Leftwich gets the hook in Tampa, but will start next week

After a couple of solid performances in losing efforts, Buccaneers starting quarterback Byron Leftwich’s day matched the outcome of the game.

And so he was pulled during a 24-0 loss to the Giants after completing seven of 16 passes for only 22 yards and an interception.

Leftwich was replaced not by rookie Josh Freeman but by second-year man Josh Johnson, who completed four of ten passes for 36 yards.

After the game, however, coach Raheem Morris said that Leftwich will return to the starting lineup next week, against the Redskins.

“I can’t sit here and tell you that this game can be blamed on any one
man,” Morris said after the game, per Pewter Report.  Five first downs, 0-of-9 on third down, 28 yards rushing. If I
take Byron Leftwich out of the game I might as well take everyone else
out with him
.”

Meanwhile, Leftwich was at a loss for words to explain the ugly loss.

“I wish I knew [what went wrong],” Leftwich said.  “I wish I had an idea, that way you can adjust and fix
it.  Whatever it was, it was something we couldn’t find an answer to
today  Nothing worked all day; nothing went well all day. It stinks
when you play that bad because we know we’re a better team, but you
have to go back and look at it.  It’s something we did wrong because
nobody played well today.  We have to look at ourselves in the mirror
and make sure something like this never happens again.”

The Bucs travel to D.C. and then Philly before hosting the Panthers and then the Pats (in London).  Conceivably, the Buccaneers could enter their post-England bye at 0-7.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
12 Responses to “Leftwich gets the hook in Tampa, but will start next week”
  1. Abe Froeman says: Sep 27, 2009 6:54 PM

The Bucs were destroyed.

2. Animal says: Sep 27, 2009 7:05 PM

Hey Florio.. please get your facts straight.. It was Josh Johnson who entered the game ( and almost led the Bucs to a score).. it was not Freeman..
    He (Freeman) is not expected to play for a while…

3. Bigbluefan says: Sep 27, 2009 7:26 PM

Animal
    He had 4 shots from inside the 20 and could not get a TD that is not almost scored that is had the chance of the day and choked
    The Bucks were not even a good warm up for the Giants they will do well in the draft for they will have a pick in the top 5

4. promin1 says: Sep 27, 2009 7:40 PM

Hey Byron…I can tell you what went wrong. You got your ass handed to you by a way better team. Case closed. Move onto next week.

5. Animal says: Sep 27, 2009 7:54 PM

Big… that is not my point.. Florio stated in his story that it was Freeman who entered the game.. and he didnt.. it was Johnson.
    Thats all i was saying…

6. Okey says: Sep 27, 2009 8:03 PM

The truth is that Leftwich never should have even been signed in the first place. He has years worth of Games to show he is NOT going to get any team to the Championship so having him around is just wasting time.
    Having either Freeman or Johnson put into the game isn’t going to matter because neither of them is going to make things better. Freeman wasn’t that great at all in College and Johnson doesn’t even have big game experience at the college level so he likely will not live up to the hype (what little their is of him).
    Until they get a QB that can perform well at the NFL level and also likely a coach that has winning experience as a coordinator, the Bucs will stay at the bottom of the NFL.

7. Nemex0 says: Sep 27, 2009 8:27 PM

Johnson got into the Redzone and Cant Catch Clayton dropped his chances for starting against the redskins. Josh Johnson throws the ball better than lefwhich and when the giants had every one covered down field instead of forcing a pass to Kellen Winslow that probably would have been intercepted like Byron likes to do. He ran for a 13 yard gain. I would like to see him start against the redskins so the Bucs could get a win, and from there Tanard Jackson (The savior to the problems on defense that will be back during the Eagles game week five) will carry the rest of the momentum. Go Bucs!!! (Not Gonna Lie Starting to Get Nervous)

8. Nemex0 says: Sep 27, 2009 8:28 PM

9. Zaggs says: Sep 27, 2009 8:32 PM

7 passes completed for 22 yards. Ouch. 86 yards to near 400, holy crap.
    Why though with 4th and goal in the 4th quarter did they not kick a field goal? They weren’t going to win anyways but at least get some points on the board.

10. bucco bruce says: Sep 27, 2009 8:46 PM

“I can’t sit here and tell you that this game can be blamed on any one man,” Morris said after the game.
    I can blame it on one man Junior, YOU. This team has lost it’s grasp on the basic fundamentals of playing football. And YOU as the head coach deserve all the heat for it. 5 1st downs, 28 yards rushing, is disgusting. I wrote on my blog this week that we might be seeing a team which resembled teams fielded by Leeman Bennett, Sam Wyche or Richard Williamson. After watching the crap you put on display this afternoon, it was disrespectful of me to compare the product you put on the field with the former head coaches of the Bucs. If the Glazers have any respect for the fanbase, you’ll be gone after your 2-14 season. You can always go back to playing Madden, you’re a self anointed God at playing Madden, because you sure can’t coach.

11. doe22us says: Sep 27, 2009 8:55 PM

the smirk you see right now Bucs fans, is chucky’s

12. thatone says: Sep 28, 2009 12:18 PM

I can’t believe what I’m reading I’m a big buc fan but I will not pay another dime until they get rid of that mess they call a qb if all the other teams didn’t want him why in the hell we get that mistake. Start Josh Johnson. If the bucs keep this up I got 2 words to say BLACK OUT