Smith not quite on same page as Schwartz

Lions head coach Jim Schwartz played coy about the likelihood of running back Kevin Smith being able to play with his injured shoulder Sunday at Chicago.

“There’s a big difference in non-padded practices on Thursday and Friday and an NFL football game,” Schwatz pointed out, according to Carlos Monarrez of the Detroit Free Press.  “Still got a long way to go.  We’ll know a little bit more tomorrow, maybe a little bit more Sunday morning.”

Reporters in Detroit found out a lot sooner than Schwartz expected.

Speaking to Tom Kowalski of MLive.com, Smith said after working out Friday, “I’m going to play.  It’s football so I’m sure I’ll have to endure some pain, but it’s good enough to go.  I feel healthy enough to play at a high level.  I wouldn’t go out there and [practice Thursday and Friday] and not play.”

Of course, Schwartz will be pumped  to hear that his running back is feeling so confident of being able to play.  So pumped, that he’ll likely approach Smith at some point to ask him why he hid such valuable information from his head coach.

I’m sure they’ll get to the bottom of it.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, NFC, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
16 Responses to “Smith not quite on same page as Schwartz”
  1. severs28 says: Oct 2, 2009 3:04 PM

Smith has to be running strong for them to have a shot against the Bears.

2. Mastro says: Oct 2, 2009 3:11 PM

Have a big fantasy match-up this week and I’m not sure what two RBs to start between Kevin Smith, McFadden, Ronnie Brown, and Chad Brown. Anybody have any thoughts?

3. Dewey ActSwooned says: Oct 2, 2009 3:17 PM

Against the BEARS no less. In Soldier Field.
    Just a friendly tip for you, Tom:
    The correct phrase is “a __ lot”–two words. Big space between them.
    Whenever you are about to use the phrase, picture in your head–LITERALLY–a whole parking lot, filled with whatever it is you happen to be saying there is “a lot” of…
    Like, there’s a (parking) lot (full of) reasons the Bears SHOULD win this game on Sunday, but a (parking) lot (full) of things can go wrong, too.
    Either way, I plan on drinking a (parking) lot (full) of beer.
    See?

4. zeakman says: Oct 2, 2009 3:17 PM

a lot

5. faulkn22 says: Oct 2, 2009 3:18 PM

That’s the ONLY problem with Kevin Smith… He runs his mouth too damn much. Making playoff predictions on a 16 game losing streak and telling the media your going to play when the coaching staff wouldn’t want the opponent to know, even if you were.
    On the field, he’s a stud. Off it… he needs to get a hobby which doesn’t involve mingling with all the talking heads in the media.

6. Abe Froeman says: Oct 2, 2009 3:53 PM

“a lot” is one of my pet peeves as will.
    But we’re just gonna assume this was a type, right?

7. DWat393 says: Oct 2, 2009 3:53 PM

Mastro says:
    October 2, 2009 3:11 PM
    ………………………………………………………………………..
    I’d say of those four, Ronnie Brown is pretty much a must-start on a weekly basis.
    Otherwise, this week, I’d go with McFadden. He’s facing a Texans run defense that ranks dead last against the run this year, giving up a ridiculous 614 yards (204.7 YPG) on the ground. Plus, considering his upcoming schedule after this week–NYG, Philly, NYJ, San Diego–this week is your best bet for production. If he doesn’t do anything this week…uh oh…

8. simple_simon1 says: Oct 2, 2009 3:59 PM

faulkn22:
    “He runs his mouth too damn much”
    What are you smoking? He’s only ever said two things and you just mentioned them both. This is hardly running your mouth. In fact, most of the big mouths in the NFL could learn a lesson from the Lions. They might not have been good for some time, but you never heard word one from anybody during that horrible last season.
    On the other hand, yes, on the field he is a stud. I still say, if he can stay healthy I think he can easily have a better career than Forte just because they have good young talent and he’s not the only player on the team having to carry the workload. We’ll see though. Last year he only started 8 games on a 0-16 team, barely got the ball, and still almost had 1000 yd’s. That’s impressive.
    As for Sunday, tough try for my Lions. I called them to beat the Redskins, I don’t know about this one. But I hope they can do enough to win in Soldier Field. Gotta get pressure on Cutler and slow down the game and control the ball on offense. If that happens, could be good.

9. PatriotsSuck!! says: Oct 2, 2009 4:04 PM

I say Mcfadden and Ronnie Brown Mastro, dont start mcfadden and expect much though, but im planning on a breakout game.

10. SlipperyPete says: Oct 2, 2009 4:19 PM

Abe Froeman says:
    October 2, 2009 3:53 PM
    “a lot” is one of my pet peeves as will.
    But we’re just gonna assume this was a type, right?
    ……………………………………
    Absolutely. We’ll just assume it was a type. As will as any other instance “alot” gets typoed.

11. Rick says: Oct 2, 2009 4:19 PM

is it forward or foward

12. WP says: Oct 2, 2009 4:22 PM

McFadden and Forte are up and coming BUSTS!

13. faulkn22 says: Oct 2, 2009 5:04 PM

Simple Simon, you should do your homework if you want to try and demean something that someone says. Those are mearly his two latest gafs with a microphone in his face. Here are some others in his short NFL career…
    He predicted 20 rushing touchdowns last year and finished with 8. (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/172620-kevin-smiths-2009-lions-predictions-good-but-wrong)
    Last year he predicted that not only would we be a playoff team, but we would win a playoff game. (http://www.realdetroitweekly.com/content/printer_4579.shtml)
    Upon being asked about the 0-16 season, Kevin said “we weren’t even that far off last year.” Not far off? I feel like screaming “playoffs, why are you talking about playoffs, are you kidding me, playoffs!?!”(http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1330-Detroit-Lions-Examiner~y2009m5d10-Kevin-Smith-cares-not-for-pragmatism)
    At the end of the day, great players shut their mouths and let their play do their talking. Kevin would be amazing if he would just do that. End of story.
    So, unless you’ve got anything else rediculously laughable to say, stick to insulting yourself, Simon… or as you would say, put that in your pipe and smoke it.
    PS: You said that we went 0-16 and didn’t have gafs with the media. How about our offensive coordinator saying not to start Stanton because he would embarass himself.
    I stand firmly by what I’ve said, he needs to shut his mouth and run the football.

14. FumbleNuts says: Oct 2, 2009 5:42 PM

May the Schwartz be with you!

15. LL Live says: Oct 2, 2009 6:46 PM

Florio is such a Schwatz…I know Tom wrote this, but it just fits Florio’s pic and attitiude!

16. Matti Mahacnarblar says: Oct 2, 2009 9:48 PM

Does nobody think Schwartz was playing a Belichick and saying his best offensive weapon (Come on as good as Calvin Johnson is the passing game hasn’t really got going due to a leaky O-Line) is 50-50 to get the bears to plan for either situation???