Vikes come clean on Harvin's migraines

Last week, Vikings coach Brad Childress was coy regarding the illness that knocked receiver Percy Harvin out of practice for Thursday and Friday.

Word eventually emerged that Harvin was suffering from migraines.

A week later, Chilly came clean.

The head coach said Wednesday that the Vikings did “extensive due diligence” regarding the situation prior to picking Harvin in the first round of the 2009, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Per the Star Tribune, Harvin attempts to control the migraines with medication as soon as they start, but there’s an unpredictability that applies. Also, the Vikings have been “proactive” in helping Harvin seek improved treatment for the prevention and control of the migraines.

That’s fine.  Great, actually.  But they did Harvin a disservice last week by doing nothing to knock down speculation arising from his third illness since May, which ranged from swine flu to a marijuana-induced stupor.

Of course, the marijuana theories arise from a report — unrebutted by Harvin or his agent — that Harvin tested positive for the substance at the Scouting Combine in February.  But if that positive test landed Harvin in the league’s substance-abuse program, he’s surely not smoking anything other than bubble gum cigarettes now, since he’s subject to multiple unannounced tests, each and every month.

So against that background, Childress should have acknowledged the problem last week.  Failure to do so only triggered new doubts about Harvin.

Which, of course, were erased with his one-cut dash to the end zone as part of a 101-yard kick return on Sunday.

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Injuries, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
57 Responses to “Vikes come clean on Harvin's migraines”
  1. Krow says: Oct 1, 2009 7:39 AM

A college kid smoking dope !!! I’m shocked. Clearly he must be punished for the rest of his life.

2. Pestilence1972 says: Oct 1, 2009 7:39 AM

Ironically, marijuana is supposed to be magic against migraines. I have a brother who had a serious head injury about 20 years ago. He has a doctor’s perscription in California for kind bud. Says its the only thing that can touch his headaches.
    I think my brother really likes smoking pot too. So, don’t take his word for it…

3. DonTerrelli says: Oct 1, 2009 7:39 AM

Percy Harvin the next Charles Rogers?

4. gaklein says: Oct 1, 2009 7:41 AM

I’m not a fan of his, but I do feel for him. I suffer from periodic migraines (usually brought on by no liquids for an extended period of time), and they’re flat-out debilitating. For those of you who think migraines are just a little worse than headaches, imagine feeling like something is trying to break out of the front of your head, and you can’t do anything to alleviate the pain. I wish him luck in competing in the NFL with this problem. He’ll need it.

5. Pthingholm says: Oct 1, 2009 7:43 AM

Great playmaker, and the touchdown return last week was amazing – but we tend to give him too much credit. I simply dont get the comparision to Randy Moss! compared to Moss, Harvin is just a short slow dude, and the only similarity is their love towards marijuana…

6. Bun McSticky says: Oct 1, 2009 7:49 AM

Vikes ‘come clean’? What? Childress handles all absences exactly the same way he did with Harvin’s. Its the media that creates any drama or mystery. You are all a bunch of National Enquirer whores now….

7. jj730 says: Oct 1, 2009 7:55 AM

“Failure to do so only triggered new doubts about Harvin.”
    The only person whoever had “new doubts” was you with your conspiracy theory. He was on the injury report. What more do you want really?

8. VikesFreak says: Oct 1, 2009 7:58 AM

Bun – I completely agree…Making mountains out of molehills here…like always…

9. Bud Grant says: Oct 1, 2009 8:03 AM

Did it ever occur to you that Harvin preferred to keep his medical history private? I assume that you do not suffer from migraines. I have, since the 1st grade. That’s almost 50 years. Over the years I have learned how to control them, somewhat, but I learned far earlier that headaches were considered a dodge. You were dogging it. You were faking it to get out of something. So you learn to keep it to yourself, and you tough it out until you can’t anymore. If Harvin wants his privacy, that’s fine with me. In fact, I have more respect for him now.

10. Emoney says: Oct 1, 2009 8:08 AM

11. sand0 says: Oct 1, 2009 8:08 AM

Compared to Moss, Harvin is an entirely different type of player. Moss had blazing top end speed with good acceleration and average quickness. His first step was not very quick, but once he got going he could really turn it on. Moss also had an uncanny ability to judge the ball in the air and get it at its highest point without telegraphing its location to the defender.
    Harvin has an explosive first step. His acceleration and quickness are phenomenal. His running style is more downhill with cuts made at full speed so people sometimes don’t realize how quick he actually is. And if you think he is slow you are badly mistaken. Look at the replay of his 101 yard touchdown and focus on the 49ers players. Look how they move relative to Harvin. The guy is blazing fast.
    Harvin was the second best WR in the draft and the best playmaker. It was health and character concerns that dropped him down. Remember what he did at Florida? Remember the national championship game? Dude is a stud.

12. lebowski says: Oct 1, 2009 8:08 AM

Charles Rogers?? Short slow dude?? Wish the Packers had a dude that slow returning kickoffs that could take it to the house once in a blue moon. Legalize marijuana, outlaw booze.

13. beetlejuice says: Oct 1, 2009 8:12 AM

Bun McSticky………..You made sure you read it didn’t you!

14. gwinn1952 says: Oct 1, 2009 8:13 AM

Why are we so into player’s illnesses. He’s like anyone else…they do get sick. Has to be more going on in the NFL then trying to get to the bottom of Harvin’s illness. Leave the kid alone…..he played Sunday and did a great job.

15. mnmaverick says: Oct 1, 2009 8:14 AM

Harvin has been the best receiver on the Vikes so far this year. A rookie, that should say something.

16. bearsrule says: Oct 1, 2009 8:18 AM

I posted this twice last week and got ripped by Viking fans for doing so. Hell, I was on Harvin’s side. Why would they let him get skewered in the media for possible off the field problems, when they could have saved the kid a bunch of grief??!! On the other hand, why didn’t Harvin or his agent say something ? He had a legit illness.

17. skinny pigeon says: Oct 1, 2009 8:21 AM

Acupuncture and prozac.

18. TheBigOldDog says: Oct 1, 2009 8:26 AM

Bud Grant says:
    …but I learned far earlier that headaches were considered a dodge. You were dogging it. You were faking it to get out of something. So you learn to keep it to yourself, and you tough it out until you can’t anymore…
    *************
    Amen Brother. Amen. That attitude infuriates me to no end. Of coarse their attitude changes to shock if they happen to see you experience a full blown episode (in my case a Cluster).

19. ItalianArmyGuy says: Oct 1, 2009 8:35 AM

Soft knocks at the door)
    CHONG: Who is it?
    CHEECH: It’s me, Dave. Open up, man, I got the stuff.
    (More knocks)
    CHONG: Who is it?
    CHEECH: It’s me, Dave, man. Open up, I got the stuff.
    CHONG: Who?
    CHEECH: It’s, Dave, man. Open up, I think the cops saw me come in here.
    (More knocks)
    CHONG: Who is it?
    CHEECH: It’s, Dave, man. Will you open up, I got the stuff with me.
    CHONG: Who?
    CHEECH: Dave, man. Open up.
    CHONG: Dave?
    CHEECH: Yeah, Dave. C’mon, man, open up, I think the cops saw me.
    CHONG: Dave’s not here.

20. Fan_Of_ Four says: Oct 1, 2009 8:37 AM

Marijuana-induced stupor?
    As opposed to the Millions of hypocritical fans that drive their drunk a$$es home from the game ?
    Give me a GD break. I don’t use or condone the sh!t but busting his balls over something millions of people do everyday, including other players, guys in the media, school teachers, Lawyers, Dr.s and members of congress is pathetic.

21. sethb22 says: Oct 1, 2009 8:39 AM

Maybe he smokes for the migranes???
    Let me get a lil for my cataracts??? Smokey!

22. packerblitz says: Oct 1, 2009 8:43 AM

“Charles Rogers?? Short slow dude?? Wish the Packers had a dude that slow returning kickoffs that could take it to the house once in a blue moon.”
    Will Blackmon anyone?
    Scorched Minny last year for a beautiful punt return for TD!

23. jimmySee says: Oct 1, 2009 8:46 AM

If he were with a CA team, Percy could get a prescription for the ganja and use it to help with the migraines.
    How about a Crabtree for Harvin trade?

24. sim448 says: Oct 1, 2009 8:49 AM

what? this article made no sense. he is in the hospital and weed has something to do with it? what speculation? seriously, what the hell is going on with PFT??? I think Florio was burning one when he wrote this nonsense.

25. Kidekk says: Oct 1, 2009 9:06 AM

HIPAA be damned for the Harvin because you say so.

26. leatherneck says: Oct 1, 2009 9:08 AM

Migraines suck. I wonder what causes them. Maybe we’ll find a cure one day.

27. ItalianStallion says: Oct 1, 2009 9:18 AM

Just give him a “triptan” (naratriptan, eltriptan, zolmitriptan etc.) and an NSAID and he should be set, hehe. That, and he should drink more coffee when he gets migraines, but watch out, it’s a diuretic. The NFL might think he’s masking something.

28. Seeryer says: Oct 1, 2009 9:26 AM

When this issue was noted on this site last week I commented that he had migraine problems at UF. A “marijuana-induced stupor” Florio? Did you used to work for the US drug czar? That is one dramatic phrase.

29. alobar26 says: Oct 1, 2009 9:30 AM

Florio, your position seems to be this: Because we in the media are going to just make stuff up if we don’t know the truth, it is the coach’s responsibility to tell us everything we want to know. If the coach doesn’t tell us everything we want to know, it is his fault when we just make sh*t up. Nice reasoning for a lawyer.

30. Chickenfoot says: Oct 1, 2009 9:32 AM

PackerBlitz: Who didn’t have a return against Minnesota last year? There was like 7 of them.
    Comparing Blackmon to Harvin is laughable.
    Jimmysee:
    No thanks, Crabtree has bust written all over him.
    He may have just been a system player at Texas Tech. I’d keep Harvin, he’s producing a TD per week so far.

31. Twiz says: Oct 1, 2009 9:53 AM

The way I see it, only the media made the ASSumptions, which of course includes you Florio!
    I don’t believe there is anywhere that says the Vikings (or any team) needs to respond when idgits make ASSumptions that are wrong.
    You are just upset that you didn’t know the truth and were forced to speculate (ASSume)
    Are you seeing the trend here?

32. Whatever says: Oct 1, 2009 10:04 AM

The most significant physiological effect that marijuana has on the human body is that it increases bloodflow to the brain. Many migranes result from a contstriction of blood flow to the brain. So, yes, weed can be “magic” for helping with migranes.
    I used to have really bad migranes (unilateral numbness, vision “spots”, naseau, etc. along with the unbearable pain ), and an MRI revealed that I have an enlarged brain lobe that constricts a major blood vessel in the base of my skull.
    Ever since I started using marijuana occasionally, I have literally stopped having migranes. Yes, it’s enjoyable and I’m not claiming to use it strictly as medicine. Before you think this post is the rambling product of a drug-crazed stoner, I am an attorney that graduated in the top of my class from the best law school in the state.
    It’s really too bad that Percy is in the substance program because it prevents him from using a potentially helpful medicine. The NFL (and society) shouldn’t care about player pot use since it doens’t enhance performance.

33. purpleguy says: Oct 1, 2009 10:05 AM

Hope he figures out how to manage the migranes, but if he plays like he did Sunday after recovering from a migrane, maybe he should get one every Tuesday.

34. ZN0rseman says: Oct 1, 2009 10:06 AM

Lot’s of great players in NFL history have been the victims of chronic migraine headaches. (Remember Terrell Davis in the Super Bowl against the Packers?) So I don’t see why it’s such a big deal that Harvin is suffering from them.
    $0.02,
    –Z

35. WP says: Oct 1, 2009 10:40 AM

I experienced one migraine in my lifetime after having spinal surgery. A little spinal fluid leaked out out from my spinal cord. Thank God I was still in the hospital at the time so I had medical help right away.
    I would NEVER want to feel that again. I love life but that was the only time I wished I could die.
    I feel for the guy if thats what is happening with him.

36. WP says: Oct 1, 2009 10:44 AM

Chickenfoot…I know this isn’t the topic but I’m going to say right now that I really hope Crabtree re-enters next years draft and ends up being a 7th round pick and then cut.

37. mattzach2 says: Oct 1, 2009 10:47 AM

Florio,
    You act like everything that happens to the players is your business and that you have the right to know. Hate to be the one to tell you, but its none of your business.

38. idio says: Oct 1, 2009 10:56 AM

“That’s fine. Great, actually. But they did Harvin a disservice last week by doing nothing to knock down speculation arising from his third illness since May, which ranged from swine flu to a marijuana-induced stupor.”
    Yes, shame on Childress for forgetting that there is no such thing as journalistic integrity. Doesn’t he know that someone when someone with a blog levels an accusation it’s Serious Business??!
    “So against that background, Childress should have acknowledged the problem last week. Failure to do so only triggered new doubts about Harvin.”
    Which you took at face value because.. you’re what, five years old? You believe everything you read? Interesting. I have a bridge I’d like to sell you…
    I’m a Bears fan and I thought Harvin would be a bust, but seriously this is idiotic. If I was Childress, I’d tell the media to F off, and tell them to like it.

39. Bob Nelson says: Oct 1, 2009 11:11 AM

So he treats his migraines with medical marijuana and the substance abuse policy ends up in another Minnesota Court?

40. Dewey ActSwooned says: Oct 1, 2009 11:12 AM

I’m sure he just hits Favre up for some Vicodin whenever it happens–problem solved.

41. Chickenfoot says: Oct 1, 2009 11:27 AM

Great!
    Dewey’s Back! My favorite punching bag.
    Then there is old Bob. No Packer threads so this moron has to show up on Vikings threads.
    Jealousy will get you nowhere Bob. What will be even funnier is when Jolly gets suspended. Guess we will be changing your didies by the hour then, huh?
    I bet when you got your 5th DWI, you didn’t try to find some law, any law, to get you out of it, did you?
    Asshat.

42. ZombieRevolution says: Oct 1, 2009 11:45 AM

“But they did Harvin a disservice last week by doing nothing to knock down speculation…
    Failure to do so only triggered new doubts about Harvin.”
    If NFL teams addressed speculation by every website, especially this one, they would never have time for anything else. Maybe PFT should stop speculating so much.
    In the end I’m not sure how speculation like PFT’s triggered new doubts in anyone other than PFT.

43. texasPHINSfan says: Oct 1, 2009 11:46 AM

i don’t know if you guys know this, but marijuana is frequently prescribed for those with chronic migraines (i mean the *real* migraines, not the bad headaches we get and mis-use the word to describe).
    if you’ve ever had the real migraines, they’re absolutely horrible. and marijuana does alleviate the tension/symptoms.
    obviously i can’t claim that is the reason why harvin had smoked in the first place, but it lends credibility to why he would pop positive for it at the combine.
    hopefully the vikes can help him get it under control with methods or medicines that the government doesn’t deem “illegal” (rolleyes)

44. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Oct 1, 2009 11:47 AM

Boils down to chili is an idiot, not even a viking fan can argue that.

45. PackerHaiku says: Oct 1, 2009 11:51 AM

Harvin’s got migraines
    He should ask Brett Favre for some
    Children’s Tylenol

46. texasPHINSfan says: Oct 1, 2009 11:56 AM

Emoney says:
    October 1, 2009 8:08 AM
    “Not true. I can tell you from my own experience that it never helps headaches. I don’t even enjoy it when I have a bad headache. You’re actually wasting it because the headache pain outweighs the high. But then again, everyone’s different. I’m sure some crackheads will tell you that crack will get rid of your headache too.”
    ———————————————–
    it may not work for you, but it works for most of the rest of the migraine community. there are medical research papers out there proving the alleviations of marijuana on migraines. no medical treatment for anything is 100% universal, but it has proven it has its merits with a vast majority of test subjects. i can provide links, but you’re not going to read them.
    it works for many migraine sufferers, including members of my family who swear by it. it doesn’t cure migraines, but it makes them much more tolerable.
    I can’t say that’s why Percy smokes, but it makes it a little easier to not want to crucify him for doing so. :shrug:

47. Dewey ActSwooned says: Oct 1, 2009 12:14 PM

Chickenheart,
    I never went away…I just re-un-re-un-re-reun-unretired again, like your Lord & Savior, your newest favorite pin-up girl, Bratt Fakre.

48. footballrulz says: Oct 1, 2009 12:19 PM

Well, at least now I know why I’ve never had a migraine.
    Chickenfoot–that got anything to do with Hagar’s new band?

49. TrueFan says: Oct 1, 2009 12:25 PM

Bun McSticky –
    You really don’t watch much football do you?
    I don’t get comparisons to Moss either, as Moss has amazing hands, timing, leaping ability that are almost unmatched in the NFL. He had them from day 1. The comparisons I’m sure come from wishful fans of the Vikings wanting him to be as impactful.
    But you are really out of touch to think Harvin is “slow.” That is a truly dopey statement. He is in fact one of the FASTEST in the league.
    AND I would dare to say his “quickness” is better than Randy Moss. Moss was never great getting UP to speed. He just has a great top speed once there.

50. Chickenfoot says: Oct 1, 2009 12:38 PM

Nah, you disappeared when the Pack beat the Bears.
    Just like you accused the Vikings fans of doing.
    Just had to wait until they were 2-1 to come back huh? That’s ok, i didn’t expect any less out of you.
    Lions get thier 2nd win Sunday!
    You are pitiful.

51. Chickenfoot says: Oct 1, 2009 12:40 PM

Yeah it does Rulz. It rocks. Have you heard it yet?
    It’s too bad it’s not permanent. Chad Smith has to go back for a Red Hot Chili Peppers reunion.

52. ItalianStallion says: Oct 1, 2009 3:46 PM

“Many migranes result from a contstriction of blood flow to the brain. So, yes, weed can be “magic” for helping with migranes.”
    You are incorrect, most migraines are caused by vasodilation in the brain, not constriction. That is why vasoconstrictors like caffeine, serotonin agonists (triptans) etc. work.

53. Whatever says: Oct 1, 2009 5:10 PM

@ItalianStallion:
    Dude. Read what I wrote. It’s literally impossible that it’s incorrect. How can I be incorrect by saying “many”? It’s impossible that I’m incorrect unless I’m the only person on the planet with my diagnosis. Which is quite unlikely. I didn’t say “most” or anything definitive like that because I am not in the migrane medical research field. But I do know that vasodilation, which drops the blood pressure, also results in a decrease of blood flow the brain JUST LIKE A CONSTRICTED BLOOD VESSEL TO THE BRAIN decreases the blood flow to the brain. It’s the same general idea, and weed WOULD help someone either way (with a vasodilation-caused migrane or someone with my probelem) because it would increase the blood flow to the brain.

54. GBISFULLOFFATTIES says: Oct 1, 2009 6:07 PM

TheBigOldDog:
    Cluster headaches are on a WHOLE NEW LEVEL. I’m so sorry if you still experience them. I luckly haven’t had one in 8 years “high-school” but I remember wanting not to be alive. I would get an unimaginable burn/pounding pain right above my left eye in the upper right hand section about an inch in and that would make tears run down my face without knowing It was happening. I couldn’t respond to nurses and or doctor’s because the pain was too much. I had to be placed in a sound proof room with no light. Worst moments of my life!
    Harvin is looking good, happy to see :D but Sanchez has my vote for rookie of the year

55. ItalianStallion says: Oct 1, 2009 6:10 PM

Whatever, you may not believe you are incorrect, but you are. Saying it’s the same general idea does not make it any more right. How would a decrease in pressure result in less blood flow? if anything MORE blood would flow in an attempt to restore homeostasis and pressure (which is a main reason people feel pain, because of the “overreaction” of the rebound flow). If constriction had anything to do with causing migraines, why are most of the peer-reviewed and validated treatments vasoconstrictors?
    Even if you want to increase blood flow to the brain there’s many better ways to do it than with weed.

56. ItalianStallion says: Oct 1, 2009 6:35 PM

Fact is, most migraines are multifactorial. There’s even some belief that it has a lot to do with malfunctioning nerve transmission in the brain, which are largely unrelated to blood flood.
    It seems like everyone likes to say weed is some wonder drug and use a migraine as an excuse to use it, when in reality it is seldom remotely close to the best treatment out there.

57. kirk tousaw says: Oct 1, 2009 7:54 PM

The first hit is a published study from 1998 discussing marijuana as an aid to dealing with migraines. Dr. Russo, the author, is probably the most knowledgeable cannabis researcher on the planet.
    The second is a published report from 2005 discussing the use of cannabis to prevent migraines due to “Since cannabinoids have been reported to have both a peripheral vasoconstrictor effect and an ability to inhibit platelet serotonin release induced by migraineur’s plasma, they may have a specific migraine prophylactic effect.”
    Best treatment? Who knows. The answer to that question is patient-specific, isn’t it? But what is clear and indisputable is that cannabis is a very safe (indeed exceptionally safe) therapeutic plant. Heck the DEA’s own judge said “Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man. By any measure of rational analysis marijuana can be safely used within a supervised routine of medical care.” So if it works for people why on earth is that a problem?
    I’m waiting for the day when a professional athlete in a legal medicinal cannabis state fails a drug test and has the guts to challenge any sanction as a violation of his/her legal rights (and/or human rights).