King's Island drops Halloween display based on McNair murder

We realize that the Halloween season entails routine exposure to gruesome and disturbing images.  But even when dabbling in exploded eyeballs and spilled intestines, it’s implied that good taste will still be exercised.

King’s Island in Cincinnati didn’t get the memo.

The amusement park’s Halloween Haunt initially included the scene of the Steve McNair murder.

Seriously.

But the Halloween Haunt display doesn’t open until Friday.  And, according to Clay Travis of FanHouse, the McNair murder scene won’t be part of it, thanks to the uproar that arose after video of the display emerged via a sneak peek of the Halloween Haunt experience emerged via WLWT in Cincinnati.

“There will not be a scene at our Halloween event that features Steve McNair or anyone that resembles him,” said Kings Island spokesperson Don Helbig.

Meanwhile, teenagers throughout the country now have been given a new idea for trick-or-treating costumes.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
53 Responses to “King's Island drops Halloween display based on McNair murder”
  1. BradyQuinnsCodPiece says: Sep 24, 2009 8:59 AM

I already named my fantasy team (Aff)air McNair. I might as well go all out and get me a dead Steve costume for this year.

2. Play4Blood says: Sep 24, 2009 9:05 AM

“Too soon?”

3. SuperNintendoChalmers says: Sep 24, 2009 9:06 AM

Teenagers don’t go trick-or-treating. They get drunk and try to grope and hook up with each other. True story.

4. Krow says: Sep 24, 2009 9:11 AM

Too bad. People have no sense of humor. Halloween… what do they think it’s about?

5. slipkid says: Sep 24, 2009 9:13 AM

aw shucks. i would have gone to see that.
    actually tired of going to cedar point.

6. rodstiffington says: Sep 24, 2009 9:14 AM

I wonder if the Rae Carruth murder scene passed inspection?

7. Why Isn't Jackson Starting? says: Sep 24, 2009 9:14 AM

I’d go as Brett Favre but then Adrian Peterson would have to carry me and I’d have to carry all the credit. It sounds like a lotta work.

8. Cleg says: Sep 24, 2009 9:16 AM

All the previous posts to mine are idiotic. What a stupid idea for King’s Island. They should apologize publically to decent human beings everywhere.

9. HailtotheRedskins says: Sep 24, 2009 9:16 AM

What the hell were they smoking when they came up with that idea?!

10. Ice says: Sep 24, 2009 9:16 AM

It’s Cincitucky… what did you expect? Class???

11. BrownsTown says: Sep 24, 2009 9:17 AM

Come on! Anybody with a lick of sense would know this is a bad idea. Pick your knuckles up off of the ground.

12. luke1982 says: Sep 24, 2009 9:17 AM

Old news Mike. You’re getting slow.
    Why do I have to re-register every time I post?

13. ForrestGump says: Sep 24, 2009 9:25 AM

stay classy Cincinnati

14. rodstiffington says: Sep 24, 2009 9:27 AM

Or maybe the Ray Lewis murder scene?

15. shaunypoo says: Sep 24, 2009 9:34 AM

Don’t blame Cincinnati, Kings Island is not in Cincinnati, and none of us had or want anything to do with this. That place is overrated anyway.

16. ChicagoJo says: Sep 24, 2009 9:37 AM

If someone did the costume, that’d be one thing. You see people pull borderline outfits all the time, that’s between them and whoever they’re hanging out with. It’s quite another for a business to put something on display like that, as a way to attract more customers. Quite literally, they are trying to make money off of tragedy. and the theme park sucks, particularly in comparison to cedar point, half a state north.

17. rodstiffington says: Sep 24, 2009 9:41 AM

I heard when you take the haunted house tour, Chris Benoit gives you a flying head butt then strangles you with an extension cord.

18. realityonetwo says: Sep 24, 2009 9:41 AM

It’s Kings Island, not King’s Island.

19. bearsrule says: Sep 24, 2009 9:44 AM

These kind of people give good, decent, hard working, hillbilly’s a bad name.

20. Quagmire says: Sep 24, 2009 9:48 AM

Lotta class…it’s just all low.

21. Football says: Sep 24, 2009 9:51 AM

Lets all make generalizations about a whole city based on something that an amusement park 30 miles outside the city almost did. I think that is reasonable.

22. marcduke says: Sep 24, 2009 9:55 AM

As a former employee of King’s Island, I had a thought that maybe they should look a little closer to home for their inspiration.
    I mean there have been several electrocutions as well as people being thrown from rides – mind you, this happened on the same day.
    Oh and Ice, it’s Hamiltucky – not Cincitucky – that just sounds stupid.

23. JoeSchmoe says: Sep 24, 2009 9:56 AM

And our next promo? We’re going to bring in that Braves minor league manager guy to pretend to throw grenades into the entry line and yell at them.
    Really classy KI…

24. oruacat2 says: Sep 24, 2009 10:11 AM

Obviously it is the epitome of “low class” to mock an adulterous piece of shit and his home-wrecking mistress on Halloween.
    Stupid idea, Kings Island – but still, the hero worship isn’t exactly an example of honor or good taste, either.

25. Hal Briston says: Sep 24, 2009 10:14 AM

A friend is using “McNair: Out (Head)” as her FF team name. It just hit me — she’s from Ohio.

26. marcduke says: Sep 24, 2009 10:15 AM

“Kings Island is like minor league baseball in the amusement park world…. they use sensationalistic promotions to generate attendance. Cedar Point = MLB, KI = Double A ball..”
    What’s funny is that 20 years ago, it was the exact opposite. They used to have a free ticket trade system for the employees of the two parks – maybe they still do – the Pointers would come in droves to KI, but we sure didn’t go up to that rat hole. Since then, Cedar Point has really picked up their game and Paramount has ruined a great amusement park.

27. oruacat2 says: Sep 24, 2009 10:24 AM

“These kind of people give good, decent, hard working, hillbilly’s a bad name.”
    Take a geography class, dipshit, and lay off the excessive apostrophes.

28. whuteva says: Sep 24, 2009 10:38 AM

they also had or have a scene of Heath Ledger and Michael Jackson. If done correctly, it shouldn’t be bad, but to depict them in their actual dying positions is a little excessive. should of just had a mcnair skeleton, without Becky.

29. umcouldbe says: Sep 24, 2009 10:43 AM

Kings Island hasn’t been relevant since the Brady Bunch did a show there.

30. SmackMyVickUp says: Sep 24, 2009 10:56 AM

He is free game due to his actions.
    Don’t see an issue with it, he hooked up with the crazy biotch and look where it got him.

31. CurseofBoJackson says: Sep 24, 2009 10:57 AM

32. steeler-hater says: Sep 24, 2009 11:01 AM

Some people are really messed up in the head.
    These people will wear Halloween costumes based on the Steve McNair tragedy, yet if this sort of thing were to happen to a close friend or loved one, those same clods would scream bloody murder over this if others were to wear those costumes.
    I find it odd how people can be so insensitive about this sort of thing. The excuse is always the same:
    “I don’t know these people so it doesn’t matter”…

33. researchALLwars says: Sep 24, 2009 11:04 AM

actually the Cedar Point Group now owns KI. They have for two years.
    aaaaannd Ohio rules.

34. jobiwon says: Sep 24, 2009 11:28 AM

A couple years ago, I almost went to a Halloween party as motorcycle crash toothlessburger.
    Walmart was out of the cheap jersey’s for me to destroy.

35. GoBrowns19 says: Sep 24, 2009 11:41 AM

Too bad they took it down, I would have driven down to see it!

36. BillsFan27 says: Sep 24, 2009 11:44 AM

Duh. I bet a Buckeyes fan/alum came up with that piece of marketing genius.

37. BooFNwooo says: Sep 24, 2009 11:52 AM

Get over it.

38. KaiserSoze says: Sep 24, 2009 12:07 PM

“…# GoBrowns19 says: September 24, 2009 11:41 AM
    Too bad they took it down, I would have driven down to see it!…”
    About what I’d expect from a Browns fan.
    Only in Ohio.
    / facepalm

39. Fanamine says: Sep 24, 2009 12:16 PM

CurseofBo says, “KI sucks, who cares, it’s halloween, all respsect to McNair, but if I die tragically and it’s worthy of including in a haunted house, then by all means, put my story in! You guys want a tissue?”
    I will take a tissue. You make me laugh so hard it is producing tears. You may not realize you have died, tragically, with your post. I am sure we all believe you are not worthy. It sure is getting cold in here.

40. Atlanta Love says: Sep 24, 2009 12:17 PM

Hey lets make fun of Kennedy too. How about a scene showing Farrah Fawcett withering away? Hey how about one of Swayze too? Since we are making light of tragedy and all.
    I wonder how people would feel if their loved ones who died in tragic ways were depicted in such a manner?

41. tk1966 says: Sep 24, 2009 12:25 PM

oruacat2 says:
    “These kind of people give good, decent, hard working, hillbilly’s a bad name.”
    Take a geography class, dipshit, and lay off the excessive apostrophes.
    It’ may’ not’ be’ Hilbilly’ geographically’, but’ it’ largely’ is’ in’ behavior’ and’ mentality’. I’ didn’t’ realize’ this’ until’ I’ found’ my’self’ having’ to’ visit’ the’ Cin’cy’ area’ a’ few’ year’s’ ago’ for’ my’ job’. I’ was’ suprised’ when’ I’ heard’ nearly’ everyone’ there’ describe’ almost’ every’thing’ as’ “big ol’ “. “These are some big ol’ pancakes.” That’s a big ol’ bus”. Etc’. Sound’s’ quite’ hill’billy’ to’ me’
    Now, if you want to argue geography, one could easily make the case for the Cincinnatti region truly being “hillbilly”. The term hillbilly refers to persons who live in rural and mountanous regions of the US, especially the Appalachians and the Ozarks. Geographically Cincy lies in what is known as the “Bluegrass Region” of the Us, at the periphery of the “Appalacian Plateau”. The confluence of these areas would place Cincy in an area that obviously be considered Hillbilly, and someone who would say so would certainly not be mistaken for saying so.’

42. Fanamine says: Sep 24, 2009 12:28 PM

GoClowns19 says, “Too bad they took it down, I would have driven down to see it!”
    Yes, on your way back from the training camp in Pakistan you could have stopped in for a few laughs.

43. JustinSane says: Sep 24, 2009 12:41 PM

I live in Ohio.. Ive been to Kings Island many times and thats just crazy that they were even thinking of doing that.
    And wow @ the link posted about the deaths that have happened there. I had no idea.

44. golongboyee says: Sep 24, 2009 1:30 PM

….I’d go as Peyton Manning but :
    1) I don’t think I could find a prosthetic large enough to accurately represent his billboard-sized forhead and
    2) Cannot figure out a good way to choke for over 3 hours at the party.
    LOL

45. crex43 says: Sep 24, 2009 2:16 PM

Ten bucks says one of the trick-or-treaters that comes to your house will be a dead McNair, especially in Nashville.
    I feel sorry for all of the overpaid, adulterating athletes who have to go through this pressure after they have died… Steve McNair must be in agony right now.
    Oh yeah, I remember. It’s called hell.

46. C-Murder says: Sep 24, 2009 3:45 PM

Anyone that condones their kids wear any type of custome as Mcnair are idiots and need to be turned into the Child Proctective Service. I better not see it around my neighborhood. You are all idiots for suggesting it. GET A LIFE!!!!!!

47. Kodiakal Karnage says: Sep 24, 2009 3:49 PM

I think they should’ve just run with this theme and also included:
    *The Big Ben repaired TV/rape stand scene
    (Of course, a McNulty mask alone would be enough to scare the bejeezus out of anyone)
    *The Merriman choking Tila Tequila scene
    *A continual re-enactment of the Thiesman injury…and/or the Brady injury
    *Mike “King of Canine Carnage” Vick and his House of 1000 Doggy Corpses
    *Continual playing of The Detroit Lions 2008 season on widescreen
    *Slow motion HD footage of the Williams sisters eating lunch
    *A display featuring one of T.J. Houshmanzadeh’s old English compositions
    *Any Brett Favre “retirement” press conference
    Now that there’s some truly good “horror”…

48. Kodiakal Karnage says: Sep 24, 2009 3:52 PM

steeler-hater says:
    September 24, 2009 11:01 AM
    Some people are really messed up in the head.
    “I don’t know these people so it doesn’t matter”…
    ________________________________
    “Scream bloody murder” you say?
    Was that really the BEST choice of words?
    “I don’t know these people so it doesn’t matter”…
    Of course, I might only think that because I don’t know you.

49. Dwd says: Sep 24, 2009 8:02 PM

tk1966 must have been in Cincinnati to apply for a job as a custodian somewhere. I doubt he heard the phrase “big ol’” at Cincinnati-based Fortune 500 corporations like P & G, Macy’s Department Stores, or Kroger. Or financial giants like Cincinnati Financial Corporation. Or top tier universities like UC or Xavier. I think tk1966 must have not been hired by some Cincinnati company because he wasn’t qualified, and now he has a “big ol’” stick up his, well, you know, and an ax to obviously grind against an entire region. Yeah, that’s logical….

50. Dwd says: Sep 24, 2009 8:04 PM

51. tk1966 says: Sep 24, 2009 9:08 PM

Sorry, no axe to grind here, pal. Just making an observation as I was there visiting the local schools. But my wonder is why are you so defensive? Did what I say hit a little too close to home?

52. steeler-hater says: Sep 25, 2009 1:33 AM

Kodiakal Karnage says:
    September 24, 2009 3:52 PM
    steeler-hater says:
    September 24, 2009 11:01 AM
    Some people are really messed up in the head.
    “I don’t know these people so it doesn’t matter”…
    ________________________________
    “Scream bloody murder” you say?
    Was that really the BEST choice of words?
    —————————————-
    It’s just a figure of speech.
    Chill….

53. Burris Glenn says: Sep 25, 2009 9:19 AM

The swine who thought up the McNair display and the others is named Don Helbig and he deserves to be fired and disgraced in front of his fellow roller coaster geeks.
    You can e-mail him at don.helbig@visitkingsisland.com
    Please, let him have it.