League won't comment on whether Favre put Packers in a pickle

Earlier today, Vikings quarterback Brett Favre defended the problems he created for the Jets by talking about an injury that the team never reported by potentially creating a problem for the Packers.

“I can’t tell you how many times I probably should have been on the injury report and was not,” Favre said.

(The comment prompted one reader to predict that, eventually, Favre will do or say something to get the CEO of Wrangler jeans in trouble.)

But while a plain reading of Favre’s words suggests that the league office should investigate whether and to what extent the Packers violated the rules of the injury-reporting system during Favre’s tenure with the team, the league apparently has no plans to pursue the matter.

Asked whether the NFL will be investigating whether the Packers cheated on the injury reports during the Favre era, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said, “We are not responding to non-specific information.”

In other words, unless and until Favre says something like, “I looked like I just wanted to go home and climb in bed with a hot water bottle and a romance novel during the 2007 NFC title game because I was suffering from swine flu, polio, and/or lupus,” the league won’t be exploring whether the Packers did anything wrong.

In all fairness, however, the NFL should care enough about the integrity of the injury reports to investigate the matter, just as aggressively as the NFL investigated the Spygate scandal — and just as swiftly as the league office jumped on the Jets once Favre spilled the beans one too many times regarding the hidden biceps tendon injury.

And that’s why Favre is right when he says the fine imposed on the Jets was “very unfair.”  If other teams have gotten away with similar conduct, then it’s not fair to single out the Jets simply because Favre provided enough evidence with his out mouth to make an investigation unnecessary.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Legal, Minnesota Vikings, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
53 Responses to “League won't comment on whether Favre put Packers in a pickle”
  1. DC in OC says: Sep 23, 2009 8:27 PM

The “Curse of Favre ” is now Hovering Over Lambeau

2. Vince Drooley says: Sep 23, 2009 8:27 PM

Why can’t he just keep his mouth closed? Every time he opens it, someone else gets thrown under the bus. Idiot.

3. nothumbs says: Sep 23, 2009 8:37 PM

It’s not like the NFL hasn’t brought this up before with the teams. Man-genious skirted the rules and he got caught. I hope the NFL pursues any further allegations of tinkering with the injury report list. If I were a coach, I’d put any player with the slightest ailment on there.

4. Twiz says: Sep 23, 2009 8:38 PM

My God Florio, give it a rest and show a lil integrity!
    I guess because Curran said a few nice things about the Vikings yesterday, you feel the need to have a field day (once again) at Favre’s expense? Will you ever tire of making stuff up and tryin to give your own personal opinion of things as fact? Nope, I know that will never happen. That is the trait of a real reporter, something you are not!

5. OHbuckeyesIO says: Sep 23, 2009 8:42 PM

“In all fairness…”
    Why do you and your sister site CFT spend so much time trying to drum up controversy where none exists. It is getting lame. I read because I like Florio’s legal expertise on legal matters and insight on football.
    Trying to drum up controversy cheapens your site. You can do better.

6. LBPACKFAN says: Sep 23, 2009 8:45 PM

Is the “Curse” hovering over the meadowlands too?

7. Facts Domino says: Sep 23, 2009 8:46 PM

Fine them the Jets annual rate for the # of years he played in Green Bay.

8. TheFoo says: Sep 23, 2009 8:46 PM

Yeah, how come a big name NFL player who just started playing for a new team can’t keep his mouth closed while being interviewed by a reporter. Or having a press conference. Honestly, that’s what you’re going with? That’s pretty dense Rodney.
    NFL needs to have league medical staff on each team, and injury reports need to be handled through them.

9. 21 says: Sep 23, 2009 8:49 PM

I’m soooo impressed with how tough Brett Favre is. What he fails to mention is how many times he “should’ve” gone to rehab for his little Vicodin habit.
    Go Away.

10. Richm2256 says: Sep 23, 2009 8:54 PM

The ego on this guy is just unbelievable. Can he ever just put a cork in it, or what?
    I don’t know if he’s simply too stupid to realize what he’s saying, or he knows EXACTLY what he’s saying and would throw his own mother under the bus.
    I absolutely can’t stand the Jets, especially after what they did regarding Spygate and their own hypocrisy on the matter, but even I have to admit that Favre owed them BIGTIME for salvaging a spent career and paying him big bucks. Whether they were wrong to leave him off the injurt report aside, the least this douchebag could do is cash the checks and say nothing ….. EVER. What did the Jets organization ever do to HIM to deserve this BS?
    And now he’s busting out with the “Packers did it too – aww shucks, was I s’posed to NOT say that?” act to get back at he Packers – AGAIN?
    By the way, when the Packers cut Favre loose, I kinda sympathized with the old man. Now I realize that he simply went back on his words that he was going to retire, which left the Packers holding Aaron Rodgers in the bag.
    Favre is an egotistical, self-centered, “me first” piece of crap. I hope he totally sucks this year and has the worst year of his career, injury free to the last interception of the season.
    You are a piece of crap Favre, and the Vikes will rue the day they ever signed you.

11. bearsrule says: Sep 23, 2009 8:58 PM

I think he’s hoping to say something incriminating against the Packers brass. He’s just not smart enough.

12. comment_submission_error says: Sep 23, 2009 8:58 PM

The NFL should just embrace gambling, take a cut, and stop manipulating injury reports.

13. Wiscdave says: Sep 23, 2009 8:59 PM

Blah blah blah Favre
    Blah blah blah Favre
    You’ve become a yenta.

14. nerd says: Sep 23, 2009 9:02 PM

Wait another three weeks. Favre will be on the injury report.

15. Tundrastruck says: Sep 23, 2009 9:06 PM

Favre is proving he is a bitter old A hole

16. BradyGazelle says: Sep 23, 2009 9:09 PM

Just take a first round pick from the Packers and Jets (well, two from the Jets if the Brandon Marshall tampering is true) and we can all just move on from this.

17. ihateflorio says: Sep 23, 2009 9:10 PM

Florio wants farves pickle

18. ohandsixteenforever says: Sep 23, 2009 9:17 PM

It’s only not fair if the other teams that get caught don’t get the same penalty. If all my friends and I sell drugs but somebody else snitches on me and only me and I get arrested the judge wouldn’t look at me and say “well I’ll take it easy on you since I think everybody else is selling drugs but I just can’t prove it and it wouldn’t be fair to heavily punish just you.” It’s pretty simple actually. Get caught=get punished. Don’t get caught=don’t get punished.

19. Stoogie says: Sep 23, 2009 9:21 PM

# OHbuckeyesIO says: September 23, 2009 8:42 PM
    “In all fairness…”
    Trying to drum up controversy cheapens your site. You can do better.
    ______________________
    As much as I hate the Buckeyes (Go Badgers!), I have to agree with this take.

20. stopwhining says: Sep 23, 2009 9:26 PM

What the league should investigate is a way to shut this site down. I look a lot but wouldn’t miss it if it were gone.
    This is the stupidest post I’ve seen yet.

21. MkePackFan says: Sep 23, 2009 9:27 PM

# BradyGazelle says: September 23, 2009 9:09 PM
    ———————————-
    May as well do it for every other team in the NFL then…and if you think that it was just the Jets & Packers, you’re naive.
    For example, didn’t the Patriots have a RB w/ a separated shoulder or something like that and list him as “probable” (I want to say it’s Morris but am not for certain)?
    The amount of misdirection and false flags NFL teams use on the injury report makes the injury report a complete joke…if the league wants to solve the problem, it puts THEIR doctors onto every team’s staff and has them come out with the injury report, not the teams.

22. packerblitz says: Sep 23, 2009 9:28 PM

Man Favre sucks! I just can’t even look at this clown anymore. He went to legendary to graveyard in a matter of 2 years, hope he chokes big-time with the ultimate choking team.

23. Michael says: Sep 23, 2009 9:29 PM

You can rip Farve all you want but he is one of the only pro athletes I can actually listen to for more than a second for he rarely gives just stock answers–ie: one game at a time, one for the team, yada, yada: He is a reporters dream—even the questionable things that come out of his mouth seem sincere and at the very least, authentic…Just ask the peeps at Neilson ratings…Farve is a GOLD MINE!

24. MkePackFan says: Sep 23, 2009 9:33 PM

Richm2256 says: September 23, 2009 8:54 PM
    ————————————————–
    You obviously haven’t been watching Favre long enough…the man is incapable of NOT answering a question, and answering it truthfully.
    The nice thing is he doesn’t give the canned, scripted responses…but also it becomes infuriatingly maddening when you don’t want to hear what he has to say and the scripted responses sound, oh so much better.

25. Michael says: Sep 23, 2009 9:33 PM

Man, these posts of Farve, where’s the love? I bet the haters watch every game he plays. And FYI: I think the THOUSANDS of JET jerseys he sold helped pay his cost. I don’t think the JETS did all that bad on the deal. It’s a biz—too bad about the injury, but the rest of the team, and coaches tanked as well. TEAM GAME NO?

26. toddm6d says: Sep 23, 2009 9:38 PM

This is a non-issue, but it does produce page hits which advertisers like.

27. luigiboy says: Sep 23, 2009 9:46 PM

Does he want to dribble that pickle?

28. Fan of Football says: Sep 23, 2009 9:53 PM

Favre haters are pathetic, just reread your posts.
    lolz

29. Twiz says: Sep 23, 2009 10:12 PM

Some moron above said:
    “I read because I like Florio’s legal expertise on legal matters and insight on football.’
    My God, what planet are you from? Florio couldn’t cut it as a lawyer, he has proven time and time again he knows nothing about the legal system, instead gives his opinion instead of the law. Insight on football? Again, he presents his personal opinion as fact, runs down players/teams he doesn’t like on a constant basis and has absolutely no reporting skills whatsoever. Oh wait, its a blog, not an actual reporting site, so thats why he gets away with it!
    Rosenthal and Curran are what make this site work, not Florio!

30. Glitch says: Sep 23, 2009 10:13 PM

Rue the day? Who talks like that?

31. Bigbluefan says: Sep 23, 2009 10:21 PM

yeah he was hurt during the NFC championship he had to be it could not have been he could not deal with the Giants D and the cold
    Just like Brady was hurt in the Super bowel
    Can’t anyone just say the better team that day won
    Brett is like a little kid its always someone elses fault
    Who is to blame this year when he sucks and the Vikes choke and start looking at Moving costs to LA if the Panthers do not get there first

32. MkePackFan says: Sep 23, 2009 10:25 PM

# Michael says: September 23, 2009 9:33 PM
    ———————————————-
    Thousands of Jets jerseys offset the costs…ha!
    You’d need in the range of hundreds of thousands jerseys sold to cover the cost of his salary. The player gets a cut of jersey sales, there is the cost of producing the jersey, the NFL gets a cut of it, and then the team gets the rest of it.
    Yes, merchandise probably covered the salary costs of Favre, but it likely wasn’t just thru the jersey sales alone…not to mention the increased ticket sales (presuming there were seats going unsold prior to his arrival in NY).

33. BBrophy1 says: Sep 23, 2009 10:26 PM

you need to drop “polio” from the schtick and use the Seinfeld inspired “Epstein Barr with a twist of lyme disease”

34. spyboots says: Sep 23, 2009 10:33 PM

Facts Domino says: Fine them the Jets annual rate for the # of years he played in Green Bay.
    If they were to fine Green Bay for each year, then the Pats would need to lose 6 more first-round picks since they lost only 1 first-round pick for 7 years of cheating.

35. billsfanaddict says: Sep 23, 2009 10:51 PM

WHEW… Packers fans can Breath a Big Sigh of Relief!
    Goodell announced that he’d follow up on this “”just as aggressively as the NFL investigated the Spygate scandal “”.
    SO there wont be a drop of evidence left for anybody to see when he’s done! Roger will personally see to it that no one second guesses his judgement/punishment of GB destroying any proof.
    Basically they’ll be punished as little or much as his daily punishing regiment whims take him on that particular day.

36. Pantherfan10 says: Sep 23, 2009 10:52 PM

21 says:
    September 23, 2009 8:49 PM
    Go Away.
    ——————–
    He did go to rehab for pain killer addiction…
    you fail…Go Away

37. Vikes-N-Favre says: Sep 23, 2009 11:35 PM

It would serve GB right if they got into trouble for this seeing as though they falsely accused the Vikings of tampering with Favre in his final season as a Packer.
    What goes around, comes around Theodore Thompson and Colombo McCarthy. If you want to try and get other teams into trouble, then I hope GB gets into trouble for something that they obviously did.
    Atta boy Brett, stick it those idiots, show them whose boss. Its not that silver fox in the press box, and its not that fat cross eyed HC either. Its Brett Favre, #4 of the Minnesota Vikings.

38. longrodvanhungendong says: Sep 24, 2009 2:00 AM

Once again, if a player plays and he is actually hurt, who gives a rats ass. If he is not listed as hurt , doesnt play or he ends up on the injury report in some fashion (last minute) ……then I have a problem. These guys are all beat up after EVERY game!!! How the F could you not be?

39. eaglealan64 says: Sep 24, 2009 3:04 AM

>>>investigate the matter, just as aggressively as the NFL investigated the Spygate scandal

40. gwinn1952 says: Sep 24, 2009 7:42 AM

Who cares who is hurt and why do we have to have an injury report anyway…. This Brett story will never go away as long as the media keeps asking him questions… So let it go already.

41. sand0 says: Sep 24, 2009 8:43 AM

For 17 years, Favre talked and played the way he does now and everyone but division rivals like myself loved him. I always thought he was too dramatic for my tastes (and still do) but the announcers and GB fans always thought that was cuter than a heck when he showed off.
    Now he is still the same old Favre. He has skipped a couple training camps and changed teams twice. Green Bay didn’t want him anymore, so he kinda sorta had to change teams to keep playing. The Vikings looking very good at 2-0 makes that decision look pretty clear as well. Favre could also probably see first hand that the Green Bay talent pool was eroding under Thompson’s watch as well.
    But for some reason now everyone except Vikings fans and sane people seem to hate on him. He is the same over reacting guy. It is merely the perceptions of him and the perceptions that the media molds that have changed.
    Same Brett, different perceptions. But perception is reality so go figure on that one.

42. Chickenfoot says: Sep 24, 2009 9:14 AM

90% of the hate is coming from Packer fans.
    They claim they didn’t want thim, so, why all the anger?
    He was God when he was in GB, it was ok when he was in NY, but now he’s a Viking and he’s ” sucked for years, won’t shut up, lost us all these games”. This is the definition of hypocrisy folks.
    I find it amusing if I say that Rodgers can’t finish games, I’m told by packer fans it’s a team game, yet, Favre imploded and took the jets out of the Playoffs. Isn’t it a team game? I guess it’s only when it fits your arguement, huh? Again, pure hypocrisy.
    Packer fans think they are the greatest in the world because every home game is sold out.
    That doesn’t make you great fans, it makes you loyal fans. It sure as hell does not make you knowledgable fans. With a few exceptions( footballrulz, Beercheese) they have to be the dumbest fans ever.
    There are more smart Packer fans on this site, names are escaping me. by and large though, dumbest fanbase ever.

43. Philtration says: Sep 24, 2009 9:32 AM

Did Favre put the Packers in a pickle or his pickle in the Packers?

44. TheHydraPart2 says: Sep 24, 2009 9:55 AM

If the queens had more fans they could contend for that title. Can’t sell out a playoff game? That is proposterous.

45. Chickenfoot says: Sep 24, 2009 10:32 AM

What is preposterous is that you still post!
    The packers have 40 some more years of history than the Vikings do. Loyalty is great congrats you have the most loyal fanbase. Although the aggregate IQ of the sold out Lambeau probably equals 1,920,000—–an average of about 30 per person. I’ll leave you to your delusions that selling out the stadium somehow makes you better fans. I’m sure 99% of you packer fans on this site take credit for something you have nothing to do with. I’m willing to bet that about 2 % of you have season tickets and maybe 50% of you have ever been to more than 1 game there.
    More hypocrisy! It never ends with you asshats.

46. NAACPNOFRIENDOMINE says: Sep 24, 2009 12:08 PM

Lord Favre is doing his best to be a thorn in the foot of anyone whom he percieves wronged him. If he didn’t like the way they treated him he’s going to do everything in his power to bury them. What a little bitch, can I say that here? I know it’s wrong, but I hope he gets seriously injured. Maybe the ideal injury would be a broken jaw. Wire it shut! Of course, then his wife would again become his mouth piece.

47. Chickenfoot says: Sep 24, 2009 12:26 PM

I used 64,000 as a fram of reference. I don’t know the exact seating capacity of every stadium.
    If we use 70,000, the average IQ goes down, I’ll go along with that. it is probably less than the 30 I gave them credit for.
    Hydra = King of the Asshats!

48. footballrulz says: Sep 24, 2009 12:54 PM

@ Vikes-N-Favre
    Actually the fact that Favre could not be the boss is the reason he’s no longer a Packer. No Moss, no Marriucci, not allowing to come back after saying he wasn’t goiong to up until the last minute & then only wanting to do so half heartedly, etc. so he took his football & went home (actually to NY).
    Now he’s got his football in Minnesota which considering how the coaches in GB are screwing up by the numbers could prove to be embarassing to the Pack on Oct. 5th. They do still have to play the game though.
    One thing is for sure though, Hyda is embarassing. Please do not let him be the yardstick by which all Pack fans are measured. Please.

49. Chickenfoot says: Sep 24, 2009 1:08 PM

footballrulz:
    You are one of the good ones, don’t take any offense to what i type to Hydra.
    You see Hydra, you embarass even your fellow fans.
    ASSHAT!!

50. TheHydraPart2 says: Sep 24, 2009 1:14 PM

Rulz, I mean Chickenfoot.
    Blow me.

51. Chickenfoot says: Sep 24, 2009 2:39 PM

Asshat: Nice comeback
    Hopefully now, you just dry up and blow away.

52. Supersuckers says: Sep 24, 2009 3:58 PM

LOL!

53. Beer Cheese Soup says: Sep 26, 2009 10:07 AM

Sorry I couldn’t be here, but thank you, Rulz, for saying what I would have said.
    Hydra-
    You’re an embarrassment. A Pack fan with the intelligence and homerisms of a Viking fan. You and Bob give us all a bad name, please, just stop posting, or pick another team. Enough is enough already.
    Flaming purple colostomy bag formerly known as Ragnar-
    40 years or not, there may be some fans out there who can rightly question the loyalty of a Pack fan, but if there are, they sure as HELL aren’t the same Viking “fans” who couldn’t be bothered to sell out their first home playoff game in years. Unless YOU were at that game, or unless YOU are a season ticket holder, which you’ve said you aren’t, you can’t really say much to any of us.
    Also, Favre was never a god to anyone except Bob_Nelson and his ilk. He WAS simply a QB with a great arm and a desire to succeed at any cost. That combo led to a lot of wins for us, but it also led to some very costly mistakes.
    Not to say this isn’t a team sport, with team losses, but it’s already clear Rodgers is a much smarter player and therefore not as mistake-prone, especially now that Favre is WELL past his prime. Now I only wish we had an OL who knew how to block or a GM that was willing to admit/fix his mistakes. I know, I’ll keep wishing.