Trotter returns to Philly

After two workouts in roughly a week and an absence of more than two years, veteran linebacker Jeremiah Trotter is back where he started.

According to Jay Glazer of FOX, the Eagles have agreed to terms with Trotter.  Per Glazer, it’s a one-year deal.

Trotter told the Philadelphia Daily News that his second workout was “two to three times better” than his initial workout.

Trotter also says that arthroscopic knee surgery from 2008 has improved his mobility.

“To say my knee is better is an understatement,” he said.

Trotter could push Omar Gaither for the starting job, which Gaither inherited when Stewart Bradley tore an ACL during training camp.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Contracts, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Trotter returns to Philly”
  1. Fike Mlorio says: Sep 29, 2009 2:38 PM

HELL YEAH, TROTTERS BACK!!!

2. McBleezy says: Sep 29, 2009 2:41 PM

Trotter’s gimpy old ass is no threat.
    Please start him.

3. Stradivarius says: Sep 29, 2009 2:41 PM

WOO HOO! Welcome back!

4. jkidd49 says: Sep 29, 2009 2:51 PM

Are Chuck Bednarik and Eric Allen still available too?

5. WildBirdOffense says: Sep 29, 2009 2:52 PM

See….this is a good, well written, INFORMATIVE article for profootballtalk.com — it’s what got me started with profootballtalk.com in the first place, articles like this that is. The BS you and your imbeciles have been posting lately has been atrocious though. Get back to the basics Florio.

6. straverse says: Sep 29, 2009 2:55 PM

Oh my goodness

7. Rickah99 says: Sep 29, 2009 2:55 PM

Eagles just add more and more depth! Smart move! Can only help for a deep play off run! I invite all the Dallas and Washington fans to sit by and watch!

8. Mike Vick, Pet Detective says: Sep 29, 2009 2:55 PM

Chuck Bednarik is available. Might as well bring him back too.
    The Eagles are a joke. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

9. MJacks44 says: Sep 29, 2009 2:57 PM

This comes as a shock to me. Doesn’t follow the current youth movement the Eagles are currently following. Not to many have noticed but the Eagles have been in Re-Building mode without missing much of a beat. Two years ago, many said the window was closing on the Eagles. The window is now wide open and their roster is currently set up for another 5+ year run with a lot of young impact players. I commend AR and the Eagles front office. Bringing Trotter back surprises me but at this point, if AR liked what he saw, I have faith in this decision. Hopefully the AX man can give this defense the edge it needs.

10. My Vick In A Box says: Sep 29, 2009 2:58 PM

Tony Romo just dropped a duece.

11. pubicreign says: Sep 29, 2009 3:05 PM

NICE…..Trotter is a BEAST! Now I can kick the dust of my old Trot Jersey.

12. SliKRiK says: Sep 29, 2009 3:06 PM

okay I was a fan of Trotter when he was an eagle but this dude is old… Why didn’t they keep B. Dawk when they had the chance and why didn’t they resign Big Jon Runyun? This team confuses the hell outa me.. And above all we sign a quarterback that we don’t need… wtf?

13. Maximus15 says: Sep 29, 2009 3:07 PM

HELL YES!!!!!! Welcome back, Trotter!!!

14. Bwa Ha Ha says: Sep 29, 2009 3:10 PM

If he is healthy, he will start

15. zeke777 says: Sep 29, 2009 3:14 PM

Welcome back, Trot! The Eagles wouldn’t have signed him if he couldn’t make an impact.

16. deez says: Sep 29, 2009 3:15 PM

not that old, TROT is 32 years old….welcome back

17. straverse says: Sep 29, 2009 3:23 PM

SliKRiK- Because Trotter costs about 1/8 of what Dawk did and has no other bidders. Secondly, if you’re talking about Garcia, he’ll be gone with this signing. If you’re talking about Vick, then I agree 100%.

18. Zukny says: Sep 29, 2009 3:24 PM

I love my Eagles, but I don’t understand this move.
    Trotter LOST his job to Omar Gaither 2 years ago! Why bring him back? I can’t see how Trot helps this team, but I hope I am wrong.

19. Poopdollar says: Sep 29, 2009 3:33 PM

Trotter is 32. Also please quit with the other past player comments, they aren’t even original or funny. Again, the Eagles know more than you do so give him a chance before you rip him. You know who is a real joke, the Cowboys – Romo is such a fairy, evidenced by Beason busting through the middle and Romo screaming and turning out of the way like a little girl.

20. Porscheblack says: Sep 29, 2009 3:33 PM

Sweet… maybe this means the Redskins will sign Lavar Arrington!

21. leatherneck says: Sep 29, 2009 3:36 PM

Did you know that the Eagles are the only NFL team whose nickname begins with a vowel?
    I bet Trotter makes a solid contribution for the Eagles.

22. SlaveToBankers says: Sep 29, 2009 3:38 PM

For those saying Trot is old, he is actually only 32 (as opposed to Dawk’s 35). Furthermore, he’s been out of football the last two years, without the accompanying wear and tear. If the surgery actually cleaned up his knee problems, meaning he’s no longer gimpy (which I assume is what they looked for in the “tryouts”), then he is a far better interim solution than D. Brooks would, given the axe man’s familiarity with the defense.
    Obviously, the ripples from S. Bradley’s injury are still being felt. This is as much about leadership. and generalship on the field as it is about Trotter’s physical abilities. I’m not saying he’s going to play like he did the first go-round, but A. Reid is NOT one for sentimental signings, so he must feel pretty good about Trotter is he’s signing him.

23. Resolution says: Sep 29, 2009 3:38 PM

time & knee issues will always slow down people, he is no exception. 6,7,8,9 years ago he _was_ a beast. Now, I think he’ll be average – which of course isn’t bad for the eagles, they need depth. I cannot WAIT to see Jacobs, Jones and Portis light him up on runs though.
    Not as fast as he once was + semi-recovered knee = will get hit HARD by NFCEast running backs. Look for some good highlight involving him – good and bad. Jacobs, Barber and Portis will look to seriously test what he has left.

24. straverse says: Sep 29, 2009 3:42 PM

Poopdollar- How about when Crayton ran out of bounds to avoid contact with the Punter?

25. Mike Vick, Pet Detective says: Sep 29, 2009 3:46 PM

Philly should bring back Chris T. Jones for some depth at receiver.
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
    What a joke of an organization.
    O Super Bowl wins.

26. Mike Vick, Pet Detective says: Sep 29, 2009 3:48 PM

What the hell, bring back Freddie Mitchell too.

27. filthymcnasty says: Sep 29, 2009 3:52 PM

God knows the Skins could use the help.

28. VickIsNoQB says: Sep 29, 2009 3:53 PM

Bill Bergey come in… Bill, you out there? …what’s your 20?

29. Mike Vick, Pet Detective says: Sep 29, 2009 4:05 PM

The Eagles are irrelevant. Nobody else even wanted Trotter.

30. antneejay2 says: Sep 29, 2009 4:10 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
    The preceding was a vain attempt to convince someone (anyone, please!) that they just read something humorous. Yeah, I know. It’s beyond weak. Right, Mike Vick Pet Detective?
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

31. eaglesfan4408 says: Sep 29, 2009 4:20 PM

I think this was a great signing…is trot a little beaten up(yea) can he still be a beast in run D(yes) even when he was young pass cover was not a strong suit…lets see what happens

32. antneejay2 says: Sep 29, 2009 4:23 PM

Hey Mike Vick, Pet etc.
    That’s about your forth or fifth comment on a post concerning the Eagles. I see relevance there. I also see that they’re living in your head.
    Oh, I almost forgot:
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

33. Poopdollar says: Sep 29, 2009 4:42 PM

straverse, seriously – that team is a joke..can’t wait to play them this year.
    antneejay2, way to call him out. Its like romper room in here, slightly retarded individuals
    Dont let them get to you – we will just show it on the field. Djack is top 5 receivers in the NFL and by the time the end of the season is near, our offense WILL BE clicking as if it isn’t now. See you in the Super Bowl cockaroaches.

34. jan van flac says: Sep 29, 2009 4:45 PM

He won’t start…this is about depth, and veteran leadership on what has become a very young team. But i bet he opens a can of whoop-ass on someone real soon.

35. Ocelot138 says: Sep 29, 2009 4:57 PM

THE AXE-MAN COMETH!

36. VoxVeritas says: Sep 29, 2009 5:28 PM

If they wanted an old, washed-up hasbeen that Cowboys players have a lot of experience running over they could have called Andre Waters.
    Wait…

37. VoxVeritas says: Sep 29, 2009 5:40 PM

“Two years ago, many said the window was closing on the Eagles. The window is now wide open”
    Based on what? Signing Trotter? 31 NFL teams passed on that JAG and you think the 2-1 Eagirls are cntenders because they signed him?

38. straverse says: Sep 29, 2009 5:44 PM

Classy, Vox. Too bad your current ‘boys won’t even attempt to run over a punter.

39. Jim Grasmeder says: Sep 29, 2009 5:55 PM

Let me see. They don’t sign Dawkins because they don’t think they need leaders so they sign Trotter to be a leader???? I really don’t get why THEY DON’T WIN SUPERBOWLS!!!!

40. VoxVeritas says: Sep 29, 2009 6:06 PM

“But i bet he opens a can of whoop-ass on someone real soon.”
    He should take care that he doesn’t spill it on himself.

41. laeagle says: Sep 29, 2009 8:04 PM

Hey Vox,
    How about you open your mouth when either:
    1) The Cowgirls lose to the Eagles by less than 20 points
    Or
    2) The Cowgirls win a playoff game?
    Since I don’t see either one happening anytime soon, you can safely go back to reading about your quarterback in People magazine.

42. Smush Rodrigez says: Sep 29, 2009 8:09 PM

I noticed Crayton step out so he did not get hit by the punter as well. What a pussy. Also Romo intentional grounding…..
    I also noticed Gruden with Romo’s sack in his mouth all game. I am surprised Florio hasn’t had an article linking his verbal fellatio to potential new coach.

43. jan van flac says: Sep 29, 2009 9:55 PM

Trotter says he feels better now than he felt during his second year in the league. I wouldn’t doubt him. Signing him is a no brainer… he’s taking the spot of the 4th QB. if he can’t run, he won’t see the field except maybe on short yardage. If he can (and by all accounts he can), he’s still one of the hardest hitters in the NFL.
    Denver made Dawkins the NFL’s highest paid safety, on a multi year deal, at 36…so there is no comparing the two situations..