expert, why dont you act like one?….i think the Metrowest Daily News has your old job waiting for you…….

27. SDMF75 says: Sep 24, 2009 9:36 AM

@ jts28
    Hines has been popped before but you don’t hear him crying about it or threatening to kill anyone. Bart can dish it all day but when he gets leveled he whines.

28. multiplemiggs says: Sep 24, 2009 10:13 AM

hayward giablommi says:
    “It’s becoming clear that the I just just can’t help myself. I have to be the most unlikable poster in recent memory, all the way from my first post on this message board where I obsessed with the Jets and everything NY. I am a whiney, pathetic little man without any ambition and because of this…I live way to vicariously through the football team I root for. You see, I dont have much going on in my life and when the Patriots win…I feel like I win and when they lose….I feel like I did when I had to take my older sister to the prom and tell people she was my girlfriend from Canada.
    Every time the Jets win….I die a little more inside and I feel like im about to lose it. I snap at my mom for no reason whatsoever and I have been very rude to my cats lateley. If the Jets don’t lose this weekend im not going to talk to mister whiskers or Bradyboy for a week and when I do…Im going to be very sarcastic”
    Heyward……get some help buddy.

29. billsfanaddict says: Sep 24, 2009 10:35 AM

spot on “multiplemiggs”
    you should get an emmy for that
    It really sounds like you’ve ‘lived the bahstin life’
    i couldve actually thought that it was heyward talking
    wow, surreal
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

30. hayward giablommi says: Sep 24, 2009 12:27 PM

@ multiplemiggs:
    I don’t have a sister and I don’t (nor have I ever) owned a cat.
    But, to your point, when I’m at Gillette this sunday watching the Patriots get back on track, I will indeed be smiling inside as I check the Jesters score and note the inevitable letdown after their “Super Bowl victory”. Regards.

31. hayward giablommi says: Sep 24, 2009 12:47 PM

ps., multiplemiggs-
    Given the uninformed, ignorant bottom feeders that have overrun PFT, I stopped trying to be “likable” about 2-3 months ago.

32. joey-pickles says: Sep 24, 2009 1:30 PM

hayward giablommi says:
    “I don’t have a sister and I don’t (nor have I ever) owned a cat.”
    WHOOOOOOOSH!!!
    That was the sound of completely missing the joke. Lighten up buddy.
    Ironically enough, that was also the sounds at Giant’s Stadium when the Patsies got washed out by the JetStream… lol… (I couldn’t resist)…

33. billsfanaddict says: Sep 24, 2009 1:30 PM

to support the Merriam Webster definition of “to overrun” in this case we would have to find out who has the most comments after articles…..
    …hmmm, it seems as though its hayward.
    what was that about “uninformed ignorant bottom feeders” again dude?
    i missed it while you were overrunning the PFT message boards.
    hahahahahahahahahahaha

34. tj.52 says: Sep 24, 2009 1:42 PM

billsfanaddict says:
    It really sounds like you’ve ‘lived the bahstin life’
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    ———————————————————
    @billsfanaddict :
    WTF do you have to to be happy about?
    Shut up.
    My favorite Bills home game: 20,000 Patriots fans overrun “I named it after myself” stadium and start chanting “Bledddssssoooe” in the 4th quarter while the Bills get pummeled by the Pats and their fans sullenly file out with their heads down and their spirits crushed.
    Keep laughing, I’ve got plenty more memories to share.

35. dracula58 says: Sep 24, 2009 5:43 PM

Actually Ralphie, I find you amusing. Such bravado from one’s keyboard. I bet you even have your “man card” laminated.